HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Visnovsky Drama Part III (Mod Warning Post #575)

Old
02-09-2013, 06:17 AM
kuwo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
What? Wasn't Palffy not good enough for you!? 8-)
Actually Šatan probably attracted more fans from Slovakia than Pálffy, since he is somewhat of a hero for people around here. It doesn't mean anything to me though, as I am first and foremost an Isles fans and I can assure you I do not miss Milan Jurčina at all

kuwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Fatty rooting for an NHL team? And the Isles to boot? No it cant be...
You've got the wrong idea about me. I've been an LA Kings fan for many years -- in fact, I became their fan after the Isles traded Pálffy to the Kings. Along with Lubo and Stümpel, they made for a strong Slovak trio on the Kings. And yes, I endured as an LA Kings fan through all their years of sucking hard, even after all Slovak players left them, and I never dreamed Kings would one day be celebrating the Stanley Cup. (In fact, I'm still not sure right now if that magical play-off run actually happened, or if it was just mass hallucination!) Looks like the Kings are back to sucking again this season, so their fans get that all-too-familiar feeling again.

As to Isles Nation, I have no idea what that is, but I suppose it must be something like LGK, the LA Kings fans' community: http://letsgokings.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Quote:
Is Slovakian the wrong term? would it just be Slovak Islanders?
Yes, Slovak is definitely the preferable term (preferred by Slovaks). From the point of view of English grammar, both Slovak and Slovakian is correct, but Slovakian sounds irksome to Slovak ears -- that term is typically used by folks who know next to nothing about Slovakia.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Isles Nation? That has to be the smallest nation on Earth.
We can kick Rhode Island's ass!

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Two things:
- My experience is that particularly Slovaks are pretty great interviews in that they are a bit humble and just say things as they see them. They don't seem to be particularly schooled and they're not always, well, we'll say politically correct. Speak from the heart.

- I have always liked Visnovsky's skill set, but he's been out of action for several weeks and last season he was not entirely himself. I'm gonna be holding him to put in a BIG effort right now, because I can't really imagine him being ready to be the boost this team needs. The Hickeys and Carkners are surely more in game shape right now. I will hope he's able to be a big impact player the last 25 games.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
- My experience is that particularly Slovaks are pretty great interviews in that they are a bit humble and just say things as they see them. They don't seem to be particularly schooled and they're not always, well, we'll say politically correct. Speak from the heart.
Exactly. Don't want me to translate for you what Višňovskı said about America in that videoclip that showed him getting on an airplane as he was leaving for New York. The Islanders blogger was making fun of that clip, saying (sarcastically) how "exciting" the clip was... but if he understood what Lubo was saying, he might actually have found the clip interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
he's been out of action for several weeks [...] The Hickeys and Carkners are surely more in game shape right now.
You know who you can blame for that, I hope. Lubo was ready for action all these weeks. It was the Isles' choice to get him out of game-shape. And if you ask whether Isles are going to have many Slovak fans now... I can assure you that if Slovan eventually misses the KHL play-offs (which can still happen), Isles are suddenly going to have lots of anti-fans in this country.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:36 AM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Exactly. Don't want me to translate for you what Višňovskı said about America in that videoclip that showed him getting on an airplane as he was leaving for New York. The Islanders blogger was making fun of that clip, saying (sarcastically) how "exciting" the clip was... but if he understood what Lubo was saying, he might actually have found the clip interesting.

You know who you can blame for that, I hope. Lubo was ready for action all these weeks. It was the Isles' choice to get him out of game-shape. And if you ask whether Isles are going to have many Slovak fans now... I can assure you that if Slovan eventually misses the KHL play-offs (which can still happen), Isles are suddenly going to have lots of anti-fans in this country.
Don't get into this argument again. I didn't really like the way the Islanders fans spoke about Vis because of this incident. Like I said, they received bad translations, sentences taken out of context and most of all, they were being too Isles-centric about the whole thing, especially their media, completely ignoring all the relevant reasons Vis had for acting like he did. I don't blame them for it, from their POV and with the limited amount of information they had, I can understand that they thought that he was just being a d*ck trying to do anything to avoid playing for them. But after all the politics, he is there now, he won't play for us until at least the next season and that guy is a living legend here. So I wish him and the Islanders luck. Let him do the best for NYI, let him help take them as far as they can go and then hopefully, he will be back here the next season, where he belongs.

