HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

This Year's Trade Dealine

Old
01-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
This Year's Trade Dealine

With the shortened season, and a Trade Deadline so close to the End of the Regular season I think this could be one of the most active Trade Deadlines Ever.

I Foresee many teams being within 5 points of a Playoff Spot and That will lead to a Sellers market.

This may be a great Year to be CBJ. As of Right Now I can't think of Too many teams that realistically have zero shot at the Playoffs right now.

Right now I can see them in Sell mode and Potentially create a frenzy for their players.

Some players that Might be prime for the picking are Umberger and Brassard. They may be able to get great packages for those players.

Another candidate could be Calgary with Jbo and Iginla. In-fact if im a Calgary fan this year, i root for them not to make the playoffs because the interest in those two players could net them a great package.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:15 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Dallas could sell a ton with all of our older wingers. Jagr, Ryder, and Morrow all have contracts expiring after this season, and if we're out of it, I could see at least one of them being moved. Whitney possibly, as well, and Robidas.

If not, we might be looking to acquire help on D gearing up for a playoff run. Nothing major, just a #4-5 if our prospects aren't ready yet.

We'd also be more than willing to hold on to their cap hits (or however much we can) for this season, as well.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:18 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
In-fact if im a Calgary fan this year, i root for them not to make the playoffs
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is HF in a nutshell.

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Prairie Habs

This is another reason I wouldn't be crushed if the Habs have another bad year. While I obviously want them in the playoffs, I think they have a few pieces that could have heightened returns at the deadline and have a really quick turn around. Kaberle has been playing all lockout and he won't be coming in out of shape like last year so if we could dump him for a pick or prospect and one of our older wingers (Cole, Gionta, Bourque) gets pushed out by a youngster (Leblanc, Gallagher, Kristo) then we could send one of them out (ideally Bourque). Also we could move out one of Weber or Diaz for a team looking for a cheap PP weapon and that could open up a spot next year for Tinordi, St. Denis, or maybe even Beaulieu.

It always sucks to lose but if you have to have a crappy season I prefer for it to be a half season and if there is a strong sellers market at the deadline we could have a really quick turn around.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:55 PM
AgentM

With a short season more teams will be in the playoff hunt like you said in the OP, but that means very few teams selling and therefore very few targets all at premium prices for the playoff teams to buy. That being the case we might not see many trades at all.

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

a couple injuries and the Blue Jackets end up with 3 lottery picks...which would be amazing...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
This is another reason I wouldn't be crushed if the Habs have another bad year. While I obviously want them in the playoffs, I think they have a few pieces that could have heightened returns at the deadline and have a really quick turn around. Kaberle has been playing all lockout and he won't be coming in out of shape like last year so if we could dump him for a pick or prospect and one of our older wingers (Cole, Gionta, Bourque) gets pushed out by a youngster (Leblanc, Gallagher, Kristo) then we could send one of them out (ideally Bourque). Also we could move out one of Weber or Diaz for a team looking for a cheap PP weapon and that could open up a spot next year for Tinordi, St. Denis, or maybe even Beaulieu.

It always sucks to lose but if you have to have a crappy season I prefer for it to be a half season and if there is a strong sellers market at the deadline we could have a really quick turn around.
The same Cole who is threatening retirement? You'd be hard pressed to get a bag of pucks for him.

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
The same Cole who is threatening retirement? You'd be hard pressed to get a bag of pucks for him.
He's just blowing smoke, no way he walks away from 8M, especially when he just had the best season of his career.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:29 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

A lot of teams could still be right in the thick of it and want to step up so yea, I could see a lot of teams trying to take advantage of the half-season and thinking their team can go deep.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Oilers88

I'm not sure that more teams being close to a playoff spot will increase movement. If you look over the last few years, more teams being in the hunt has been a recipe for fewer sellers, meaning fewer intriguing players available, meaning astronomical prices at the deadline, leading to less movement. Its one of the major reasons the last few deadlines have been total duds.

Having said that, I think the ability to hold back salary in trades might have a major impact on movement at the deadline. Maybe that will be enough to generate more trades.

Oilers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:15 AM
KIRK

Quote:
With the shortened season, and a Trade Deadline so close to the End of the Regular season I think this could be one of the most active Trade Deadlines Ever.

I Foresee many teams being within 5 points of a Playoff Spot and That will lead to a Sellers market.

This may be a great Year to be CBJ. As of Right Now I can't think of Too many teams that realistically have zero shot at the Playoffs right now.

Right now I can see them in Sell mode and Potentially create a frenzy for their players.

Some players that Might be prime for the picking are Umberger and Brassard. They may be able to get great packages for those players.

Another candidate could be Calgary with Jbo and Iginla. In-fact if im a Calgary fan this year, i root for them not to make the playoffs because the interest in those two players could net them a great package.
Actually, I'd expect more teams to be out of it later in the season, meaning more sellers (more players available). Plus, there are two other factors to consider:

1. With the cap dropping to 64.3M next year, some teams that don't necessarily have the cash flow to buyout players may be looking to make moves. Not sure, but it's possible.

2. With the new CBA allowing a team to trade a player while retaining 50% of the cap hit, it could make things very interesting. You mention Calgary. Say they go rebuild and move Iginla upon his request. Well, you mention J-Bo. J-Bo at 6.6M for next year? Pretty heavy ticket. IMO, you won't have a ton of interest. BUT, what if Calgary made J-Bo available at half the hit? The owner is a billionaire. Eat the couple million, and what kind of return does J-Bo at 3.3M next year get Jay Feaster. A similar example would be Malone if TB is out. 4.5M cap hit? No thanks. What if TB ate a third (not a ton in terms of salary)? He's a huge asset. There are probably a half dozen or so guys who in theory realistically could be moved this way. Some GM is going to exploit this.

KIRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:23 AM
deckercky

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
2. With the new CBA allowing a team to trade a player while retaining 50% of the cap hit, it could make things very interesting. You mention Calgary. Say they go rebuild and move Iginla upon his request. Well, you mention J-Bo. J-Bo at 6.6M for next year? Pretty heavy ticket. IMO, you won't have a ton of interest. BUT, what if Calgary made J-Bo available at half the hit? The owner is a billionaire. Eat the couple million, and what kind of return does J-Bo at 3.3M next year get Jay Feaster. A similar example would be Malone if TB is out. 4.5M cap hit? No thanks. What if TB ate a third (not a ton in terms of salary)? He's a huge asset. There are probably a half dozen or so guys who in theory realistically could be moved this way. Some GM is going to exploit this.
This is even big for trades with players UFA after the season. Think of how tight up to the cap some teams get at a trade deadline, and consider that a lot of potential deadline trades aren't made because a team can't fit that player. For a few hundred thousand, a seller can probably get an extra minor pick for taking on salary, and also opens up their players to more teams than could otherwise afford to fit the player.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
416Leafer

Toronto has six UFA forwards. Only three of them really have much value (Lupul, MacArthur, and Bozak).

Personally I think it's a transition year for Toronto. Lots of pending UFAs who can be moved for value, and then a number of prospects knocking at the door + a UFA signing or two in the summer which could make our forward group look quite different next September, especially if we draft high enough to get someone who is NHL ready.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:00 AM
sharks9

Kaberle, Bourque, Weber and Diaz are all possibilities to be moved at the deadline plus because we already have 3 2nd round picks, we could package one of those and a player to get another 1st rounder.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

I agree that it will be interesting to see as there should be a large majority of teams looking to make a playoff push. I don't see a lot on the Jackets that will generate a lot of interest though. At least not anything they would want to deal.

01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:

When is the deadline?

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote