HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles claim Joe Finley (D)

Old
01-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

vCash: 500
His size is salivating. I remember hearing good things about him, and I remember his fight with Martin. Should be interesting to see how he does. Would love for him to turn out to be Cairns.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

So basically a slower Jurcina who likes to fight but even less skilled in transition.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
steveat

Eric Cairn or Rich Pilon type YaY!

Jurcina 2.0 *hang myself*

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BillD

OK, another warm (large) body.
Wishart will clear waivers and be back at BPort. They do not want to lose him, he is ok at the AHL level.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Islanderfan17

Could be a surprise for us, can't ignore that size and toughness...something this team needs after how soft we were last season.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

I think Snow has been watching the movie 'Goon' too many times. If Finley does make it and plays this year, we have some serious combatants available in Carkner, Boulton, Finley, and Matty Marts as our middleweight.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
desmond

More toughness.

desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Let's hope Garth still has some magic waiver dust after using it on Grabner

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Big and average skater? So we basically got our own Boris Valibek. He's a welcome addition for me so long as you pair him with a puck mover and tell him stay home and crush anything not wearing the same jersey as you.

Marlo Stanfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
CDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I think Snow has been watching the movie 'Goon' too many times. If Finley does make it and plays this year, we have some serious combatants available in Carkner, Boulton, Finley, and Matty Marts as our middleweight.
Wonder if they looked at that Pittsburgh game 2 season ago and came up with a model to experiment with. They built a lot off of that "You're not going to push us around anymore" fling with Crosby and company.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
Would rather have took a flier on Smaby, he is only three inches shorter and has tons of more NHL experience.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirt View Post
Wonder if they looked at that Pittsburgh game 2 season ago and came up with a model to experiment with. They built a lot off of that "You're not going to push us around anymore" fling with Crosby and company.
I remember Weight hinted that the team knew what they needed to do in an interview before UFA period. It was very clear that the team was as soft as butter and was being pushed around the majority of the season. I was pretty happy to hear that myself and I applauded the Carkner signing. Boulton is a good 13th forward who can dress when he's needed.

Finley seems like a reactionary move with the Visnovsky situation, but I don't mind another big guy to throw down and protect our skilled players - who are mostly still kids themselves.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirt View Post
That they did, and then they completely took that element away last season and to no surprise we looked like ****. Our team simply plays better when we play tougher, otherwise we are just a bunch of smurfs. Really happy with the addition of size and toughness to the roster this year. It will come in use specifically for these division games.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
Can't help but think what the presence of big, tough, defensemen will do to Griffin Reinhart. I think the Isles tried to make a statement when bringing in Finley and even Carkner that they want their big defenseman to be mean and nasty.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:13 PM
stranger34

So assuming no Visnovsky, what do our pairings look like?

One good thing at least is that we know Martinek pairs well with slow phyiscal stay at home defenseman. The martinek - Witt pairing was always effective.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:13 PM
xECK29x

The Atlantic is going to be nasty, we need the size, plus has has another year left on his deal. I would hope we claim Hickey as well.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
IslesNorway

Yup, the isles are sending a message they won't be pushed around anymore. With this guy, Martin, Carkner and Boulton other teams will be careful to pick a fight and play dirty

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Renbarg

I still want the Islanders to pick up Hickey. At the very least, you'll have the ability to keep Landry and Wishart down in Bridgeport and not force Bridgeport to use an ECHL caliber defense.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Also, here's the Rochester POV and background on this move from their local beat writer:
Quote:
But now this dagger for the Amerks: defenseman Joe Finley was claimed off waivers by the New York Islanders today.

That means the Amerks now have no stay-at-home defenseman and no imposing physical presence on their blue line. A team that already ranks 29th in the AHL in shots allowed per game (33.6) just got worse defensively. (Only Binghamton ranks worse in shots allowed at 35.7, but considering the VERY liberal manner in which shots are counted in their home arena, in reality the Amerks are the worst).

The Amerks rank third in goals for (3.42 average) but are just 26th in goals-against per-game average (3.11). They had already lost their best center (Cody Hodgson), their best power forward (Marcus Foligno) and their multi-threat defenseman (Brennan) to the Sabres.

And now they lose their most imposing defenseman (the 6-foot-8, 248-pound Finley) who is a very important part of the penalty kill. Not to mention keeping opponents very honest.

Goalie David Leggio and seldom-used defenseman Drew Schiestel cleared waivers today, so there no longer are any concerns with their playing status. Those two, Finley and right winger Mark Mancari signed AHL contracts in September that allowed them to bypass the waiver process and still play for the Amerks. Mancari still must clear before Saturday in order to remain with the Amerks.

Link: http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/?p=3545
And if you're looking for more info on Finley from guys on Twitter, Kevin Oklobzija ‏(@kevinoDandC) and Rob Sanderson (‏@DropThePuckWHTK) are who to ask. Cheers.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
19NYSports91

I still don't get why Matt Donovan isn't going to be on the team/

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Yup, the isles are sending a message they won't be pushed around anymore. With this guy, Martin, Carkner and Boulton other teams will be careful to pick a fight and play dirty
Considering the Isles have the probably the least amount of proven talent in the division, it would help to mask that with some bangers. The best case is that they'll give people like JT that extra millisecond of time and space to do his thing (for him that's enough).

I just hope they stay disciplined because our PK is going to have to work overtime all season.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
He can kind of fight but other than that I'm not sure what his usefulness is. He's just another career minor leaguer.
Pretty much.

It sucks, because Rochester doesn't have too many options left on defense, and Finely was a guy they counted on down there.

His play dropped off significantly this season, but he was playing against tougher competition.

At best he becomes a solid bottom pairing defenseman who contributes on the penalty kill. More than likely he'll be a journeyman. A good depth defenseman who will play a lot of minutes for your affiliate, and likely be one of the first call ups.

Good luck to him! I've always had respect for him. He always sticks up for his teammates, and is a pretty good fighter.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Wedregast

I'd assume we are looking at defense pairing such as if closest to ability (not done l-r) :

Streit-Hamonic
MacDonald-Martinek
Carkner-Finley

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
I'd assume we are looking at defense pairing such as if closest to ability (not done l-r) :

Streit-Hamonic
MacDonald-Martinek
Carkner-Finley
I don't know if you'd want Carkner and Finley paired. Don't know much about Finley, but I'm positive that Carkner would be much better off with a Martinek or MacDonald type. Since he's a righty shot you are probably going to pair him with Mac.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post

Streit-Hamonic
MacDonald-Martinek
Carkner-Finley
I think Streit and Martinek would be a more likely pairing. Hamonic and MacDonald would be best for the 2nd pairing. Finley looks more like a #7 guy to me, but I guess we'll see.

I know Lubo is being a baby, but we really need him badly.