Playoff Quest

Old
04-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Jets
Resident Sieve

vCash: 500
Playoff Quest

We're out.

With only a few games left, I figured I'd create a thread to breakdown/discuss/track our playoff possibilities. In our sights right now we can either take Washington, NYI, Ottawa or NYR. Here's each teams games remaining:

WINNIPEG JETS (9th) [ 51 PTS ]:
Apr.22 @ Buffalo W 2-1
Apr.23 @ Washington L 5-3
Apr.25 vs Montreal

Washington Capitals (3rd) [ 54 PTS ]:
ROW Tie Breaker: Washington
Head to Head Tie Breaker: Undetermined (one more game)

Apr.23 vs Winnipeg W 5-3
Apr.25 vs Ottawa
Apr.27 vs Boston

New York Tavares (6th) [ 54 PTS ]:
ROW Tie Breaker: Winnipeg
Head to Head Tie Breaker: NYI

Apr.23 @Carolina OTL 4-3
Apr.25 @Philadelphia
Apr.26 @Buffalo

New York Rangers (7th) [ 52 PTS ]:
Head to Head Tie Breaker: Tied. (Both teams have 2pts)

Apr.21 vs New Jersey W 4-1
Apr.23 @ Florida L 3-2
Apr.25 @ Carolina
Apr.27 vs New Jersey

Ottawa Senators (8th) [ 52 PTS ]:
Head to Head Tie Breaker: Tied. (Both teams have 2pts)

Apr.22 vs Pittsburgh L 3-1
Apr.25 @ Washington
Apr.27 vs Philadelphia
Apr.28 @ Boston

Right now it looks like we might have the best chance at catching Ottawa as they have a very tough schedule and might only pick up a point or two over their last 4 games. That would require the Jets to pick up 4 or 5. Either that or Washington loses out and the Jets grab 4 points to take third.

Important Games by date

April 21st - Sunday
New York Rangers 4 vs New Jersey 1

April 22nd - Monday
Buffalo 1 vs Winnipeg 2
Ottawa 1 vs Pittsburgh 3

April 23rd - Tuesday
Washington 5 vs Winnipeg 3
Carolina 4 vs New York Islanders 3 OT
Florida 3 vs New York Rangers 2

April 24th - Wednesday
None.

April 25th - Thursday
Winnipeg vs Montreal 7PM CST
Washington vs Ottawa 6PM CST
Philadelphia vs New York Islanders 6PM CST
Carolina vs New York Rangers 6PM CST

April 26th - Friday
Buffalo vs New York Islanders 6PM CST

April 27th - Saturday
New York Rangers vs New Jersey 2PM CST
Ottawa vs Philadelphia 6PM CST
Washington vs Boston 6PM CST

April 28th - Sunday
Boston vs Ottawa 6PM CST

Last edited by Jets: 04-25-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Updated with clinched
Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:00 AM
gholas
UnRegistered UnUser

vCash: 147
Best bet, NJ to beat Rangers 2 times, if that doesn't happen, there's no chance. Caps aren't going to lose, the teams they're playing are in 'We just don't wanna lose any players to injury mode. I kinda want a good draft pick anyway.....meh.

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:18 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholas View Post
Best bet, NJ to beat Rangers 2 times, if that doesn't happen, there's no chance. Caps aren't going to lose, the teams they're playing are in 'We just don't wanna lose any players to injury mode. I kinda want a good draft pick anyway.....meh.
Ottawa's schedule is pretty tough with Pittsburgh, Boston and Washington. Wouldn't count on getting help from Philly but you never know I guess.

As for getting a good draft pick, (top 10) the JETS played themselves out of that on this home stand. They could still land someone decent though even if they sneak into the playoffs.

For a spring whiteout to actually happen in Winnipeg this year, the JETS MUST finally get some outside help from other teams. None of these 3 pt games. Just clean wins by teams.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Nothing Is New

Yeah, Washington is going to be tough. If Washington beats us, they're in. If they go 1-2 and we go 2-1 -including beating them, they're in. But a factor may well be that Boston and Montreal will be playing (apparently) for home ice - so they may play hard these last few games. Winnipeg, Ottawa and Washington have games with one of those two. Re Ottawa, they play Washington after our game with Washington. That game could vary wildly.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:38 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 511
It's going to be tough. Everyone in front of us is playing good hockey and we seem to be getting into some injury trouble. Most likely outcome is 1-2 this week and 9th place. We are a classic bubble team.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:32 AM
bodybreak
We're Back!

vCash: 720
Don't forget that before the season series tie breaker, you have to look at the # of regulation and OT wins (ROW). Here are those numbers as of the time of this post:

Washington - 22
Winnipeg - 21
NYI - 20
Ottawa - 19
NYR - 19

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Resurrection

I want it so bad I can taste it. If the Jets fall short I'll be devastated but I am excited for this team next year and Trouba and Scheifelle becoming regulars. I dont even know what else to say

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:37 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Yeah, Washington is going to be tough. If Washington beats us, they're in. If they go 1-2 and we go 2-1 -including beating them, they're in. But a factor may well be that Boston and Montreal will be playing (apparently) for home ice - so they may play hard these last few games. Winnipeg, Ottawa and Washington have games with one of those two. Re Ottawa, they play Washington after our game with Washington. That game could vary wildly.
Problem is Boston and Montreal are both playing poorly right now. Love our team this season but it's tough to catch teams when they literally don't lose. Freakish year I can't recall when 4 teams all played so well over an extended stretch at the end of a season. What we do have going for us is we are playing well and stranger things have happened.....we need a team to have an epic collapse or Jersey trolling the Rags would be nice.

Either way this has been a very exciting run!

