HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 11:48 PM
  #251
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
That

Luongo really has no power in this. If the Canucks choose to sit him, they'll sit him. What's he going to do? refuse to play? okay.. he's not playing in the first place.

this isn't Patrick Roy telling the Habs he's done. Luongo has come out and said "if Gillis wants me to waive my NTC i'll waive"

That tells me Luongo has NO power and is willing to do whatever it takes to play again
You guys just assume that Luongo will roll over don't you?

Rinzler is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:48 PM
  #252
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
But the whole argument is getting Lu would help us win and winning will help us attract FAs. Well why didn't Schultz go to Vancouver?
Schultz Garrison, you can't have them all. Though didn't Schultz say Vancouver was the front runner but the Oilers woo'd him away? It's not exactly like he said "No *********ing way I'm playing for the Canucks"

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:48 PM
  #253
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
That

Luongo really has no power in this. If the Canucks choose to sit him, they'll sit him. What's he going to do? refuse to play? okay.. he's not playing in the first place.

this isn't Patrick Roy telling the Habs he's done. Luongo has come out and said "if Gillis wants me to waive my NTC i'll waive"

That tells me Luongo has NO power and is willing to do whatever it takes to play again
Meh. I'm sure Gillis has a hint of where Luongo will and wont go to.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:50 PM
  #254
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Schultz Garrison, you can't have them all. Though didn't Schultz say Vancouver was the front runner but the Oilers woo'd him away? It's not exactly like he said "No *********ing way I'm playing for the Canucks"
Maybe he was still upset the Nucks didn't draft him.

He was definitely hoping for it back then, f'ing Sauve. Canucks need to get better at 2nd round picks...

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:52 PM
  #255
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,823
vCash: 50
schultz went for the playing time, it's that simple.

Lucbourdon is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:53 PM
  #256
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Of course you're right. However timing is everything. The Toronto Maple Leafs management team (including Nonis) have been adding prospects for 4 years now with Kadri marking the start of the transformation. They are only now just starting to see these guys make the jump, there's just no way they'd throw all that work away just to pick up Luongo.

He'd be a huge upgrade, no doubt about it, but the timing just isn't right to give up young players for a team that has done nothing but acquire young players recently. Luongo is the kind of player you pick up when you're going for the cup. Do the Leafs look to you like a team that is a goalie away from the cup?
Don't think Canucks should trade with TO unless its 1) necessary 2) they are the only option.

As ive said before it isnt about going for the cup. Not some sort of hail mary. Leafs have to start consistently making the playoffs first. And luongo would do that.

As it stands Leafs build through the draft, with their current prospect pool, leaves me thinking it will be a good 5 years minimum before they make any sort of "run". But hey theres always chance and luck.

A guy of Kadris skill level should be a shoe-in on a team like TO. Hes not, for a reason.

Aside from that you have Gardiner with one season under his belt. And Reilly who may or may not make it.

Frankly after doing as poorly as they have for as long as they have TOs prospect pool isn't any better than Vancouver's.

I don't see much in terms of upgrades for Vancouver.

Lonny Bohonos is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:54 PM
  #257
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Meh. I'm sure Gillis has a hint of where Luongo will and wont go to.
Im sure he has more than a hint. It will be explicit.

Lonny Bohonos is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:56 PM
  #258
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
So if he tells gillis, "If you don't trade me now, I'm never waiving the NTC" what do you think will happen?

Luongo has EARNED his place in the NHL and no ******* GM will tear him down, if the relationship sours, it's not Luongo that will have a problem. Luongo has more power than Gillis in this situation.
Now you're just pulling at straws. Marc-Andre Gragnani....look him up. That's what happens when you bluff, bluster or bully you're way with Gillis. He may have been a rookie GM when we was hired, but he was a player agent before that.

If Luongo's attitude pulls a 180 and he tries that, he's either playing for us, likely as a towel boy or back up to Lack, or he's picked up by Columbus or Edmonton on waivers.

That, or you know, he continues to be a consummate professional, and doesn't act like a possible trade is the sword of Damocles above his head. He's happy here, and I am more or less certain that Luongo will challenge strongly for the starting position and not just sit back and accept being a back up. Schneider upped his game when a chance came, Luongo will as well.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:58 PM
  #259
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
So if he tells gillis, "If you don't trade me now, I'm never waiving the NTC" what do you think will happen?

Luongo has EARNED his place in the NHL and no ******* GM will tear him down, if the relationship sours, it's not Luongo that will have a problem. Luongo has more power than Gillis in this situation.
????


Luongo: MG I want you to trade me tomorrow to the Panthers.

MG: OK.

<talks to Tallon>

MG: Sorry Lu I tried. Panthers dont want or need you. Maybe you could expand your list and help me help you if you are in a hurry to get out of here.

Lu: Thats it I'll retire then.

MG: Well that is a lot of money to be leaving on the table. What about bankrolling your future as a poker player? Maybe a buy out is a better option.



etc etc etc blah blah blah

Lonny Bohonos is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:01 AM
  #260
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
You guys just assume that Luongo will roll over don't you?
Again ????


Whats he rolling over for? Theres nothing for him to "roll over about".


He signed a contract in which he got a NTC so he could have some say in his destiny. If those teams hes listed dont want him too bad so sad. He will have to expand his list.


Nothing to see here move along. Unless of course you are trying to create some "situation" where you believe the Leafs suddenly become the beneficiary of a "rift"?

Lonny Bohonos is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:03 AM
  #261
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
????


Luongo: MG I want you to trade me tomorrow to the Panthers.

MG: OK.

<talks to Tallon>

MG: Sorry Lu I tried. Panthers dont want or need you. Maybe you could expand your list and help me help you if you are in a hurry to get out of here.

Lu: Thats it I'll retire then.

MG: Well that is a lot of money to be leaving on the table. What about bankrolling your future as a poker player? Maybe a buy out is a better option.



etc etc etc blah blah blah
Exactly..........

Luongo has far less power in this situation. He has a massive contract and an obligation to fulfill it or retire.

I have to say on your last sentence though.....at no point will Luongo be bought out by the Canucks. It will never happen.

ginner classic is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:04 AM
  #262
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
You guys just assume that Luongo will roll over don't you?
Signed contract. No play....no pay.

ginner classic is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:05 AM
  #263
BlackRedYellow
Registered User
 
BlackRedYellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
Pretty much dead silence on the Luongo front right now.

Feels like the calm before the storm. Think a deal is done by tomorrow night.

BlackRedYellow is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:06 AM
  #264
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
So much homerism in this post, but it's late and I've got nothing better to do...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Don't think Canucks should trade with TO unless its 1) necessary 2) they are the only option.

As ive said before it isnt about going for the cup. Not some sort of hail mary. Leafs have to start consistently making the playoffs first. And luongo would do that.
They need to make the playoffs before selling off their youth. What you are proposing is completely backwards. Rebuilding teams don't ditch their youth to make the playoffs. That's not how it works, you make the big moves once your prospects are ready. This kind of thing is exactly why the Leafs haven't won the cup since 67. It's stands to reason that they are not going to go down that road again.

Quote:
As it stands Leafs build through the draft, with their current prospect pool, leaves me thinking it will be a good 5 years minimum before they make any sort of "run". But hey theres always chance and luck.
So the Leafs need a rebuild that will take 5 years but here you are advocating that the Leaf pick up a 33 year old goalie? You seem incapable at looking at this from both sides

Quote:
A guy of Kadris skill level should be a shoe-in on a team like TO. Hes not, for a reason.
Ahh yes my favourite logic. Clearly the Leafs are one of the worst teams last year so that means anyone who didn't make the team clearly is unable to make the NHL. If you don't understand there is way more to it than that then I will just agree to disagree here and let you figure it out someday.

Quote:
Aside from that you have Gardiner with one season under his belt. And Reilly who may or may not make it.
Rielly may not make the NHL? You are full of it. Alrighty, moving on...

Quote:
Frankly after doing as poorly as they have for as long as they have TOs prospect pool isn't any better than Vancouver's.

I don't see much in terms of upgrades for Vancouver.
Given your above logic, perhaps Vancouver should only deal with elite teams as they are the only teams that might have upgrades for you. Good luck with that.

Rinzler is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:06 AM
  #265
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Exactly..........

Luongo has far less power in this situation. He has a massive contract and an obligation to fulfill it or retire.

I have to say on your last sentence though.....at no point will Luongo be bought out by the Canucks. It will never happen.
My last sentence said nothing about buying him out.

However I agree my 2nd to last sentence is unlikely to happen. Im just helping people with their fantasy land stories.

Lonny Bohonos is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:11 AM
  #266
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
My last sentence said nothing about buying him out.

However I agree my 2nd to last sentence is unlikely to happen. Im just helping people with their fantasy land stories.
Funny so am I.

Rinzler is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:12 AM
  #267
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Signed contract. No play....no pay.
He has an NTC, do you know that means?

Rinzler is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:15 AM
  #268
Minimalist*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
He has an NTC, do you know that means?
For your own sake, stop and walk away. I'm being genuinely sincere here, these guys are gonna tear you to shreds.

A NTC isn't what you think it is.

Minimalist* is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:18 AM
  #269
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 566
Question: When does Vancouver become desperate to trade Luongo if they aren't already?

They have to get down to 64.3M by next season; so they are in some cap trouble.

A1LeafNation is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:19 AM
  #270
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
So much homerism in this post, but it's late and I've got nothing better to do...
Not sure where my homerism is coming out. Maybe you'd care to point that out for me.

Quote:
They need to make the playoffs before selling off their youth. What you are proposing is completely backwards. Rebuilding teams don't ditch their youth to make the playoffs. That's not how it works, you make the big moves once your prospects are ready. This kind of thing is exactly why the Leafs haven't won the cup since 67. It's stands to reason that they are not going to go down that road again.
I disagree. Teams need to make the playoffs for the revenues. Team management is there to make money. Money left on the table from not playing in the playoffs is money lost.

Fans on the other hand have much more emotional investment. Like I said Vancouver fans in the late 80s and early 90s were very much the same. We used to look forward to the draft as thats all we had. We used to think "whats another year being at the bottom of the Smythe, below Winnipeg/LA".

I realize the "crown jewel" aspects has fans not too concerned about money as TO will *never* be in financial trouble but I guarantee you management has a different view on the money thats being left on the table.

Quote:
So the Leafs need a rebuild that will take 5 years but here you are advocating that the Leaf pick up a 33 year old goalie? You seem incapable at looking at this from both sides
Havent advocated that at all. However the idea that TO is somehow rebuilding is laughable.

Quote:
Ahh yes my favourite logic. Clearly the Leafs are one of the worst teams last year so that means anyone who didn't make the team clearly is unable to make the NHL. If you don't understand there is way more to it than that then I will just agree to disagree here and let you figure it out someday.
Ahh not what I said at all. The Leafs could use a guys of Kadris ilk on their team yet hes not. Im under the impression the Leafs need a #1 center? Nothing to do with his skill level and everything to do with the knocks that have been with him already. Lack of fitness, immature, bad defense etc

Its not like its uncommon for hyped first rounders to never make a serious impact in the NHL. Usually its due to attitude and not skill.

Quote:
Rielly may not make the NHL? You are full of it. Alrighty, moving on.
Reilly will probably "make" the NHL. Depends if your definition is playing a few games here and there, playing a couple of seasons, or fulfilling his potential.

Again hes a prospect.



Quote:
Given your above logic, perhaps Vancouver should only deal with elite teams as they are the only teams that might have upgrades for you. Good luck with that.

This has nothing to do with my logic and nothing to do with what I said.

No where did I say Canucks should only deal with elite teams.

What I will say is they should try to deal with teams that have something they need and want.

Said teams can be terrible terrible teams but who have drafted and developed well (not TO), teams that have had a ton of really high picks with lots of blue chippers, teams that have immediate help for the nucks etc.

Lonny Bohonos is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:24 AM
  #271
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Question: When does Vancouver become desperate to trade Luongo if they aren't already?

They have to get down to 64.3M by next season; so they are in some cap trouble.
They will become desperate (IMO) in August if they have resigned Edler + not gotten rid of Ballard or other large contracts. I would assume it wouldn't get to this point but if it did I could see Gillis taking a lesser deal than what he's looking for. (though even then Bozak + Frattin + 3rd type deal probably still doesn't get it done).

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:25 AM
  #272
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Question: When does Vancouver become desperate to trade Luongo if they aren't already?

They have to get down to 64.3M by next season; so they are in some cap trouble.
They do have (approx) 9 months to get to that number

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:26 AM
  #273
Vorkosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
You guys just assume that Luongo will roll over don't you?
What power does Luongo have?

The main power for most players is that they will refuse to play, or sit out.

here's the thing ace.

LUONGO IS ALREADY RIDING THE PINE PONY

what else can he do?

Refuse to play? Aqualini would love that, doesn't even have to pay him the 7 million he's due this year

Vorkosh is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:27 AM
  #274
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Question: When does Vancouver become desperate to trade Luongo if they aren't already?

They have to get down to 64.3M by next season; so they are in some cap trouble.
Ballard bought out, Alberts, Malhotra and Raymond left to walk, Higgins and or Lapierre too if needed, and we have plenty of space to sign Edler, as well as call up our own youth the replace those we let walk. We are in no trouble at all.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:28 AM
  #275
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Ballard bought out, Alberts, Malhotra and Raymond left to walk, Higgins and or Lapierre too if needed, and we have plenty of space to sign Edler, as well as call up our own youth the replace those we let walk. We are in no trouble at all.
And thats assuming a Luongo trade doesn't materialize within the next 9 months

Ho Borvat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.