HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 09:26 PM
rune74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz McNulty View Post
But that's all that seems to be offered for him on these boards. The Leafs and Canucks will not be able to trade because they just don't make good trading partners.

I believe that Gillis will hold onto him until a team with a bit better prospect pool runs into goaltending problems.
Hahaha good thing no NHL trades are done on these boards hahaha.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:28 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
While the Luongo offers from Leaf fans on here are bad... it's NOTHING compared to some of the craziness out there.

Have seen people say Komisarek + Lombardi and a 2nd is too much... o_O

At that point just keep Luongo.

30 + win goalies that average .920 save% spanning years are not that easy to get a hold of, bad contract or no.

Turn and flip him to Florida for a couple of their lower ranked prospects... maybe a Shore or d prospect + Matthias.
i doubt anyone has said this

Old
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
so your telling me kessel's value dropped last year because we never made the playoffs? Rick Nash's value dropped because he was on the last place team?? DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE TO YOU
Rick Nash is 28. Snipers and power forwards burn out younger than most. If you are going to apply age as a factor for diminishing return, Rick Nash fits the bill.

Elite goaltenders on the other hand have a history of playing well into their late 30's. Luongo is already top five all time in save percentage, top 20 in shutouts and in wins. To expect him to suddenly become decrepit is not a reasonable assumption.

Old
Richter35

honestly this is reminding me of the Nash to Rangers talk, everyone thought CLB would get the moon. They got some nice pieces but nothing out of this world. VAN fans will be underwhelmed when the deal is made, I'd venture to say that TOR keeps both Gardiner/Kadri in a deal, and will be sending non-1st round picks and not A-level stuff the other way. The real asset here to VAN is the cap space gained going forward.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:29 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Rick Nash is 28. Snipers and power forwards burn out younger than most. If you are going to apply age as a factor for diminishing return, Rick Nash fits the bill.

Elite goaltenders on the other hand have a history of playing well into their late 30's. Luongo is already top five all time in save percentage, top 20 in shutouts and in wins. To expect him to suddenly become decrepit is not a reasonable assumption.
Lou is signed for 10 years... not 3

Old
01-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...
Clearly guilty of doing just that, as he just called me out, but thank you for confirming it's not me.

And here I thought the middle ground I found with the odd Leaf fan covered me, ah well.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
GardinerExpressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...
Please go back through my post history and quote where I was even half as rude to anyone as this person has been throughout the entire thread. I am in no glass house my friend.

If you're comment seeks to lump me in with "all leaf fans", it's pretty silly, as in my own comment I acknowledged the bias/vitriol on both sides (of which I haven't been a part).

Please think before you post, or refrain from quoting me. Thank you in advance.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:34 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
And wouldn't Leafs fans know what a good goalie can do for a team after their years with Joseph and belfour?

Unbelievable, then again it's been a decade so maybe they have forgotten.
Good lord, talk about selective memory.

Those Leaf teams were stacked up front. We had lots of depth and we had one of the best centres in the game in Sundin, and a decent D-core as well.

Do not even compare those teams to the one we have now. We have nobody to play centre.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Good lord, talk about selective memory.

Those Leaf teams were stacked up front. We had lots of depth and we had one of the best centres in the game in Sundin, and a decent D-core as well.

Do not even compare those teams to the one we have now. We have nobody to play centre.
Not the best selling point if leaf fans insist that Bozac is the best we can get a deal based around for Luongo

Old
01-13-2013, 09:37 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
You obviously didn't watch the Canucks much last season. Team was brutal for a 3 month span where Luongo and Schneider were both brilliant...

EDIT: Note: Jan 1st - Apr 1st

Schneider: 11-2-1, 1.86 GAA
Luongo: 14-6-6, 2.38 GAA
Please, I was talking about him carrying the Leafs. Not going to happen. Look at your top six from last year and look at ours. Enough said.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
honestly this is reminding me of the Nash to Rangers talk, everyone thought CLB would get the moon. They got some nice pieces but nothing out of this world. VAN fans will be underwhelmed when the deal is made, I'd venture to say that TOR keeps both Gardiner/Kadri in a deal, and will be sending non-1st round picks and not A-level stuff the other way. The real asset here to VAN is the cap space gained going forward.
I don't think Columbus made out that badly, and honestly, that kind of return would be fine with me. The Leafs can't afford to give that kind of return up, or rather many of their fans wouldn't want to.

Dubinksy, Anisimov, Erixon and a 1st.

The closest I have seen to this is Bozak, Lombardi/Connolly, Kadri and a 2nd from Leafs fans in past threads, which is no where near the value, in relative or absolute terms. Rather then continue my "provocateur" stance I have just been accused of, I will offer a constructive challenge, which has been brought up before:

Leafs fans, or whomever else is still posting, match that offer as closely as you can. It's not the moon, but it has value for a star player.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:38 PM
GardinerExpressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Clearly guilty of doing just that, as he just called me out, but thank you for confirming it's not me.

And here I thought the middle ground I found with the odd Leaf fan covered me, ah well.
It has nothing to do with common ground. It's that you bully and snark at any and everyone you can up and down the thread. Your points (some of which are well made) are lost in how rude you're being to everyone all the time. It is only epically more frustrating that you missed my point entirely and insist on playing the victim to my post. Passive agressivity at its worst.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:39 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
Not the best selling point if leaf fans insist that Bozac is the best we can get a deal based around for Luongo
I don't give a ****. I don't want Luongo for the prices that are being asked. That's all I have to say. Plus I'm not one of the people in here making proposals either.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
Lou is signed for 10 years... not 3
Not really a factor to me as I see his contract as a benefit. There is a reason the NHL has eliminated these contracts. It's because they are favorable to teams for the cap. $5.3 million is 9th in the league for goalies. That will improve each year as goalies get raises. It has been discussed ad nauseum what happens with that contract if he retires early, but to reiterate, the cap penalty effects both teams, with the both team incurring a $2 million cap hit for 3 years. That is hardly a hinderence when the cap itself will likely be beyond $80 million at that time. For a team still paying Tucker and Armstrong $1 million a year right now with a Lowe cap, it's ridiculous to insinuate that Luongo's contract is this horrible albatross it is made out to be.

Nothing I say will change your opinion or that of your fan base, as it is too easy to point at this as some kind if leverage. Simply put, it isn't.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:40 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
The cap space means zero to the Canucks right now.

EDIT:

Also Nucks fans not asking for even half of what the Jackets got for Nash in any Luongo deal.

- Good prospect and an okay player
or
- Good player (2nd liner) and a pick/prospect

And we're fine.

Also a question: When was the last time a team bought a cup through free-agency by having a lot of cap space?

Old
01-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
I don't give a ****. I don't want Luongo for the prices that are being asked. That's all I have to say. Plus I'm not one of the people in here making proposals either.
Luckily you literally have no say.

Like none. You do get that right?

Why are you here if you're not making proposals? Last I checked this was exactly what this board was for

Old
01-13-2013, 09:42 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Not really a factor to me as I see his contract as a benefit. There is a reason the NHL has eliminated these contracts. It's because they are favorable to teams for the cap. $5.3 million is 9th in the league for goalies. That will improve each year as goalies get raises. It has been discussed as nauseum what happens with that contract if he retires early, but to reiterate, the cap penalty effects both teams, with the both team incurring a $2 million cap hit for 3 years. That is hardly a hinderence when the cap itself will likely be beyond $80 million at that time. For a team still paying Tucker and Armstrong $1 million a year right now with a Lowe cap, it's ridiculous to insinuate that Luongo's contract is this horrible albatross it is made out to be.

Nothing I say will change your opinion or that of your fan base, as it is too easy to point at this as some kind if leverage. Simply put, it isn't.
which is why gillis is getting what he is asking for..... yea

Old
01-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
While the Luongo offers from Leaf fans on here are bad... it's NOTHING compared to some of the craziness out there.

Have seen people say Komisarek + Lombardi and a 2nd is too much... o_O

At that point just keep Luongo.

30 + win goalies that average .920 save% spanning years are not that easy to get a hold of, bad contract or no.

Turn and flip him to Florida for a couple of their lower ranked prospects... maybe a Shore or d prospect + Matthias.
Honestly its the internet, I wouldn't take it to seriously.

You're arguing with a 13 yr old for all you know. All teams have dumb fans that make dumb offers.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:43 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:

Why are you here if you're not making proposals? Last I checked this was exactly what this board was for
Luckily you literally have no say either.

Because I want to read this thread? You can't stop me from reading anything.

I'm just tired of Canucks fans thinking Luongo is going to save this franchise. If we give up what Canuck fans want, it's only going to set us back again.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned

vCash: 1815
Quote:
That's funny, I haven't seen any Nashville, NYR, LA, etc fans coming here just to say they don't want Luongo.

As with any other trade proposal thread, if teams feel our asking price is greater than their need, then they can just ignore the thread. Coming here saying you don't want him is not conducive to any attempt to discuss what kind of needs the Canucks might try to fill with a Luongo trade.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:45 PM
bcjonny

GMMG will be run out of town if all he has to show for Luongo is Tyler Bozak.

The Eastern time zone is three hours ahead which means in the West we sit down to the first hockey night in Canada game at 4 pm and the second starts at 7 pm. In the East it is 7 pm and 11 pm starts so to the mass audience the Toronto Maple Leafs are always playing on Saturday night in prime time for all to see.

Just because of that visibility I say there is no chance Gillis hands Luongo over to Nonis for anything less than full value.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:45 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Please, I was talking about him carrying the Leafs. Not going to happen. Look at your top six from last year and look at ours. Enough said.
Top 6 what? D-men?

I know the Leafs system was just as bad as the Canucks for allowing odd man chances but really if you watch the games the Canucks play pretty damn wide open and the D pinch like crazy.

Luongo would definitely have won the Leafs 10-12 more games last season.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Roboholic

Quote:

He literally said "I don't" not the "Leafs don't". I'm pretty sure he gets that based on words he used.

Old
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
That's funny, I haven't seen any Nashville, NYR, LA, etc fans coming here just to say they don't want Luongo.

As with any other trade proposal thread, if teams feel our asking price is greater than their need, then they can just ignore the thread.
Again, I'm going to keep reading this thread. I just want to see if there's such thing as a reasonable offer from both sides, but there isn't. Is there any deal that would legitimately make both sides happy?

Old
Vorkosh

Quote:
Luckily you literally have no say either.

Because I want to read this thread? You can't stop me from reading anything.

I'm just tired of Canucks fans thinking Luongo is going to save this franchise. If we give up what Canuck fans want, it's only going to set us back again.
Good job, you used my words against me? You are so witty, may I subscribe to your newsletter?

Who's stopping you from reading? you said you were done with this thread, so why continue to post?

Canuck fans want fair market value for an ELITE goaltender. Yes, he is elite. You are going to pay for him if you want him, if you don't, as you have made clear, it's fine. Don't, enjoy losing I mean the leafs are the only team to not make the playoffs since the previous lock out. You'd think the fans might want to do whatever it took to at least enjoy hockey in April. But then again, maybe after losing for so long, combined with the raptors and blue jays, Toronto fans are just used to losing.

Closed Thread