As for the lack of practice, can you blame the Islanders? Which team would risk an injury and allow him to play for a different team in a different league (and the main NHL competition in this case)?

ebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:42 AM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
Don't get into this argument again. I didn't really like the way the Islanders fans spoke about Vis because of this incident. Like I said, they received bad translations, sentences taken out of context and most of all, they were being too Isles-centric about the whole thing, especially their media, completely ignoring all the relevant reasons Vis had for acting like he did. I don't blame them for it, from their POV and with the limited amount of information they had, I can understand that they thought that he was just being a d*ck trying to so anything to avoid playing for them. But after all the politics, he is there now, he won't play for us until at least the next season and that guy is a living legend here. So I wish him and the Islanders luck. Let him do the best for NYI, let him help take them as far as he can go and then hopefully, he will be back here the next season, where he belongs.

As for the lack of practice, can you blame the Islanders? Which team would risk an injury and allow him to play for a different team in a different league (and the main NHL competition in this case)?
Sorry man this isn't our first run around as fans with this type of situation, and we just don't buy into his ******** excuses..he doesnt want to play here and instead of honoring his NHL contract, he decided to do what he wants and stay playing for Slovan. From an asset perspective, i'm glad he's here because he provides some much needed depth on the blue line, but that won't stop me from booing the **** out of the guy for the first couple of games. nobody disrespects our franchise and gets away with it

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-09-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Let the profanity filter do its job.
2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:01 AM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
Sorry man this isn't our first run around as fans with this type of situation, and we just don't buy into his ******* excuses..he doesnt want to play here and instead of honoring his NHL contract, he decided to do what he wants and stay playing for Slovan. From an asset perspective, i'm glad he's here because he provides some much needed depth on the blue line, but that won't stop me from booing the **** out of the guy for the first couple of games. nobody disrespects our franchise and gets away with it
Again, I don't want to get into this argument again. We've had it too many times during the whole "Visnovsky scandal" and it lead us nowhere.

Like I said, from your POV, I understand that you see only "bulls*it excuses". And they may look like ******** excuses when you consider the arbitration etc. But you're completely missing his other reasons (and your media and fans in general used to ignore those reasons) which I won't repeat here now because I've already done it a number of times and I won't persuade anyone who had already made up his mind about this.

And I will throw in a little insult, please don't take it too personally Isles fans but
Quote:
nobody disrespects our franchise and gets away with it
Then why do you still have the same leadership? They are getting away with it every single season.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-09-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Edited QP and post, Let profanity filter do its job.
Old
02-09-2013, 12:33 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Again, I don't want to get into this argument again. We've had it too many times during the whole "Visnovsky scandal" and it lead us nowhere.

Like I said, from your POV, I understand that you see only "bulls*it excuses". And they may look like ******** excuses when you consider the arbitration etc. But you're completely missing his other reasons (and your media and fans in general used to ignore those reasons) which I won't repeat here now because I've already done it a number of times and I won't persuade anyone who had already made up his mind about this.

And I will throw in a little insult, please don't take it too personally Isles fans but

Then why do you still have the same leadership? They are getting away with it every single season.
Nice!

Wang's getting away with it. They get it in Europe!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Bert Marshall days

Do you think the 7 people at the game tonight will boo Vis?

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:09 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Do you think the 7 people at the game tonight will boo Vis?
Hopefully they won't be louder than the other four people cheering. We don't want to hurt Visnovky's feelings. Seems like the sensitive type.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:17 PM
original islander

Have to admit that I was wrong. I thought that Lubo would play for us when hell froze over, but it only took a blizzard.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:40 PM
onesinceforty

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Have to admit that I was wrong. I thought that Lubo would play for us when hell froze over, but it only took a blizzard.
That was funny! Well Played!

onesinceforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
You've got the wrong idea about me. I've been an LA Kings fan for many years -- in fact, I became their fan after the Isles traded Pálffy to the Kings. Along with Lubo and Stümpel, they made for a strong Slovak trio on the Kings. And yes, I endured as an LA Kings fan through all their years of sucking hard, even after all Slovak players left them, and I never dreamed Kings would one day be celebrating the Stanley Cup. (In fact, I'm still not sure right now if that magical play-off run actually happened, or if it was just mass hallucination!) Looks like the Kings are back to sucking again this season, so their fans get that all-too-familiar feeling again.

As to Isles Nation, I have no idea what that is, but I suppose it must be something like LGK, the LA Kings fans' community: http://letsgokings.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Yes, Slovak is definitely the preferable term (preferred by Slovaks). From the point of view of English grammar, both Slovak and Slovakian is correct, but Slovakian sounds irksome to Slovak ears -- that term is typically used by folks who know next to nothing about Slovakia.
I cant help but seel like I just got ***** slaped.
thanks for the correction...

I miss Palffy, he should hae never been in any other jrsey besides the Isles

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:14 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Then why do you still have the same leadership? They are getting away with it every single season.[/QUOTE]

haha what are we supposed to do overthrow the owner? believe me if there was something i could do i would. all i can do is tell him what i think in person which i have done before and i dont think he was very happy about it

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Pnut

Quote:

As an American that is German-Italian-Irish and Slovak heritage, I use "Slovak" myself. As I said before, name is from there. There are 2 towns in the Czech Republic that have my name and another 3 which have my name but with a letter changed. Although my great grand father immigrated from what is now Slovakia in 1890. He came back around 1904 with his son (my grandfather-my dad's dad)to present day Croatia. There are thousands of Slavic people with my last name in Poland, Slovakia, Croatia and Serbia. None in the Czech Republic. Not that you cared.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:52 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
As an American that is German-Italian-Irish and Slovak heritage, I use "Slovak" myself. As I said before, name is from there. There are 2 towns in the Czech Republic that have my name and another 3 which have my name but with a letter changed. Although my great grand father immigrated from what is now Slovakia in 1890. He came back around 1904 with his son (my grandfather-my dad's dad)to present day Croatia. There are thousands of Slavic people with my last name in Poland, Slovakia, Croatia and Serbia. None in the Czech Republic. Not that you cared.
so How do to say Pnut in Slovak?

Is the P silent?

Old
02-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Pnut

Quote:
so How do to say Pnut in Slovak?

Is the P silent?

It is....it's also short from Pnutcek.......pronounced "nut check"

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:30 PM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
It is....it's also short from Pnutcek.......pronounced "nut check"

There are no silent letters in Slovak. And "pn" sounds strange. I'm guessing that a vowel got lost over the generations.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Faterson

Why strange? There's a Slovak verb like that:

http://slovniky.korpus.sk/?w=pn%C3%BA%C5%A5

It means something like rise high, climb, grow upward.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:27 PM
ebis

Quote:
Why strange? There's a Slovak verb like that:

http://slovniky.korpus.sk/?w=pn%C3%BA%C5%A5

It means something like rise high, climb, grow upward.
Well, yeah, a pretty rare word.

Anyhow, where have you been? I'm sure the Islanders fans have missed you tonight

Old
02-10-2013, 11:31 AM
StrongIslanders90

I didnt realize Lubo was this much of a beast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjMfVuG_ok

He played real hard last night....wish we had him for a full season...

Old
02-10-2013, 12:50 PM
ebis

Quote:
I didnt realize Lubo was this much of a beast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjMfVuG_ok

He played real hard last night....wish we had him for a full season...
I wish WE had him for a full season

Old
02-10-2013, 01:34 PM
original islander

Quote:
I wish WE had him for a full season
You probably will have him for the whole season next year. If he plays like he did last night I wish him a lot of luck. I'm thrilled to have been wrong about him, he played well and with honor last night.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:32 PM
19 in a row

At the game last night, there were a few boos the first time he touched the puck but the guys up in Loudville and 330, started a Lubo chant and drowned them out within a few moments..I did not hear anything negative towards him the rest of the game, and assume that all will be forgotten as long as he continues to play like last night. I thought he played hard and pretty well last night (one bad turnover but that was an exception in what was a good first game after a layoff)...happy to have him...

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote