HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 11:30 PM
luongo321

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
FLA garbage > TO garbage.
This and it's also the place where Luongo wants to be. If we're going to get some weak pieces, might as well let Lu go to a place where his family is staying. Lu has handled this situation like a champ. Can you imagine if he said he refused to be traded? Nope, he accepts the fact that it is time to move on and even he knows that Schneider is an outstanding goaltender. No point in sending him to TO for scraps, having him live in a place he doesn't want to live and having to deal with a media circus/fans that would rip him even more than Canucks fans. A god one day and a demon the next.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:30 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
Well I was listening to Mcowan when he actually said that on the radio and Cox was sitting beside him. John Shannon then joined in and said he's never heard Gardiner's name being included in any deal. So although it was said by someone, it's hardly the persistent rumour, at least in the GTA.
I don't put any stock in anything said on Sportsnet. I like it for the regional 10pm news, and for any games they might have on, but their analysts are all pure trash. TSN is worlds better.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:31 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
This and it's also the place where Luongo wants to be. If we're going to get some weak pieces, might as well let Lu go to a place where his family is staying. Lu has handled this situation like a champ. Can you imagine if he said he refused to be traded? Nope, he accepts the fact that it is time to move on and even he knows that Schneider is an outstanding goaltender. No point in sending him to TO for scraps, having him live in a place he doesn't want to live and having to deal with a media circus/fans that would rip him even more than Canucks fans. A god one day and a demon the next.
Precisely.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Well I was listening to Mcowan when he actually said that on the radio and Cox was sitting beside him. John Shannon then joined in and said he's never heard Gardiner's name being included in any deal. So although it was said by someone, it's hardly the persistent rumour, at least in the GTA.

Referring to different events. McCowan was on the air with Lawton, discussing the deal with Martine Guyer. That's where he said it.

Old
Lawzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
To Philly- Kulikov
To Van Coutierier
To FLorida- Luongo
Oh boy this will not end well.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
When they make a combined $9.5m in the face of a decreasing cap, while the backup makes $5.3m with a 11 year dea? yes, that's mismanaging the situation if he's forced to buy Luongo out or retain salary because he was too stubborn to accept a risk-free deal with a couple of valuable assets.

A consistent winner isn't Gillis job -- it's winning a cup, and without doing so, he will eventually be fired.
If nobody takes Luongo's contract next summer even for nothing forcing Gillis to buy Luongo out, I can't see how he doesn't get fired.

That's a big management issue.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:32 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
What GM talks about wanting to upgrade their goaltending position while still touting Reimer as a solution? You would think that if he had full faith in Reimer, that he wouldn't be looking for an upgrade correct? So we go from being unsure on Reimer, still, and then Scrivens is going to come out of nowhere to stabilize the position?

You said that your supposition was just as valid. You're reaching more here I think.
I don't think he has full faith in Reimer. He realizes, there's a chance that Reimer's good enough, and there's a chance he isn't. Maybe it's 50/50, maybe it's 60/40, maybe it's 40/60.... we'll have to see how it plays out. However, realizing that Reimer isn't anywhere near the guarantee of performance that many teams have in net, he's best served to have a plan B thats better than Scrivens.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:33 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
Oh boy this will not end well.
Yeah, the Couterier and Schenn proposals need to stop. Philly would not give them up for Weber............they are not going to give them up for Luongo.

Old
Crows*

Quote:
Also in terms of pr and reaching out to the fan base after an idiotic lockout, trading for luongo would put fans in the stands in Florida. He's still a fan favorite.

Old
Roboholic

Quote:
Referring to different events. McCowan was on the air with Lawton, discussing the deal with Martine Guyer. That's where he said it.
Ah, I heard it the day Burke was fired, on his radio show.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:34 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Yeah, the Couterier and Schenn proposals need to stop. Philly would not give them up for Weber............they are not going to give them up for Luongo.
not even Luongo. they'd be getting Dmitri Kulikov in that proposal.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
When they make a combined $9.5m in the face of a decreasing cap, while the backup makes $5.3m with a 11 year dea? yes, that's mismanaging the situation if he's forced to buy Luongo out or retain salary because he was too stubborn to accept a risk-free deal with a couple of valuable assets.

A consistent winner isn't Gillis job -- it's winning a cup, and without doing so, he will eventually be fired.

Wow... somebody's perception of reality is delayed a year... I didn't think it was possible for narcotics to affect somebody that much.
Pretty much everyone eventually gets fired. Gillis has as safe a job as almost any GM. Burke just got fired for missing the playoffs for four years and Nonis was the assistant GM. I can't imagine that MLSE will give him too long to show results. While your concern for Gillis' job is admiral, Nonis knows full well that he has a better chance of remaining as GM if he gets a competent goalie. Sticking with the same duo that failed last year is a sure fire recipe for collecting EI.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
McCowan doesn't report stories. He barely even watches sports. I'd take what he says with a massive grain of salt.

I realize, and I do. But McCowan stacked against the opinion of poster seanlinden... not even close IMO, it's McCowan.

I'm going off what is being said out there. That's where I'm pulling my "rumours". There's no fabrication. You can question the source, obviously, but not that it was said/reported.

Old
luongo321

Quote:
If nobody takes Luongo's contract next summer even for nothing forcing Gillis to buy Luongo out, I can't see how he doesn't get fired.

Gillis won't make that mistake.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I don't think he has full faith in Reimer. He realizes, there's a chance that Reimer's good enough, and there's a chance he isn't. Maybe it's 50/50, maybe it's 60/40, maybe it's 40/60.... we'll have to see how it plays out. However, realizing that Reimer isn't anywhere near the guarantee of performance that many teams have in net, he's best served to have a plan B thats better than Scrivens.

Or a plan A.

Quote:
Ah, I heard it the day Burke was fired.

Yes, it was on the same day, but it preceded the McCowan/Cox/Shannon roundtable (when they talked to Anselmi). It was before that interview took place.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong about Toronto. He'd be labelled a god in the city after winning his first game and everyone would claim he's the best goalie to have graced the game of Hockey.

This is the problem with Toronto fans, not the negativity. That's a Vancouver/Montreal thing.

Reimer won 20ish games as a rookie and the entire city is awash with Jerseys and the crowd goes nuts every time he sets foot on the ice. Reimer.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
I realize, and I do. But McCowan stacked against the opinion of poster seanlinden... not even close IMO, it's McCowan.

I'm going off what is being said out there. That's where I'm pulling my "rumours". There's no fabrication. You can question the source, obviously, but not that it was said/reported.
John Shannon > McCowan, and its not even close.

Bob McKenzie saying Gardiner is a non-starter >>>> John Shannon >>> McCowan

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Pretty much everyone eventually gets fired. Gillis has as safe a job as almost any GM. Burke just got fired for missing the playoffs for four years and Nonis was the assistant GM. I can't imagine that MLSE will give him too long to show results. While your concern for Gillis' job is admiral, Nonis knows full well that he has a better chance of remaining as GM if he gets a competent goalie. Sticking with the same duo that failed last year is a sure fire recipe for collecting EI.
Yes he does, and mismanaging high profile moves is what erodes that job security.

Nonis has job security that goes along with a new job... he's not going anywhere for at least a couple of years, so has the freedom to build a long term winner. You might have a stronger case with Burke, who needed to win this year to have any hope of retaining his job.

Old
SoTzuMe

Quote:

Obviously, Schneider was signed under the assumption that they would shed Luongo's salary. Again, what's the rush? They're not yet facing the prospect of losing key players due to cap pressure. When the time comes, that decision might have to be made. Trading for Bozak + Kadri now is not even close to risk-free. All it takes is for those players to fail to pan out and Schneider to get injured for that deal to be a disaster.

That's a very naive way at looking at a GM's job. There's so much luck involved that you can't possibly that you can't use Stanley Cups as a measuring stick for the success of a GM. Look at how long guys like Sather, Regier, Snow, Holmgren, McPhee, Maloney, and Wilson have been at their jobs. Look to see what patience with Dean Lombardi yielded.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:38 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
The Gardiner + Kadri was reported on SNET by McCowan. He cited it as a reason for Burke being fired (that he would not accept it).

Cox put that initial draft rumour out. Ask LiferLeafer - he's well aware of the discussion about this.
Except that it's been made clear by numerous insiders with more clout than Bob friggin' McCowan and the parties involved it was an issue with the man, Brian Burke, not about some fabled deal in place for Luongo. McCowan is full of it. He's got no idea what's going on.

If that was why Burke was fired, why has the deal not gone down now that he's been gone a few days?

Old
vanwest

Quote:

It's also a ridiculous statement to assume that no team would take Luongo next summer. Gillis knows that. Hence the reason he is being patient. You're setting out scenarios that have no basis in reality just to try to strengthen your position. It's like me arguing that if Luongo wins the cup and is a Conn Smythe winner then his value rockets.

Old
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

It's pretty clear that Gillis has set a price he's not willing to go below this season. If Toronto won't pay it, they'll have to go with what they have for now.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:41 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Yes he does, and mismanaging high profile moves is what erodes that job security.

Nonis has job security that goes along with a new job... he's not going anywhere for at least a couple of years, so has the freedom to build a long term winner. You might have a stronger case with Burke, who needed to win this year to have any hope of retaining his job.
According to most Leaf fans he already was the acting GM. Given his poor record to date, Nonis is on much thinner ice than Gillis. If Gillis was ever fired teams would be lining up to hire him. Nonis had to wait a long time to get another GM job after being canned in Vancouver. This may well be Nonis' last chance. Gillis will do what he thinks is best and won't worry about job security.

Old
luongo321

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong about Toronto. He'd be labelled a god in the city after winning his first game and everyone would claim he's the best goalie to have graced the game of Hockey.

This is the problem with Toronto fans, not the negativity. That's a Vancouver/Montreal thing.

Reimer won 20ish games as a rookie and the entire city is awash with Jerseys and the crowd goes nuts every time he sets foot on the ice. Reimer.
Reimer is a young guy that played alright. That will fade out fast if he falters consistently in the future. The expectations for Reimer are much different than the expectations for Lu. No negativity in TO is a dream you must be living in.

Luongo will take you on a rollercoaster ride. It's how he operates. A god one game and then all hell breaks loose in another. It will be exciting in both a good and a bad way. He will almost give you a heart attack some times, but it's really exciting hockey. There will be a huge group of fans that will always support him, but there will be another group that will rip into him as soon as he lets in a few suspect goals. He's still worth it though. I can't imagine how boring our series' with Chicago would be if Luongo wasn't in net. That game 7 win wouldn't be nearly as satisfying if Lu and the boys hadn't went through all of those crazy series' beforehand.

Old
CJV123

Why would Florida trade for Luongo? They have Markstrom waiting in the wings. Or is this just another Vancouver fantasy?

Closed Thread