HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Will Fists Fit in the Playoffs?

Old
04-29-2013, 09:01 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Will Fists Fit in the Playoffs?

Fighting, and its place in the game, has been a hot button topic in hockey for years now. Those opposed to the idea will point out itís completely nonsensical for a league looking to diminish head injuries to allow bare knuckle fighting

http://wewantacup.com/headlines/1583...n-the-playoffs

WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:04 AM
yakfish
"Holy Mackinaw!"

vCash: 50
Fighting is a part of hockey. The people who don't like it can go watch ice dancing.

yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:07 AM
caribouPINE

Well, in general, it's certrainly a lot more rare in the playoffs but this is the type of series where fighting will likely have a place in it.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Yes, there will definitely be fights in this series.

I think Orr will sit after Game 1, McLaren will play because he' can make plays and maybe even score a few goals to go with his toughness.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:16 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

I think Orr will sit after Game 1, McLaren will play because he' can make plays and maybe even score a few goals to go with his toughness.
But lately McLaren has sat and Orr has played.

I agree with you but not sure Carlyle does.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:21 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Be very surprised if Orr doesn't dress for every game.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:24 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

Carlyle seems to prefer Orr over McLaren for some reason.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:36 AM
FifthLine
Leaf Syndrome

vCash: 400
I think at least for the 1st game both will be in the lineup.

FifthLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Carlyle seems to prefer Orr over McLaren for some reason.
I like Orr but outside of Game 1 he should not be playing.

He has built a reputation of being a dirty player for some odd reason...anytime he hits a player near the boards, he's ALWAYS called for boarding...despite the fact that it's a legal hit.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:42 AM
sommervr

I would prefer if we could work Colborne and Frattin into the lineup over the Orrs.

I like fighting but I like winning more

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

While the tendency usually is that fighting is toned down once the playoffs begin, I expect the series to be very physical and include fighting as well.

The Leafs played the NYI's in a playoff series in the recent past, and that was a blood bath and I expect similar from this first series as well this year.

04-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
Fighting is a part of hockey. The people who don't like it can go watch ice dancing.
Or watch Chicago.

16 fights on the year.

Dead last in hits.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:25 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Or watch Chicago.

16 fights on the year.

Dead last in hits.
The Leafs aren't Chicago.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Tdot Soldier

Quote:
Or watch Chicago.

16 fights on the year.

Dead last in hits.
Hrmm maybe they arent built for the playoffs? Dont seem like they have the tuffness to go far. I always thought they might be this years Canucks. Presidents trophy =/= cup

Tdot Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
While the tendency usually is that fighting is toned down once the playoffs begin, I expect the series to be very physical and include fighting as well.

The Leafs played the NYI's in a playoff series in the recent past, and that was a blood bath and I expect similar from this first series as well this year.
Leafs trying to out-tough Boston is stupid. Bruins say bring it on. That is there game afterall. Leafs should stick to what makes them successful...speed speed speed. If Orr and McLaren run around like a freaking sideshow..the Leafs will get their a$$es handed to them. Either way I don't expect this to go beyond 6 games. They will be close and Reimer will have to be the best player in Blue and White or this won't even go 6 games, IMO.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Or watch Chicago.

16 fights on the year.

Dead last in hits.
Or look at the Cup winning Ducks teams (coached by Carlyle to boot)... lead the league in fights and hits. Not every team is built to play run and gun, not every team is built to play beat'em up hockey. You play to your strengths.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:45 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Or look at the Cup winning Ducks teams (coached by Carlyle to boot)... lead the league in fights and hits. Not every team is built to play run and gun, not every team is built to play beat'em up hockey. You play to your strengths.
I love it how someone always cites the exception rather than the rule. I believe the Ducks of Anaheim were the first team in the history of the NHL to win the cup leading the league in both those categories. They also have some pretty gritty guys amongst their best players. You don't want to cross Corey Perry or Ryan Getzlaf. Those guys have a mean streak and are pretty big players. Are the Leafs top 6 forwards beyond intimidation? Nope. The more Carlyle is forced to play the likes of McLaren and Orr...the more in favor of Boston.

The Leafs have to shy away from the temptation of playing into Boston's hands. Look at the Habs...they beat Boston all year long...which is why they won the division...not by goonery thats for certain. Play tough yes....but try to win with intimidation and fighting? Not gonna beat Boston like that.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Or watch Chicago.

16 fights on the year.

Dead last in hits.
yeah, but the hawks are a more offensively gifted team - and defensively stronger. so they can get away with being less physical.

fwiw, the thing that might kill them in the playoffs (aside from a goalie meltdown) are getting worn down physically.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:51 AM
NazemKadri43

dress frattin and colborne over orr and mclaren and watch marchand and lucic run around doing whatever they want.

NazemKadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:54 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NazemKadri43 View Post
dress frattin and colborne over orr and mclaren and watch marchand and lucic run around doing whatever they want.
Not sure about Colborne but I would definitely have Frattin in the lineup. The guy can take a hit as well as dish them out. Very strong on the puck and can cycle well. Exactly the type of forward needed against a Bruins team. Two goons only shortens your bench...can the Leafs beat Boston using predominately 3 lines?

Old
04-29-2013, 11:58 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I love it how someone always cites the exception rather than the rule. I believe the Ducks of Anaheim were the first team in the history of the NHL to win the cup leading the league in both those categories. They also have some pretty gritty guys amongst their best players. You don't want to cross Corey Perry or Ryan Getzlaf. Those guys have a mean streak and are pretty big players. Are the Leafs top 6 forwards beyond intimidation? Nope. The more Carlyle is forced to play the likes of McLaren and Orr...the more in favor of Boston.

The Leafs have to shy away from the temptation of playing into Boston's hands. Look at the Habs...they beat Boston all year long...which is why they won the division...not by goonery thats for certain. Play tough yes....but try to win with intimidation and fighting? Not gonna beat Boston like that.
First of all, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf are nothing to be afraid of an intimidation standpoint. Perry is no scarier than Kadri and Getzlaf is just bigger. They had legitimate fighters throughout the entire playoffs playing for them and they did it because that's what the team was built around. It's not an exception to anything, there is no rule that says tough teams don't win or lose.

Secondly, playing a rough game isn't playing into Boston's hands... that's exactly what the Leafs want. You want to look at the habs? Sure... lets do that. The leafs won the season series because they hit them and hit them hard. Pittsburgh beat them a couple weeks ago doing just that.. they were hitting literally everything and completely shut the habs down. You seem to have this illusion that toughness and "goonery" as you called it are 2 separate entities which isn't the case. If the Leafs don't have the Orr's, McLaren's, Fraser's etc. the team gets run out of the building every night against Boston like we became accustomed to watching.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:09 PM

Even if we don't want to admit it,the Leafs are very timid without Orr and McLaren in the lineup. I remember Kadrid pointing to both of them and saying " They are my boys ". Bruins will walk all over the forwards without toughness in the lineup.

share is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:17 PM
smitty10

I like our team toughness, but we don't need more than Orr and Fraser. Mclaren should sit out.

I think the lineup should be:

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
MacArthur-Colborne-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr
Grabovski/Hamilton/Mclaren

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Fraser-Franson
Liles-O'Byrne
Gardiner

Reimer
Scrivens

Kostka should be nowhere near this team.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:23 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Against a team like Boston, toughness and intimidation will be key factors. Throwing Lucic off his game by gooning him up with Orr and McLaren has proven to be effective before. He and Marchand are cowards and if we punish them physically we have a wayyy better chance. Never mind Rask has the most fragile psyche in a goaltender, the guy gets enraged so easily and that screws up his game, too. Park McLaren in front of him and watch the sparks fly.

I dont expect the Leafs to win this series, but i do expect it to be an all-out war. Carlyle will see to that.

VoicexOfxReason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:25 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
This is the kind of hockey I love to watch.

I feel like Game 3, brawl.