Perry and Getzlaf talks to start

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Corey Perry*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Don't know if I agree with that. I mean name 5 defense prospects better than Lindholm.

Hamilton
Schultz
Brodin
Murray???
Reilly???
Dumba???
Reinhart???

He might be a top 5 defense prospect. Pretty close to blue chip.

Edit: And Hamilton, Schultz, Brodin are in the NHL, so he's even closer to the top than I thought
All those guys are very, very good young players, but "blue chip" (to me at least), is more along the lines of the Sidney Crosby/John Tavares type prospects. Lindholm could very well be a top 5 D prospect, but that doesn't mean he's a blue chip. The only defenseman I named was Dougie Hamiltion. I never mentioned Schultz, Brodin, etc., those guys aren't Blue Chip either.

Blue Chip is not a definitive term anyways, so this is all just my interpretation.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
No, the Crosby's and the Tavares were beyond blue chip. They were players who, at the time of their draft, were basically expected to be the new generation of the NHL's best.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:03 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Bobby Ryan

Not sure if he was considered blue chip or not, but he was a pretty good prospect
I was just about to go back and add Ryan. Yes, him too.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Blue chip? Hmm. Maybe 4 in the history? Kariya, Tverdovsky, Getzlaf, and Fowler?
Yeah, even though Getzlaf wasn't considered a "gotta have" prospect for some time after the '03 draft.

Thinking about it, I believe it took Kariya some time too.

Last edited by Corey Perry*: 02-20-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Well, blue chip isn't really determined when they are drafted. It's what they grow into before the NHL.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
Yeah, even though Getzlaf wasn't considered a "gotta have" prospect for some time after the '03 draft.
Yeah Getzlaf wasn't blue chip until like 2004 or 2005. After the world juniors. Don't remember which year it was.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
No, the Crosby's and the Tavares were beyond blue chip. They were players who, at the time of their draft, were basically expected to be the new generation of the NHL's best.
You're right. I was using them as an example of how truly great you have to be to be a "blue chip". I should've mentioned that you can be a little bit below them too, like a Patrick Kane. You don't necessarily have to be a generational talent, but you have to be pretty high up there.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Yeah Getzlaf wasn't blue chip until like 2004 or 2005. After the world juniors. Don't remember which year it was.
Well, he played both years, but you're probably talking about his 2005 performance. He was a beast.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Well, blue chip isn't really determined when they are drafted. It's what they grow into before the NHL.
Yes, correct, but some guys are in fact labeled Blue Chip when they are drafted. I'd say a lot of people consider Jones and MacKinnon blue chip already.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Jesus Teemu

Quote:
You're right. I was using them as an example of how truly great you have to be to be a "blue chip". I should've mentioned that you can be a little bit below them too, like a Patrick Kane. You don't necessarily have to be a generational talent, but you have to be pretty high up there.
This is kind of what I'm thinking too. Maybe even a bit lower.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
See, I don't think blue chip is quite that high. I think Schultz was considered a blue chip prospect during the summer, for example. Actually, why would you consider Hamilton but not Schultz? Schultz had a greater body of work to look at, and seemed the more refined player.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Yes, correct, but some guys are in fact labeled Blue Chip when they are drafted. I'd say a lot of people consider Jones and MacKinnon blue chip already.
If you are being considered for 1st overall in a draft, you're probably blue chip... or damn close to it. You're right, of course, they are pretty exceptional examples though.

Edit: That being said, I probably would have considered Fowler blue chip if he hadn't jumped immediately into the NHL. Which, I guess, makes a pretty good argument for him actually being blue chip.

Last edited by Sojourn: 02-20-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
See, I don't think blue chip is quite that high. I think Schultz was considered a blue chip prospect during the summer, for example. Actually, why would you consider Hamilton but not Schultz? Schultz had a greater body of work to look at, and seemed the more refined player.
I, for whatever reason, just see Schultz as a tad lower. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that Schultz never got as hyped until he became a free agent? I personally view blue chip prospects as the very top few prospects, and I just don't think Schultz is at that tier.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Jesus Teemu

B. Schenn might also be a good example of a blue-chip prospect. Thought to have possibly first line and definitely high-end second line upside, and there weren't really any questions about his ability to reach that. Had proven himself in juniors, WJC and the AHL.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
B. Schenn might also be a good example of a blue-chip prospect. Thought to have possibly first line and definitely high-end second line upside, and there weren't really any questions about his ability to reach that. Had proven himself in juniors, WJC and the AHL.
Wasn't there a period he was considered, if not the best prospect in the world, among the very best?

Old
02-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Jesus Teemu

I think so. Right up until RNH iirc.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Past then. His decline started last season, but he's migrating back to prime status this year.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:51 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Wasn't there a period he was considered, if not the best prospect in the world, among the very best?
Yeah he was. When he was on the Kings (right before the Richards trade), he was in everyone's top 3. Most people had him at one if I'm remembering correctly

Old
02-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Definitely blue chip. Maybe on the lower end of blue chip in terms of pure talent, but from what I remember of him (at the time) he had a mature and complete game. Wasn't amazing at anything, but was really good at a lot of things.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Theridion

5 days off.... a long time to meet and work out contracts.... every day that goes by makes me less happy.

Win today please. And then 5 yr deals plz.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Teemu says:

Quote:
Selanne speculated on a pretty strong reason why Getzlaf appears to be a different player this season.

"Is this the last year of his contract?" Selanne asked with a big smile, referring to his teammate's status as a potential unrestricted free agent. "Did I really say that?"

Turning more serious, Selanne sees a player competing at an elite level.

"Obviously everybody has bad seasons," he said. "I think that really bothered him last year. It was time to bounce back. I've always said he can be the best player in the league if he wants. And he needs to learn to play every night.

"He can be MVP of this league if he wants. The way he plays right now, it's unbelievable. But don't tell him."

Old
02-25-2013, 09:43 AM
ericnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Teemu says:
Only Teemu can get away with that.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:18 PM
getzlaffan04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Only Teemu can get away with that.
I'm a Getzlaf apologist, so I'm probably a bit biased. But Getz has been a better then a point per game guy for a long time. Yes he had a crap year last year but I don't think you can sit there and seriously say that he is trying to suck and now wants a big contract. I know Teemu was kidding but for all the Getz hate I hear in the stands I feel like I should back my boy up a little. I am shocked at how many people would rather keep Getz over perry on message boards though, considering people give him so much flack. I wanna keep both but have a feeling Perry is gone.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:17 PM
PhoenyX

LeBrun said talks with Perry will resume this week during Insider Trading on TSN. I didn't hear anything on Getzlaf, although I missed some if it.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenyX View Post
LeBrun said talks with Perry will resume this week during Insider Trading on TSN. I didn't hear anything on Getzlaf, although I missed some if it.
Getzlaf was not mentioned. Basically said talks will start soon for Perry and (in his opinion not citing sources or anything) it would be hard, but not unthinkable to trade Perry if there's no deal to be had.

Closed Thread