HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Pick up Mark Fistric from Stars for 3rd round pick

Old
01-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
What's the deal on Teubert these days? I've lost track of his development over the last little while...has he run up against a wall and just not progressed?
Teubert is still young, and he's prone to taking a bad penalty and making young dman mistakes. Needs to work on his footspeed a bit too or get much better at positioning. Definitely needs more time to develop in the A, but I think he's only 22 so there is still time.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
tiger_80

Sounds like a decent pick-up as a 6/7D who will lay hits and keep the other team's forwards honest when entering the zone. Probably we should expect him to make plenty defensive gaffs though--otherwise Dallas would never trade him, much less for a 3rd round pick.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:08 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I also have to say, with how Smid and Petry came along last year, The Gilbert for N. Schultz trade, the addition of Fistric and J.Schultz and a potentially healthy Whitney... our defense looks MUCH better than what we started last season with.

Smid Petry
Schultz Schultz
Fistric Whitney

Potter or Peckham as 7th

Not the best D in the NHL by a long shot, but for the first time in a long time, the top 6 of our D is now filled with legit NHLers.
The beauty of it is, we don't need this D to be the best or even top-10. As long as it hangs around average, it should be fine for us. Especially with our offense.

I still think Fristic could develop into something more, so we will see. Still I feel fairly confident with in our D.

01-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Eskimo44

Awesome job Puritania.

The more i think about it the thing i like about this deal more than anything is he's young enough to improve. If he could be Matt Greene that would be huge for this team, as sometimes these kind of dmen don't hit their stride untill their mid-late 20's. Mitchell, J.Smith, Greene, Scuderi, Zanon, Staios. The list goes on and on. I don't think it's likely for him to be as good as Smith but he still might be a quality anchor for the 3rd pairing, like Greene.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountfistyjpg728x520_q85.jpg‎ (66.4 KB, 108 views)

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
What's the deal on Teubert these days? I've lost track of his development over the last little while...has he run up against a wall and just not progressed?
He's a limited player because of a lack of offense and puck moving ability but he's been an absolute force in stopping the cycle in the AHL. He's been solid but not spectacular. He's a very difficult player to play against and he brings genuine toughness to a degree that it can impact the game for the better. He's been tied with Fedun for 2nd best dman on the team IMO. The defense in OKC has really been the problem, but i wouldn't say Teubert is the reason. He ideally needs another year in the minors, but he should end up in the NHL and have a reasonable career IMO. I'd say he's getting better very steadily, and a player that strong and with his skating should find a role at some point on an NHL roster.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:59 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Oh god, please don't tell me that's already his established nickname.
lol not that I know of, I just thought it had a great ring to it.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:03 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

I like this deal. Even if Fistric had requested the trade and Edmonton was his team of choice this trade fills a hole on the 'D'. It (Fistric desire to be an Oiler) may mean that the UFA status after this season is less of an issue.

Tambo has made more bad moves than good IMO but I have to give him props for this trade.

Now...a little more top 6 size/grit please.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:24 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Does any team in the league have more first round picks currently on their roster as us?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-
Eager-
Paajarvi

Smid-
Whitney-
Fistric-Teubert

Dubnyk

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:49 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

This trade sure shuts up some of the Tambo haters. Fistric for a 3rd is cheap, especially when the Oilers could flip him for a 2nd at the TDL. Really like this trade, just what the Oilers need, best bet the Oilers will keep 8D on the roster.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:01 PM
McDoused

I'm tempted to change my username to Fistricuffs.

McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Re: rumour that Fistric requested this trade...

On the Dallas Stars web site they have a training camp video, at the end of which their coach comments on the trade:

"For Mark, I'm glad it's Edmonton. He's just had a young one, and uh, Mom and Grandma and Grandpa and everyone are up there..."

I am somewhat apt to believe this rumour, based on that. Having a 1 year old myself, I would want to move near family if it's at all possible, even if it's just for a year. Although, wanting to come to Edmonton wouldn't be enough, but I think the knowledge that he'd be an easy re-sign after he goes UFA would appeal to Tambo, obviously filling a need, and I think he probably explained to Dallas that he certainly wouldn't be re-signing with them after the season so they might as well get something for him.

It would help explain the value Edmonton got for him.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:09 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Big physical shutdown D-man with a decent hockey IQ and puck mobility. Great 5-6 D-man who I know as well As others here that we as fans have been after for a while now. Only difference was the asking price Stars fans demonstrated. A 1st plus was the general consensus in the past. Tambellini fleece the former Flamer JN on this one.
Exactly...this trade has me more excited for the season than anything else (yes, even more than Yak and Schultz)...and Tambo got him for nothing, which should get some of you off his back (probably wont, but it should). This is EXACTLY the type of player we need, i love his smash mouth style (hated it when he played against us though).

And thank christ it wasnt JBlow he was going after, this player is not only a better fit for us, but he comes with a kick ass contract compared to JBlow, hope they can sign Fistric here long term now. And how can you not like a guy with the word "Fist" in his name lol? Wonder if this is the 'wow' factor trade Stauffer was talking about earlier this year?

