HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 04:09 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Good thing we have a different scouting staff now than the one in Vancouver back then. GMs don't make the call on drafting Director of Scouting does.
I must be getting tired, because this is getting harder and harder to keep up with.

Burke, in his first draft, when confronted by Ottawa's GM to see who they'd be drafting, said "That's who I'm going with" when asked about Kadri. Scouts are paid to give recommendations and reports, but it's still management who have absolute control over the situation.

I remember one of our senior scouts quitting after the White draft.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:11 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Good thing we have a different scouting staff now than the one in Vancouver back then. GMs don't make the call on drafting Director of Scouting does.

The GM's input is usually felt all over the 1st rounder. So while the scouting dept. controls the draft, the GM puts his stamp on it by getting his guy in the 1st, amongst 2-3 similarly ranked players.

Case in point, Nonis drafting Bourdon ahead of Kopitar. He was known to have preferred Dmen, wanting to build the team from the net out. This was just another example of that ideology.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:11 AM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I must be getting tired, because this is getting harder and harder to keep up with.

Burke, in his first draft, when confronted by Ottawa's GM to see who they'd be drafting, said "That's who I'm going with" when asked about Kadri. Scouts are paid to give recommendations and reports, but it's still management who have absolute control over the situation.

I remember one of our senior scouts quitting after the White draft.

Kadri was Dave Morrison's pick, Burke was just reiterating it to Bryan Murray. They have behind the scenes videos of the Leafs 2009 draft on youtube where you can see they were talking about Kadri all along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST9bLG_Aqa4

4:05 onwards. Listen carefully.

Last edited by A1LeafNation: 01-14-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old
01-14-2013, 04:13 AM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Out of those 22 players, how many will be in Toronto in 3-5 years...maybe 6 or 7. At least a third of the draft picks will never play in the NHL. Some of the UFA players will leave. Some players will also be traded. Burke and Nonis don't exactly have a reputation of being good at drafting and developing players. Out of all those players listed, you have very poor future option at center and a weak goaltending pool.

...and thats fine, goalies and centers are a weakness, but Im sure the Leafs are aware of it and we will starting drafting and developing at those positions too.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:16 AM
Nash

If Leaf fans truly believe that Luongo won't fetch much. If they see the trade market is nothing more than something horrible, like Bozak, Franson and a second, do you really think that Gillis is going to trade Luongo there? He would be on the early game every week on HNIC.

If the market is that bad, Gillis would go elsewhere just to avoid the negative publicity.

I have a hard to believing Luongo goes to Toronto period, unless it is overpayment. There would be years of media and fans scrutinizing the trade.

I still think Florida is likely or another Eastern team moves a goalie out to accommodate a trade.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
...and thats fine, goalies and centers are a weakness, but Im sure the Leafs are aware of it and we will starting drafting and developing at those positions too.

I think the Leafs have been aware of this weakness for quite some time, yet no fix. A lot easier said than done.

I don't see any goaltending solutions out there just yet. There may be some later in the year, but are the Leafs still in the playoff hunt by then? Tough to say.

As an outsider, I'm really interested to see how Kessel and Lupul perform as a 2way line under Carlyle's tutelage. Could be some growing pains there. I'd also like to see Kadri under this system.

For the Canucks, it will be about getting enough offense while Kesler is out. It will be tough, and I think they'll be a much lower scoring team this year, but better defensively by adding Garrison and keeping the Luo/Schneids tandem together... for as long as possible.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:23 AM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Id prefer it if Luongo went elsewhere. He couldn't take a stacked Vancouver team over the top in his prime, so whats he gonna do when he is past his prime?

Old
01-14-2013, 04:25 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Id prefer it if Luongo went elsewhere. He couldn't take a stacked Vancouver team over the top in his prime, so whats he gonna do when he is past his prime?
How original.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:37 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

The team was as much at fault as Luongo was. They didn't kick in the offense when it was required. Injuries also piled up in 2011. But anyways, this has been hashed and re-hashed ad nauseum.

Bottom line, the teams that are in on Luongo, are the ones that recognize him to be the high end goalie that he is. That's TOR, with Nonis at the helm, for sure. So while you may hope Luongo goes elsewhere (and many VAN fans do as well) it will come down to the GMs that have had a _known_ interest in him... Nonis is clearly after Luongo here.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Vorkosh

Quote:
He came pretty damn close. 2 shutouts in the finals. Game 7. I'm sorry, I was unaware that goalies needed to score goals as well as prevent them from going in.

My bad, you're right, what a worthless goalie Luongo is

Old
01-14-2013, 05:49 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Guess you wouldn't take a prime Sundin on your team again because he couldn't win the Leafs jack.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:00 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 533
one thing i would find deeply amusing is if say vancouver and Edmonton got together for the a trade and say it was Hall, Nuge or Eberle for Luongo--what this place would look like. I figure there would be a war between several board at one time and the powers that be would just kill the entire site to clean up the mess

01-14-2013, 06:05 AM
RECsGuy*

2:50-3:41

Old
01-14-2013, 07:08 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
When was Vancouver stacked? I don't think Gillis knows how to stack a team for a run! The Canucks have literally run out of defencemen before in the playoffs.

In the last four years Luongo has been a major factor in the Canuck's success, limited as that may be. The Sedins are too slow to back check, always have been. Think about what that means to a goaltender, the top line, eating up mega minutes, doesn't backcheck! It's Luongo that allows the team this luxery. The team goes utterly off the rails trying too hard if Luongo is off his game even a little bit. He is key.

Moving forward, Gillis wants a guy back that has some impact, just like Luongo would on any roster.

I cannot believe the number of Toronto posts that seem to be protesting a move that would carry their team into the playoffs. That's fine, let Luongo go elsewhere. How many elite goalies sign in Canada nowadays? I'm sure another will come along.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
If Leaf fans truly believe that Luongo won't fetch much. If they see the trade market is nothing more than something horrible, like Bozak, Franson and a second, do you really think that Gillis is going to trade Luongo there? He would be on the early game every week on HNIC.

If the market is that bad, Gillis would go elsewhere just to avoid the negative publicity.

I have a hard to believing Luongo goes to Toronto period, unless it is overpayment. There would be years of media and fans scrutinizing the trade.

I still think Florida is likely or another Eastern team moves a goalie out to accommodate a trade.
It's not just Leaf fans who feel the price is to high.....obviously,management feels the same. As does every other GM. My proof....if the market was as vast as you think, someone would have made a good offer. I agree if Gillis wants top dollar he won't trade Luongo.....not by choice though.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:46 AM
asian mailman

Quote:
Out of those 22 players, how many will be in Toronto in 3-5 years...maybe 6 or 7. At least a third of the draft picks will never play in the NHL. Some of the UFA players will leave. Some players will also be traded. Burke and Nonis don't exactly have a reputation of being good at drafting and developing players. Out of all those players listed, you have very poor future option at center and a weak goaltending pool.

yeah burkes drafting sucks just see sedins for info. kesler was also a bust

Old
01-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian mailman View Post
yeah burkes drafting sucks just see sedins for info.
Generally it does. Doesnt help his truculent nature tends to off put the ones he does see RJ Umberger.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:22 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
It's not just Leaf fans who feel the price is to high.....obviously,management feels the same. As does every other GM. My proof....if the market was as vast as you think, someone would have made a good offer. I agree if Gillis wants top dollar he won't trade Luongo.....not by choice though.
It has been ONE day since the lockout ended. The fact that Luongo was not traded yesterday is not indicative of anything.

Next you'll say, "Gillis had all summer to trade him and didn't. Obviously, nobody wants him!" There is no doubt that GMs would want to see what the financial landscape was going to be before making a trade for a guy like Luongo. Why would they make offers before the lockout was dealt with?

You have no proof for your terrible argument.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:34 AM
momo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian mailman View Post
yeah burkes drafting sucks just see sedins for info. kesler was also a bust
Yes lets use the draft where Burke had 2nd and 3rd overall (hard to miss there)

Lets also use arguably the deepest draft in history - 2003 NHL Entry Draft (hard to miss there too)

Old
01-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
It has been ONE day since the lockout ended. The fact that Luongo was not traded yesterday is not indicative of anything.

Next you'll say, "Gillis had all summer to trade him and didn't. Obviously, nobody wants him!" There is no doubt that GMs would want to see what the financial landscape was going to be before making a trade for a guy like Luongo. Why would they make offers before the lockout was dealt with?

You have no proof for your terrible argument.
My "argument" is using "facts" continually put forth by Canuck fans. If there are multiple teams inyerested, one would think 1 of the GM's would make a move quick to ensure they don't miss out....none have.

In a 48 game season, it would be beneficial for a GM to get Luongo in as quick as possible as there isn't a buffer period to see what you have....none have.

Media rumours have gone from team "X" is interested to team "X" is no longer interested.

This is in no way knocking Luongo, Gillis or the Canucks. I just feel Gillis misjudged the market place when he set his original price. He has essentially handcuffed himself and really CAN'T come down to what the market is really willing to pay without looking a little embarrassed.

Last edited by Liferleafer: 01-14-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old
01-14-2013, 09:10 AM
tiny103

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo View Post
Yes lets use the draft where Burke had 2nd and 3rd overall (hard to miss there)

Lets also use arguably the deepest draft in history - 2003 NHL Entry Draft (hard to miss there too)
Not so easy to get both....

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/1...ed-the-sedins/

Old
01-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
My "argument" is using "facts" continually put forth by Canuck fans. If there are multiple teams inyerested, one would think 1 of the GM's would make a move quick to ensure they don't miss out....none have.

In a 48 game season, it would be beneficial for a GM to get Luongo in as quick as possible as there isn't a buffer period to see what you have....none have.

Media rumours have gone from team "X" is interested to team "X" is no longer interested.

This is in no way knocking Luongo, Gillis or the Canucks. I just feel Gillis misjudged the market place when he set his original price. He has essentially handcuffed himself and really CAN'T come down to what the market is really willing to pay without looking a little embarrassed.
Its quite possible to be interested and to not buy. Just because someone hasnt made a "quick move" does not indicate there is no interest or only one interest.

Obviously price plays a factor.

As for Gillis being handcuffed. Not really. And why would be embarrassed if he lowers the price. Its not like hes known to have a big ego and only those asking know what the price is.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:25 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:

So your "proof" that Gillis misjudged the market is that Luongo wasn't traded in the first 24 hours????

Wow, you really nailed that one. Have you considered law as a profession?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:32 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
So your "proof" that Gillis misjudged the market is that Luongo wasn't traded in the first 24 hours????

He's been on the market since the Spring...

Old
01-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:

So answer this, if there are multiple teams interested, a shortened camp/season...do you feel it is prudent for an interested GM to wait? Or is it more believable that the cost is to high for the market to bear or the interest just isn't there?

Closed Thread