Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 08:09 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Probably, since TSN just picked us for 14th in the East.
Not being a homer, but how do they see us getting that much worse

Old
01-17-2013, 08:10 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Probably, since TSN just picked us for 14th in the East.
Well you had to figure they would pick Toronto and Montreal ahead of us

Old
01-17-2013, 08:27 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
As I just mentioned although I would have preferred 15th.... 14th from TSN in these preseason shows should gaurentee us a playoff spot

Old
01-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Beazley
In Lozenge We Trust

vCash: 500
I'm also worried about the D. The Jets were brutal last year with any sustained pressure against in our zone.

For certain, injuries are key. We need to stay healthy and we need our big guys playing. Bogo is a stud. Tobi had an off year, he started to get things going but got hurt and the puck was bouncing on him after that. Buff has this year to rock my world. He's a game changer but I'm not convinced he's a net positive (despite any numbers presented which may not support my claim in this regard )

Old
01-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Beazley
In Lozenge We Trust

Quote:
From the outside looking in, you might say the emotion and environment of last year carried these players to a respectable record and a glimpse of the playoffs, and that this team is due for a letdown and a healthy dose of reality.

From the homer perspective it is absolute horse ****!

Old
01-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Huffer

Quote:
If I had to guess, I think our D is going to be little shaky, especially on the 2nd pair. Pavs is a little bit of a question mark, and we have a lot of players up front that need to take their next steps forward for the team to be successful.

Honestly, the team COULD finish 14th, but only be like 4-8 points out of 8th. After a full season last year the difference between 15th and 8th was 14 points. In a shorter season, our D depth may cost us those 4-8 points (2-4 wins).

It will probably be a tight race to the end, so hopefully if the Jets unfortunately don't make the playoffs (but are close in terms of points), people won't lose their minds and want to blow up the team.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:27 PM
a a ron
Tyler the franchise

The key to the game is to simply score more goals then they do.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Sportsnet is doing their season preview right now... Jets coming up.

They've picked most Canadian clubs low so far.

edit: Kane interview is a part of it.

01-17-2013, 10:37 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Sportsnet is doing their season preview right now... Jets coming up.

They've picked most Canadian clubs low so far.

edit: Kane interview is a part of it.
I am hoping we get lucky number 15!!

Old
01-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

I LOVED that Kane interview. Have a whole new level of respect for Evander Kane.

- Said he doesn't like to ********, won't say something he can't back up.

- Says Winnipeg has a great fan base, a bit of a fishbowl. Only takes a couple of idiots online to become 1500 people, so he's not worried about it.

- When someone asked him about his commitment to Winnipeg, he said his signature says it all (referencing his contract)

EDIT: Predicting 14th in the East, not one person saying they are in the playoffs.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:51 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
At this stage, with a young team, I don't mind if we finish poorly. It means a high draft pick, and I am a Chevy fan - I think he'll make a good pick if its a top 3 choice.

That said, I do feel like we're beng underestimated "just becsuse" and I hope we make a serious playoff push

Old
01-17-2013, 10:53 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I LOVED that Kane interview. Have a whole new level of respect for Evander Kane.

- Said he doesn't like to ********, won't say something he can't back up.

- Says Winnipeg has a great fan base, a bit of a fishbowl. Only takes a couple of idiots online to become 1500 people, so he's not worried about it.

- When someone asked him about his commitment to Winnipeg, he said his signature says it all (referencing his contract)

EDIT: Predicting 14th in the East, not one person saying they are in the playoffs.
Watched that as well.
That video of Kane should play on loop when you come to the Jets board.
Loved it. Love Kane. I'm happy.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:53 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

That was a cool spot.....I am getting the vibe "he wants" to be the best player out there and is willing to do what it takes.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Beazley
In Lozenge We Trust

"Signature says it all" sounded bogus.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

If we we're starting with Bogosian in the lineup they probably would have given us 11th or 10th. I think the logic outside of Winnipeg is that the rest of the teams in our division got a lot better and we only got a bit better. My thought is we trashed our SE sisters so bring on more games against them!!! Missing the playoffs will not bring about a blow up. We should be in the hunt with 16 - 10 days to go and even if the end result is 12th or something were an older Scheifele and Trouba away from better days.
Some thing I'd like to see us improve:
Record vs Canadian Teams.... uggghhh that alone killed us last year. forget the road nightmare this was abysmal.

Everyone said our 3rd line needed to be our 4th line... well it basically is... but can Slater contribute as much from that spot. People didn't just chant GST because it sounded good... the line generally over performed (based on expectations).

The good thing about being predicted to finish 14th is its easy to prove them wrong. Is it Saturday yet?

Old
01-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

The only thing I will say is that I will be absolutely stunned if we aren't in the playoff fight in the last week of the year.

Part of that optimism? Yes, of course. However, there is nothing worse than starting a season feeling no hope that you could ever make the postseason. Being an Oilers fan I know how that feels, it sucks.

I think there are enough good solid reasons why this team will be better this year to make us a playoff contender.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:26 AM
TCsmyth

Weird post, but here I go...my dad, who was a really good hockey player in his day, said to me that the "Thrashers were not very strong, I hope they start with a really physical/hard team to play against".

Him (65 yrs old), and I were really disappointed in that aspect of our team. I am in my 40's, and sorry to sound old school on you guys, but I cannot believe the reluctance to have a brutally tough team. I am stoked about the Peluso pick up. We are not an "elite" talented team, so along the way, we don't think it is wrong to make this one hell of a tough place to play. As a season ticket holder that did their game draft tonight, 8 guys said that they were pumped that we were bigger and tougher this year - period. Sorry if nobody else likes it, but our group does...

Old
01-18-2013, 03:03 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by amckay6 View Post
The key to the game is to simply score more goals then they do.
Whatever you say Mr. Madden! Or are you Yogi?

Old
01-18-2013, 03:04 AM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Watched a re-broadcast of the Sportsnet preview. The "strategy room" guys spent about half their allotted time for the Jets talking about their old teams. They basically only talked about Kane... it's like they did no research on the team and had nothing else to say. Plus at least two of them called Andre "PavaleCH". Yikes...

Old
01-18-2013, 06:29 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post
Watched a re-broadcast of the Sportsnet preview. The "strategy room" guys spent about half their allotted time for the Jets talking about their old teams. They basically only talked about Kane... it's like they did no research on the team and had nothing else to say. Plus at least two of them called Andre "PavaleCH". Yikes...
Until the Jets prove themselves on the ice we can't expect them to get much respect around the league. To most of the media and other fan bases we are still the old under achieving Atlanta Thrashers one year removed. A team that has a long history of failing won't be given it's due until it is earned. I'm fine with that because it will taste so much better when in final happens.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:46 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Until the Jets prove themselves on the ice we can't expect them to get much respect around the league. To most of the media and other fan bases we are still the old under achieving Atlanta Thrashers one year removed. A team that has a long history of failing won't be given it's due until it is earned. I'm fine with that because it will taste so much better when in final happens.
It also means that there's very little expectation, and perhaps a bit of underestimation.

That said, I doubt any team / player underestimates any team in the league - anyone can beat anyone on any day, depending on circumstances. TSN's rankings are a bit strange though - Toronto, who arguable has done less than the Jets to improve this year, is expected to finish ahead of the Jets, who have made moves to improve their line-up? Head-scratcher.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:02 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
TSN's rankings are a bit strange though - Toronto, who arguable has done less than the Jets to improve this year, is expected to finish ahead of the Jets, who have made moves to improve their line-up? Head-scratcher.
I'd say market bias but they still have the Laffs finishing waaay out of it.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:34 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
I'd say market bias but they still have the Laffs finishing waaay out of it.
Market bias doesn't make up for the Leafs. >_>

Old
01-18-2013, 07:48 AM
SiouxPride

I just hope to see our offence just come out swinging. Let's get the confidence going right off the bat for our forwards and have them score a few goals early in the season.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Dave512

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Agreed. I've only been watching hockey for ~5 years, and I chose the Thrashers as my team specifically because they were so bad. Not only did I not want to be a bandwagon fan, but I knew it would be that much more special if (when!) they finally start winning. Winnipeg and True North have been great for this team, and I'm very excited for the future.

Drop the puck!

Closed Thread