HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 04:09 AM
  #376
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Good thing we have a different scouting staff now than the one in Vancouver back then. GMs don't make the call on drafting Director of Scouting does.
I must be getting tired, because this is getting harder and harder to keep up with.

Burke, in his first draft, when confronted by Ottawa's GM to see who they'd be drafting, said "That's who I'm going with" when asked about Kadri. Scouts are paid to give recommendations and reports, but it's still management who have absolute control over the situation.

I remember one of our senior scouts quitting after the White draft.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:11 AM
  #377
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Good thing we have a different scouting staff now than the one in Vancouver back then. GMs don't make the call on drafting Director of Scouting does.

The GM's input is usually felt all over the 1st rounder. So while the scouting dept. controls the draft, the GM puts his stamp on it by getting his guy in the 1st, amongst 2-3 similarly ranked players.


Case in point, Nonis drafting Bourdon ahead of Kopitar. He was known to have preferred Dmen, wanting to build the team from the net out. This was just another example of that ideology.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:11 AM
  #378
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I must be getting tired, because this is getting harder and harder to keep up with.

Burke, in his first draft, when confronted by Ottawa's GM to see who they'd be drafting, said "That's who I'm going with" when asked about Kadri. Scouts are paid to give recommendations and reports, but it's still management who have absolute control over the situation.

I remember one of our senior scouts quitting after the White draft.

Kadri was Dave Morrison's pick, Burke was just reiterating it to Bryan Murray. They have behind the scenes videos of the Leafs 2009 draft on youtube where you can see they were talking about Kadri all along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST9bLG_Aqa4

4:05 onwards. Listen carefully.


Last edited by A1LeafNation: 01-14-2013 at 04:20 AM.
A1LeafNation is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:13 AM
  #379
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Out of those 22 players, how many will be in Toronto in 3-5 years...maybe 6 or 7. At least a third of the draft picks will never play in the NHL. Some of the UFA players will leave. Some players will also be traded. Burke and Nonis don't exactly have a reputation of being good at drafting and developing players. Out of all those players listed, you have very poor future option at center and a weak goaltending pool.

...and thats fine, goalies and centers are a weakness, but Im sure the Leafs are aware of it and we will starting drafting and developing at those positions too.

A1LeafNation is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:16 AM
  #380
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 500
If Leaf fans truly believe that Luongo won't fetch much. If they see the trade market is nothing more than something horrible, like Bozak, Franson and a second, do you really think that Gillis is going to trade Luongo there? He would be on the early game every week on HNIC.

If the market is that bad, Gillis would go elsewhere just to avoid the negative publicity.

I have a hard to believing Luongo goes to Toronto period, unless it is overpayment. There would be years of media and fans scrutinizing the trade.

I still think Florida is likely or another Eastern team moves a goalie out to accommodate a trade.

Nash is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:21 AM
  #381
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
...and thats fine, goalies and centers are a weakness, but Im sure the Leafs are aware of it and we will starting drafting and developing at those positions too.



I think the Leafs have been aware of this weakness for quite some time, yet no fix. A lot easier said than done.


I don't see any goaltending solutions out there just yet. There may be some later in the year, but are the Leafs still in the playoff hunt by then? Tough to say.


As an outsider, I'm really interested to see how Kessel and Lupul perform as a 2way line under Carlyle's tutelage. Could be some growing pains there. I'd also like to see Kadri under this system.


For the Canucks, it will be about getting enough offense while Kesler is out. It will be tough, and I think they'll be a much lower scoring team this year, but better defensively by adding Garrison and keeping the Luo/Schneids tandem together... for as long as possible.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:23 AM
  #382
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,279
vCash: 500
Id prefer it if Luongo went elsewhere. He couldn't take a stacked Vancouver team over the top in his prime, so whats he gonna do when he is past his prime?

A1LeafNation is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:25 AM
  #383
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Id prefer it if Luongo went elsewhere. He couldn't take a stacked Vancouver team over the top in his prime, so whats he gonna do when he is past his prime?
How original.

Lonny Bohonos is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:37 AM
  #384
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Id prefer it if Luongo went elsewhere. He couldn't take a stacked Vancouver team over the top in his prime, so whats he gonna do when he is past his prime?


The team was as much at fault as Luongo was. They didn't kick in the offense when it was required. Injuries also piled up in 2011. But anyways, this has been hashed and re-hashed ad nauseum.


Bottom line, the teams that are in on Luongo, are the ones that recognize him to be the high end goalie that he is. That's TOR, with Nonis at the helm, for sure. So while you may hope Luongo goes elsewhere (and many VAN fans do as well) it will come down to the GMs that have had a _known_ interest in him... Nonis is clearly after Luongo here.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:20 AM
  #385
Vorkosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Id prefer it if Luongo went elsewhere. He couldn't take a stacked Vancouver team over the top in his prime, so whats he gonna do when he is past his prime?
He came pretty damn close. 2 shutouts in the finals. Game 7. I'm sorry, I was unaware that goalies needed to score goals as well as prevent them from going in.

My bad, you're right, what a worthless goalie Luongo is

Vorkosh is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:49 AM
  #386
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 11,861
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Id prefer it if Luongo went elsewhere. He couldn't take a stacked Vancouver team over the top in his prime, so whats he gonna do when he is past his prime?
Guess you wouldn't take a prime Sundin on your team again because he couldn't win the Leafs jack.

Wilch is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:00 AM
  #387
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 70,713
vCash: 533
one thing i would find deeply amusing is if say vancouver and Edmonton got together for the a trade and say it was Hall, Nuge or Eberle for Luongo--what this place would look like. I figure there would be a war between several board at one time and the powers that be would just kill the entire site to clean up the mess

__________________
**Avatar approved by the powers that be***
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:05 AM
  #388
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,481
vCash: 500
2:50-3:41


RECsGuy* is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 07:08 AM
  #389
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
JuniorNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 6,980
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Id prefer it if Luongo went elsewhere. He couldn't take a stacked Vancouver team over the top in his prime, so whats he gonna do when he is past his prime?
When was Vancouver stacked? I don't think Gillis knows how to stack a team for a run! The Canucks have literally run out of defencemen before in the playoffs.

In the last four years Luongo has been a major factor in the Canuck's success, limited as that may be. The Sedins are too slow to back check, always have been. Think about what that means to a goaltender, the top line, eating up mega minutes, doesn't backcheck! It's Luongo that allows the team this luxery. The team goes utterly off the rails trying too hard if Luongo is off his game even a little bit. He is key.

Moving forward, Gillis wants a guy back that has some impact, just like Luongo would on any roster.

I cannot believe the number of Toronto posts that seem to be protesting a move that would carry their team into the playoffs. That's fine, let Luongo go elsewhere. How many elite goalies sign in Canada nowadays? I'm sure another will come along.

JuniorNelson is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 07:38 AM
  #390
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
If Leaf fans truly believe that Luongo won't fetch much. If they see the trade market is nothing more than something horrible, like Bozak, Franson and a second, do you really think that Gillis is going to trade Luongo there? He would be on the early game every week on HNIC.

If the market is that bad, Gillis would go elsewhere just to avoid the negative publicity.

I have a hard to believing Luongo goes to Toronto period, unless it is overpayment. There would be years of media and fans scrutinizing the trade.

I still think Florida is likely or another Eastern team moves a goalie out to accommodate a trade.
It's not just Leaf fans who feel the price is to high.....obviously,management feels the same. As does every other GM. My proof....if the market was as vast as you think, someone would have made a good offer. I agree if Gillis wants top dollar he won't trade Luongo.....not by choice though.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 07:46 AM
  #391
asian mailman
Registered User
 
asian mailman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Out of those 22 players, how many will be in Toronto in 3-5 years...maybe 6 or 7. At least a third of the draft picks will never play in the NHL. Some of the UFA players will leave. Some players will also be traded. Burke and Nonis don't exactly have a reputation of being good at drafting and developing players. Out of all those players listed, you have very poor future option at center and a weak goaltending pool.

yeah burkes drafting sucks just see sedins for info. kesler was also a bust

asian mailman is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 07:51 AM
  #392
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian mailman View Post
yeah burkes drafting sucks just see sedins for info.
Generally it does. Doesnt help his truculent nature tends to off put the ones he does see RJ Umberger.

Lonny Bohonos is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:22 AM
  #393
The Overseer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
It's not just Leaf fans who feel the price is to high.....obviously,management feels the same. As does every other GM. My proof....if the market was as vast as you think, someone would have made a good offer. I agree if Gillis wants top dollar he won't trade Luongo.....not by choice though.
It has been ONE day since the lockout ended. The fact that Luongo was not traded yesterday is not indicative of anything.

Next you'll say, "Gillis had all summer to trade him and didn't. Obviously, nobody wants him!" There is no doubt that GMs would want to see what the financial landscape was going to be before making a trade for a guy like Luongo. Why would they make offers before the lockout was dealt with?

You have no proof for your terrible argument.

The Overseer* is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:34 AM
  #394
momo
Registered User
 
momo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian mailman View Post
yeah burkes drafting sucks just see sedins for info. kesler was also a bust
Yes lets use the draft where Burke had 2nd and 3rd overall (hard to miss there)

Lets also use arguably the deepest draft in history - 2003 NHL Entry Draft (hard to miss there too)

momo is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:58 AM
  #395
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
It has been ONE day since the lockout ended. The fact that Luongo was not traded yesterday is not indicative of anything.

Next you'll say, "Gillis had all summer to trade him and didn't. Obviously, nobody wants him!" There is no doubt that GMs would want to see what the financial landscape was going to be before making a trade for a guy like Luongo. Why would they make offers before the lockout was dealt with?

You have no proof for your terrible argument.
My "argument" is using "facts" continually put forth by Canuck fans. If there are multiple teams inyerested, one would think 1 of the GM's would make a move quick to ensure they don't miss out....none have.

In a 48 game season, it would be beneficial for a GM to get Luongo in as quick as possible as there isn't a buffer period to see what you have....none have.

Media rumours have gone from team "X" is interested to team "X" is no longer interested.

This is in no way knocking Luongo, Gillis or the Canucks. I just feel Gillis misjudged the market place when he set his original price. He has essentially handcuffed himself and really CAN'T come down to what the market is really willing to pay without looking a little embarrassed.


Last edited by Liferleafer: 01-14-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Liferleafer is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 09:10 AM
  #396
tiny103
Registered User
 
tiny103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo View Post
Yes lets use the draft where Burke had 2nd and 3rd overall (hard to miss there)

Lets also use arguably the deepest draft in history - 2003 NHL Entry Draft (hard to miss there too)
Not so easy to get both....

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/1...ed-the-sedins/

tiny103 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 09:22 AM
  #397
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
My "argument" is using "facts" continually put forth by Canuck fans. If there are multiple teams inyerested, one would think 1 of the GM's would make a move quick to ensure they don't miss out....none have.

In a 48 game season, it would be beneficial for a GM to get Luongo in as quick as possible as there isn't a buffer period to see what you have....none have.

Media rumours have gone from team "X" is interested to team "X" is no longer interested.

This is in no way knocking Luongo, Gillis or the Canucks. I just feel Gillis misjudged the market place when he set his original price. He has essentially handcuffed himself and really CAN'T come down to what the market is really willing to pay without looking a little embarrassed.
Its quite possible to be interested and to not buy. Just because someone hasnt made a "quick move" does not indicate there is no interest or only one interest.

Obviously price plays a factor.

As for Gillis being handcuffed. Not really. And why would be embarrassed if he lowers the price. Its not like hes known to have a big ego and only those asking know what the price is.

Lonny Bohonos is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 09:25 AM
  #398
The Overseer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
My "argument" is using "facts" continually put forth by Canuck fans. If there are multiple teams inyerested, one would think 1 of the GM's would make a move quick to ensure they don't miss out....none have.

In a 48 game season, it would be beneficial for a GM to get Luongo in as quick as possible as there isn't a buffer period to see what you have....none have.

Media rumours have gone from team "X" is interested to team "X" is no longer interested.

This is in no way knocking Luongo, Gillis or the Canucks. I just feel Gillis misjudged the market place when he set his original price. He has essentially handcuffed himself and really CAN'T come down to what the market is really willing to pay without looking a little embarrassed.
So your "proof" that Gillis misjudged the market is that Luongo wasn't traded in the first 24 hours????

Wow, you really nailed that one. Have you considered law as a profession?

The Overseer* is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 09:32 AM
  #399
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
So your "proof" that Gillis misjudged the market is that Luongo wasn't traded in the first 24 hours????

Wow, you really nailed that one. Have you considered law as a profession?
He's been on the market since the Spring...

416Leafer is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 09:33 AM
  #400
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
So your "proof" that Gillis misjudged the market is that Luongo wasn't traded in the first 24 hours????

Wow, you really nailed that one. Have you considered law as a profession?
So answer this, if there are multiple teams interested, a shortened camp/season...do you feel it is prudent for an interested GM to wait? Or is it more believable that the cost is to high for the market to bear or the interest just isn't there?

Liferleafer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.