HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Monarchs sign Mathias Niederberger to one-year deal

Old
07-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Josh Deitell

vCash: 500
Monarchs sign Mathias Niederberger to one-year deal

Not sure if this deserves its own thread, but summer's slow and all, and he's a nice prospect to add for free.

Quote:
MANCHESTER, NH – The Manchester Monarchs, the primary affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings, signed goaltender Mathias Niederberger to a one-year American Hockey League contract, Monarchs Director of Hockey Operations Hubie McDonough announced today.

Niederberger, 20, appeared in 56 games with the Ontario Hockey League’s Barrie Colts during the 2012-13 season and collected a record of 35-12-2-1 with a goals-against-average of 2.34 and a .933 save percentage.
http://www.manchestermonarchs.com/news.php?nid=4780

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Good deal. Great signing. I'm still hoping we retain Jones though.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:48 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Sort of said this in the rookie camp thread. If any of the UFA invites were going to get a deal, it's this guy.

He's got the talent to be an NHL backup, and considering Quick will be here for the next three President's, that's all we need anyways.

Backup to Jones this year, sharing the AHL duties with Berube next year I assume. Figured we'd sign him to an NHL deal though but whatever.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Is this Blake's doing?

Boba Fettuccine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

For free? The Cup is ours.

(Calder Cup)

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:52 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I didn't see anything special in development camp.

But considering he was rumored to have signed weeks ago, this was expected.

Bartosak is going back to Red Deer anyway, and they needed a backup.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Is this Blake's doing?
If so he's off to a great start, but I doubt it.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I didn't see anything special in development camp.

But considering he was rumored to have signed weeks ago, this was expected.

Bartosak is going back to Red Deer anyway, and they needed a backup.
I have a hard time believing that Red Deer will use an import and overager spot on a goalie. Just don't see it.

I think Bartosak will be in Ontario, Berube in Manchester, and Niederberger will be loaned a different ECHL team, TBH. Just because he is signed by Manchester does mean he will play there.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:59 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I have a hard time believing that Red Deer will use an import and overager spot on a goalie. Just don't see it.

I think Bartosak will be in Ontario, Berube in Manchester, and Niederberger will be loaned a different ECHL team, TBH. Just because he is signed by Manchester does mean he will play there.
Is Red Deer supposed to contend this year? If they are, I could maybe see it as he'd be a huge help. But I agree, using up those two slots on one player just won't really happen. I like this problem we have. Hopefully having 3 goalies nipping on his heels will help Jones get better. He needs to be more consistent shot to shot and knowing there are 3 hungry goalies behind him should motivate him to up his game.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:30 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:

Lombardi told me himself he would send him back to junior.

Plus Niederberger was signed by Manchester. Why would Manchester loan him out after signing him?

Old
07-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Lombardi told me himself he would send him back to junior.

Plus Niederberger was signed by Manchester. Why would Manchester loan him out after signing him?
Stupid, IMO.

Manchester does that all the time for depth. I mean alot. Like the Kings do. It protects the player in AHL circles and allows them to have a quick call up goalie (something they will clearly need if Lombardi is not being smart and leaving Bartosak in junior).

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Stupid, IMO.

Manchester does that all the time for depth. I mean alot. Like the Kings do. It protects the player in AHL circles and allows them to have a quick call up goalie (something they will clearly need if Lombardi is not being smart and leaving Bartosak in junior).
Berube?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:34 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Stupid, IMO.

I try to follow Manchester pretty closely and I can't even remember the last time they loaned a player to another team, AHL or ECHL... Lots of guys come through for a couple of weeks signed to PTOs and then are released and never heard from. The last guy I honestly remember being on Loan from Manchester was Danny Taylor being loaned to Bakersfield and that would have been 5, 6 seasons ago? Unless you mean sending him to Ontario, but that isn't a loan and is simply a demotion to a lower level. Manchester does to THAT all the time.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Bandit
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Is this Blake's doing?
I dunno, does this kid play for the JR Kings?

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:01 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Is this Blake's doing?
Doubtful, this was first reported back at the end of June as a rumor. If Blake had anything to do with it, then he's been working with the Kings for longer than any of us knew.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Stupid, IMO.

How is it a bad move for the Kings to send Barosak back to junior? Bad move for Red Deer maybe for the reasons you stated, but I don't think it'd be bad for LA.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
How is it a bad move for the Kings to send Barosak back to junior? Bad move for Red Deer maybe for the reasons you stated, but I don't think it'd be bad for LA.
My problem with it is it's leaves Berube in Ontario. He does not deserve to be in Ontario.

Mayor checked with his sources and it's an AHL Contract, not an AHL/ECHL Contract.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:55 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
My problem with it is it's leaves Berube in Ontario. He does not deserve to be in Ontario.

Mayor checked with his sources and it's an AHL Contract, not an AHL/ECHL Contract.
My understanding of that would be that he can still be sent down, he just makes his ahl salary is all. Works the same way that a one way contract works in the nhl. So it doesnt mean berube is in manchester, it simply means that he has competition for the backup role in manchester.

Old
07-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:

Berube will get #1 minutes in Ontario. He wouldn't get that in Manchester playing behind Jones.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Berube will get #1 minutes in Ontario. He wouldn't get that in Manchester playing behind Jones.
My problem is exactly that, he doesn't deserve another year in Ontario. He needs to face better competition. Jones **** the bed this year, give JF a shot.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:16 AM
KingLB

Quote:
My problem is exactly that, he doesn't deserve another year in Ontario. He needs to face better competition. Jones **** the bed this year, give JF a shot.
He did?

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:20 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I found it bizarre how Berube was practically never used in Manchester when they brought him up after Mannino suffered from an injury. They played Martin Jones a ton and I think he just ran out of gas eventually. I don't know if it is Morris having no confidence in Berube or if they just trust Jones that much that they feel that their best opportunity to win is with him in net.

Either way, judging by how infrequently Berube was used in Manchester, I am lead to believe that either the Kings or Mark Morris don't have much confidence in him and will probably relinquish his rights when his entry level contract expires next summer.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I found it bizarre how Berube was practically never used in Manchester when they brought him up after Mannino suffered from an injury. They played Martin Jones a ton and I think he just ran out of gas eventually. I don't know if it is Morris having no confidence in Berube or if they just trust Jones that much that they feel that their best opportunity to win is with him in net.

Either way, judging by how infrequently Berube was used in Manchester, I am lead to believe that either the Kings or Mark Morris don't have much confidence in him and will probably relinquish his rights when his entry level contract expires next summer.
Kings wanted to test Jones to see what he was made of. They weren't really impressed with his play.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:28 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

You have to remember that Manchester was battling for a playoff spot all year and didn't secure one until essentially the last game or two of the season. If the Kings were in that scenario, Quick would play every game also. It could be a lack of confidence but I think it's likely more trying to make the playoffs.

I hope they don't let Berube go. He's still got a lot of potential.

Quote:
Jones **** the bed? Yes, he was bad sometimes and he certainly needs to be more consistent shot to shot but he carried that team to the playoffs and was great in them. Him and Deslauriers were the two best players come the end of the year.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:55 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Kings wanted to test Jones to see what he was made of. They weren't really impressed with his play.
What makes you think this?

And when management says they want Jones to improve his consistency, why would they bring in a player and give him less time?