HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Visor Help

Old
04-24-2014, 02:56 PM
nosnhoj

vCash: 500
Visor Help

Just picked up a Bauer 7500 helmet and I'm trying to find a good visor. I'm hoping to spend ~$50 or less if possible. I found some really cheap "Ronin" visors on Amazon (Amazon Prime included), but I can't seem to find much information on these. Anyone have any experience with these? At any rate, I'm looking for an aviator cut. Does anyone have any preferences or suggestions? Thanks!

nosnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 03:24 PM
fryer98

I've heard good things about Tron (~$30) visors.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 05:00 PM
nosnhoj

I looked at those and they seemed decent (especially for the price), but I've read a lot of anecdotal evidence about how bad their customer service is, so I'm hesitant in buying anything from them at this point. Do you have any experience with them?

Old
04-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Rookie109

I was in the same boat with having to choose a visor, at first I purchased a $120 Bauer HDO Pro Clip visor in amber tint. I had to return it after the tint began to fade after half a season (I used anti-fog spray after each use outside). It was in the pro-wave cut and it was a great until the tint faded away, not worth it for $120 IMO.

I than switched to another visor and have been very happy with it's durability, coverage, and clarity ever since. Try the Avision Ahead Pro X visor - it's got anti-fog and anti-scratch on both sides of the visor where EVERY OTHER VISOR is only single coated once per side.
http://shop.hockeyfaceshields.com/Av...-Visors_c5.htm

There is even a cheaper model called the 20/20 visor, but I'd go with the Pro X model since it's just as good or better than as my previous Bauer HDO at a fraction of the cost.

The good thing with this visor is that it's mounted with screws so you can easily lower and raise it during a play if you keep it a little looser.

In terms of protection it is a straight cut, but on my Mission Inhaler helmet it actually covers just as much or more than my previous Bauer visor which was a wave cut. I think it comes a little lower when I adjust it, but it can sit higher if you push it up a bit to find your ideal spot.

I was skeptical at first, but I did feel some comfort reading the reviews that this company seems to have decent ratings especially for the price.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/avision-ahead-shields.html

So far I've been very happy with this visor, I am also going to try their new updated full shield once it's CSA approved for Canada this spring. I think I'll use my half visor for sponge, ball, shiny, and street hockey - but I'll switch to the full cage once ice hockey season starts next fall.

http://www.hockeyfaceshields.com/update-design.html

P.S email or call the president of the company and tell them a guy from Winnipeg sent you to his site (he'll know who it is), you might be able to swing a small discount if you're lucky

Good luck

Rookie109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Terry Yake

if you're looking to spend under $50, the tron visors aren't a bad deal at all

i bought one at their store for $25 and it lasted me 2 years

if you don't mind a slightly bigger visor, check out the Bauer V visor. monkeysports has it on their website for 29.99

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:21 AM
nosnhoj

Sounds like a Tron visor may be the way to go. Has anyone ordered anything from them online and had any trouble with their customer service? I just want to make sure they are legit before ordering anything. Thanks!

Old
04-25-2014, 03:27 PM
nwharris74

Ordered a jersey with name and number from Tron. Took forever. Had to call them about it. Once I got it the name was missing. Called again and did get a refund for the price of the name.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Jisatsu

Use a no name visor made in the same factory tron visors are made, and my friend uses the tron visor. Better quality and better anti fog/scratch resistance than my last Oakley and itech visors at a third of the price or less.

As far as tron service goes, I ordered a jersey with a number on the back, got it in three days and they charged me $4 less than my original order total (guess there was a sale or something).

Some people have had problems with their customer service (see mod squad forums for details) but I haven't. But I would definitely buy a visor from tron again if/when I need it.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 10:15 AM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhoj View Post
I looked at those and they seemed decent (especially for the price), but I've read a lot of anecdotal evidence about how bad their customer service is, so I'm hesitant in buying anything from them at this point. Do you have any experience with them?
I have not personally, but a ton of refs in my area use them/suggest them and none of ever stated anything about bad experiences.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 02:31 PM
roffleburger

I've ordered many times from them, no issues so far (I'm in Canada). I've bought shin pads, a hockey bag, elbow pads, shoulder pads, visor, gloves, you name it. Several separate order, no issues on any of them.

I have the Tron S50 visor and I absolutely love it (I've had Oakleys and Bauers, they don't compare in my opinion).

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 08:10 PM
intangible

Several low level pro teams all use Tron visors; never heard any complaints.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Rookie109

I've been very happy with my Avision Ahead half visor, but I gotta admit that the Tron visor seems like a good deal.

Rookie109 is offline   Reply With Quote