HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visnovsky Drama Part III (Mod Warning Post #575)

Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
beach
Things are looking

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I thought his kids surgery was on the 9th?
From same article:
All matters, including his son's health situation that you wanted to Slovakia to solve his departure, did you solve that?
"Unfortunately, no. February ninth son undergoes surgery, but the doctors wife and I agreed that if I do not need, so he flew to New York. In Slavic play anyway I can, so I wasted time spent here. In addition, I want the Islanders to show me that the club is not stolen, I want to play for him, and so I decided that before I get there. "

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:03 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
It is scheduled to be on 9th, but apparently he is no longer needed to be present...
Weird, but I won't comment as there has been enough Visnovsky bashing around here. If he's here Wednesday, all the better.

When it comes down to it, winning changes everything. It hasn't been pretty (outside of the total domination of the Pens... on national TV), but the boys are winning ugly and that is a really good sign around here. Lubo's not stupid, coming over while the team is playing well is a good time since people are generally happy.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:03 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
Višňovský says he has already booked his flight and should arrive on wednesday...

http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/144322/v...-som-sposobil/

He also wants to "show the Islanders he cares about them and wants to play for them"
Kuwo thanks for posting this update.

Getting Vis and Bailey are nice boost to the roster.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
I know we are all upset at the way Lubo has handled this. Also I can see how many of us would not want to break up Strait/Streit and Hamonic/AMAC because of the chemistry and the way that they have played so far. BUT how can Lubo be a 3rd pairing guy? Is that realistic on this team? He brings a lot of offensive skill to the table that this team needs, especialy at ES. It is a nice problem for us to have but unless he pulls a Rolston, I really think one of the top two pairings is going to get split up to make room for him, maybe not the first week he is here but at some point during the season.
Viz has never been a stalwart defensively, he's average at the defensive side of the puck. 3rd pairing mins will shelter this weakness, and keep him fresh for that PP.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Weird, but I won't comment as there has been enough Visnovsky bashing around here. If he's here Wednesday, all the better.

When it comes down to it, winning changes everything. It hasn't been pretty (outside of the total domination of the Pens... on national TV), but the boys are winning ugly and that is a really good sign around here. Lubo's not stupid, coming over while the team is playing well is a good time since people are generally happy.
It's his shot to come over with the least amount of consequences.. Fans are pumped and most know that his addition is going to be pretty big so the reaction is not going to be bad. Now report and produce and all is forgiven.

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:17 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
It's his shot to come over with the least amount of consequences.. Fans are pumped and most know that his addition is going to be pretty big so the reaction is not going to be bad. Now report and produce and all is forgiven.
Exactly. While he has received quite a bit of venom from us, he can help us and upgrades our biggest weakness. Again, winning tends to shorten memories and past transgressions are forgotten quickly.

At least it seems he's been reading 'PR for Dummies' lately.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
I know we are all upset at the way Lubo has handled this. Also I can see how many of us would not want to break up Strait/Streit and Hamonic/AMAC because of the chemistry and the way that they have played so far. BUT how can Lubo be a 3rd pairing guy? Is that realistic on this team? He brings a lot of offensive skill to the table that this team needs, especialy at ES. It is a nice problem for us to have but unless he pulls a Rolston, I really think one of the top two pairings is going to get split up to make room for him, maybe not the first week he is here but at some point during the season.
he most certainly can be a 3rd pairing guy, why not? I don't think he'll play 20+ minutes right away, he'll have to get up to NHL speed and the 3rd pairing would be perfect for him. I'd think Vis-Martinek would be an awesome 5-6! but Cappy seems to like Carkner in that spot which is also fine.

Hickey's played well but I think he's the odd man out on this. He's small and quick and smart and can skate the puck out of danger - all the things Vis does, but much better.

I have high hopes for Hickey though, I love his offensive instincts. I hope he sticks, somehow.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
he most certainly can be a 3rd pairing guy, why not? I don't think he'll play 20+ minutes right away, he'll have to get up to NHL speed and the 3rd pairing would be perfect for him. I'd think Vis-Martinek would be an awesome 5-6! but Cappy seems to like Carkner in that spot which is also fine.

Hickey's played well but I think he's the odd man out on this. He's small and quick and smart and can skate the puck out of danger - all the things Vis does, but much better.

I have high hopes for Hickey though, I love his offensive instincts. I hope he sticks, somehow.
Once Visnovsky arrives, Finley is a goner. Not sure if he'll be claimed when he's put on waivers so he could help the kiddies at the Bridge.

Hickey better get ready to sit on his ass in the pressbox, but we all know that injuries will play a role.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
he most certainly can be a 3rd pairing guy, why not? I don't think he'll play 20+ minutes right away, he'll have to get up to NHL speed and the 3rd pairing would be perfect for him. .
Bingo! While he's been playing during the lockout he hasn't played since the KHL honored the agreement. Put him on the third pairing with power play opportunity and he'll get more time eventually.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:31 AM
tobu

I'll add some proper translations of the just the relevant Qs from the interview.

Lubo, when are you going overseas?
Wednesday morning, I have the flight ticket, so Wednesday is definite.

All the issues around your son's health that you wanted to attend to before you leave, you've managed that?
Unfortuantely no. My son will have the surgery on the 9th of February, but I have agreed with my wife and the doctors that if they won't need me I'll fly to New York. I can't play for Slovan, so why waste time here. Furthermore, I want to show in Islanders that I care about the club, I want to play for it and so I decided to come earlier.

When do you plan to play the first NHL game?
To be honest, I don't know when my team plays, but I'll jump on ice after I do the medical checkup. Then its up to the coach to put me in the lineup.

What welcome do you expect in NY after the suspension?
I'll let myself be surprised, but I think it won't be simple. The fans aren't certainly happy, and I know what I'm coming to, what I've caused, but on the other hand I have to say that they don't see what family situation I have been in. There will certainly be some interviews with the media, where I'll try to explain, and I hope they will understand. The owner of the club told be that he would have done the same as I, family comes first, and he knows that I've played a lot in my life and that he would have protected the family first as well.

Islanders have a good start to the season...
I hope I won't ruin it for them, I'll get the chemistry with the guys quickly, and I'll be part of the group and we'll continue with the good results. Would be great to make the play-offs.

tobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Just a thought but does anyone think the teams success thus far has anything to do with him coming early? I hat to think that way but it is quite possible. Maybe if we were 1-5-1 right now he would be staying a little longer? Thoughts?

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:40 AM
19 in a row

Quote:

Thanks. In my original post I did say that I don't think that the top two pairs will get split up right away since I do think he will need time to work himself in, but I do believe that eventually we will need his talents more than on just the PP and a 3rd line. We can agree to disagree, but it is a nice problem to have and I think at the least this means that the top 4 (whoever they are) will not get as severely overworked. If he is on the 3rd pair with Hickey or Carkner, that is a pretty deep D. Maybe ala Al Arbour it could even allow some certain guys to get a game off due to nagging injuries or the grind of the schedule in order to keep everyone fresh.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Just a thought but does anyone think the teams success thus far has anything to do with him coming early? I hat to think that way but it is quite possible. Maybe if we were 1-5-1 right now he would be staying a little longer? Thoughts?
I'm sure its helping him want to come over here.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Renbarg

I'm still convinced we will need to use a lot of bodies during this shortened season. If/when Vis comes they should only waive one dmen and keep the roster at 23. We'll need everyone sooner or later imo. Same with the forwards. Bailey, probably replaces McDonald. Who knows if Joenssuu will even make the team. Either way they better keep 23 up and have a full of assortment of bodies up in the rafters.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Yeah, I think the isles icing a competitive team, probably plays into his decision to report.

I notice in Vis interview, he talks about Wang saying he'd put his family first too.
Sounds like the isles have been busy reassuring Vis, that there are no bad feelings and they accept his excuses.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:57 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what I was suggesting. I really think he wants a run at the Cup and going to a team that hasn't even made the playoffs since 2007 is not something he wants to be part of. Especially if it meant reporting and miss being with his son during his "operation". He was dragging his feet for sure. But now that he sees the team got off to a good start, now he can't wait to get here and will willingly miss his son's "operation". There had to have been some sort of motivation in changing his mind. And I'm sure he's talked to the doctors and his wife before when he was adamant about staying there until after the "operation". I don't think anything has changed..other than the fact that the Isles are 4-2-1 and having him contributing should make us even better and perhaps in the playoff picture.

I do believe what he says about Wang's talk with him. We know Wang has this "family first" attitude...and was completely understanding once Lubo explained that his kid has an "operation". Wang probably told him..."Well, don't expect me to pay your salary...but you need to be with your family, I would've done the same thing with my family."

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
In the back of my mind...I can't shake the thought that, had the Isles started out 2-5-0 or 1-6-0 or something, Lubo would still be fighting hard to stay over there. I dunno...we've played just fine without him...I really don't care anymore. He's got alot to prove when he comes...I'm sure we'll all give him a fair shot, maybe after a few boos here and there. But whatever happens...will happen. Just as long as he doesn't screw with the team's chemistry.
This, but also do not be surprised to see him moved at some point either.

Interesting log jam on defense now because of this. I wonder how much Strait's play and contract, and the addition of Hickey played into his decision as well. If they stick and play well, and his contract is tolled by waiting too long, and he wanted to do the Ufa option next year with a better club but couldn't... I can see why he suddenly wants back.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Team Houda

I never thought that I'd be saying this in light of the way this situation has played out since we acquired him at the draft, but I am hoping against hope that we as Isles fans welcome Visnovsky with open arms. We've got some good karma going now, and are playing somewhat inspired hockey. No need to derail everything with a lot of negativity and venom in the old barn.

Jeez, maybe moving to California really has made me soft, but I just hope that Vis shows up ready to play and that the team keeps rolling!

Let's go Islanders!!!

Team Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:44 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
If his child's surgery is what has kept him overseas, then why didn't Vis come out and initially say that? That is the problem I have with this situation.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Moosie

Attitude is important. You can feel sorry for yourself and be miserable. Or you can suck it up, do your best, and probably enjoy yourself.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:59 AM
19NYSports91

Vis jumping on the bandwagon?

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Islanders1932

I'm welcoming Vis with open arms. He will only make this team better and hopefully help us avoid those defensive lapses we seem to be quite good at.

Islanders1932 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
scott99

I really see him being traded at the deadline. Hopefully he plays great for us for a month before the deadline, and then maybe we can sucker a team into giving us a 2nd round pick or package him to get another 1st.

That being said, if he plays great for us, and we are still winning and deep in the playoff hunt. Keep him, let him retire from the NHL and move back to the KHL. Getting into the playoffs and getting this young team some playoff experience, is well worth the 2nd rounder for 30+ games of Vis (if he plays well and helps get us to the playoffs).

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:25 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

I'm gonna welcome him with open arms as well. Vis is still an extremely talented player and he'll fit well with our team. I'm just curious where he'll fit. It's obvious that Finley is going to get waived, but I don't know where Vis would be placed. I guess he'll take over Hickey's spot. I don't think Carkner is going to sit. He's got a trait that is valuable to the team with his toughness and he's a good leader too.

Very good problem that we have. Shocked that it's actually happening to us for once

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
StrongIslanders90

Our team is Gelling and playing so well right now....Watch this top defensman come over only to screw things up.....

If he plays motivated it could be a nice boast to the team...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote