HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Considering NHL Gamecenter live - any thoughts?

Old
01-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

vCash: 500
I want to get GC, but all I ever seem to hear about is people having problems (plus the PS3 app not working yet).

It sounds like a big headache and until they can get it sorted out, I think I will just stick with 'other' means of watching the games.

Something content providers need to get through their thick skulls is that people are very willing to pay good money for legal streams. But you have to make sure they work. The biggest driver of priacy and illegal streams are content providers who are either unwilling or incapable of providing reliable, legal means of consumption.

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:40 AM
MaximAmirian

I still have no idea. I missed the Home Opener last night becasue of this crap.

I HAVE MY CREDIT CARD IN MY HAND. WHO DO I GIVE IT TO?

Do I sign up for hockeystreams to Game Center Live?

Which has better quality? According to hockeystreams, Gamecenter Live only has like 400k bitrate. Is this true? Is Gamecenter Live in HD?

I don't care about the money and I'm using unblock-us.

Do I get Gamecenter Live or Hockeystreams? Somebody just tell me right now! Please

Edit: rogersondemand.com had a blackout on the leafs game last night, too. Idiots.

MaximAmirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Donmega

Watched the leafs game last night with unblock us, only had buffering 3 times during the night.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAmirian View Post

Which has better quality? According to hockeystreams, Gamecenter Live only has like 400k bitrate. Is this true? Is Gamecenter Live in HD?

Do I get Gamecenter Live or Hockeystreams? Somebody just tell me right now! Please

Edit: rogersondemand.com had a blackout on the leafs game last night, too. Idiots.
Hockeystreams is full of **** then. Gamecenter is in HD and you won't have any blackout problems using Unlock-Us. IIRC you can change the bitrate to 400, 800, 1600 or 3000, depending on whatever your connection can handle.

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
xyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
Watched the leafs game last night with unblock us, only had buffering 3 times during the night.
I watched using a VPN set to Colorado.. didnt have to buffer once.

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
paulster2626
Don't Mess with me

vCash: 400
Last night with Apple TV was perfect. HD quality, better than cable, no hiccups. Unblock-us USA setting worked fine.

My NHL needs are met for the season. YIPPEE!

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Quote:

Get GCL. Stream rate is 3000 kbps if your connection supports it. You can easily get around black out when watching on a computer (with no extra money), and a small fee (to get around blackout) if you want to watch on console / apple TV.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:06 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Im hearing mixed messages about the archived games...

Someone posted on the main board yesterday that most games this season have been archived quite fast - within a few hours of them finishing. now people are saying they can only see games from last june?

games are on when im at work here. the archived feature is essentially the main reason id be getting this so i want to make sure.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:07 AM
xyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Last night with Apple TV was perfect. HD quality, better than cable, no hiccups. Unblock-us USA setting worked fine.

My NHL needs are met for the season. YIPPEE!
does anyone know if NHL gamecentre gives you different quality feeds based on your speed or anything? I'm also using apple TV.. and its good.. but definitely not as good as HD cable.

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
paulster2626
Don't Mess with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post
does anyone know if NHL gamecentre gives you different quality feeds based on your speed or anything? I'm also using apple TV.. and its good.. but definitely not as good as HD cable.
I had Cogeco cable - which IMO is the worst cable HD quality in the world. At least worst I've ever seen. It's little squares and artifacting and crap all over the place. It looked okay until I went to a friends place and saw it on Bell and then at my parents' with Rogers. Cogeco is GARBAGE for HD TV.

The HD streams I have been viewing have been better quality than cable. I have a 30Mbps connection, and have been watching them on a 46" Sony LCD. I will be buying another AppleTV for the basement where my PS3 and 60" plasma is located.

As a bonus, I will be able to watch games when I'm traveling this winter (3 trips coming up). This is exactly the service I've been waiting for.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Im hearing mixed messages about the archived games...

Someone posted on the main board yesterday that most games this season have been archived quite fast - within a few hours of them finishing. now people are saying they can only see games from last june?

games are on when im at work here. the archived feature is essentially the main reason id be getting this so i want to make sure.
Full length games AND condensed games, both are available right now. 48 hour rule applies if you want to Leafs game from Toronto.

Don't look for games in NHL vault. Instead, go to recap of the game you want to see and the links are on that page. (NHL GCL subscription required)

Old
01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Full length games AND condensed games, both are available right now. 48 hour rule applies if you want to Leafs game from Toronto.

Don't look for games in NHL vault. Instead, go to recap of the game you want to see and the links are on that page. (NHL GCL subscription required)
I can +1 this. I've had GCL for about 3 days now, and I can't get enough of it. ALL the games are archived, the quality is very, very good and there's good extra content too (game stories, pre-game articles, photos, NHL vault with tons of classic leafs games, etc). I find the interface to be extremely user-friendly. For example, in all the games both live and archived, there is a little bar at the bottom that tags shots, goals, etc with a marker, so when you want to go back and watch one, or when you go to an archived game and want to watch around those moments, you can easily find them. Cool little thing.

Yes, the lack of a working PS3 app is a sore spot, but from now until Feb 1st you can stream via any other platform. Definitely, definitely worth the $49.99.

I would also recommend giving unblockus a try too - you get a 1 week trial with no commitment, which also doubles as a gateway to a MUCH better Netflix catalogue of content.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:29 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:

Great, thank you. Looks like I'll be buying tonight.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Reiterating myself for the umpteenth time now.

Getting around blackout for entire game replay or condensed game is same as getting around for live feed. Check my posts history in this thread.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:53 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Wait a minute, if I have to go to the game recap to access the archived version, will I not be seeing the score?

Is there a way to watch the archive without seeing the result of the game? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Old
01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
paulster2626
Don't Mess with me

Quote:
Wait a minute, if I have to go to the game recap to access the archived version, will I not be seeing the score?

Is there a way to watch the archive without seeing the result of the game? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
On my Apple TV I have gone to "Settings" in the NHLGC app and set "Show Scores" to "Heelllll No!"

I see blank scores and stats. It's nice.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:

Are you looking for really old games? Or just recent game, like last night's game? If you want to do the later, thats even easier (to watch game without knowing the score in advance).

Bottom line is, If you want to watch 12 min condensed game without knowing score, that's tough to do (not impossible though). If you want to watch full game without knowing score, thats straightforward.

Going by what you've said so far, I'd just recommend you buy it and then I can guide you further. (You can always ask for refund with in 7 days I think)

Old
01-22-2013, 12:01 PM
yakfish
"Holy Mackinaw!"

vCash: 50
This is my second season with gcl. I was ticked off when it wouldn't work thru my ps3 but I have been watching it via NHL.com and plugging my laptop into my TV with an hdmi cable. The HD quality seems to be better than it was last year going thru the ps3. I live in Ohio so very few of the Leafs games are blacked out here. The only beef I have, is not being able to watch the intermission reports (depending on which network is broadcasting the game). But other than that I am very happy with the service. Especially at 49.99.

yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:19 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Are you looking for really old games? Or just recent game, like last night's game? If you want to do the later, thats even easier (to watch game without knowing the score in advance).

Bottom line is, If you want to watch 12 min condensed game without knowing score, that's tough to do (not impossible though). If you want to watch full game without knowing score, thats straightforward.

Going by what you've said so far, I'd just recommend you buy it and then I can guide you further. (You can always ask for refund with in 7 days I think)
Definitely full games. Games are on in the middle of the afternoon where I am and I'll be wanting to watch them in their entirety later that night (whenever they get archived). As long as there is an option that says turn scores on/off I'm good.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Definitely full games. Games are on in the middle of the afternoon where I am and I'll be wanting to watch them in their entirety later that night (whenever they get archived). As long as there is an option that says turn scores on/off I'm good.
There is.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

So can someone in the Leafs viewing area clarify for me what games will be blacked out?

Obviously all Leafs games are blacked out. But what about the nationally broadcast games from TSN and CBC? Will they all be blacked out (i.e. would tonights national TSN broadcast of Jets-Caps be blacked out on Gamecentre?)

Will games running concurrent to a national broadcast also be blacked out? (i.e., TSN is showing the Jets game nationally at 7 p.m. Will I be able to watch other 7 pm NHL games, like Fla-Mon, on Gamecentre?).

Old
01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
So can someone in the Leafs viewing area clarify for me what games will be blacked out?

Obviously all Leafs games are blacked out. But what about the nationally broadcast games from TSN and CBC? Will they all be blacked out (i.e. would tonights national TSN broadcast of Jets-Caps be blacked out on Gamecentre?)

Will games running concurrent to a national broadcast also be blacked out? (i.e., TSN is showing the Jets game nationally at 7 p.m. Will I be able to watch other 7 pm NHL games, like Fla-Mon, on Gamecentre?).
Jets game gets blacked out. Other concurrent games don't.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Jets game gets blacked out. Other concurrent games don't.
So your local regional broadcasts get blacked out, and games that are being broadcast nationally get blacked out. Thank you.

I may make the jump tonight and get it.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Deebo

Quote:

You not understanding the blackout rules doesn't make them idiots.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:58 PM
MaximAmirian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
You not understanding the blackout rules doesn't make them idiots.
Apparently you're the one that doesn't understand blackout rules considering you need a subscription to Sportsnet in order to watch it on rogersondemand.

MaximAmirian is offline   Reply With Quote