HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Battling

Old
02-25-2013, 11:11 AM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
Canes Battling

Gotta admit as much as I want to dog the Canes lately. Looking at their line up look at how many players they have who started the season in the minors

Wallace
Welsh
Ellis
Sanguentti
Jordan
Bowman
Faulk
Nash
Nodl

And even a junior kid in Murphy

Gotta give them some props for battling and getting back to 1st in division!

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Can't really count Faulk. He played practically all of last year with the big club. There was zero question of him making the team.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Faulk, Nodl, Wallace, and Ellis aren't really minors players....

Lethargic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:50 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

It's pretty incredible when you think about how last night's lineup looked.

LaRose (undrafted) - E.Staal - Semin (Caps castoff)
Jokinen (Lightning castoff) - J.Staal - Dwyer
Bowman (1st full NHL season) - Nash (rookie) - Tlusty (Leafs castoff, regarded as a bust till recently)
Nodl (Flyers castoff) - Wallace (journeyman/AHL'er) - Westgarth (plug)

Faulk (sophomore) - Corvo (Sens/Caps/Bs castoff)
Harrison (Leafs castoff) - Murphy (emergency recall rookie)
Sanguinetti (rookie) - Jordan (rookie)

With the exception of the Staals and Dwyer, every skater on the roster is either in his first season or two of NHL play, or plucked off some other team's scrap heap.

You can practically see the duct tape holding it all together.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:55 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

These lines plus the fact that we are 0-4 against our own division?

Yeah, I have to rub my eyes when I look at the standings.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:59 AM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
These lines plus the fact that we are 0-4 against our own division?

Yeah, I have to rub my eyes when I look at the standings.
Are you knocking the Southbeast division? Clearly the Northleast is the division that really needs to step it up.

bilpeto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:02 PM
echlfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Faulk, Nodl, Wallace, and Ellis aren't really minors players....
I agree but the fact that is line up which is full of minor league players continues to stay on top is huge

Eklund reporting Robidas is available. I would love if they added him and Morrow. I think their grit and experience would help this group. Robidas has one of the most beat up faces in the league. Warrior

Old
02-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
I agree but the fact that is line up which is full of minor league players continues to stay on top is huge
Seriously? the team has lost 3 of the last 4 (and in two of the games, they seemed to not even show up) and only beat a team filled with waiver wire pickups.

If the team was playing good, inspired hockey during this stretch, then fine, give the props, but let's not act like the team is overcoming a huge amount of injuries and still playing well, because they haven't been.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:45 PM
echlfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Seriously? the team has lost 3 of the last 4 (and in two of the games, they seemed to not even show up) and only beat a team filled with waiver wire pickups.

If the team was playing good, inspired hockey during this stretch, then fine, give the props, but let's not act like the team is overcoming a huge amount of injuries and still playing well, because they haven't been.

Not saying the hockey that they are playing is good. It's actually pretty ugly. Even the nyi game looked all but lost until 1 min to play in the second. But they found a way. And that is what they need to do in order to get through the losses of skinner brent pit and gleason. It's never a bad thing to test your depth. But it sure is ugly at times

Old
02-25-2013, 12:52 PM
TheBigKahuna

If they can survive this injury debacle with .500 or better hockey, I think I'd call it a success. But they have to get back to a higher win percentage soon, and stay there. There is no room for losing streaks in this season.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:29 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
If they can survive this injury debacle with .500 or better hockey, I think I'd call it a success. But they have to get back to a higher win percentage soon, and stay there. There is no room for losing streaks in this season.
Which is where we would be without Ward's "day off"

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Not saying the hockey that they are playing is good. It's actually pretty ugly. Even the nyi game looked all but lost until 1 min to play in the second. But they found a way. And that is what they need to do in order to get through the losses of skinner brent pit and gleason. It's never a bad thing to test your depth. But it sure is ugly at times
I guess I don't see why we should be giving the team props for going 1-3 in these last 4 games and looking downright lousy for a big chunk of those games. I'll withhold judgement for a few more games.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:39 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
Are you knocking the Southbeast division? Clearly the Northleast is the division that really needs to step it up.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:52 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I guess I don't see why we should be giving the team props for going 1-3 in these last 4 games and looking downright lousy for a big chunk of those games. I'll withhold judgement for a few more games.
I agree with the OP, and I don't think the team has looked lousy in the past four games. I think our goaltending has been beyond pathetic. I think we may have allowed 10 scoring chances in the Winnipeg game, and lost 4-3. NHL teams normally average around 20 scoring chances a game.

If we were getting average goaltending -- making all the easy saves and a few of the 10-bell variety -- we'd be 3-1 in the past four. The skaters have played well enough to win in every game but the one in Montreal, and they should be commended.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I agree with the OP, and I don't think the team has looked lousy in the past four games. I think our goaltending has been beyond pathetic. I think we may have allowed 10 scoring chances in the Winnipeg game, and lost 4-3. NHL teams normally average around 20 scoring chances a game.

If we were getting average goaltending -- making all the easy saves and a few of the 10-bell variety -- we'd be 3-1 in the past four. The skaters have played well enough to win in every game but the one in Montreal, and they should be commended.
I'll give you 2-2, not 3-1. They were outplayed in MTL and against Tampa to the point where even the coach called them out. It took a 3rd period explosion to beat a bad Islanders team.

Again, I'll withhold giving any props until a few more games pass.