HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Niskanen + 2nd

Old
01-14-2013, 01:12 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

vCash: 500
Niskanen + 2nd

Pens need a top6 forward, preferably a RH shot who can be a factor on the PP. We are not talking a star here, but it should be someone with better offensive instincts and hockey IQ than my beloved Tyler Kennedy.

Lovejoy can be added if a depth alround defenseman is desired.

Which team has that player AND has a need for D?

...and yes, Pens need a D-man also, but that is for the deadline to solve as we have young borderline ready NHL D-men with very good potential coming out of our *****.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

If it meant actually getting Niskanen instead of Martin or one of the Pens' defensive prospects, I think I'd really have to consider moving Setoguchi. Our two fanbases have discussed a Seto to Pittsburgh trades many times, but it always seems to end up being for a prospect or for Martin, not Niskanen. I don't really like the idea of moving Seto as we'd have to rely on Coyle or Zucker being able to step right in to the NHL, but I'd do it if it meant getting Niskanen here. Niskanen would be just the man to bump down Spurgeon to the third pairing and ensure that (at least when healthy) Prosser never sees another NHL game with the Wild.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Pens fans just want Martin out for his caphit. Last year was an abomination for him, but everything before that he has been a very good top4 D-man. We cannot let him go right now without getting someone better instead, and value wise we couldn't deal Martin at a worse time.

Niskanen on the other hand is a Letang-lite, and whereas he had a strong season last year, his very useful qualities are just not as needed on the Pens whereas his relative weaknesses are some that should be addressed on the D-group as such.
For me he is certainly part of our current top4 on ability alone, but he is the one we can replace with the most ease.

Seems like a win/win IMO, as I would really like to see Kunitz Crosby Setoguchi. Sold.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:59 AM
Cogburn

I thought there was an agreed upon price, pre-lockout and possibly pre-draft, of Raymond+second for Niskanen. If that's still on the table?

Edit: Just saw Setoguchi...nevermind, that beats the pants off what I had.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:03 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Damn, Niskanen's cap hit is only $2.3 million too, nice. The fact that he's a Minnesota boy is just a bonus. He'd be such an ideal 2nd/3rd pairing d-man to have while we wait for Dumba to (hopefully) arrive. I can see why Pittsburgh may not want to give him up right now since they're a little short on defense at the moment, but they've got the best d-man prospect pool in the league and could probably replace him right from the system in a year or two, yet alone through free agency.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:13 AM
LGP89

I think the Pens keep him considering how bad Martin was and how bad Orpik was at times and how low of a cap hit he has. Niskanen has potential and he fits our system. Unless one of our prospects solidifies themselves in our top 4 Niskanen stays.

Him and a second would be a good start for a top6er though.

LGP89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:45 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Pens need a top6 forward, preferably a RH shot who can be a factor on the PP. We are not talking a star here, but it should be someone with better offensive instincts and hockey IQ than my beloved Tyler Kennedy.

Lovejoy can be added if a depth alround defenseman is desired.

Which team has that player AND has a need for D?

...and yes, Pens need a D-man also, but that is for the deadline to solve as we have young borderline ready NHL D-men with very good potential coming out of our *****.
To the bolded, I think I have a traffic pylon around here, maybe a deal around that?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
To the bolded, I think I have a traffic pylon around here, maybe a deal around that?
Well well.... as I said, I love him. And few trafic pylons can be counted on to above 0.5PPG from the third line....

Kennedy is much better than he gets credit for, but at the same time, a bonafide top6 player he is not.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:00 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Just the idea if maybe finangling a second legitimite top6 forward out of that Dallas deal without adding too much, is kinda WOW. I love Nisky, but you can`t turn those opportunities down.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:08 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
If it meant actually getting Niskanen instead of Martin or one of the Pens' defensive prospects, I think I'd really have to consider moving Setoguchi. Our two fanbases have discussed a Seto to Pittsburgh trades many times, but it always seems to end up being for a prospect or for Martin, not Niskanen. I don't really like the idea of moving Seto as we'd have to rely on Coyle or Zucker being able to step right in to the NHL, but I'd do it if it meant getting Niskanen here. Niskanen would be just the man to bump down Spurgeon to the third pairing and ensure that (at least when healthy) Prosser never sees another NHL game with the Wild.
Probably a good deal for both teams, although that means Shero being sold on Englland in his top four to open the season.

That said, if Shero ended up parlaying Gologoski and a 2nd into Neal and Setoguchi, then that would be pretty amazing.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:37 AM
forthewild

Seto for Niskanen and 2nd

fits both teams needs, we get a good pmd you guys get a goal scorer to play with Crosby/Malkin

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Niskanen is far overrated on HF, and I'm not just saying that because I am a stars fan. I definitely don't want to speak on behalf of the Dallas fan base but I was more than happy to see him get traded, he was of negative value. Not effective at either ends of the ice (it was a rare sight to see him put a shot on net). That being said I don't think it's reasonable to expect to get a top 6 player for him and a 2nd round pick.

Nemeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan17 View Post
Niskanen is far overrated on HF, and I'm not just saying that because I am a stars fan. I definitely don't want to speak on behalf of the Dallas fan base but I was more than happy to see him get traded, he was of negative value. Not effective at either ends of the ice (it was a rare sight to see him put a shot on net). That being said I don't think it's reasonable to expect to get a top 6 player for him and a 2nd round pick.
He was having a terrible season in Dallas but to be honest he was one of our best D's last year, turned things around and was solid all year for us. Hopefully it continues

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:15 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
If Nisky ever went for Seto.. it would technically be Seto + Neal for Gogo....

I think Nisky for Seto (add a little to whatever side) is a very solid deal. Niskanen is going to show a lot this season. I'm not thrilled losing him, but if it's need for need... I'm okay.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:16 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan17 View Post
1. OP is suggesting the Pens add a 2nd to the deal, not the other way around.

2. Being a Pens fan living in Dallas, I've watched Niskanen his whole career. I know what he'd become the day the Stars moved him. He was a complete basket case. He's completely turned his game around to the point that Penguins and Wild fans here can pretty much agree that Niskanen + 2nd = Setoguchi.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:18 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
If Nisky ever went for Seto.. it would technically be Seto + Neal for Gogo....

I think Nisky for Seto (add a little to whatever side) is a very solid deal. Niskanen is going to show a lot this season. I'm not thrilled losing him, but if it's need for need... I'm okay.
From the Wild perspective, they need the defenseman on a cap friendly deal. Losing Seto hurts, but they've got internal options.

From the Pens perspective, you're talking about a young winger for Crosby. Losing Nisky hurts, but the Pens have been drafting defensemen out the wazoo and will have the assets to address the position later in the season.

And, yes, Gogo + 2nd for Neal and Seto works for me too.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
1. OP is suggesting the Pens add a 2nd to the deal, not the other way around.

2. Being a Pens fan living in Dallas, I've watched Niskanen his whole career. I know what he'd become the day the Stars moved him. He was a complete basket case. He's completely turned his game around to the point that Penguins and Wild fans here can pretty much agree
that Niskanen + 2nd = Setoguchi.
1. I was aware of the original offer, I worded my last post badly.

2. Fair enough

Nemeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:44 AM
mpp9

Sounds like a hockey trade to me. Pens would need to make another deal for a top 4 D, but we have the assets to get it done by the deadline.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:46 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Sounds like a hockey trade to me. Pens would need to make another deal for a top 4 D, but we have the assets to get it done by the deadline.
Last time we had one of these, it was Gologoski for Neal . . .