HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Considering NHL Gamecenter live - any thoughts?

Old
02-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Ptownkid
Rookie User

vCash: 500
A few people have asked this but no one has answered...on the PS3, where is this mythical fast forward and rewind they claim to have? There's only a skip forward and backward in a minimum of 2.4(ish) minute intervals...how bloody useless.

Has this app always been such garbage? I can't figure out for the life of me why Sony would not make the controls the same as watching EVERY OTHER VIDEO ON THE PS3...like Xbox did. The whole app is just awkward in general. I'm starting to feel like I might have to pony up the dough for Xbox live gold just so I can use it instead even though the video quality and consistency has been great on PS3.

Big fail Sony...

Ptownkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
A few people have asked this but no one has answered...on the PS3, where is this mythical fast forward and rewind they claim to have? There's only a skip forward and backward in a minimum of 2.4(ish) minute intervals...how bloody useless.

Has this app always been such garbage? I can't figure out for the life of me why Sony would not make the controls the same as watching EVERY OTHER VIDEO ON THE PS3...like Xbox did. The whole app is just awkward in general. I'm starting to feel like I might have to pony up the dough for Xbox live gold just so I can use it instead even though the video quality and consistency has been great on PS3.

Big fail Sony...
Why would that be useless? It seems to help me, and I use it.

Having owned GameCentre for the length of this season so far, and having the benefit of testing it out on multiple platforms (ie. Android HTC phone over 3g, over Wifi, iPad, laptop, PS3 App) I can definitely say that the new PS3 App is a work in progress. It's still rough around the edges and there seems to be a delay on when games start so you can't actually join or watch the game until it's actually live. Odd, because on the computer stream you can join the game at the beginning of the broadcast time. However, to those that have performance issues with the PS3 app... I can say it definitely works, and definitely produces HD video via wifi. I can attest to this as I've watched a few games now over wifi in HD via PS3 app. I do agree that it's an awkward app in current state, but it is v1 so I would suggest being patient - they're likely to release an update in the near future.

My biggest knock against the Gamecentre platform is that there are clearly some stability issues. Last night I was watching the Leafs game and the game froze, would not reconnect, so I tried logging out and logging back on, but I couldn't even log back on for roughly 10 minutes. After that, I was able to log back on and watch. No biggy really, as I didn't miss any content, but still notable. This 10-minute downtime seems to also happen sporadically where you'll go to watch a game and it will say all games are blacked out. Logging out and back in usually fixes this or if it doesn't it only lasts approx 5-10m. Again, small nuisance, but notable.

Oh yes, I will also say that I've noticed that the LeafsTV feeds GCL taps tend to be a lower quality than the other feeds. It's still HD, but I've watched 2 leafs games from the opponent's HD feed because the LeafsTV feed was a bit stuttery. Not sure why, but there it is.

From what I've heard, NHL.com and Gamecentre are struggling to meet the demand for GCL this year. They dropped the ball on the PS3 app that wasn't ready by launch and the underestimated what their user base would be, and are still working the kinks in the service out. The PS3 app is a good example of a v1 that's likely to see much further development. Not sure if it's like this for anyone else, but my PS3 DVD Remote doesn't work in the PS3 GCL app. Some buttons do, but the 'X' button just does not work.

Frankly, I'm prepared to live with those minor nuisances as my overall experience is still quite good. The ability to watch basically every game in the NHL, in HD quality, from either home or visitor feeds, is worth the occasional hiccup, provided it remains that.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Oh yes, I will also say that I've noticed that the LeafsTV feeds GCL taps tend to be a lower quality than the other feeds. It's still HD, but I've watched 2 leafs games from the opponent's HD feed because the LeafsTV feed was a bit stuttery. Not sure why, but there it is.
Yes I noticed this too. Last night was alright but in the past it was incredibly choppy throughout the first period and then it would be normal after that.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
^ To add to that, Leafs TV feed doesn't look like HD on GCL even at 3000 kbps.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
dubplatepressure

Well good - at least I know I'm not alone on that one.

The one thing I've had a hard time distinguishing is when issues do arise, which source is causing them. It could either be something on my end, NHL/GCL issues, or Unblock-us having DNS issues.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:15 AM
mt99808

This service is so typical NHL. MLB.tv is next to flawless. I use Gamecenter on 3 different devices.

Roku - last night I come home about 10 PM and I wanted to watch the game from the beginning. Load up Roku because this functionality isn't available on ipad (more on that in a minute) until after the game. I can't get anything, any game to load on the Roku. Gamecentre says loading where it stays forever until the app crashes. On the Roku app you have the option of playing from the beginning or joining in progress. Well 30 seconds after the game ends you can't watch from the beginning until several hours after the game. But if you load it with 10 seconds left in the third you can watch from the beginning. This makes lots of sense.

iPad - has no play from the beginning option even though they advertise pvr functionality. Also if you want to switch feeds (home/away) mid game on a game you are replaying it goes back to the beginning of the game. Last weekend my sound all of a sudden would not work on my ipad. I called their tech support and ask why this might be. They tell me my toggle switch has to be set to "mute" and not "rotate screen" or the audio won't work. I asked why and why it worked for 2 weeks previous to this when my toggle was on "rotate screen" to which I could not get an answer.

PS3 - I find PS3 has the best quality but the games are several minutes behind the other apps. I get random blackout messages on all my apps where they shouldn't apply but get this the most on ps3. The only way to sometimes get it to work is to completely shut off my ps3 and reload everything which can take up to 5 minutes.

I love being able to watch a game on my tv and another on my ipad but this service is nowhere close to what mlb offers.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Ptownkid
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Why would that be useless? It seems to help me, and I use it.
I called it useless because you miss parts of the game by skipping forward 2.5 minutes...

I seriously hope you're right about it being a work in progress, but overall I am VERY disappointed in this APP by comparison to other platforms.

Ptownkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:28 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt99808 View Post
This service is so typical NHL. MLB.tv is next to flawless. I use Gamecenter on 3 different devices.

Roku - last night I come home about 10 PM and I wanted to watch the game from the beginning. Load up Roku because this functionality isn't available on ipad (more on that in a minute) until after the game. I can't get anything, any game to load on the Roku. Gamecentre says loading where it stays forever until the app crashes. On the Roku app you have the option of playing from the beginning or joining in progress. Well 30 seconds after the game ends you can't watch from the beginning until several hours after the game. But if you load it with 10 seconds left in the third you can watch from the beginning. This makes lots of sense.

iPad - has no play from the beginning option even though they advertise pvr functionality. Also if you want to switch feeds (home/away) mid game on a game you are replaying it goes back to the beginning of the game. Last weekend my sound all of a sudden would not work on my ipad. I called their tech support and ask why this might be. They tell me my toggle switch has to be set to "mute" and not "rotate screen" or the audio won't work. I asked why and why it worked for 2 weeks previous to this when my toggle was on "rotate screen" to which I could not get an answer.

PS3 - I find PS3 has the best quality but the games are several minutes behind the other apps. I get random blackout messages on all my apps where they shouldn't apply but get this the most on ps3. The only way to sometimes get it to work is to completely shut off my ps3 and reload everything which can take up to 5 minutes.

I love being able to watch a game on my tv and another on my ipad but this service is nowhere close to what mlb offers.

I also get the service delay with PS3 and I too get the occasional audio issue with the ipad. This just means they're still working out the kinks of the service. Consider that MLB.tv launched in 2002 and has a 7-8 year head start on Gamecentre, not to mention a much larger fanbase and target demographic of viewers/users. Baseball is huge in the US and MLB has been catering to that for 10 years. I would imagine GCL has nowhere near the same resources that MLB.tv has, nor the same demand, at present. Give it time

IMO it's still way, way, WAY better than any other service.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out

vCash: 400
It's been working great for me on AppleTV - I am really enjoying not having to listen to the idiots on the home feeds anymore. No more Millen for me!

The PS3 app sucks balls though. I'm going to buy another ATV just for the basement.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:35 PM
RomanianLeafs

black out for me habs against leafs tonight ( and already used the free week trial for unblock us...

RomanianLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanianLeafs View Post
black out for me habs against leafs tonight ( and already used the free week trial for unblock us...
Just pay the $5, its for an entire month. Let's say there are 10 leafs games in a month (there are a bit more) that's 50 cents a game. You can cancel for the next month if you don't want it.

Unless you live in montreal then I would just go to any bar and watch the game if we are facing the habs.

Prophet Kadri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
There was an error rendering this page. Please try again.

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:13 PM
beavcc
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilson* View Post
Hey guys, first post!

I had game centre for a long time, but just got sick of the blackouts. Pretty much any important or fun game is blacked out. All TO of course, even BUF, BOS, DET, EDM, a lot of Flames games even.

IMO it's not worth the cost. If it had no blackouts I would pay that price, but after the lockout it's hard to stomach giving these guys money for 60% of the games, and ALL the good ones.
Use showmonkey.com to hide your IP and it will unblock the blackout games. I've been using it and it's working great.

beavcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Naggah

Hey gang, I am wondering if anyone would know if it is a possibility to get around blackout restrictions when it is broadcasted nationally in both canada and the US (i.e., the maple leafs/ canadians game tonight).
Currently I am using hotspot shield for a proxy but it wont let me watch games broadcasted nationally in north america. Do I have to pay to get a proxy from somewhere such as china? where there is no NHL broadcasted?
I would also like to know if there is a solution to this problem once the playoffs start. I know you would be able to get a few series but ECF/WCF/SCF would all be blacked out.
please, help!
streaming off justintv etc just wont work for the playoffs.

Naggah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggah View Post
Hey gang, I am wondering if anyone would know if it is a possibility to get around blackout restrictions when it is broadcasted nationally in both canada and the US (i.e., the maple leafs/ canadians game tonight).
Currently I am using hotspot shield for a proxy but it wont let me watch games broadcasted nationally in north america. Do I have to pay to get a proxy from somewhere such as china? where there is no NHL broadcasted?
I would also like to know if there is a solution to this problem once the playoffs start. I know you would be able to get a few series but ECF/WCF/SCF would all be blacked out.
please, help!
i just watched the cbc stream tonight. almost as good quality as GCL.

but if you could find a euro proxy that would work

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Naggah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
i just watched the cbc stream tonight. almost as good quality as GCL.

but if you could find a euro proxy that would work
Off of which website?

edit: NVM gotchya, the cbc stream. cheers! thanks.

Last edited by Naggah: 04-13-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Naggah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 05:52 AM
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggah View Post
please, help!
I always watch HNIC with GCL and unblockus. Has been working quite swimmingly all season.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:15 AM
darkside flow
nickeleye cool lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
I always watch HNIC with GCL and unblockus. Has been working quite swimmingly all season.
Another vote for unblockus. $5 a month and it works perfectly.

Also gets you US Netflix as a bonus.

darkside flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:13 AM
allyb

Send a message via ICQ to allyb Send a message via Yahoo to allyb
unblockus here too , easy to set up and no problems here either

allyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:48 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyb View Post
unblockus here too , easy to set up and no problems here either
+5

Used it all season. Best part (other than always working) IMO is their service - email them with a support issue and without a doubt 5 min later you receive a response. Superb service.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:47 PM
peety16

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
Another vote for unblockus. $5 a month and it works perfectly.

Also gets you US Netflix as a bonus.
Another vote for unblock US too, the american netflix is great and I just remembered you can watch shows directly on sites like nbc whereas before it was always blacked out

peety16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

From my understanding they don't show playoff games

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
vflawiess

unblock us all the way worth every penny

vflawiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
I still don't know how, but I have unblock-us full time account and I didn't even pay for it. I entered a random email address for trial, and then when trial ended I entered it again after a week, and now I've been using unblock-us for 3 weeks now.

It is great that such a simple fix works on any and all internet devices (including consoles).

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:09 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by peety16 View Post
Another vote for unblock US too, the american netflix is great and I just remembered you can watch shows directly on sites like nbc whereas before it was always blacked out
most if not all shows on NBC that are popular are shown on a Canadian station aswell so you can just watch the episodes on there websites. same for CBS, Fox or ABC

-DeMo- is online now   Reply With Quote