Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Seahawks @ Falcons post-mortem

Old
01-13-2013, 10:27 PM
davebenj

vCash: 500
Although I picked Atlanta to win, here is where I think Seattle made a fatal decision that isn't really being discussed.

After Longwell kicks the field goal to make it 28-27, I was listening on the radio and they said that if the Seahawks were smart, they should try to kick the ball as straight down the middle or sort of short punt it if you will so that it eats up clock time and Atlanta would have to run to get the ball.

Instead, they kick it right to Rogers who gains a ton of yardage on the return. Just my opinion but I agreed with the radio announcers.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Clowe Me

He only got to the 28 and the clock went from 31 seconds down to 25. Seattle lost this game because they gave up 41 yards in 2 plays and allowed the kicker to get 2 chances at it.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:50 PM
davebenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
He only got to the 28 and the clock went from 31 seconds down to 25. Seattle lost this game because they gave up 41 yards in 2 plays and allowed the kicker to get 2 chances at it.
Well, that too of course lol. But I still thought it was pretty foolish they didn't short punt it.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Well, that too of course lol. But I still thought it was terrible they didn't short punt it.
What do you mean by short punt? Pop it into the air? Odds are the guy under it would have caught it around the 25 and even less time would have rolled off the clock. Seattle played way too soft in coverage on those 2 throws and Ryan executed the plays the way he should have.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:54 PM
puckyeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Nice of the refs to give Atlanta's kicker a practice kick before the real one. What a pile of **** the NFL is.
It was a bad job by Carroll giving the guy a practice kick, especially a kicker who's been in the league forever. Also, Pete screwed up by not attempting the 65 yarder, i thought that was a no brainer to attempt, you give it a shot, even if its 1% its still a better chance than a hail mary.

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:59 PM
puckyeah

Quote:
The hometown clock operator didnt start the clock for 3 seconds.

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:15 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
SF has won the division 2 years in a row and has advanced to the NFC Championship for the 2nd straight year. Seattle will be watching them play.

SF is the favorite until they're beaten out.
We'll see. Seattle is only getting better. Their best players (Wilson, Lynch, Rice, Sherman, Thomas, Okung, Unger, Browner, Wagner) are all in their mid 20's and primed.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Richard Sherman finally shut up? What happened?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:32 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Looks like the beast..

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Was put down.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:26 AM
darko

Quote:
SF has won the division 2 years in a row and has advanced to the NFC Championship for the 2nd straight year. Seattle will be watching them play.

This.

And I actually like Seahawks more than Niners.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:34 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Although I picked Atlanta to win, here is where I think Seattle made a fatal decision that isn't really being discussed.

After Longwell kicks the field goal to make it 28-27, I was listening on the radio and they said that if the Seahawks were smart, they should try to kick the ball as straight down the middle or sort of short punt it if you will so that it eats up clock time and Atlanta would have to run to get the ball.

Instead, they kick it right to Rogers who gains a ton of yardage on the return. Just my opinion but I agreed with the radio announcers.
you are talking about the squib kick. Atlanta tried a squib kick, look how that turned out.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:21 AM
Mungar

Quote:

The clock doesn't start until a player touches the ball. If they kick it short, then it's likely that less time would have run off the clock.

Mungar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:58 AM
bbud

Quote:

Both Seattle and the Rams will be making moves both are younger and will only get better i think Seattle really gives them a run for division title next year .

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
We'll see. Seattle is only getting better. Their best players (Wilson, Lynch, Rice, Sherman, Thomas, Okung, Unger, Browner, Wagner) are all in their mid 20's and primed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbud View Post
Both Seattle and the Rams will be making moves both are younger and will only get better i think Seattle really gives them a run for division title next year .
I know. But when a team is defending 2-time division champs and have at the very least gotten to back to back NFC Championship games, they're the team to beat.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:57 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Their best players (Wilson, Lynch, Rice, Sherman, Thomas, Okung, Unger, Browner, Wagner) are all in their mid 20's and primed.
Kaepernick-25
Crabtree-25
Davis-28
Iupati-25
Staley-28
Bowman-24
Brooks-28
Aldon Smith-23
Willis-27
Whitner-27
Goldston-28

49ers aren't exactly pushing up daisies.

01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
I know. But when a team is defending 2-time division champs and have at the very least gotten to back to back NFC Championship games, they're the team to beat.
Whole-heartedly agree, but things change. If I had to place a bet it would be on Seattle winning the division.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

The NFC west has a chance to be the best division in football next year...ALL the teams are young and talented.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
The NFC west has a chance to be the best division in football next year...ALL the teams are young and talented.
Well I wouldn't go that far for the Cards, but the 49ers,Seahawks, and Rams look to be very tough teams next year.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:01 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:28 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

You know, I've seen two repeats of this game now and the end of the game was actually fairly poorly managed by the Falcons wasn't it?

I mean to start with, they couldn't stop the Seahawks, so in reality they probably should have let Seattle score once the penalty put the ball at the 1 and a half yard line. Imagine Lynch doesn't get in and that's ruled a fumble recovered by Seattle, Seattle would have 2nd and goal from within the 1 yard line and could burn more time before scoring through a QB sneak or otherwise - to the point of the game being over.

The second thing is that Atlanta seemed unprepared on what to do and unsure of how much time was left once Gonzalez caught the pass that took them in FG range. Ryan wanted to spike the football. Smith rushed to find a ref to call a timeout immediately. In reality, of course, the Falcons would have been wise to let at least another 5 seconds pass and then calmly call a timeout by sticking with an official at the sideline (rather than having to make a panicked run toward one). The way they did it, they gave Seattle time to run two plays.

And of course the squib kick was basically an onside kick which gave Seattle much better field position than they should have had.

Three things that didn't end up making any difference but could have had a huge effect.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Whole-heartedly agree, but things change. If I had to place a bet it would be on Seattle winning the division.
So, in your opinion, SF is the team to beat but you think Seattle will win the division?

Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
That was a great hit. Thomas is no slouch.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You know, I've seen two repeats of this game now and the end of the game was actually fairly poorly managed by the Falcons wasn't it?

I mean to start with, they couldn't stop the Seahawks, so in reality they probably should have let Seattle score once the penalty put the ball at the 1 and a half yard line. Imagine Lynch doesn't get in and that's ruled a fumble recovered by Seattle, Seattle would have 2nd and goal from within the 1 yard line and could burn more time before scoring through a QB sneak or otherwise - to the point of the game being over.

The second thing is that Atlanta seemed unprepared on what to do and unsure of how much time was left once Gonzalez caught the pass that took them in FG range. Ryan wanted to spike the football. Smith rushed to find a ref to call a timeout immediately. In reality, of course, the Falcons would have been wise to let at least another 5 seconds pass and then calmly call a timeout by sticking with an official at the sideline (rather than having to make a panicked run toward one). The way they did it, they gave Seattle time to run two plays.

And of course the squib kick was basically an onside kick which gave Seattle much better field position than they should have had.

Three things that didn't end up making any difference but could have had a huge effect.
I completely agree. It seemed as though the Falcons and their coaching staff became distracted once the 4th quarter started.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
So, in your opinion, SF is the team to beat but you think Seattle will win the division?

Fair enough.
Thats a good way to put it.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
RT @johnpboyle: QB Russell Wilson wasn't in the locker room for cleanout b/c he was watching film. Seriously. #Seahawks
His name is Russell...last name Wilson

This guy is a stud

EpochLink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
His name is Russell...last name Wilson

This guy is a stud
Leader of the most unlikeable team in the league.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote