HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How is your D looking?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Sled2300

vCash: 500
How is your D looking?

Just looking through some of the Eastern teams and noticed that there is a shortage of D-men on the Caps with NHL experience.

What would you offer up for Denis Gauthier?

Sutter would be looking for a Western Canadian born player who would be known for size and speed.

Yonkman - I know!
Fussey
Gordon
Would all fit the bill as far as prospects go, however they are also going to be good players once they get the chance.

I'd like to get your thoughts.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Gauthier is really only a hyped up #5 guy. We need players who can log serious minutes. Now if you're willing to part with Regehr (which you aren't) that's a different question...

Old
09-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Sled2300

It is true that Denis is not the best puck mover. However, there are more then a few players in the west that would be happy to see him move to an Eastern team. I was thinking he would be a good fit with the Caps as they are short on D and Denis would not be reilied upon to provide offense but mearly clear the net, draw penalties and provide the momentum changing BIG hits which is all what he does best.

As a Flames fan, I would really hate to see the guy go but it's been 7 years.....

We need to do something.

Old
09-22-2003, 12:30 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled2300
It is true that Denis is not the best puck mover. However, there are more then a few players in the west that would be happy to see him move to an Eastern team. I was thinking he would be a good fit with the Caps as they are short on D and Denis would not be reilied upon to provide offense but mearly clear the net, draw penalties and provide the momentum changing BIG hits which is all what he does best.

As a Flames fan, I would really hate to see the guy go but it's been 7 years.....

We need to do something.
I am not familiar with Denis or his contract. I looked at his numbers.
he plays almost 20:00 a game and is a plus player in Calgary. He can't be too bad. On the other side of that the Caps have Brendan Witt on the 2nd pair and Jason Doig on the 3rd pair that can provide the momentum changing BIG hits. What the Capitals really need are quality partners for those two guys and a steady defensive defenseman that is mobil enough to partner with a big ice player like Gonchar on the first pair.
McPhee has been very upfront about his plan for the defense this season. Berry, Boumedienne, Eminger, Kwiatkowski and Yonkman, all of whom skate well to very well will get a chance to take those 3 open slots. After 20 games, McPhee will evaluate the young guys and if necessary make a trade for one of the host of good defensemen that are playing out the end of a one year contract. IMO if the Caps are not buried by that time, McPhee will likely be able to find a vastly superior player in December than Denis and give up less in the process.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:54 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
I am not familiar with Denis or his contract. I looked at his numbers.
he plays almost 20:00 a game and is a plus player in Calgary. He can't be too bad. On the other side of that the Caps have Brendan Witt on the 2nd pair and Jason Doig on the 3rd pair that can provide the momentum changing BIG hits. What the Capitals really need are quality partners for those two guys and a steady defensive defenseman that is mobil enough to partner with a big ice player like Gonchar on the first pair.
McPhee has been very upfront about his plan for the defense this season. Berry, Boumedienne, Eminger, Kwiatkowski and Yonkman, all of whom skate well to very well will get a chance to take those 3 open slots. After 20 games, McPhee will evaluate the young guys and if necessary make a trade for one of the host of good defensemen that are playing out the end of a one year contract. IMO if the Caps are not buried by that time, McPhee will likely be able to find a vastly superior player in December than Denis and give up less in the process.
Gauthier will make $1.3 mil this season and he's signed through the end of this season.

Closed Thread