Notices

Are we the Bruins the most hated team/fanbase? It's good to be relevant alteast

Old
02-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

vCash: 500
Are we the Bruins the most hated team/fanbase? It's good to be relevant alteast

One can soundly argue that the Bruins are the most hated team and by association fanbase in the NHL. The 3 biggest fanbases in Canada and probably all of hockey hate the Bruins:

Toronto: trades, hate the Bruins because they didn't need Kessel to win the cup and dominate the Leafs and the division.

Montreal: innate, Maxpac incident though it seems to have blown over.

Vancouver: crushed their dream, say the Bruins are dirty, not truly that good won by being bullies, Canucks were injured.

-to round out Canada, the Sens don't seem to mind us and Calgary/Edmonton teams even developed a soft spot as they hate the Canucks and were happy the Bruins beat them. But still the biggest 3 hate the Bruins and their fanbase so the Bruins probably are the most hated these days, at least in Canada.

And as a Bruins fan I am not compaining. It's the nature of sports is people hate their rivals. I have always hated the Leafs for example. I think it is nice that the Bruins are so relevant. For years they were a non descript, irrelevant team that you could only get excited about if you were a Bruins fan. I have friends that are Canucks fans and they never remotely cared about the Bruins before the cup win and probably couldn't have named more than 5 of their players. Now they despise them but know quite a bit about the team. Not that long ago the Bruins were pretty irrelevant in their own city. If teams and fanbases hate them then they are doing something right and having some real success and it is nice.

Anyway, it kind of an obvious thread but was curious what other people thought about this.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:05 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

the most hated fan bases by the rest of the league are easily the three teams you mentioned so I'd say it's pretty even.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:25 AM
westernhome

the Bruins are hated as a team by many, and the fanbase maybe by proxy

but this is good, because the Bruins are hated for being great at what really matters

those other teams and fanbases can keep their weak soft teams and whiners

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:04 AM
Ratty

Boston sports fans in general have a reputation of being rude and arrogant when visiting other cities for events.

In another thread about Yandle and the Phoenix franchise the poster mentioned how unruly and unsportsmanlike the Bruins fans were at the Job ing Arena in the last two years.

Western and Midwesterners tend to be more civil and respectful as I observed from games in Denver, Chicago, San Diego while attending Bruins, Red Sox and Patriots games there. I guess it's a cultural thing, something we Easterners have to work on.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:09 AM
OverpaidGrinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Boston sports fans in general have a reputation of being rude and arrogant when visiting other cities for events.

In another thread about Yandle and the Phoenix franchise the poster mentioned how unruly and unsportsmanlike the Bruins fans were at the Job ing Arena in the last two years.

Western and Midwesterners tend to be more civil and respectful as I observed from games in Denver, Chicago, San Diego while attending Bruins, Red Sox and Patriots games there. I guess it's a cultural thing, something we Easterners have to work on.
With all do respect I don't think it's an "Easterner" thing more like a Boston/NYC/Jersey/Philly thing.

Last edited by OverpaidGrinder: 02-06-2013 at 05:10 AM. Reason: deleted DC as have never been to a DC sporting event
OverpaidGrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:19 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

I can say experience that in Vancouver we are the most hated. Canuck fans LOATHE the Bruins....and I love every ****ing minute of it.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:25 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Vancouver: crushed their dream, say the Bruins are dirty, not truly that good won by being bullies, Canucks were injured.
You should probably add that we had the refs in our pocket because Gregory Campbell plays on the team.

I also think the fact that for a while Boston sports teams in general seemed to be dominating and people were sick of Boston teams winning.

On and I am pretty sure the fan bases for Vancouver are pretty well hated, but I don't think this necessarily bleeds into hatred for the team.

I think Boston's team is hated and it bleeds into the fanbase.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:08 AM
Soderberg

It's easily the Bruins and I love it.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:52 AM
TD74

The Bruins are loved by a few, hated by many......and feared by ALL!!! We make no excuse for we are and accept any consequence as such!!!

TD74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:55 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
One can soundly argue that the Bruins are the most hated team and by association fanbase in the NHL. The 3 biggest fanbases in Canada and probably all of hockey hate the Bruins:

Toronto: trades, hate the Bruins because they didn't need Kessel to win the cup and dominate the Leafs and the division.

Montreal: innate, Maxpac incident though it seems to have blown over.

-to round out Canada, the Sens don't seem to mind us and Calgary/Edmonton teams even developed a soft spot as they hate the Canucks and were happy the Bruins beat them. But still the biggest 3 hate the Bruins and their fanbase so the Bruins probably are the most hated these days, at least in Canada.

And as a Bruins fan I am not compaining. It's the nature of sports is people hate their rivals. I have always hated the Leafs for example. I think it is nice that the Bruins are so relevant. For years they were a non descript, irrelevant team that you could only get excited about if you were a Bruins fan. I have friends that are Canucks fans and they never remotely cared about the Bruins before the cup win and probably couldn't have named more than 5 of their players. Now they despise them but know quite a bit about the team. Not that long ago the Bruins were pretty irrelevant in their own city. If teams and fanbases hate them then they are doing something right and having some real success and it is nice.

Anyway, it kind of an obvious thread but was curious what other people thought about this.
I'll go on record as saying that the senators fans on here are pretty ****ing cool when it comes to the head to head games. I remember last year when mcquaid stuck his knee out (i forgot who he did it too) and it was on the main board as "dirty hit" 99% of the sens fans we're like "nope" the habs, some leafs fans, most of the nucks fans we're saying that it "classless". It was probabley one of the more funnier threads on this board i've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post

I say to friends from out of state.. the worst thing ever was boston teams winning championships. We're loud and rude on a normal day. Now give us some championships, we're insufferable

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:03 AM
TheBabysitter*

Nobody hates the Bruins or Chara for what happened to Pacioretty, but we do hate you for attacking Pyatt and Spacek on the end of that game, while Price showed mercy on Thomas. Oh and that Mclaren hit on Zednik with 1 minute to go and up by 3, will never be forgotten. At least we have a rivalry...I know I'm supposed to hate the Leafs, but I feel sorry for them.

TheBabysitter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBabysitter View Post
Nobody hates the Bruins or Chara for what happened to Pacioretty, but we do hate you for attacking Pyatt and Spacek on the end of that game, while Price showed mercy on Thomas. Oh and that Mclaren hit on Zednik with 1 minute to go and up by 3, will never be forgotten. At least we have a rivalry...I know I'm supposed to hate the Leafs, but I feel sorry for them.
Nobody, eh? Uh huh.

And I know some Habs fans think Price is Jesus, but that "show mercy" rant is getting pretty tiresome. Not to mention silly.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:37 AM
whatsbruin

When opposing teams play by play announcers, whom should be knowledgeable, believe David Krejci is a "tough guy" then of
course the entire B's team is a bunch of thugs and goons, thus
the hate.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:41 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

I want to be the most hated. No lie.
teams could be rooting for us during the regular season because we're that bad and people feel sorry for us.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I don't think the Bruins are universally hated like the Habs and Leafs. Which are more culturally hated than hated because of a style.

What makes teams hate the Bruins are their style of play. I don't remember any ill will between the Bruins and Canucks (heck, that regular season game was pretty boring) but once you got into a series with them, it was pure hate. I would add it is now the same with Buffalo, and had moments with Carolina and Tampa.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:44 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

It's the Habs by far.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Shaun
best poster alive

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
You should probably add that we had the refs in our pocket because Gregory Campbell plays on the team.

I also think the fact that for a while Boston sports teams in general seemed to be dominating and people were sick of Boston teams winning.

On and I am pretty sure the fan bases for Vancouver are pretty well hated, but I don't think this necessarily bleeds into hatred for the team.

I think Boston's team is hated and it bleeds into the fanbase.
The Campbell conspiracy theory had quite a few adherents through the Cup run. It was hilarious.

But for the most part by the time the final rolled around I have to note that most fans around HF were rooting for Boston. A significant number of course were because if Vancouver's antics, but many actually admired the Bruins.

If you haven't seen them, when you're bored sometime check out the archives at other boards for their playoff game threads. The best, IMHO, and funniest is New Jersey's, of all places.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Fire Sweeney

Being hated by fans who can appreciate the Habs, Canucks or Leafs is by no means a bad thing.

Fire Sweeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:58 AM
WBC8

Many Western conference fans love the Bruins... They love the way we play...Most in the East are haters...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:00 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Hate.

Its a delicious pie.

Usually served with a filling of Jealousy, with a nice browned crust made of admiration

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:00 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The Campbell conspiracy theory had quite a few adherents through the Cup run. It was hilarious.

But for the most part by the time the final rolled around I have to note that most fans around HF were rooting for Boston. A significant number of course were because if Vancouver's antics, but many actually admired the Bruins.

If you haven't seen them, when you're bored sometime check out the archives at other boards for their playoff game threads. The best, IMHO, and funniest is New Jersey's, of all places.
Many players from other teams tweeted congrats to the Bruins, a team that plays the right way, or something like that...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=927026

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Whiskey Sam
Puck Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Many Western conference fans love the Bruins... They love the way we play...Most in the East are haters...
This has been my experience. I don't know about Canada, but when I travel for work in the US, I always get positive comments when I'm wearing a B's hat. It's usually something to the effect of, "My favorite team is X, but the Bruins would probably be my 2nd team." They really like the style of hockey we play.

Whiskey Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Many players from other teams tweeted congrats to the Bruins, a team that plays the right way, or something like that...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=927026
The Canadian media pushing Vancouver as "Canada's team" and the majority of NHL players voicing support for the Bruins certainly made that an interesting final.

A lot of the game threads followed a pattern of early support for Vancouver, then after 2-3 games, a lot of "ugh, I can't root for them anymore."

Old
02-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Paddington

Fanbase:

I definitely don't think the Bruins have the most hated fanbase.

Leafs - First, the perception is that the rest of Canada hates Toronto. They're probably just jealous becuase it's the best city in Canada :-P I kid, I kid. I believe for the longest time the Leafs fans were probably the most hated because they feel that they are the centre of the universe. They believe every high-profiled free agent or coach wants to go there and every year is (was) their year. Living in TO, I know that attitude has died down a bit during this decade but I'm sure it'll start up again eventually.

Habs - Habs fans are like the snarky rich guy in every bad 80s movie. You know, they guy everybody hates. That's pretty much a summary of how I believe they are viewed.

Canucks - I think the riots gave them a really bad name. Aside from that, the arrogance they displayed going into the cup finals really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Flyers - I think we all know their reputation. Also think they are percieved in a worse light than Bruins fans.

Overall, I think any fanbase that believes it's god's gift to a sport is the most hated. That may stay constant througout the years (Habs) or fluctuate with success (Canucks).

Teams:

Aside from traditional rivals, I can see why casual fans may hate the Bruins. They have Chara - Nobody cheers for Goliath, and Marchand - agitator that's easy to hate. On top of that, teams may not like how the Bruins "bully" their way to wins. This is pure perception and, partially, media hype. True North American hockey fans should, in theory, love the Bruins. Ask any Canadian (I'm sure it's the same in the US) what makes a perfect hockey team and they will tell you that you need to have good goaltending, a solid defence, the ability to roll four lines, grit, team toughness, somebody who can throw down, and a nice mixture of size, skill, and speed. Umm....does that not sound like the Bruins? Like I said, I can probably see why the casual fan may dislike the Bruins. Knowledgable fans don't have to like the Bruins, I mean, you have to consider rivalries and the fact that many people cheer for the underdog but, they should at least respect what the Bruins bring and acknowledge the fact that they follow a perfect model on how to build a team.

Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote