HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Condition

Old
04-18-2013, 01:33 AM
ogoaltrop

vCash: 500
Condition

One of the biggest problems I notice with this team is overall conditioning. They are continually getting beat to pucks and seem to tire easily. I think T P should really look into a new strength and conditioning coach. Heck even get a Jack Lallane juicer for the dressing room !!! But really all joking aside, I think its a big issue with this team.

Remember what Herb Brooks said about the 1980 USA Team....... "We may not be the most talented team in the tournament but I guarantee we will be be the best conditioned team".

ogoaltrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:42 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I have wondered for years not so much about our conditioning but our medical staff. Not necessarily relevant to your point, but it might be related to some degree...

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Get Pegula to throw a ton of money at Gary Roberts to come here as the strength and conditioning coach.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:48 PM
WNY to NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Get Pegula to throw a ton of money at Gary Roberts to come here as the strength and conditioning coach.
1000000% agree here. I mean the Yankees signed some B.S. agreement with Dr Andrews for exclusivity . Not sure we need to go that far, but Roberts clearly gets results, and I think conditioning is one of the key issues (among many others) for the sabres

WNY to NoVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It could also be because they are no longer a team populated with quick players. This group plods around the ice.

04-18-2013, 01:00 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Whoever's overseen Myers' offseason workouts has put a premium on muscle over speed to ruinous results. It's definitely a problem.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:28 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
If money could buy him it would have by now, his made it clear it's not money, he just doesn't want to be bound to a team.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
If money could buy him it would have by now, his made it clear it's not money, he just doesn't want to be bound to a team.
Based on what?

Old
04-18-2013, 04:41 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Or, if, ya know, he really was more qualified than other people.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:22 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It could also be because they are no longer a team populated with quick players. This group plods around the ice.
This is exactly the problem. They're not a very fast group. They were even slower before guys like Porter and Flynn came up.

Conditioning teamwide isn't the issue. Lack of speed is the problem.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:24 PM

Mike McKenna = Gary Roberts

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:02 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Based on what?
Around the time CoHo went to work with him he did a number of interviews.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
This is exactly the problem. They're not a very fast group. They were even slower before guys like Porter and Flynn came up.

Conditioning teamwide isn't the issue. Lack of speed is the problem.
I agree, but I also think it's a combination of both. Regier needs to work toward a more mobile team, true. But that won't matter if they aren't in shape.

I'd send a team out to Oregon to see what Chip Kelly did with the Ducks football team. They went nearly exclusively to a cross fit-style workout program conducive to playing football with a large volume of plays at tempo. I think that would carry over to hockey well.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Around the time CoHo went to work with him he did a number of interviews.
That means he's made it clear it's not about money and he doesn't want to be bound to a team? Not sure how you're coming to that conclusion.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I agree, but I also think it's a combination of both. Regier needs to work toward a more mobile team, true. But that won't matter if they aren't in shape.

I'd send a team out to Oregon to see what Chip Kelly did with the Ducks football team. They went nearly exclusively to a cross fit-style workout program conducive to playing football with a large volume of plays at tempo. I think that would carry over to hockey well.
Some consideration has to be given to how the lockout affected some of these guys -- they were not under team-managed programming for five months. Clearly some of them have issues in maintaining tip-top conditioning in those instances. Is that a fault of the current training staff or that of the players? Can they address it with more guidance this off-season? Possibly. It still takes the commitment from the individuals to improve.

And slow is still slow. They don't have much individual speed any longer and it shows. Plodding and well conditioned doesn't help them get to loose pucks any more than fast but gassed does.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Some consideration has to be given to how the lockout affected some of these guys -- they were not under team-managed programming for five months. Clearly some of them have issues in maintaining tip-top conditioning in those instances. Is that a fault of the current training staff or that of the players? Can they address it with more guidance this off-season? Possibly. It still takes the commitment from the individuals to improve.

And slow is still slow. They don't have much individual speed any longer and it shows. Plodding and well conditioned doesn't help them get to loose pucks any more than fast but gassed does.
Sort of agree. Sure, the team had no access to the players, and that's a good point.

On your second point, I do agree that team speed isn't great, which is why I think trading Ennis is a bad idea. But it's relative. Speed at the beginning of a shift may not be the same near the end. Speed in the first period may not be the same in the third. The Oregon Ducks weren't necessarily faster than, say, USC's defense. But USC was gassed by the pace of the game as it wore on.

So I think it has to be a combination.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote