HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visnovsky Drama Part III (Mod Warning Post #575)

Old
01-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 500
Snow better stand his ground and toll his contract, but no matter what the result of this is, it makes us look bad that this gutless puke tells us when he feels like playing. You think he'd disrespect Glen Sather and the Rangers like that? Definitely not because their fans, players, and organization would make him miserable as soon as he stepped foot in MSG. I want this guy's contract tolled and have him shipped off to Columbus over the summer. He'll be worth a third-round pick by then, if that.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:53 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Explained above in post #136.
right, i understand that part, but hes acting like "i have personal things i need to take care of...while im on a 5 day road trip" It just doesnt make sense to me. Maybe its lost in translation or something, not with you, but what hes trying to say. Usually when people are doing something for personal reasons, those take precedence over EVERYTHING, not just when its convenient for him, which is how this seems.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:58 AM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
If his son was sick and he needed to "tend to him for two weeks" how is being away for half of that time doing anything for him?
I haven't seen it mentioned before but its possible its the SON who can't fly. No one has said what the son has, but if its something like Chicken Pox there is no way the kid can get on an airplane or boat to travel. Lubo would certainly do himself a lot of good if he gave some more details. And maybe he has to Isles Management.

All this will be known over the next two weeks. I'll hold my judgment until then.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:00 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Right. Making him as mad as possible is the best way to get him to return to the NHL.

Wouldn't he be more likely to return, and perhaps agree to play an entire season with the Isles, if the Isles agreed to meet him halfway in his current difficult situation?
Who are you kidding?

With the KHL back away from supporting Vis' decision, he's folding like a cheap suit.

We've gone from repeated comments that he won't report, to him saying he will be joining the isles, but needs 2-3 weeks for his ill son and oh, can he play for his KHL team for those 2-3 weeks?

Vis is not changing his tune because he suddenly realizes he has a valid NHL contract. He's changing his tune because the Russians, are not getting into a major contract dispute with the NHL, 1 yr before the Olympics, over 36 yr old Vis.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
frankieboy

Quote:
Right. Making him as mad as possible is the best way to get him to return to the NHL.

Wouldn't he be more likely to return, and perhaps agree to play an entire season with the Isles, if the Isles agreed to meet him halfway in his current difficult situation?
How is his situation difficult? Because he'd be homesick? He has a contract with an NHL team that he needs to fulfill before he is free to continue to play in the NHL. He is going to make more money over the next four months than many of us will make in our lifetimes.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I hope the isles toll the contract and don't give him permission to play in the KHL.
I think if he is willing to join the team in three weeks and the Isles didn't let him come back this year, the KHL would challenge the enforceability of the contract next year. Especially if he can point to a family illness as the reason he didn't report on time. I would not want to risk arbitration trying to enforce the contract at that point.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
right, i understand that part, but hes acting like "i have personal things i need to take care of...while im on a 5 day road trip" It just doesnt make sense to me. Maybe its lost in translation or something, not with you, but what hes trying to say. Usually when people are doing something for personal reasons, those take precedence over EVERYTHING, not just when its convenient for him, which is how this seems.
I don't see it the way you do, isles31.

If I tell my sick son, "Don't worry, I'll be back next Tuesday at the latest."

that's very different from telling him,

"OK, so I'm going to America now for a few months, but I'll be back if you need me."

I see a huge psychological difference between listening to those two statements if you're a young child.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Yeah, it would have to be accepted... Situation looking much better for Slovan now, with the 2 trades in recent days. They got the ex-NHL defenceman Tomáš Mojžíš 3 days ago, and today's news is that former LA Kings try-out (and Manchester Monarchs player), center Juraj Mikúš is joining Slovan: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post57665691

So, I suppose Slovan could now make the KHL play-offs even without Lubo, although his presence would certainly help.
Who cares?

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:03 AM
CREW99AW

80 days vs. a full season.

If the isles toll Vis contract, he should not be allowed to play KHL games until his NYI contract has been completed.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL
Chris Botta‏@ChrisBottaNHL
Isles should tell Lubo, Be with your son. We'll toll the contract. Be here in Sept so you're an Isle for a year instead of 80 days.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:04 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I think if he is willing to join the team in three weeks and the Isles didn't let him come back this year, the KHL would challenge the enforceability of the contract next year. Especially if he can point to a family illness as the reason he didn't report on time. I would not want to risk arbitration trying to enforce the contract at that point.
He has said his son's illness is not a serious one.

I think the Isles would have a very strong case: 3x Vis has tried getting out of his NYI contract in 8 months.
I see zero reason to reward Vis or help his KHL team.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Faterson

Quote:
We've gone from repeated comments that he won't report
He never said he wouldn't report. He's been consistent in his statements all along. He said he did not wish to report this late in the season, but that if it turned out he was legally obliged to report, he would.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Isles Junkie

I wonder how he will get injured over the next 2 weeks? Just serious enough to miss the next 8 weeks, but not serious enough to miss the season. Maybe he will come down with whatever not so serious illness his son has? Wouldnt shock me.

I hope they trade him the second he comes back.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Hey Faterson, you'd make a great defense attorney or player agent.... Neil Sheehy...is that you?

Poulin 0n My St1ck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:15 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
I don't see it the way you do, isles31.

If I tell my sick son, "Don't worry, I'll be back next Tuesday at the latest."

that's very different from telling him,

"OK, so I'm going to America now for a few months, but I'll be back if you need me."

I see a huge psychological difference between listening to those two statements if you're a young child.
If you're son is that sick you shouldn't be playing hockey anywhere then...

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:18 AM
kasper11

Quote:
He has said his son's illness is not a serious one.

I think the Isles would have a very strong case: 3x Vis has tried getting out of his NYI contract in 8 months.
I see zero reason to reward Vis or help his KHL team.
Maybe the Isles have a strong case. But if your intention is for him to play for the Isles next year, do you really want to risk having a ruling go against you just to be spiteful?

It is hard to say exactly what would happen at a hearing since this hasn't happened before. Has a team ever said a player cannot report and then tolled the contract? Would the IIHF be willing to penalize Russian hockey over this case? Who knows?

Nobody wants to see Visnovsky get what he wants at this point, but I think the best scenario for the Isles is to let him play out the year in the KHL and have him report next year.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:22 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Sorry, Lubomir, err Faterson. The NHL let's players go home all the time for personal matters, childbirth, etc. It's not like he'd be stranded here and unable to make it home if things took a turn for the worse, God forbid.

This is just the latest in the Visnovsky excuse-a-thon. He needs two weeks to be with his "sick kid" before coming to North America now, but yet was planning on spending almost a week of that away in Siberia and Kazakhstan with Slovan before this. Please. Amazing how his son's "illness" was never brought up until the KHL didn't back him up. I'm sorry, but as a parent, if my kid's health is that much of an issue, it's forefront in my mind and I'm mentioning it as a reason to stay overseas before my lowly KHL contract.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
He never said he wouldn't report. He's been consistent in his statements all along. He said he did not wish to report this late in the season, but that if it turned out he was legally obliged to report, he would.
He was legally obligated to report last sunday by 10 AM. H still isnt here. Yah i know his son with the not so serious illness that takes 2 weeks to recover from? Wht is it? Chickenpox? Whooping cough? Head lice?

I dont mean to sound like an insensitive jerk with regards to his sons illness, but its just such a flimsy story. Yeah maybe his kid is sick, but if its not so serious, then its not so serious. And if he didnt try to do everything inhis power to not report since a few days after the trade was made, then the isles likely would have just granted him leave anyway.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:25 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...Y4CLODiFBivLYF
Lubomir Visnovsky, reluctant Islander, announces he will stay in Slovakia; NHL disagrees.By Harrison Mooney | Puck Daddy – Mon, Jan 7
From Newsday:
Visnovsky, 36, issued a statement to Newsday through agent Neil Sheehy: "I have decided to stay and continue my career in the KHL for the remainder of the 2012-13 season. I am thankful to the New York Islanders for being so good to me. My decision not to play in the NHL is due to family and personal reasons. I have made no decisions on next season. My focus now is on HC Slovan Bratislava, and enjoying my family in my home country."

Old
01-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Knish Of The Crease

Cut him. Just cut him and move on. This is a waste of time. Why did his personal issues come up AFTER he was supposed to report. Stop wasting everyone's time.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Hey Faterson, you'd make a great defense attorney or player agent.... Neil Sheehy...is that you?
Just a humble Slovan season-ticket holder... and I'd like to get the best possible value for what I paid for the ticket.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:29 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
80 days vs. a full season.

If the isles toll Vis contract, he should not be allowed to play KHL games until his NYI contract has been completed.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL
Chris Botta‏@ChrisBottaNHL
Isles should tell Lubo, Be with your son. We'll toll the contract. Be here in Sept so you're an Isle for a year instead of 80 days.
Which I think we would all be fine with. Just be done with this.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Maybe the Isles have a strong case. But if your intention is for him to play for the Isles next year, do you really want to risk having a ruling go against you just to be spiteful?

It is hard to say exactly what would happen at a hearing since this hasn't happened before. Has a team ever said a player cannot report and then tolled the contract? Would the IIHF be willing to penalize Russian hockey over this case? Who knows?

Nobody wants to see Visnovsky get what he wants at this point, but I think the best scenario for the Isles is to let him play out the year in the KHL and have him report next year.
I have zero faith, that even after agreeing to play a full yr next season, that Vis could be counted on to report next season.So, I see no reason why Snow would give Vis the benefit of the doubt and no reason to try to appease him.

Isles worried about losing the appeal? Then give him the 2-3 weeks with his family, but refuse to consent to him playing any khl games during those 2-3 weeks.

Then when the 2-3 weeks are up, he's either reported to the Isles or coming up with another excuse. At that time, toll his contract.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Faterson

Quote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...Y4CLODiFBivLYF
Lubomir Visnovsky, reluctant Islander, announces he will stay in Slovakia; NHL disagrees.By Harrison Mooney | Puck Daddy – Mon, Jan 7
From Newsday:
Visnovsky, 36, issued a statement to Newsday through agent Neil Sheehy: "I have decided to stay and continue my career in the KHL for the remainder of the 2012-13 season. I am thankful to the New York Islanders for being so good to me. My decision not to play in the NHL is due to family and personal reasons. I have made no decisions on next season. My focus now is on HC Slovan Bratislava, and enjoying my family in my home country."

Man, that statement is 9 days old! I translated Višovský's fresh statements from yesterday for you this morning here.

Oh, you mean there's a contradiction? I don't see one. He does not say he would disobey his legal obligations. He announced his preference for the current season.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:32 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Which I think we would all be fine with. Just be done with this.
I agree Snow should not let this drag out.

I simply disagree, that the Isles should let him play in the KHL this season.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:35 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Man, that statement is 9 days old! I translated Višovský's fresh statements from yesterday for you this morning here.

Oh, you mean there's a contradiction? I don't see one. He does not say he would disobey his legal obligations. He announced his preference for the current season.
In post #168, you posted:He never said he wouldn't report. He's been consistent in his statements all along. He said he did not wish to report this late in the season, but that if it turned out he was legally obliged to report, he would.

I posted a quote from Vis, saying he was not reporting.

Spin it however you like.