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Usual_Suspect

@EdmontonOilers: Newest #Oilers d-man Fistric will do medicals at 8am tomorrow and will be on the ice for practice. He's currently in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Good trade. A 3rd round pick for any established NHL dman is a solid tradeoff.

He certainly fills a hole in the lineup and is just what the Oilers were looking for and needed.

Just like the Belanger acquisition it's nice to see unanimous agreement that this was a good trade and I'm sure just like with Belanger we'll all appreciate this deal a year from now as well.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Everest

Im fairly confident Fistric can be more than just a marginal upgrade for EDM's defence group.

This guy is legit tough. In fact....his toughness is pedigree. I assume I just missed the the page(s) in this thread where some of the (older) posters reminded the board that Mark is "Son of Boris".

Yes. Boris. Fistric.

One of the craziest/meanest/toughest hockey players to ever grace the frozen canvas.

Worth 3 minutes of your life to google search some of Boris' handiwork when he was with the notorious New Westminster Bruins circa 76'-ish.

Any-hoo...Mark might not be quite as haywire as the old man but he will certainly show up to play every night and I'd be surprised if we don't see him getting upwards of 20 mins/game in the not too distant future.

He will fill a big void for sure.

And better yet...Teddy Peckham/Colten Teubert/Cory Potter are back where they belong on the depth chart.

Dont get me wrong...I still like Potter...but...a little less ice for him wouldn't hurt anyone.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nuck
Flatfoot

A really nice pick up for the price. Now If they can find a Fistric type forward.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
2 videos is hardly conclusive, but even if not, it's still useful if guys start to shy away from his side of the ice.
Nice thing about him is that he can play both sides, which makes him even more valuable to us....and lol, just as we get tougher to play against, Van just got softer by signing both Barker and Vandermeer...wtf are they thinking? Ahh, who cares, i love it hahaha. Also love the fact that it sounds like he wanted to come to Etown, might make it easier to sign him long term if he wants to be near family.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Bryanbryoil

Awesome trade, I absolutely love it! I have long been a Fistric fan and I was hoping that we could find a younger Andy Sutton type. Unfortunately he won't have the same sick dangles that Sutton did , but he will bring the pain to opponents just the same.

01-14-2013, 09:41 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

So what did you guys think about the Tambellini press conference?

He said we have two first round picks this year, which we don't and said that he feels the right side is good with Petry, Schultz and Potter...

Why trade for Fistric then? Are you sitting Whitney, Smid or Schultz senior? I would think Potter would be the #7... Tambellini expects him to take a step this year but he's already 28 and as far as I'm concerned as developed as he's going to get. I don't mind playing him once in a while but not as a permanent fixture in the top-6.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:43 PM
SDig14

I like so many things about this deal.

1) Price was pretty cheap.
2) His style of play is desirable.
3) He is from here, his whole family is here, so if he plays well this year then I can see him staying for a while, which makes a 3rd look even more cheap.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

He said we have two first round picks this year, which we don't and said that he feels the right side is good with Petry, Schultz and Potter...

Why trade for Fistric then? Are you sitting Whitney, Smid or Schultz senior? I would think Potter would be the #7... Tambellini expects him to take a step this year but he's already 28 and as far as I'm concerned as developed as he's going to get. I don't mind playing him once in a while but not as a permanent fixture in the top-6.
I'm thinking that he meant a pair of 2nd's unless he has another deal lined up.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:53 PM
TrillMike

Hey guys. Stars fan here. This was a good deal for both sides.

Fistric's spot in the Dallas lineup wasn't clear. We have a few guys down in Austin (I'm sure if you kept up with OKC during the lockout you saw some of our young guys) knocking on the door. Brenden Dillon will likely be making the jump and getting top 4 minutes. We added Rome in the offseason too.Stephane Robidas is probably going to be moved down to the 3rd pair. Jordie Benn has also impressed the management and will either be a top pair guy in Austin or a 5/6 in Dallas.

So right now Fistric would have been scratched quite a bit.

I've always liked Fistric. When I met him, he was very nice to me.

He hits whenever he can and I'd say he has a giant one every 10ish games he plays. He has the reputation of getting caught out of position quite often. If he focused more on poke checking and hitting a little bit less he'd probably be a bit better shutdown-wise. He won't score many points, but you guys don't need that.

A lot of his teammates (particularly Steve Ott) refer to him as "Shrek" because of his giant troll-like head lol. He just had a kid too.

I don't think he'll progress anymore, but I wish him the best.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Nice thing about him is that he can play both sides, which makes him even more valuable to us....
And judging from his point totals he can play without a stick without hurting his efficiency. That could be some nice cost savings on composites.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Bryanbryoil

Thanks, you guys have a ton of size down on the farm, he's a local guy and he adds a much needed physical element to our blueline. I really like the trade from our side, however maybe you guys will get another draft steal with the pick that we are sending your way.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:59 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

Eh I think he mentioned Potter just to give that guy a quick kick up the backside.

He mentioned Fristic as being a guy who could play both sides, so I think he moves to the right and plays with Whitney imo. Potter is simply too inconsistent to play every day. Atleast with Fristic we'd get a consistent physical presence from the backend, and if he can be consistent defensively, another solid pairing.

McOilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote