HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
FirmestPiano

vCash: 500
Getzlaf loves Anaheim though doesnt he? So I don't think he's leaving them anytime soon.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
Getzlaf loves Anaheim though doesnt he? So I don't think he's leaving them anytime soon.
Parise loved New Jersey also. Just saying.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Parise loved New Jersey also. Just saying.
>Implying

Old
01-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Doesn't mean Getzlaf doesn't love Anaheim. It just means you can't trust any of these guys.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:42 PM
apice3*

There are only two players Lou has let walk that I regret losing. Scott Niedermayer, who he had no control over, and Brian Rafalski.

Martin sucks, Gomez sucks, Gionta is still good but overpaid, etc. Jury is out on #9 but I highly doubt I will want that contract within 5 years.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:44 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
The Zajac situation will be interesting to watch. If the Devils are back in the pack at the trade deadline, I would hope Lou would know whether or not we have a realistic shot at Zajac wanting to stay here, but if not, you have to move him. We can't keep losing quality FAs and have nothing to show for it. I know everyone has their "in Lou we trust" thing after the run last year, but this is one area I've always felt Lou's gambled too often on.

Clarkson will probably shop around (although I could see Lou giving him a bad contract for some reason) and at least come back to the Devils, but Zajac I don't have the same level of confidence.
Barring a MacLeanian disaster, I don't see any way that the Devils are so far out of it they start trading off guys. In a short season, it's pretty hard to be more than a handful of points out of a spot unless you're BAD...and as we and obviously the Kings proved last season, all you need is to get in.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Barring a MacLeanian disaster, I don't see any way that the Devils are so far out of it they start trading off guys. In a short season, it's pretty hard to be more than a handful of points out of a spot unless you're BAD...and as we and obviously the Kings proved last season, all you need is to get in.
Yeah we would have to be pretty bad. I just hope we don't get off to a slow start while experimenting with this lineup and scoring. We were still winning games even when Marty was fighting it a bit early last year, and he still had a winning record. Hopefully if he struggles early we can help bail him out still.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Agreed. I think we'll be in the hunt, but I do think we may have some issues with offense. This team is likely to go through a rather significant turnover from the SCF through the next year and a half when you really look at it. I'm very happy DeBoer is here, as I think he's a good guy for the job at this point in time.

I just don't want to lose Zajac as I do think we missed him when he was hurt. I believe he's worth a nice contract and should be a key player for us the next 5-6 yrs at least. Replacing him won't be easy.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:53 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

All this talk as of late about not getting off to a slow start... and not that I'd want to tempt fate...

...but didn't it take the 95 Devils like 30+ games just to have a winning record?

Granted that was a better roster, but I don't think many teams entered that playoff race with impressive records.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Agreed. I think we'll be in the hunt, but I do think we may have some issues with offense. This team is likely to go through a rather significant turnover from the SCF through the next year and a half when you really look at it. I'm very happy DeBoer is here, as I think he's a good guy for the job at this point in time.

I just don't want to lose Zajac as I do think we missed him when he was hurt. I believe he's worth a nice contract and should be a key player for us the next 5-6 yrs at least. Replacing him won't be easy.
Maybe it's not fair to blame Lou, but I still don't trust our Hucksterbeek owner with his financial mess. We still don't know if he's got some cash to play with or not. I'm afraid Zajac will be replaced by Henrique, Josefson, and Elias as our top 3 defensemen. And maybe sign Gomez. We have nothing but crap in the minors. Hawful? 32 year old Matt Anderson? Joe Whitney will probably become our best forward prospect cause Matteau, and others might not be pro yet next year!

We'll need help from the UFA market.

Old
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
There are only two players Lou has let walk that I regret losing. Scott Niedermayer, who he had no control over, and Brian Rafalski.

Martin sucks, Gomez sucks, Gionta is still good but overpaid, etc. Jury is out on #9 but I highly doubt I will want that contract within 5 years.
When he starts to slow down and isn't as effective on the forecheck he will hit a wall. His inability to score outside of a 4x4 area around the net would worry me once he loses a step and can't beat guys to the puck in the scoring areas.

Time will tell when this happens...

I can see him and Koivu working well together, but the rotting corpse of heatley will slow down that line. I predict 18-23=41pts out of him in 48 games this year.

Old
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:

You're also using benefit of hindsight here too. Most of us didn't want Martin or Gionta back at the time anyway and understood what was happening there (Martin had a bit of an attitude towards Lou for some unknown reason and Gionta was getting a big deal we couldn't match). Gomez was iffy. A lot of us believed in his playmaking, despite the headaches, but obviously once we saw the money and going to the Rangers, we knew we wouldn't face any regret.

Lou had a bit of a rough stretch after the lockout and even recently as welln(and not all was his fault alone, as our drafting was pukey for a couple years). I think the SCF run saved Lou's bacon too. If we lost Game 6 or 7 to the Panthers, I'm pretty convinced Vanderbeek was ready to can Lou (he was close to doing it a couple yrs ago too). I still think Lou is kind of living in the past in an a couple of areas, and I actually hope the next GM is brought in from outside the team. I doubt Lou stays here beyond next year, as I heard from someone that he promised Brodeur he'd stay on until Marty was no longer a Devil or retired.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Maybe it's not fair to blame Lou, but I still don't trust our Hucksterbeek owner with his financial mess. We still don't know if he's got some cash to play with or not. I'm afraid Zajac will be replaced by Henrique, Josefson, and Elias as our top 3 defensemen. And maybe sign Gomez. We have nothing but crap in the minors. Hawful? 32 year old Matt Anderson? Joe Whitney will probably become our best forward prospect cause Matteau, and others might not be pro yet next year!

We'll need help from the UFA market.
That's one thing we can't say as Devils fans. The last couple offseasons have all been filled with some degree of anxiety or controversy. This offseason will be quite interesting with so many FAs as will next year as well with the goaltending future up in the air and so many prospects on D, as well as the front office moving forward!

Old
01-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
All this talk as of late about not getting off to a slow start... and not that I'd want to tempt fate...

...but didn't it take the 95 Devils like 30+ games just to have a winning record?

Granted that was a better roster, but I don't think many teams entered that playoff race with impressive records.
I think our first 5 games in 1995 might have been our worst start in history at the time, and is still worst. 01/02 we didn't win until game 5 or 6 either I don't think. Even 10/11's first 5 games we had a win.

I would have never guessed in March or even April 1995 we were gonna win a Cup that year. If you asked me before the season started though I said we would have had a good chance. I remember Marty looking like the second coming of Sean Burke for much of the 95 regular season. Lemaire pulled him quite a few times too. He revealed just last season he had his ankle taped that whole season in 95.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:02 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
I think our first 5 games in 1995 might have been our worst start in history at the time, and is still worst. 01/02 we didn't win until game 5 or 6 either I don't think. Even 10/11's first 5 games we had a win.

I would have never guessed in March or even April 1995 we were gonna win a Cup that year. If you asked me before the season started though I said we would have had a good chance. I remember Marty looking like the second coming of Sean Burke for much of the 95 regular season. Lemaire pulled him quite a few times too. He revealed just last season he had his ankle taped that whole season in 95.
I was too young to remember too many specifics... I just remember it being a miserable season (especially following 94 and then the lockout) until the last 2 weeks or so where they took off flying

Old
01-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Like Apice said many of our guys who left who didn't wanna stay went downhill. Paul Martin is a shell of who he was in Jersey, and a joke now. He will be one of Pittsburgh's buyouts in the next two years cause he's been a joke. And continued the Devils tradition of his last 3 years with us with 2 consecutive first round exits in Pittsburgh.

Gomez needs no explanation. Gionta didn't decline too much. He did have 28, and 29 goal seasons during his only two healthy seasons in Montreal so far. He didn't wanna leave though. Was heartbroken to leave, but was never offered a contract. Would have stayed for much less than what he got from Montreal.

Rafalski didn't wanna go. He just wanted roughly a $500k grand raise from what he was making. Lou said no, so he took a $2 million a year raise to play in Detroit, after turning down the Flyers and some other teams in the East.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:15 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:

I agree with this.
Would we have been a better team with Gomez and Gionta? I believe so.
But we also would have hit cap trouble a hell of a lot quicker than we did, and without as many ways to get out of it.

There is no way we could have the paid these guys what they wanted and keep them all. We were going to lose them one way or another.

Agree with it or not, but this is a "win now" team. The Devils are always in a place where they have a chance to contend, better to seize the opportunity when it's available than to take the gamble on whatever scraps + roster player you get back for a rental player. Especially when that pending UFA can be a huge asset to the team down the stretch.

Did it suck watching guys like Martin and Gomez walk out the door? Of course, but perhaps... just perhaps... Lou knew what he was getting into by not handing them their pay day ahead of time. In the end, I'm glad that what happened, happened.

Perhaps we can say the same of Parise down the line.

I honestly feel a lot less worried about all our pending UFAs combined than I did about Parise, actually. Not sure why.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

I forgot, was there a reason Lou didn't resign Ponikarovsky? He would of been a safe bet to have a solid top 6 while waiting for the Parise situation to pan out. Kinda wanted him back.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:22 PM
apice3*

Quote:
You're also using benefit of hindsight here too. Most of us didn't want Martin or Gionta back at the time anyway and understood what was happening there (Martin had a bit of an attitude towards Lou for some unknown reason and Gionta was getting a big deal we couldn't match). Gomez was iffy. A lot of us believed in his playmaking, despite the headaches, but obviously once we saw the money and going to the Rangers, we knew we wouldn't face any regret.

Lou had a bit of a rough stretch after the lockout and even recently as welln(and not all was his fault alone, as our drafting was pukey for a couple years). I think the SCF run saved Lou's bacon too. If we lost Game 6 or 7 to the Panthers, I'm pretty convinced Vanderbeek was ready to can Lou (he was close to doing it a couple yrs ago too). I still think Lou is kind of living in the past in an a couple of areas, and I actually hope the next GM is brought in from outside the team. I doubt Lou stays here beyond next year, as I heard from someone that he promised Brodeur he'd stay on until Marty was no longer a Devil or retired.
I know I'm speaking from hindsight. That's the point. Lou made the right decision on every player but Niedermayer and Rafalski, one of which he did everything humanly possible. People attack his track recent track record, but besides these two, who else would we have been better off holding onto given the contracts they signed?

Old
01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Trio View Post
I forgot, was there a reason Lou didn't resign Ponikarovsky? He would of been a safe bet to have a solid top 6 while waiting for the Parise situation to pan out. Kinda wanted him back.
Didn't seem like he was willing to wait in line while the Parise situation was hammered out.

He signed within a few hours of UFA.
Had implied that he hadn't heard from Lou at all except a casual display of interest, but nothing firm to indicate he'd be signed.

Then the Jets, where his BFF plays (I guess that's important now), offered him a contract and he took it.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post

You would be correct

http://www.hockey-reference.com/team...995_games.html

It took 32 games to get above .500, to be exact. And they did indeed have an 0-3-1 start.

Of course, .500 now is different than it was then...lot harder to recover from a 'bad' start with the three-point games and shootout/OT loss points.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
I know I'm speaking from hindsight. That's the point. Lou made the right decision on every player but Niedermayer and Rafalski, one of which he did everything humanly possible. People attack his track recent track record, but besides these two, who else would we have been better off holding onto given the contracts they signed?
I'm not as much speaking to each specific individual, as to a hypothetical scenario here with Zajac. If we lose Zajac to UFA this offseason, it's a big problem with the alternatives not looking too good. Losing Niedermayer and Rafalski, and what lou did in response (Malakhov and McGillis) turned out to be a big big reason the team really never got over the hump in the playoffs those years.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
manilaNJ

3 point games, especially since they're all intraconference, are going to screw with everything.

That's crazy to think about... ROW that much more important.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:47 PM
kiwidevil

I would love Perry on this team. Gritty, super skilled and a ***** to play against.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

I still can't believe come Saturday, we are finally going to have hockey back.

So darn excited.

Closed Thread