Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Devante Smith-Pelly?

Old
03-13-2013, 04:24 PM
illpucks

vCash: 500
Devante Smith-Pelly?

When the Ducks were sucking last year, he was the only good player. But now the team is so deep, he can't make the cut?

Hard to believe. Why isn't he on the roster this year?

illpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:29 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

He was on the roster opening day. And clearly showed that he wasn't ready for the NHL after 5 games of evaluation. They've made the right move by sending him down and letting him develop.

He won't be down there permanently, but he needs to show that he's good enough to play in the NHL again.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Because he wasn't skating fast, wasn't hitting, wasn't playing good defense, wasn't scoring, and in general wasn't doing any of the things that got him into the NHL. Hopefully he got motivated enough to play, because he's needed now.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:31 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Only good player?

Selanne had 66 points, Perry had 37 goals.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Exit Dose

Yeah, if I was going to single out a rookie for being there for the team when it was at its lowest it would be Bonino.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:36 PM
illpucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Only good player?

Selanne had 66 points, Perry had 37 goals.
I don't mean the entire season. When the Ducks were sucking under Carlyle and Boudreau's first few games, DSP was the ONLY good player then.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:58 PM
AngelDuck

The fact that he isn't here has nothing to do with last year. It has to do with how he played in Norfolk during the lockout (Lazy, thought he was too good for the league), and then came to camp and got handed a spot. Then was sent down because of how he played. I hope he worked hard because next year he's going to have to compete with guys like Maroon, Wagner, McMillan, Etem, Rakell, etc. for a spot. I don't know if he's better then them

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
When the Ducks were sucking last year, he was the only good player. But now the team is so deep, he can't make the cut?

Hard to believe. Why isn't he on the roster this year?
Really? Not sure what games you were watching (if you were watching them at all)

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:33 PM
gradeAducksfan

He or she was just asking a question. There really is no need to break down the question like this.

DSP needs to prove himself and I think this year he had it in his mind that he was a roster player no matter what.

gradeAducksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Only (or one of the few) pleasant surprises last season (or in parts), but not close to best player

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:37 PM
illpucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Really? Not sure what games you were watching (if you were watching them at all)
Watch the replays of the disgruntled Hazy only praising DSP and you'll see what I mean. When the Ducks sucked, DSP was one of the only ones who wasn't sucking. He was performing at a high level dispute the team losing almost every game.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:42 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Are you sure you're not confusing high energy with high level of play? Because DSP was not playing the best hockey on our team. He wasn't even playing actual good hockey until the rest of the team did. He just played with a lot of jump in his step.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Hockey Duckie

And here I thought the conclusion to the title thread was, "... should be traded to ..." ha ha ha

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
DSP was never "the only good player"

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:56 PM
illpucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Are you sure you're not confusing high energy with high level of play? Because DSP was not playing the best hockey on our team. He wasn't even playing actual good hockey until the rest of the team did. He just played with a lot of jump in his step.
Right but that's not confusing anything. It translates to effort. If the rest of the team is mailing in their effort and 1 guy never quits on the play, finishes every check, works hard every shift, he is the best player on the team FOR THAT TIME BEING.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
Right but that's not confusing anything. It translates to effort. If the rest of the team is mailing in their effort and 1 guy never quits on the play, finishes every check, works hard every shift, he is the best player on the team FOR THAT TIME BEING.
So your definition of "best" is different than mine. Mine is a combination of SKILL and effort. DSP brought a lot of effort and dished out a lot of hits, but as for the things that contributed to how many goals we put in and kept out, he was doing a whole lot of nothing, so to me, he was not the best player at any point of his career at any professional level he's been at. And this is coming from the guy who was pumping his tires all year last year.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:06 AM
TheJoeMan

Devo isn't on this team right now because he wasn't moving his feet when he has here. He's an NHL player as last season proved but he has to learn to bring that effort and commitment every single game. I haven't seen him play in Norfolk but I have to assume he hasn't shown that motivation down there either. I hope he isn't stewing about being in an inferior league because that is a terrible attitude for a 21 year old. Once he learns to act like a man and work like an NHL player he'll be back.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Devo isn't on this team right now because he wasn't moving his feet when he has here. He's an NHL player as last season proved but he has to learn to bring that effort and commitment every single game. I haven't seen him play in Norfolk but I have to assume he hasn't shown that motivation down there either. I hope he isn't stewing about being in an inferior league because that is a terrible attitude for a 21 year old. Once he learns to act like a man and work like an NHL player he'll be back.
What?

Old
03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Nikko*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
What?
Haha. I, too, am interested in that last statement.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:47 PM
TheJoeMan

Quote:
What?
As in not pout and act like the minors are beneath you and work your way back to the bigs instead. His attitude, lack of effort and sense of entitlement is very immature. He played as many games last year because he earned it not because he was entitled to it. This kid should have been a fixture on this team since day one but he hasn't because he wasn't put in the effort.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
As in not pout and act like the minors are beneath you and work your way back to the bigs instead. His attitude, lack of effort and sense of entitlement is very immature. He played as many games last year because he earned it not because he was entitled to it. This kid should have been a fixture on this team since day one but he hasn't because he wasn't put in the effort.
I'm still lost. Where is this coming from? I haven't heard anything about him pouting, in fact the Ads announcers were commending him for his improvement since being sent down. I don't think we'll see him back up this season, but that's because he has some areas of his game to work on.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

He had his moments last season, but I always thought he would need more development.

He isn't skilled enough to float around. He needs to bring the physicality every game to be effective.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Sean Garrity
MAGNUSIFENT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
He had his moments last season, but I always thought he would need more development.

He isn't skilled enough to float around. He needs to bring the physicality every game to be effective.
Agree. I was never all that impressed with him last season. He was serviceable, but development wise he made minimal progress from last year to this IMO.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:07 PM
TheJoeMan

Quote:
I'm still lost. Where is this coming from? I haven't heard anything about him pouting, in fact the Ads announcers were commending him for his improvement since being sent down. I don't think we'll see him back up this season, but that's because he has some areas of his game to work on.
There was an interview with him when training camp started where he more or less said he belongs in the NHL based on his season last year. That's where I picked up on his sense of entitlement. Maybe I read too much into it but lack of progress this year does seem to illuminate my point. If he were committed to earning his spot he would be putting the work in down in Norfolk and he's not.

He was physically ready to play the day he was drafted. He played with purpose and intensity last year and he deserved to stick around. His game isn't fancy and we don't want it to be. He could be in the lineup tonight if he proved he can put in 100% night in, night out.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
There was an interview with him when training camp started where he more or less said he belongs in the NHL based on his season last year. That's where I picked up on his sense of entitlement. Maybe I read too much into it but lack of progress this year does seem to illuminate my point. If he were committed to earning his spot he would be putting the work in down in Norfolk and he's not.

He was physically ready to play the day he was drafted. He played with purpose and intensity last year and he deserved to stick around. His game isn't fancy and we don't want it to be. He could be in the lineup tonight if he proved he can put in 100% night in, night out.
That doesn't sound like it is, nor did it look to be the case. You need more than a physique to play in the Bigs.