HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign UFA D Cam Barker to 1-Year, $700K Deal

Old
01-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Still don't like this. I know MG likes to browse the bargain bin, but this might be one too far. Okay sure, it's unlikely Barker will see NHL time, but c'mon. Granted we don't know where he's at, maybe he underwent some major soul-searching crisis and emerged a new man, maybe some kindly passing surgeon cut his head open and stuck a new brain in it, maybe it's a top secret CIA experiment in cloning or some new Blade Runner kind of robot and Aquilini decided to do a favour for someone high up...personally I just don't see it.

Still rather that contract spot was taken up by Vandermeer.
I think it's more a matter of thinking this is a player with some talent that they might be able to extract from him with some proper coaching (who knows if he'll actually get it from Arniel?) and a system he might be more apt to succeed in. You can find plugs like Vandermeer anywhere but if you can reclamate a talented guy like Barker you might actually have something...if not, he goes back into the scrap heap. Same thing they tried with Parent.

The scouts may like Barker, but he's going to have to pass the AV "smell test"...MA Gragnani didn't pass it, chances are Barker won't either...but it won't hurt to look.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
This.

Honestly, HF is becoming more and more like a group of adolescent girls who like to freak out over everything, no matter how minute.
Agree. Although I might say it always has been this way.

One thing is for sure, even if he earns his contract at a serviceable rate, people will give him zero credit as far as his any benefits he could possibly show. Rome is a great example of what the peanut gallery does if they decide someone is never going to be in their good graces. He vastly outperformed his contract and beat out more higher paid players for a roster spot, yet he was the whipping boy. Unfortunately that's the best case he has to look forward to.

Jay Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:17 PM
NYVanfan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
Agree. Although I might say it always has been this way.

One thing is for sure, even if he earns his contract at a serviceable rate, people will give him zero credit as far as his any benefits he could possibly show. Rome is a great example of what the peanut gallery does if they decide someone is never going to be in their good graces. He vastly outperformed his contract and beat out more higher paid players for a roster spot, yet he was the whipping boy. Unfortunately that's the best case he has to look forward to.
Not always.
6-7 years ago it was really good

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:18 PM
David71

how long before nucks mgmnt decides that barker can never be that touted player that was drafted 3rd overall and sends him to waivers

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:20 PM
NYVanfan

I dont mind the move ...low risk
But i dont really even see where this guy plays...doesnt seem like a bottom pairing type on this team..
I guess it is like MAG. ...see if he can handle 2nd unit PP and limited mins...likely not

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:27 PM
JUMBOcanuck

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
how long before nucks mgmnt decides that barker can never be that touted player that was drafted 3rd overall and sends him to waivers
He's a depth signing, I highly doubt they're expecting him to break out and be the player everyone thought he might be when he was drafted.

JUMBOcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Waste of contract space.

Mind boggling signing.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
So...Has anyone found out yet if he plays the right side?

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Shareefruck

Low-to-medium risk, barely any reward, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
So...Has anyone found out yet if he plays the right side?
yes, he's very versatile at being ****

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:48 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
At the 700 k salary level they aren't looking for glory.

He is #8 on the depth chart, and insurance for injury/rest to our top players.

If he turns out to be horrible back there...not a big loss considering he will likely play less than 25 games and play 5 minutes a night and costs next to nothing.

If he resurrects his career, even better.

Its his big chance. His last one, and he knows it. They signed a cheap, talented yet underperforming and motivated player. Worth the risk.

No surprise its being criticized here by our know-nothing fan base that expects the Canucks to be an all-star team from top to bottom.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:50 PM
kanuck87

He's going to be used as the 8th defenseman. I don't know why some of you are mad.

Who did you all think we could get as our 8th defenseman?

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
The new aaron rome

Bgav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:58 PM
GJB
- - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
He's going to be used as the 8th defenseman. I don't know why some of you are mad.

Bieksa
Edler
Alberts
Garrison
Hamhuis
Ballard

I think after that it's Tanev/Joslin/Barker but no guarantee Barker is better than either one.

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:

Didn't you know? Anton Rodin could be traded for Chara, and Salo wouldve signed for Barker money because this city is so nice and to play on a contender....

Old
01-13-2013, 05:00 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Bieksa
Edler
Alberts
Garrison
Hamhuis
Ballard

I think after that it's Tanev/Joslin/Barker but no guarantee Barker is better than either one.

Hamhuis---Bieksa
Edler---Garrison
Ballard---Tanev

Alberts

Then Barker.

Relax kids. Whether the Canucks win the cup or lose, is not going to be due to Cam Barker's presence.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Bieksa
Edler
Alberts
Garrison
Hamhuis
Ballard

Barker is definitely not better than Tanev. That makes him or Joslin the #8 defenseman and the other one helps out down on the farm.

What's the problem here?

Old
01-13-2013, 05:10 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Barker is definitely not better than Tanev. That makes him or Joslin the #8 defenseman and the other one helps out down on the farm.

What's the problem here?
Because a lot of the fans here think that the NHL=NHL 13

Old
01-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Bieksa
Edler
Alberts
Garrison
Hamhuis
Ballard

I see Tanev as further ahead on the depth chart than Alberts.

That makes Barker #8 min (regardless of what the Canucks get in any type of trade for a Luongo or Raymond) unless he knocks someone's socks off and what is the harm in that?

We have some AHL depth if Barker is true 100% crap and we have no commitment to play him any time if he isn't performing. If he is even crap for our farm team, I couldn't care less. Our farm team is the place for prospects and to help their development. I don't care what their record is on the ice and if they have a weak cog in the wheel. They have more than one already, I'll tell you that.

Jay Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiver View Post
Because a lot of the fans here think that the NHL=NHL 13
You'd think with the reaction this signing has garnered, that we just spent 3 or 4 million for him to be in our top-6.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Smug Nation feels like this:
"What will probably happen is that Barker will continue to have bad luck with his ankles and other parts. But if he is healthy, the guy is better than useless. If playing healthy and at the top of his game, Barker is possibly preferable to Andrew “There Are No Bad Penalties” Alberts as a left side fill-in, and for a shade under 410,000 real dollars this year its a gamble I can get my head around. Unfortunately for this column and Canucks fans, Cam Barker’s nickname could have also been “No Bad Penalties” but instead is “Will Break for Lateral Movement,” so I might just be trying to convince myself about another reclamation project. Yeah, I definitely am. Still, fingers crossed that Barker comes into the lineup to fill in during a 2nd-round bloodbath versus the Blackhawks and plays like a 3rd overall pick for once."

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:16 PM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

vCash: 53
Wiling to give him a chance, I mean, we do still have Ballard and everyone gives him season after season to perform. It's just depth.

OgoBoHo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Reign Nateo

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/11...shot-rates-cba

Just to shed a little light on his AHL stint, he wasn't exactly awful according to this article, and his release was more mutual as he only ever signed a 25 game PTO. He very well may have only wanted to play those games. I couldn't find anything on specifically why he was released, so just speculating.

There's a good chance he was brought in to run the Moose PP. Aquilini can afford pricey AHL PP QBs and the Wolves are known for demanding competitive vets from their parent clubs.

The sky may not be falling...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
If it was announced that the Canucks signed a 26 year old number 8 defenceman with 300 NHL games and 94 points to his credit, for 700K though he's got some warts, we'd be happy. Call that player Cam Barker and we should fire Gillis lol...
I certainly hope you are aware of the hypocracy in your posts?

You prattle on about how people are overreactionary and not able to look at this at rationally.

Then you make a flippant remark that anyone disagrees with this and thinks it's a terrible move thinks we should fire Gillis over it? That's the argument of a weak mind.

Personally the reason I hate this move so much is that's another in a line of poor scouting moves. Letting Ehrhoff walk while keeping Ballard, bringing back Alberts, signing Sturm, trading for Booth (jury is out I admit, but I don't like his game much), trading for Pahlsson (he was clearly done as a top nine forward), letting Rome go while keeping Alberts again, now this. The only good move in between IMO was signing Garrison, which while Gillis deserves credit, is another BC boy coming home like Hamhuis, so Gillis had a clear edge.

It's just that, the more I look at Gillis' record, the only really impressive work he's done is with contracts and Cap management. Nothing else really stands out as above average.

He's not a bad GM by any means. But I stuggle to see this elite GM so many other Canuck fans seem to see.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:23 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
The sky may not be falling...
I can't even believe that this could be the possible reaction to this signing. If we had re-signed MAG, this thread would not go 4 pages, but because it's a former #3 overall pick who has gone on to become a massive bust and a relatively terrible hockey player, some people are about ready to jump off a bridge.

Look at the context people.