DAL trades Mark Fistric to EDM for 2013 3rd Round Pick

Old
01-14-2013, 10:41 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
No, but I agree with you. Get to work on those other guys.

Sorry that was directed at Dirty Kari, was just quoting your post to agree with it.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:18 AM
ElGuapo
Cheese

Vincour- I've seen him as a guy who can flat out play..Great guy in the bottom six. He's big and can protect the puck. If he turns into a top six guy, AWESOME!(looking less likely) If not, well it's obvious that he can play a big role in the bottom six and probably on the PK. I'd rather have young home drafted guys like that than crappy spare parts like Peterson, Barch, and guys from a couple years ago whose names I can't even remember. Most players you draft won't be top six/top pairing guys. You don't toss them just because of that.

ElGuapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Because I feel like being depressing this morning:

So that's the last of the Niskanen/Grossman/Fistric triumvirate. The young D who were going to lead the next generation of Stars teams.

I wonder if in 2020 we'll be spinning off Larsen/Oleksiak/Nemeth for middling picks.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:16 AM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post

So that's the last of the Niskanen/Grossman/Fistric triumvirate. The young D who were going to lead the next generation of Stars teams.

I wonder if in 2020 we'll be spinning off Larsen/Oleksiak/Nemeth for middling picks.
it's like when the triple-j's (jason, jamal, jim) were dismantled on the mavs. my guess is there wasn't a toni braxton equivalent involved.

to address the defensive depth, one thing to consider is what's left on free agency. perusing the list here, there seem to be some #6/7 options if necessary. commodore, huskins, and o'donnell jump out at me as possible temporary band-aids. foster and vandermeer are signed already elsewhere.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:20 AM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:

Was thinking that too last year when we traded Grossman.

I wasn't following prospects back then, did Grossman/Fistric ever look as good in the AHL as Oleksiak and Larsen have?

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:25 AM
BigG44

Quote:

Heika is in the same mood this morning.

Quote:
But we have been here before, all flush with excitement about a new group of young defensemen. So, before we go rushing headlong into ecstacy, that’s something to keep in mind on a frosty morning when you drink from the coffee cup of perspective.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:55 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
it's like when the triple-j's (jason, jamal, jim) were dismantled on the mavs. my guess is there wasn't a toni braxton equivalent involved.

to address the defensive depth, one thing to consider is what's left on free agency. perusing the list here, there seem to be some #6/7 options if necessary. commodore, huskins, and o'donnell jump out at me as possible temporary band-aids. foster and vandermeer are signed already elsewhere.
Huskins and White could be good options, but I doubt Dallas goes that route.

Tyler Sloan hasn't looked amazing in Austin, but I think he's looked better coming back from injury. He has nearly 100 NHL games, and in an extreme injury situation he's fine along with Maxime Fortunus for short term fill ins.

That gives you Oleksiak likely as the 8th, and you have 9-11 options in Nemeth, Fortunus, and Sloan.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:15 AM
BigG44

Although if Wade Redden hits the market as rumors are suggesting, I could see Dallas taking a Souray-like Flyer on a guy banished to the AHL. It'll be interesting to see if the league bends the compliance buyout rules as has been suggested.

He's a bigger guy, but he's not going to proved much of a physical presence. He's mobile with good puck moving skills though, at least in the past, and that's the kind of player Dallas tends to prefer.

They have the cap space to give him a one-way contract, waive him, and allow him to get up to speed in the AHL. If he doesn't look like he can cut it, you didn't waste much money.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Was thinking that too last year when we traded Grossman.

I wasn't following prospects back then, did Grossman/Fistric ever look as good in the AHL as Oleksiak and Larsen have?
They looked like pretty average prospects during their time in the A.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
piqued

You watched them in Iowa?

Old
01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
You watched them in Iowa?
I followed Fistric from his Giants days, and I watched Grossman scouting reports constantly.

Did buy like... 20 Iowa games to watch Neal back then as well.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Although if Wade Redden hits the market as rumors are suggesting, I could see Dallas taking a Souray-like Flyer on a guy banished to the AHL. It'll be interesting to see if the league bends the compliance buyout rules as has been suggested.
Well the team did have interest in Redden the last time he was a free agent. Sure it was different GM's, but one of them is still with the organization...

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Well the team did have interest in Redden the last time he was a free agent. Sure it was different GM's, but one of them is still with the organization...
Yep, I remember that. LOL @ Avery being the "safe pick" in that instance.

01-15-2013, 02:24 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Yep, I remember that. LOL @ Avery being the "safe pick" in that instance.
Avery was the backup. They were fully in on Redden, but they couldn't match Rags money. Avery was an unfortunate result of being outbid.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
And it turns out, Redden and Avery needed to be traded for one another. (Well, should've been).

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
BigG44

GMJN seems to be committed to Benn and Dillon on the roster right now, but I can't help but think a 1 year reintroduction to the NHL contract to Redden could be a good thing for both parties.

Maybe the tweaks to Larsen and Rome today push him in this direction.

Dillon should still be on the roster, but Rome getting pushed to 7 and Benn to 8 is a good solution and helps depth.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I think Redden has still got it. I'd take him.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
looking at the new nhl/nhlpa agreement concerning these early buyouts, i'm totally down for signing redden to something reasonable. from what i can tell, the dude's still gonna make the millions from the prior bad contract even if he signs elsewhere. to re-prove his nhl value, the new team would likely get a discount.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:02 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
looking at the new nhl/nhlpa agreement concerning these early buyouts, i'm totally down for signing redden to something reasonable. from what i can tell, the dude's still gonna make the millions from the prior bad contract even if he signs elsewhere. to re-prove his nhl value, the new team would likely get a discount.
He get's 100% of his $5 million salary this year.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
i'll miss the big hits, but i won't miss him getting out of position and getting burned because he's looking for a big hit.
I don't remember that happening as often as other Stars' fans. I think that's sort of an exaggerated perception..

My beef with Fistric is that he sometimes laid great hits (i think that's even a little exaggerated) but didn't do other stuff a physical D should do. Like preventing forwards from posting up in the crease, or dominating puck battles along the boards, or just getting a push or lean on a Thornton or Kopitar type and keeping them out of scoring areas.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
The fundamental disconnect here is that the Vincour detractors see him as a failed top-6 prospect while the Vincour supporters see him as a successful bottom-6 prospect.
For some reason, i wasn't aware that Vincour was only 22. That changes my opinion of him a bit, but makes me wonder why the organization brought him along so quickly as compared to the other (apparently) more talented kids from that draft.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:13 PM
piqued

Because he already had a big NHL body, a mature defensive game, and didn't have a high ceiling that could be ruined by playing too early.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(°o°)ϵ

Because he was ready... why else would they? We aren't the Islanders here.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:51 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Speaking in hearsay but...No, they weren't as good in the AHL as the new guys but they were never really viewed as having similar styles or potential as Oleksiak and Larsen. The most anyone ever hoped for out of Grossman or Fistric was elite shutdown ability.

I would point out though that most people view Grossman as a success story. His not being here anymore has more to do with contract status, incoming prospects, and timeline as to when this thing should be clicking on all cylinders than Grossman being a failed prospect. He's clearly not.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:51 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

Quote:
Because he already had a big NHL body, a mature defensive game, and didn't have a high ceiling that could be ruined by playing too early.
I agree with those first two, but I have a hard time believing that the organization was making a comment on his apparently low ceiling when they called him up to the big leagues.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote