HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need Help Buying Inline Skates (Beginner)

Old
01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Need Help Buying Inline Skates (Beginner)

Ok guys...I need your help. (And Mods, if a new thread wasn't necessary, I apologize, it can be moved)

I participated in my first Roller Hockey practice on Sunday...needless to say, I was nothing short of awful. But the guy that is putting the team together likes me enough that he apparently wants to give me a spot on the team.

Now, I know my natural lack of athleticism was a big reason why I was so poor, but the other factor were my skates.

They were too small and kept getting loose around my ankles, no matter what I did. So I need your guys' help.

I need some info, and quick, what brands would work better for me on skates? I wear a size 12 shoe size, and have been shopping for the couple of days but am scared to pull the trigger on anything for fear that I buy the wrong skates. I live in Wichita, Kansas, and here there are NO places to buy any inline skates in stores for me to try on, so I am forced to go the online route.

Should I get a wide width? My feet are more comfortable in regular shoes that are more wide (I usually buy Nike or Adidas shoes that are usually worn by skateboarders, I've found that they tend to have a more comfortable width for me).

I'd like to purchase some tonight and pay extra for shipping to have them here by my next practice (which is Thursday).

These are the 2 skates I've narrowed down to, but if they aren't good or something may be recommended better, I'll definitely take the advice

The Bauer Vapor XR2's
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...9&clickid=cart

And the Mission Inhaler AC7's
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...13993.12858541

I really would greatly appreciate any help that can be given!

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:35 AM
SaintTavares

vCash: 500
I've been using the Bauer XR2's since the summer, and I have to say I love them. I wear a size 10.5 shoe, and got the skates in size 9. They fit fine, i feel like i have a wider foot too but these are pretty comfortable. I would say go with these if you're feeling inclined to. The only thing is, if you are playing outside, the wheels that come with them are terrible. They say indoors/outdoors, but after one use of them, the front right wheel completely chunked. I would invest in some wheels if you're looking to continue playing, I'm using Labeda Asphalts and they're really durable for outdoors.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:39 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
I've been using the Bauer XR2's since the summer, and I have to say I love them. I wear a size 10.5 shoe, and got the skates in size 9. They fit fine, i feel like i have a wider foot too but these are pretty comfortable. I would say go with these if you're feeling inclined to. The only thing is, if you are playing outside, the wheels that come with them are terrible. They say indoors/outdoors, but after one use of them, the front right wheel completely chunked. I would invest in some wheels if you're looking to continue playing, I'm using Labeda Asphalts and they're really durable for outdoors.
Thank you for the advice. Our practices will apparently be outside, but we will be playing on an indoor rink.

But I have thought ahead for wheels, I've already bought a set that will be strictly for practice only.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:54 AM
ZenBaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Thank you for the advice. Our practices will apparently be outside, but we will be playing on an indoor rink.

But I have thought ahead for wheels, I've already bought a set that will be strictly for practice only.
I bought a pair of K2s last summer, and they are the best inline skates I've ever had.
I paid an extra $10 for the BOA tightening system, and I'm glad I did.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-I12056.html

ZenBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBaja View Post
I bought a pair of K2s last summer, and they are the best inline skates I've ever had.
I paid an extra $10 for the BOA tightening system, and I'm glad I did.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-I12056.html
Please don't use fitness skates for hockey, there is not enough support and it is not designed for the type of strides and stop-start pacing.

As others have said, wheels are important as well. If you're playing on a rough outdoor surface, any wheel above and 80A hardness will do. Indoor wheels are softer. Generally the heavier you are, the harder wheel you would want as you are really pushing into them whenever you take a stride. Other members would know better what type of wheels are good, but generally, entry level skates will have harder wheels than higher end ones.

The Vapor fits a little narrower than the Mission and can be compared to the ice boot of the same name. Mission's Inhaler series fit close to Bauer's Supreme boots iirc, so the forefoot will be a little wider and the heel pocket a little rounder with more 'anatomical' ankle padding.

If you are forced to go by shoe size, make sure the shoes you're wearing are true to size, meaning that you do not have excess space in the toe.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:49 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Please don't use fitness skates for hockey, there is not enough support and it is not designed for the type of strides and stop-start pacing.

As others have said, wheels are important as well. If you're playing on a rough outdoor surface, any wheel above and 80A hardness will do. Indoor wheels are softer. Generally the heavier you are, the harder wheel you would want as you are really pushing into them whenever you take a stride. Other members would know better what type of wheels are good, but generally, entry level skates will have harder wheels than higher end ones.

The Vapor fits a little narrower than the Mission and can be compared to the ice boot of the same name. Mission's Inhaler series fit close to Bauer's Supreme boots iirc, so the forefoot will be a little wider and the heel pocket a little rounder with more 'anatomical' ankle padding.

If you are forced to go by shoe size, make sure the shoes you're wearing are true to size, meaning that you do not have excess space in the toe.
Yeah, I wasn't planning on using fitness blades for roller hockey. But I have now had a couple of people tell me that the Bauer Vapor XR2's are good, and have a nice fit even for people who have a bit of a wider foot.

I did the measurements of my foot and it appears that I'm right on the cusp of either a Standard or Wide width, and that either could work.

But if I'm understanding your statement, you're saying that the Mission's might be an overall better fit, is that correct?

And I do wear a size 12 shoe, but I've always had a little space at the tip of my toes, usually less than a thumb's width, as that's what my parents always told me, and when I have bought shoes that's what the people at Foot Locker/Finish Line have always said as well.

I just can't really afford to screw this up, as on my limited budget, I need to get the right skate the first time.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:29 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Yeah, I wasn't planning on using fitness blades for roller hockey. But I have now had a couple of people tell me that the Bauer Vapor XR2's are good, and have a nice fit even for people who have a bit of a wider foot.

I did the measurements of my foot and it appears that I'm right on the cusp of either a Standard or Wide width, and that either could work.

But if I'm understanding your statement, you're saying that the Mission's might be an overall better fit, is that correct?

And I do wear a size 12 shoe, but I've always had a little space at the tip of my toes, usually less than a thumb's width, as that's what my parents always told me, and when I have bought shoes that's what the people at Foot Locker/Finish Line have always said as well.

I just can't really afford to screw this up, as on my limited budget, I need to get the right skate the first time.
It's impossible for anyone to tell you which skate will fit you better over the internet.

Check the return policy for the retailer you're ordering from. If it's unclear, ask them. If you grab a pair that doesn't fit for w/e reason, they will usually let you return it if it was unworn in-game.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:44 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

I want to thank those of you who responded to the post today, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Bauer Vapor XR2's just now, I am paying more than I would have liked to, but if they don't work out I am able to return them. I bought from Dick's Sporting Goods because they did specifically spell out the Free Returns on the skates, and if they don't work out I will try the Mission's.

So let's hope that these work out, so I can at least blame my terrible play on me just being a big ball of suck, rather than that reason as well as my skates not being worth a damn.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:10 PM
AIREAYE

If you can, keep us updated on your experiences!

Old
01-09-2013, 06:25 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If you can, keep us updated on your experiences!
So my Bauer Vapor XR2's arrived today, and I could immediately tell just by putting them on that they should be A LOT better for me than the skates I was stuck using on Sunday.

Unfortunately I could not go out and actually try them today because A) the rink we use to practice was closed today, and B) none of my teammates were able to come with me, and I would have liked someone to practice with.

But we have 1 final practice this Friday before our 1st game this Sunday...I'm really excited!

Old
01-14-2013, 07:25 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

First Game.

So, I had my first ever Roller Hockey game Sunday night.

We lost in an OT Shootout. In our league if we reach OT you go a 5-on-5 Shootout, if you're tied at the end of that shootout you are then in Sudden Death shootout where next goal wins (no matter what, other team doesn't get a chance to match if they normally would have).

We went all through the first 5 guys, of which I was not apart of, I was the 1st up in the Sudden Death shootout, puck rolled right off my stick on my shot and I ended up crashing into the goalie and falling onto him...not my best moment.

Then we went through everyone AGAIN, and we're still tied. Then we went through our first 4 shooters, and missed, their 4th shooter made it.

I felt that I was playing well overall, making a couple of nice defensive plays, and then with about 5 min left in the game, with the game tied, I committed a HORRENDOUS turnover and the other team scored. I was absolutely furious with myself. I was at about center rink, and the defensemen makes a nice pass to me, but I missed the puck, and it bounced off my skate and to the opposing team and they skated in and scored. I was absolutely devastated.

Now. I'm going to need some opinions here. I thought I should have been credited with an Assist in the game that made it a 1 goal game for us, I somehow got the puck in front of the goalie, but I had a player on the side of the net with much better hands than I, as well as having a much better shot.

I pass it to him, and he shoots, the goalie makes the initial save but leaves a juicy rebound, and the guy shoots it again and scores. I wasn't credited with an Assist on it, and maybe I shouldn't have been...either way, I felt I made a nice play to help get a goal.

Overall, I had a blast, we have a bye week next week and then we're back at it. I can't wait for our 2nd game, even though I'm painfully outmatched, I just want to keep playing and keep getting better.