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
Don't forget that before the season series tie breaker, you have to look at the # of regulation and OT wins (ROW). Here are those numbers as of the time of this post:

Washington - 22
Winnipeg - 21
NYI - 20
Ottawa - 19
NYR - 19
I have all the tiebreaker rules on lockdown. But right now ROW really doesn't mean anything because there are still games left to play.
The only other tiebreaker right now that has been decided is the head to head. Here's the rule:
Quote:
"The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing."

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Pi

I think the Jets will make the playoffs.

NJ might look like an easy opponent but those teams have a rivalry AND they got Kovalchuk back. I'm sure the Devils will want to spoil the Rangers party, provided that the Refs are unbiased.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Much as I hope we can win out and cant see us getting in unless we do, I think we'll probably only get 4 points..Rangers realistically look to be the only team we can catch and I just can't see them getting less than 4 points in their 4 games..

but, prove me wrong boys, work your ***** off every shift, run the table and let the chips fall where they may...doubtful everybody else is gonna fall on their faces at this point but surely we'll get some help, somewhere

gonna be a crazy week - can't imagine how intense it would be if we won all 3 and our fate depended on the result of some game Saturday night....

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
I have all the tiebreaker rules on lockdown. But right now ROW really doesn't mean anything because there are still games left to play.
The only other tiebreaker right now that has been decided is the head to head. Here's the rule:
You have "pending" on Washington.
But if we end up tied with Washington, we'll have beaten them Tuesday, in all likelihood.

Fact is, we have the "pending" tiebreaker with all teams, as long as we don't win any shootouts.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
Awesome thread, Jets.

One thing I know for sure, I'm not ready to stop watching our Jets in just 4 more days.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:11 AM
PerryPooley

I believe Ottawa is our pathway. They really don't look to be playing great hockey and with their sched I could reasonably see them going 1-3 to end the year (beating Philly at Scotia Bank). That would mean we could lose the Caps game, but beat Buffalo and the Habs at MTS to get in.

PerryPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:20 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

We need some help now from the opponents of our opponents. This is going to come down to the wire.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:21 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
These two roadies will be crucial cannot overlook buffalo in preparation for Washington

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:46 AM
smitty10

I really hope Winnipeg makes the playoffs. Now that Toronto is in, I can safely say I'm rooting for the Jets to get in so that we can have all 4 Canadian teams from the East in the playoffs. You guys have played a more impressive season than the Rangers and, as a Canadian, I'd like nothing more than to see the Jets take them out of the post season. Like the vast majority of Leafs fans, I was on the 'bring the NHL back to Winnipeg' bandwagon and would be thrilled to see some success for you guys before you move West!

Good luck, Jets fans!!

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:10 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I really hope Winnipeg makes the playoffs. Now that Toronto is in, I can safely say I'm rooting for the Jets to get in so that we can have all 4 Canadian teams from the East in the playoffs. You guys have played a more impressive season than the Rangers and, as a Canadian, I'd like nothing more than to see the Jets take them out of the post season. Like the vast majority of Leafs fans, I was on the 'bring the NHL back to Winnipeg' bandwagon and would be thrilled to see some success for you guys before you move West!

Good luck, Jets fans!!
Yeah well if you guys would have helped us when you played the Caps we would be better off..

Thanks but no thanks Leafs!!!

Seriously though, I appreciate the gesture.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:11 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

If they don't get in they only have themselves to blame... lots of points left on the table this season, just like last year.

I think the Rangers are the only realistic chance right now (note, I know the numbers still say the other teams are in play... just can't see any of them happening).

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:28 PM
PerryPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
If they don't get in they only have themselves to blame... lots of points left on the table this season, just like last year.

I think the Rangers are the only realistic chance right now (note, I know the numbers still say the other teams are in play... just can't see any of them happening).
I understand the pessimism / realism, but reconsider Ottawa: how do you really like their chances going up against the Penguins, Capitals and Bruins in the next week? I know if they even win 1 of those and then beat the Flyers at home we have to win out, but I really think the Sens are going to be in really tough to win any of these games.
Again, if the Sens go 1 -3 we can still lose the Caps game and sneak in.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:32 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Yeah, ROW is slightly unpredictable as to how it will finish up, but if we are to catch someone we're trailing, we're going to need to win more games than them... We would have to get a lot of shootout wins this week for us to catch up to someone and not be ahead of them in ROW (unless it's Washington).

Thanks for posting this thread with the remaining sked of all the teams, as well as the daily important games! Love it! I do think we'll catch Washington or Ottawa, although it's all on Jets to win their 3 games this week.

We never seem to be able to find a way to beat Montreal. They have the luxury of knowing they're in the playoffs, but Boston poses a real threat to take over 2nd from them. While it will be our last game of the regular season, Montreal will still have one to go, and Boston will have 2. The Habs may not be content to rest everyone having clinched, but be concerned about finishing with the highest seed possible.

Then there's Washington, who is on fire and destroyed us twice as part of this hot streak. It's not going to be an easy week by any means. I won't rule the Jets out either. Would be nice to be able to kick back and say we're in but this should make for some high quality hockey to watch!

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

165 vcash on New Jersey over the Rangers. Because I believe the Hockey Gods will be with us!

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:48 PM
PerryPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
165 vcash on New Jersey over the Rangers. Because I believe the Hockey Gods will be with us!
After these last couple of weeks, the Hockey Gods owe us.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Prot

Thanks Jets for making this post. I really appreciate it as it's been hard to follow what the heck the bottom line is. It's quite an insane run to the finish line here.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:17 PM
wpgJetsfan

The Washington game and only Washington game on Tuesday will determine if we make the playoffs or not. That's how I see it. But we need a regulation win or our season is over.

I personally think we will come up short by a point or 2 and finish in 9th.

wpgJetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote