HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers Pick up Mark Fistric from Stars for 3rd round pick

Old
01-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Question though, are we going to resign him after this year? His deal expires after this season.

On an unrelated note, does Klefbom replace Whitney next year?

Smid Petry
Schultz Shultz
Klefbom Fistric

thoughts?
Fistric is a LD and would be more effective on the left side. Kruger does not want any pairing to play 25minutes so we can just spread out our Dmen keeping each pairing below 20mins.

Smid -Petry (prime ES time)
Fistric-N.Schultz (prime PK time)
Whitney- J.Schultz (prime PP time)

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:28 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
But then again, it's all about who offers the best deal, so who knows.
I don't think it is... if the offers are even close, you send that dude out east instead of Edmonton. So basically in order for the Oilers to trade for Luongo, which in itself would suck due solely to the contract, they'd have to overpay, which would double suck.

Oiler's fans need to get together some cell phone jammers and follow around Tambellini to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
You think Whitney will get resigned?
Depends on how he performs and how much he wants. I can see him back since he is close with young guns and can see a team on the rise.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:31 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
I could see

Smid Petry
Schultz Schultz
Whitney Fistric
Klefbom

I dont think Klefbom is going to step in playing 82 games
I agree. I'd like to see Klefbom start in the AHL, and then get the odd callup

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:31 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

vCash: 500
I am a fan of Fistric, kid hits like a truck.
This is a good fit for us.

Props to Tambo on this one.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Senor Catface

I can't find wait to find out which random poster dislikes him, so we can hear about it for the next three years!!

Horrah!

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Stoneman89

As long as Fistric doesn't go full Cam Barker on us, this is a great trade. As others have said, it's way too early to concern ourselves with re-signing him, or what to do with Whitney or Klefbom in the summer. Those things will sort themselves out in due time. I'm more interested in the present season, thankyou.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:42 PM
dem

Fistric is what we wanted Colton Teubert to be..

Decent pick up to replace Sutton.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
I'm sure the fact that he is a UFA after this year was a good part of the reason this deal looks so good. Secondly, let's hope this is the first of a few trades that makes this team bigger, stronger and tougher. My biggest concern going into this year is having so many skilled players with so little toughness to back them up ... without Sutton, this could of been a scary year.

Now let's see what other big bodies are out there.

No offence to Sutton, but this is a huge upgrade on him, even if he was healthy. The comparison for quality isn't even close, in my mind. I'd even question Sutton's ability to be in the lineup for more than 60 % of the games, and his mobility was not good anymore. Fistric can play all 48 games and be a regular contributor. Still has the mobility to hit without getting suspended every time, which Sutton struggled with.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:47 PM
ponokanocker

I like the move, but it is a minor move. I like the value we gave up for the improvement, but by no means am I jumping up and down or anything. It helped with the Sutton injury, which I like that Tambo addressed.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

I'm still holding hope for Teubert. Fistric has 4 years on him. If Teubert can slow the game down, and quicken his footspeed a bit, he can be similar to Fistric. This move is great also because it buys more time for guys like Teubert in the system to continue to work on their games without being rushed.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I like the move, but it is a minor move. I like the value we gave up for the improvement, but by no means am I jumping up and down or anything. It helped with the Sutton injury, which I like that Tambo addressed.
well it shores up our D for the time being. If Whitney gets back to his pre injury self then this group can be good enough to get us in the playoffs.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Many times, it is a series of those minor moves that are the ones that allow you to vault up the standings by building depth and ultimately challenging. Don't underestimate stuff like this.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
This. It would seem Fedun got the call up yesterday, and I read Peckham didn't even do the physical tests he just showed up and said "yeah I'm injured". So Fedun call up yesterday, Fistric trade today, and then they keep Fedun as a courtesy but now they have 9.
Colour me skeptical. Peckham showed up last year completely out of shape. I have little to base this on admitedly, but I'm worried about his off-ice discipline.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Asher

I give credit where credit is due. I like this trade. Finally, a little more sandpaper in the lineup.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

If Teubert is ever going to turn into a useful NHL'er for us, I think Fistric is as good a mentor as he's going to get.

Love the deal. I don't think there's any questions about the starting 6 D now, Fistric is a bottom pairing defenseman without major question marks in his game unlike Potter and Peckham. He is not a 6/7. He is a 6.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
on topic though: Fistric has a big dopey face
It's good though, I think it makes him look more menacing, like you have no idea what he might do because he's not all there. It's like his eyes got divorced and can't stand to be near each other.

Imagine if he needed to get glasses, what those would look like?

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Many times, it is a series of those minor moves that are the ones that allow you to vault up the standings by building depth and ultimately challenging. Don't underestimate stuff like this.
I do agree that sometimes its the little moves that can really help a team move up in the standings by a few places. It addresses our biggest need, so has the potential to have a large impact. I haven't watched Fristic very much, outside of his highlight hitting, so can't make a great assessment on him.

The fact that Dallas let him go when they should be a team pushing for the playoffs this year is a little concerning. If they were a bottom feeder, sure, trade him for a pick. But they aren't. A 3rd round pick typically isn't going to turn into much, and it's not like they are sellers at a trade deadline.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
40oz

hahaha

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Big Mess

Wheres Tulupov?

Hey guys just a question, Is Kirill Tulupov still with the org? Thanks in Advance...

Added: Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but they both play a similar defensive, hard hitting game....

Big Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Simple question.

Mark Fistric vs Mark Methot?

Following the trade forums last year, both of these names came up here. Is Methot much better than Fistric or did Tambellini actually get very good value in this deal?

Because Ottawa trading Foligno for Methot would resemble us trading Gagner for Fistric IMO.
Methot is significantly better than Fistric. Trading Foligno for Methot is probably closer to us trading Petrell for Fistric.

01-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Lowball
Re-rebuilding...

Very happy about this trade. Fistric has been intriguing to me for quite awhile. With Sutton's career likely over, Fistric is an excellent addition, afaic. Surprised he only cost a 3rd rounder. Before last season, he was highly regarded by Stars fans. Good job by Tambo and Co. Looking forward to watching him crush the opposition!!!

Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:04 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Sorry I don't have time to read everyone's comments. But this is something that we needed. He is not a game breaker, but still a valuable player.

Last year the Niagara Ice Dogs were projected to win the OHL. They had 8 of their top 9 forwards drafted to the NHL, and the only one who wasn't was an overager leading the team in goals and was the team captain.

The problem was defense. After Hamilton and Oleksiak, it was thin, and that's why we lost to London in 5. We BADLY needed better depth on D.

I also loved that Tambo jumped on this considering how many teams are looking for this kind of player right now

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Agreed 100%.

The #6 defenseman will probably play at least half the season as #5 or maybe even higher as injuries, illness creep in.

Even if that doesn't occur, the #6 will most likely play in 100% of the games (barring injuries, illnesses etc.)

He also pushes down Peckham, Potter, Fedun, etc. which means that our defense instantly improves a little bit.

And adds toughness to a team that is desperate for it.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:07 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Low risk, moderate reward trade. Good move.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote