HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Better playmaker: Bobby Orr vs. Mario Lemieux

View Poll Results: Who was the better playmaker?
Lemieux 31 57.41%
Orr 23 42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

vCash: 500
Better playmaker: Bobby Orr vs. Mario Lemieux

Who do you think was the better playmaker in their primes? I can't choose.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Canadiens1958

Bobby Orr

Mario Lemieux was an elite offensive zone playmaker. Bobby Orr was an elite playmaker in all three zones.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Lemieux was more of a chess player on the ice than Orr in my humble opinion.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I think of Bobby Orr's "playmaking" coming from mostly from dissecting defenses with his skating - doing the hard work with his feet to make easy work for his hands, if that makes sense to anyone. Lemieux, on the other hand, seemed to have a lot more puck skills. Like, a LOT more. Better touch and vision on passes, imo, slicker with the combination of dekes and dish off passes... just basically more creative on the whole. The era required it.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:11 PM
habsfanatics

Depends on how you define "playmaking". If you think of playmaking in the traditional sense Mario Lemieux was the 2nd best playmaker in history behind Wayne Gretzky imo.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:26 PM
seventieslord

I’m going with Orr because his possession game was the best of all-time. But Lemieux has a case for #3. I like how it was said he was more of a chess player. He was, especially 1996 and on.

In any case, just looking at assist totals is not fair to Orr, who is a defenseman. But I’m sure if you compare Orr’s (adjusted) assist totals to those of the most elite seasons produced by some other defensemen, and then do the same for Lemieux compared to all other forwards except Gretzky, Orr comes out ahead by a wider margin. That is, if you assume the “responsibility” for playmaking falls equally on guys like Orr and Lemieux when they’re on the ice (and I think it does), Orr stood out much more at his position than Lemieux.

Unadjusted:

Orr’s best 6 assist seasons: 520
Best 6 assist seasons posted by any other defenseman: 502 (much of this included Coffey, helped by Gretzky)

Lemieux’s best 6 asisst seasons: 575
Best 6 assist seasons posted by any other forward (no Wayne): 568

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Orr...

... end to end, Lemieux from centre ice to the goal line could also be beyond spectacular so Id say thats pretty much even-steven. Both could stickhandle in a phone booth for quite some time, though as mentioned above, Orr did it in all 3 zones.

Last edited by Killion: 01-16-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:18 PM
ot92s

I'll take Mario. Softest hands evaaarrr...

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:39 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

Lots of good comments. I'll take Orr because his position required he make plays in all three zones. And that first pass out of one's own zone is often the key to a good offensive attack. Orr rushed the puck out of his zone a lot and then made a pass and that is a credit both to his playmaking and skating. I'll give Lemieux the nod for offensive zone creativity, but having an elite puck moving and playmaking defense man is so much more valuable. Often the key play or best play does not get credited with an assist.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:41 PM
85highlander

I know only one point is awarded for an assist, but many of Orr's came as the result of a long, spectacular rush...sometimes only one point for the play doesn't quite seem fair...

I suppose the same could be said in some regards about M Lemieux as well - but I chose Orr.

Has there ever been a greater assist than the one displayed below (starting at 14 seconds)...? The rush up the ice (as he's being repeatedly slashed) and the concentration after being knocked to the ice to control the puck with his elbow back to his blade...then backwards and under to Johnny Bucyk for the goal is insane...

85highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:19 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85highlander View Post
I know only one point is awarded for an assist, but many of Orr's came as the result of a long, spectacular rush...sometimes only one point for the play doesn't quite seem fair...

I suppose the same could be said in some regards about M Lemieux as well - but I chose Orr.

Has there ever been a greater assist than the one displayed below (starting at 14 seconds)...? The rush up the ice (as he's being repeatedly slashed) and the concentration after being knocked to the ice to control the puck with his elbow back to his blade...then backwards and under to Johnny Bucyk for the goal is insane...

Yzerman?

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:41 AM
tony d
The man

Mario Lemieux.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Big Phil

Had to pick Mario here, but great poll either way. I chalk it up to who had the playmaking vision as close to Gretzky as possible. Gretzky literally had eyes in the back of his head while making a pass. Mario is close to that level but a little shy. That being said with those soft hands of his he made even the lovely passes seem effortless. A close one, but Mario for me by a pinch.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:01 AM
LaTenderness

Super Mario..... He's the GOAT

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:10 AM
seventieslord

22-13 for lemieux, but 11-8 for Orr when counting just regular HOH contributors.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:13 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Iím going with Orr because his possession game was the best of all-time. But Lemieux has a case for #3. I like how it was said he was more of a chess player. He was, especially 1996 and on.
Orr could control a PK all by himself. If he wanted to keep the puck he kept it. Nobody could get it away from him.
I would go with Mario in the offensive zone, but in his own zone and the nuetral zone there was nobody better with the puck and finding teammates then Bobby Orr.

great poll btw.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Too close to call but went with Orr because his assist numbers seem more impressive to me given their respective positions.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
22-13 for lemieux, but 11-8 for Orr when counting just regular HOH contributors.
It really depends what playmaking is in the eyes of the voter.

Orr's skating was so ridiculously ahead of everyone of his time that it helped his playmaking skills a whole lot.When I look at playmaking I'm really looking at vision and kind of a being a good ''chess player'' on the ice.In that department , while Orr was insanely good , Lemieux was 2nd to Gretzky.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:38 AM
tombombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
It really depends what playmaking is in the eyes of the voter.

Orr's skating was so ridiculously ahead of everyone of his time that it helped his playmaking skills a whole lot.When I look at playmaking I'm really looking at vision and kind of a being a good ''chess player'' on the ice.In that department , while Orr was insanely good , Lemieux was 2nd to Gretzky.
I agree with this. Orr had so much more time and space to make passing decisions.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
I agree with this. Orr had so much more time and space to make passing decisions.
... correct. And I rather doubt if even you Mr. Bombadil would have been capable of stripping the puck off of Orr's stick.... the pair of you locked inside a phone booth. Now if it was Lemieux, he wouldnt even venture inside, decrying all the clutching & grabbing that was sure to occur, and you'd win by default.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:23 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to SaintPatrick33
Orr. That kind of production as a defenseman is just insane.

SaintPatrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:14 PM
diligent_d

Went with Orr in the end.

Tough poll.

diligent_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:30 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Orr. That kind of production as a defenseman is just insane.
And has yet to be matched..... 35+ years later

If his knee's hadn't imploded we wouldn't be having this discussion.

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote