HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign UFA D Cam Barker to 1-Year, $700K Deal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 03:45 AM
  #376
Bougieman
Registered User
 
Bougieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Can you imagine this thread if Barker did good with us?
It's going to be funny, because I personally think he's gonna stick with the team. He's worked REALLY hard to get back to this point. The stats don't tell the whole story with this guy.

The Canucks know what they're doing, you guys. Have a little faith. Chris Higgins wasn't wanted by anyone either when he came here, and now look at him. Solid part of the team.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:56 AM
  #377
Intoewsables
 
 
Intoewsables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
let's see if this signing either pans out or is a bust. gillis loves to have reclaimination projects and having players reviving their careers.
There's nothing to revive. He's always been horrible.

Though, maybe if we acquire Toews, Kane, Sharp and Keith and stick him on the PP with them...

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:13 AM
  #378
The Optimist
Registered User
 
The Optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SFU
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoewsables View Post

Though, maybe if we acquire Toews, Kane, Sharp and Keith and stick him on the PP with them...
I'd rather have Sedins, Edler and Kesler when it comes to the PP.

The Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:17 AM
  #379
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilib View Post
My understanding of the new CBA is, there are no waivers. We can recall him whenever necessary and since his cap is under 900k, there is zero penalty to the Canucks.
I believe there are still down waivers just no longer recall waivers.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:42 AM
  #380
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
It's going to be funny, because I personally think he's gonna stick with the team. He's worked REALLY hard to get back to this point. The stats don't tell the whole story with this guy.
He really hasn't. He sucked in the AHL — avoided contact and played with no heart, I would hardly call that working hard. I'll be happy if this works out but there's been a lot of dubious arguments pro Barker in this thread.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:10 AM
  #381
maroon 6
Live and let live
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
It's going to be funny, because I personally think he's gonna stick with the team. He's worked REALLY hard to get back to this point. The stats don't tell the whole story with this guy.

The Canucks know what they're doing, you guys. Have a little faith. Chris Higgins wasn't wanted by anyone either when he came here, and now look at him. Solid part of the team.
Or he can turn into Marco Sturm...

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:45 AM
  #382
Pseudonymous
Registered User
 
Pseudonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
Or he can turn into Marco Sturm...
I dont think people would have cared much about Marco sturm not working out if his salary was 700k

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:58 AM
  #383
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
Or he can turn into Marco Sturm...
And be flipped for something? Cool.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:00 AM
  #384
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He really hasn't. He sucked in the AHL avoided contact and played with no heart, I would hardly call that working hard. I'll be happy if this works out but there's been a lot of dubious arguments pro Barker in this thread.
I dont think anyone is expecting big things from him. In fact most people probably expect him to fail. But MG always has some angle.

Maybe Barker plays well enough it convinces another team desperate for a offensive Dman to give up a 3rd or a 4th.

Theres your 3rd or 4th you bought for $700,000(pro rata).

Unless hes taking up valuable space to me this is near enough a non-issue.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:37 AM
  #385
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,428
vCash: 500
So what exactly is the risk for a 'Cup or bust' team? That he singlehandedly costs us the Cup? Because outside if that, I don't see what harm he can really do. Give Edmonton fans ammo? They'll find something to latch onto anyway. Seems pretty far fetched to me, is that the risk we're talking about? Because I really don't see how else this hurts the Canucks. Cup is all that matters, so unless Barker gets in the way of that, who really cares?

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:12 AM
  #386
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,193
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
They've made some questionable decisions. That GA has more to do with having 2 outstanding goaltenders. They stood on their heads many nights.
So the teams above them didn't have the same thing?

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:20 AM
  #387
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,193
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuckInOttawa View Post
Even though Canucks is one of the richest teams in the league, they must have a limit on their budget. I don't know how much you earn but $700,000 is a lot of money.

With that money, I'm sure they could arrange at least a few more trips to see more prospects before wasting draft picks on garbage players. (I hope they did'nt make those garbage picks that they made in the past even after seeing them in person. )
You do realize that the team does need a guy to sit in the press box and be that 8th dman and he is required to be paid at least the league minimum?

Holy overblown reactions to signing a depth defenceman.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:36 AM
  #388
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
You do realize that the team does need a guy to sit in the press box and be that 8th dman and he is required to be paid at least the league minimum?

Holy overblown reactions to signing a depth defenceman.
Maybe we should have one of our top defenseman prospects rotting away in our press box instead? Totally agree. The hate going on in this thread is ridiculous.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:48 AM
  #389
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
Chris Higgins wasn't wanted by anyone either when he came here, and now look at him. Solid part of the team.
AV, is that you?

I'd love to hear anything other similarity between Higgins and Barker than "both played for lots of teams" -- because there aren't any.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:53 AM
  #390
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I dont think anyone is expecting big things from him. In fact most people probably expect him to fail. But MG always has some angle.

Maybe Barker plays well enough it convinces another team desperate for a offensive Dman to give up a 3rd or a 4th.

Theres your 3rd or 4th you bought for $700,000(pro rata).

Unless hes taking up valuable space to me this is near enough a non-issue.
Considering there's about a 12-15% chance of a 3rd round pick having any sort of career in the NHL, I don't think a 3rd round pick is worth $500,000 or whatever the cost of that is. And considering there's probably only a 1 in 5 chance of Barker even playing that well (that's being really charitable, but for argument's sake I'll give you 20%), you're looking at a 2.5 million dollar "risk" for a 3rd round pick? I don't see it.

I think it's just bad scouting.


Last edited by Proto: 01-14-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:01 AM
  #391
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
You do realize that the team does need a guy to sit in the press box and be that 8th dman and he is required to be paid at least the league minimum?

Holy overblown reactions to signing a depth defenceman.
Our 8th D-man saw quite a bit of action the past two years. I would say it's smart to have somebody reliable in that role. Cam Barker is not "somebody reliable."

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:04 AM
  #392
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
So what exactly is the risk for a 'Cup or bust' team? That he singlehandedly costs us the Cup? Because outside if that, I don't see what harm he can really do. Give Edmonton fans ammo? They'll find something to latch onto anyway. Seems pretty far fetched to me, is that the risk we're talking about? Because I really don't see how else this hurts the Canucks. Cup is all that matters, so unless Barker gets in the way of that, who really cares?
I don't understand this argument. When you look at recent history, there's a decent chance the Canucks will end up playing a significant number of defensemen this season. You don't have to go back far -- to both the 2010 and 2011 post-season -- to see what happens when defensemen play far out of their depth: a decent safe 6-7 guy like Aaron Rome starts to be a liability; a slightly less decent 6-7 guy like Shane O'Brien gets crushed; your better defensemen that are still playing (or injured) start to look a lot worse; your really questionable 6-7 guys like Alberts look awful and start costing the team games. Cam Barker is demonstrably worse than all of these players. If he ends up in the line-up because "lol #3 pick", the team will be worse for it.

In more than 2000 EV minutes over recent seasons, Andrew Alberts has outscored Cam Barker. So there's that.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:10 AM
  #393
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
God help you all if he gets a chance to play in your top 6

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:17 AM
  #394
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Our 8th D-man saw quite a bit of action the past two years. I would say it's smart to have somebody reliable in that role. Cam Barker is not "somebody reliable."
Cam Barker has the toolbox of a PMD, whereas someone like Jim Vandermeer is a pure mucker with no offensive skill. Considering our lack of offensive options on the back end, if someone like Edler goes down to injury we would be stuck replacing him with Andrew Alberts. Not ideal. Whether or not Barker has any tools in his toolbox remains to be seen, but it's really not a bad gamble.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:22 AM
  #395
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Cam Barker has the toolbox of a PMD, whereas someone like Jim Vandermeer is a pure mucker with no offensive skill. Considering our lack of offensive options on the back end, if someone like Edler goes down to injury we would be stuck replacing him with Andrew Alberts. Not ideal. Whether or not Barker has any tools in his toolbox remains to be seen, but it's really not a bad gamble.
Why is it relevant that he's a PMD if he's completely brutal in his own zone? He won't be able to take shifts with the Sedins or the 2nd line to provide that puck movement due to the difficult match-ups they face. He's certainly not going to be out there with the 3rd line. So that leaves the 4th line where his puck moving skills are worthless.

Not to mention that he showed very little of his supposed skills in the AHL. He was at best a #4 in the AHL and showed nothing offensively.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:27 AM
  #396
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
Chris Higgins wasn't wanted by anyone either when he came here, and now look at him. Solid part of the team.
Incorrect. The Flames wanted to re-sign him but due to their cap problems - they couldn't afford to offer him anything more than the min. cap hit. His offense continued to struggle in Calgary but he was a more than a respectable defensive forward.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:28 AM
  #397
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Why is it relevant that he's a PMD if he's completely brutal in his own zone? Not to mention that he showed very little of his supposed skills in the AHL.
Why does it matter if Vandermeer is competent in his own zone if he's completely brutal in the offensive zone? Our team relies on offense coming from the back end, so if one of our PMD's gets hurt we could be screwed, that's why.

And like I said, we will see if he's able to actually play that role if need be. In Chicago he didn't do too bad, while elsewhere he was terrible. As a 7th or 8th defenseman he isn't a bad gamble.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:00 AM
  #398
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
God help you all if he gets a chance to play in your top 6
Not playing on the worst team in the NHL will automatically make him look a little better.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:03 AM
  #399
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Cam Barker has the toolbox of a PMD, whereas someone like Jim Vandermeer is a pure mucker with no offensive skill. Considering our lack of offensive options on the back end, if someone like Edler goes down to injury we would be stuck replacing him with Andrew Alberts. Not ideal. Whether or not Barker has any tools in his toolbox remains to be seen, but it's really not a bad gamble.
In his last 2000+ 5 on 5 minutes, Andrew Alberts has outscored Cam Barker 5 to 3 while only being SLIGHTLY AWFUL™ in his own end, rather than SUBLIMELY AWFUL™.

Barker's defense is so bad I sometimes wonder if it's actually post-moderm performance art. Is he desconstructing our notion of reality?

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:06 AM
  #400
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
And like I said, we will see if he's able to actually play that role if need be. In Chicago he didn't do too bad, while elsewhere he was terrible. As a 7th or 8th defenseman he isn't a bad gamble.
I'd say his numbers in Chicago while surrounded with a great cast of players were quite bad when you consider that he had 60% offensize zone starts in his "good" year. Just a mirage. Like when K. Foster got a big payday for putting up 40 points on the Lightning PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Why does it matter if Vandermeer is competent in his own zone if he's completely brutal in the offensive zone? Our team relies on offense coming from the back end, so if one of our PMD's gets hurt we could be screwed, that's why.

And like I said, we will see if he's able to actually play that role if need be. In Chicago he didn't do too bad, while elsewhere he was terrible. As a 7th or 8th defenseman he isn't a bad gamble.
At least Vandermeer plays respectable hockey at one end of the rink. Barker doesn't play it at either.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.