HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Considering NHL Gamecenter live - any thoughts?

Old
01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
paulster2626

vCash: 500
The PS3 was the main thing for me - if that's not working then I'm cancelling this and going back to cable TV for a few months. So stupid...

The loser at the Cogeco store said "you'll be back" when I cancelled my TV services. So mad that he turned out to be right.

Jeezus it's 2013 FFS, we can't even get off of stupid cable???

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Pilky01

I am very interested in game centre, but principally only if I can stream it on my big screen using the PS3 app. Until then, other means will suffice.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:27 PM
dubplatepressure

Wanted to update those of you who were following this thread... After receiving no response from their email support channel I called again (trying to resolve the issue of the registration message saying it already had my email address as an active account, for which it clearly did not).

Funny thing, so in talking to a 2nd tech support rep tonight, he advised that if I was trying to register with an all-numerical user name I needed to have at least 1 letter in the user name. Although the error message says the *email address* is already in use, the error was originating from this.

Anyway, I was able to register after adding a letter into my proposed user name. Seems so stupid in hindsight. I'm now watching, live, Calgary / San Jose. I haven't applied the unblockus DNS yet, but the quality is A+. The 3000kbps connection is quite, quite good and the framerate is very good.

Also, GCL support said the PS3 app will be up on or before the 1st, Feb.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Channel 455 on Rogers for Flames game now

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Donmega

Just watched some of the calgary game on the xbox app and it worked fine. What I am confused with is that there was no pregame or the content between periods? I thought this was supposed to be included in game center.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:10 PM
CBinTokyo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
Just watched some of the calgary game on the xbox app and it worked fine. What I am confused with is that there was no pregame or the content between periods? I thought this was supposed to be included in game center.
On some feeds you get them, and on some you don't. I have no idea why that is.

Last edited by CBinTokyo: 01-20-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: typo
CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Donmega

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinTokyo View Post
Hopefully the leafs have them. Wonder what it depends on. Watching the Edmonton / Vancouver feeds now and they also don't have it.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:14 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinTokyo View Post
I guess for some they receive the broadcast feed and other they get raw. Which they get, and when, I have no idea.

Gotta say I was pretty impressed with the service, although the PIP / dual screen thing I couldn't get to work. That could just be a product of Firefox flash support though.. I'm not that web techy.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Ruski

I watched the Leafs vs Habs on Gamecenter Live on Saturday night.

There was no commercials or content between periods. I have a feeling that has to do with broadcast rights for advertisers and the cable channels showing the games.

I live here in Toronto, so have to use UnoDns or unblock-us to get around the regional blackouts. Works like a charm though!

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
mt99808

To people saying the quality is great are you actually streaming it to your TV or watching on a laptop or ipad? I find that the quality is fine on my ipad and laptop but when I play it on my TV with my Roku it is terrible. Well not terrible but somewhere between SD and what Bell calls HD which really isn't HD. It is fine during whistles and whatnot when the play isn't moving fast but the game action is brutal.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt99808 View Post
To people saying the quality is great are you actually streaming it to your TV or watching on a laptop or ipad? I find that the quality is fine on my ipad and laptop but when I play it on my TV with my Roku it is terrible. Well not terrible but somewhere between SD and what Bell calls HD which really isn't HD. It is fine during whistles and whatnot when the play isn't moving fast but the game action is brutal.
Looks fine on my TV. There are times the quality drops drastically for a minute, but it does come back.

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Ruski

Quote:
It really depends on your internet connection and the box you are streaming it from.

I am streaming to my TV using the XBMC plug-in for Gamecenter on my HTPC and it works great.

The quality will also depend on the setting you have set in the application you are using. You can set the bitrate to "auto", which will negotiate a bitrate based on what it thinks your internet connection and handle OR you can choose between several setting up to "3000 kbps".

3000kbps is approximately 720p, so if your connection is fast enough and the hardware you are using to stream it has no problem processing that video, then you should be able to watch buffer-free and stutter-free 720p video.

Leafs vs. Habs on saturday night didn't stutter or buffer at all for me. Oilers vs. Canucks last night had 4-5 buffering pauses but not a big deal.

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:00 PM
paulster2626

Quote:
Apple TV to a sony 46" LCD gave me better quality than COgeco cable last night.

It actually convinced me to just buy another ATV for the basement and screw the PS3 method.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:01 PM
William Hylander
There can be only 1

vCash: 431
So I have everything set up and i go to pay through paypal and this **** happens

Quote:
'ERROR - Code=500'
Go **** yourself NHL.com

William Hylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
The PS3 was the main thing for me - if that's not working then I'm cancelling this and going back to cable TV for a few months. So stupid...

The loser at the Cogeco store said "you'll be back" when I cancelled my TV services. So mad that he turned out to be right.

Jeezus it's 2013 FFS, we can't even get off of stupid cable???
NHL Center Ice is free for the rest of the month so that should be able to bridge you over until the PS3 app gets patched up.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:26 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Can I get around local blackouts if I tether the internet for my Iphone?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
They track IP's.

What you need to do is jailbreak and then spoof your location since NHL blacks out based on GPS location.

Apparently I'm in Thailand watching the Bruins game now!

Old
01-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
On mobile device, they track by your geo location, not IP. If there is a way in iPhone to spoof location, that should work.

Source: I have android phone. NHL GCL works for all games when I install a location spoofer app indicating I am in asia. (Not sure if they need iPhone to be jailbroken or something, but no such thing needed in android).

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:47 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Thanks for the response guys, I'll look into it

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
On mobile device, they track by your geo location, not IP. If there is a way in iPhone to spoof location, that should work.

Source: I have android phone. NHL GCL works for all games when I install a location spoofer app indicating I am in asia. (Not sure if they need iPhone to be jailbroken or something, but no such thing needed in android).
There is a way with nearly all Apple devices...just requires the device to be jailbroken..which with some devices with certain operating systems isn't possible.

In Cydia the tweak is called Location Spoofer.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
cujoflutie

Send a message via ICQ to cujoflutie Send a message via Yahoo to cujoflutie
I'm thinking the lack of ads/intermission is a rights issue. The NFL does the same thing with their streams, it either says 'we'll be right back' or they put their own ads on it. Likely either not having the authority to broadcast other ads or not wanting to give away free advertisements.

Just checked and it's still 'updating' on the PS3. I'm pretty mad actually, shouldn't playstation and the NHL have been ready to go back in October since the work stoppage was up in the air?

cujoflutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:02 PM
mt99808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
It really depends on your internet connection and the box you are streaming it from.

I am streaming to my TV using the XBMC plug-in for Gamecenter on my HTPC and it works great.

The quality will also depend on the setting you have set in the application you are using. You can set the bitrate to "auto", which will negotiate a bitrate based on what it thinks your internet connection and handle OR you can choose between several setting up to "3000 kbps".

3000kbps is approximately 720p, so if your connection is fast enough and the hardware you are using to stream it has no problem processing that video, then you should be able to watch buffer-free and stutter-free 720p video.

Leafs vs. Habs on saturday night didn't stutter or buffer at all for me. Oilers vs. Canucks last night had 4-5 buffering pauses but not a big deal.
My internet connection is fine ... i regularly get 12-15 mbps downstream. I'm on a hard wired connection so no issues there. There is no stuttering or buffering, the picture just isn't crisp and when there's motion you get some blurring.

I had mlb.tv the past 2 years and I would agree it was better than my HD on Bell. The difference with baseball is there is no quick motions.

I love having the internet service because it allows me to watch the leafs game on TV and then flip through all the other games on my ipad but on nights when the Leafs aren't playing and i want to watch on my TV I don't think the quality is acceptable.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Donmega

I added the unblock us trial today but it seems I cannot access the win vs bos and nyi vs tb on xbox 360? is this because the dns location is where blackouts occur for those games?

Old
01-21-2013, 03:26 PM
wilson1379

I bought it last night and I'm already pleased with it.

Blackouts? Isn't the point of this to not experience black outs?

I was able to stream it on my laptop fine for every game last night, had Calgary vs. San Jose on my Xbox 360 working fine as well.

wilson1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
I added the unblock us trial today but it seems I cannot access the win vs bos and nyi vs tb on xbox 360? is this because the dns location is where blackouts occur for those games?
Probably. Try going to this page and select a different location: http://www.unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/

Edit: Or, they have this posted: http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...hout-blackouts

Quote:
If you see blackouts on any of the devices that we support, please restart your devices and router then go to our website and click "Check Service" and do the following dependant on device.

- Via Browser - please restart your browser & clear your cache

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote