Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Stadium names

Old
04-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Schalkenullvier*

vCash: 500
Stadium names

What are your most and least liked?

I love the Fritz-Walter-Stadion in Kaiserslautern because Fritz Walter is just a german football hero and the club has gone some difficult times financially where I'm sure it was tempting to seel the name rights, but they didn't.

Before they sold their rights, I loved the Westfalenstadion (Dortmund) and Ruhrstadion (Bochum) names. Nothing fancy, but classical.

My least favourite is the "Schauinsland-Reisen-Arena" in Duisburg. Duisburg is such a historical football sight and now they have the most laughable stadium name in german football.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:40 PM
cgf

Doesn't get any better than Die Alte Forsterei.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:57 PM
tobo

I like Estadio Azteca (Mexico), El Monumental (Buenos Aires) and Workers Stadium (Beijing).

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:55 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Playmobil-Stadion in Fürth annoyed me but when they changed the name to Trolli Arena I was at a loss for words.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Finnish your Czech
leafs are in the pla

vCash: 50
Sports Direct Arena used to be pretty bad, luckily for Newcastle fans they changed it.

I assume fans here in NA don't appreciate stadium names as much because they're already uesd to it, as most NA arenas and stadiums have corporate names.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:20 PM
tobo

Still, it doesn't get any worse than the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:21 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
Sports Direct Arena used to be pretty bad, luckily for Newcastle fans they changed it.

I assume fans here in NA don't appreciate stadium names as much because they're already uesd to it, as most NA arenas and stadiums have corporate names.
People do care. Detroiters value Joe Louis Arena and people aren't exactly enthusiastic about the likelihood of the new arena being called something like Amway Arena.

But the reality is that you can't stop it and people get used to it especially if a stadium/arena gets a sponsor name from the get-go. I know a lot of people including myself still say Westfalenstadion or Müngersdorfer Stadion rather than using the sponsored names, but with something like the Emirates Stadium or Allianz Arena i.e. something sponsored from the start, there aren't really many other reference points.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Finnish your Czech
leafs are in the pla

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
People do care. Detroiters value Joe Louis Arena and people aren't exactly enthusiastic about the likelihood of the new arena being called something like Amway Arena.

But the reality is that you can't stop it and people get used to it especially if a stadium/arena gets a sponsor name from the get-go. I know a lot of people including myself still say Westfalenstadion or Müngersdorfer Stadion rather than using the sponsored names, but with something like the Emirates Stadium or Allianz Arena i.e. something sponsored from the start, there aren't really many other reference points.
Yeah, you're definitely right. I wouldn't be surprised in about 50 or so years, almost all stadiums will be called by a brand name, as a lot of the old stadiums will eventually be replaced by new stadiums.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:30 PM
tobo

We will evolve to a situation where all privately owned arenas will be named after a sponsor, but stadiums owned by municipalities? Naah, those will still have a traditional name.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:50 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
We will evolve to a situation where all privately owned arenas will be named after a sponsor, but stadiums owned by municipalities? Naah, those will still have a traditional name.
Not so fast, my friend. The formerly named Müngersdorfer Stadion, now RheinEnergie-Stadion is owned by the Kölner Sportstätten GmbH, a private company in name but in fact owned and controlled by the city. The Commerzbank-Arena in Frankfurt is also owned by a company which is owned by the city. In other words, municipalities have created subsidiaries to run these stadiums and those subsidiaries then sell the naming rights - after all municipalities usually need money.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:00 AM
tobo

hmm, the first two examples that popped into my mind were my hometown stadium in Bruges and the stadium in Milan. Both arenas are shared by two clubs though.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:17 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
What are your most and least liked?

I love the Fritz-Walter-Stadion in Kaiserslautern because Fritz Walter is just a german football hero and the club has gone some difficult times financially where I'm sure it was tempting to seel the name rights, but they didn't.

Before they sold their rights, I loved the Westfalenstadion (Dortmund) and Ruhrstadion (Bochum) names. Nothing fancy, but classical.

My least favourite is the "Schauinsland-Reisen-Arena" in Duisburg. Duisburg is such a historical football sight and now they have the most laughable stadium name in german football.
Allez, allez ... allez, allahh ... der FCK ist wieder daaaa! I have many wonderful memories of the Betzeberg!

Everyone still calls it Westfalenstadion and Ruhrstadion (certainly nobody uses rewirPOWERSTADION or whatever Bochum's stadium is called). I visited Duisburg but didn't think it was remarkable ... why is it so special?

I like any stadium named after a famous person ... Bernabeu, Mestalla, Luzhniki, Giuseppe Meazza. Parc de Princes in Paris is great. La Bombonera in Buenos Aires also sounds fun.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:52 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Yeah, you're definitely right. I wouldn't be surprised in about 50 or so years, almost all stadiums will be called by a brand name, as a lot of the old stadiums will eventually be replaced by new stadiums.
Many of them got their name from the district they are located in, which often isn't even the official name (see San Siro). In most cases there is nothing to stop us from using the old name, especially when the corporate name is likely to be outdated after just a few years.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Allez, allez ... allez, allahh ... der FCK ist wieder daaaa! I have many wonderful memories of the Betzeberg!

Everyone still calls it Westfalenstadion and Ruhrstadion (certainly nobody uses rewirPOWERSTADION or whatever Bochum's stadium is called). I visited Duisburg but didn't think it was remarkable ... why is it so special?

I like any stadium named after a famous person ... Bernabeu, Mestalla, Luzhniki, Giuseppe Meazza. Parc de Princes in Paris is great. La Bombonera in Buenos Aires also sounds fun.
The stadium is nothing special but Duisburg is one of the more historic and known clubs in Germany, not to mention Bundesliga founding member.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Quote:
Estadio Azteca (Mexico)
This, and the Estadio da Luz (Lisbon)

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Theon
Fear the Beard

Portugese stadiums are the best. My favorite is the one in Braga.

Aviva Stadium in Dublin is also great.

Theon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:24 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
I kind of like it too.....

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Ceremony
I will swim

vCash: 24000
Quote:
Ah yes, the Discount Tracksuit Thunderdome.

It's always struck me as funny how you have two major stadia called the Stadium of Light, one that Benfica play in, a team who've won European Cups and had people like Eusebio playing for them and then the other that houses... Sunderland.

“It’s embarrassing. I’m embarrassed to be here right now. It’s not even funny. And it’s just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. It’s not how you’re going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:37 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Greenock Morton's Cappielow - not sure why I like it

Been to games a few times, always good fun but not the football

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:24 PM
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZ View Post
Portugese stadiums are the best. My favorite is the one in Braga.

That stadium is awesome! Beautiful!

CRSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:25 PM
gary69

Quote:
Still, it doesn't get any worse than the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville.
Hey now, Ben Stiller must be a regular visitor there

I always hear the Shaktar stadium name as dumbass arena.

In this day and age when English is the global language, I don't think that's a very good name for a stadium for a club of that stature.

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:39 PM
gary69

I don't like when stadiums are named after non-football people (Graz's Arnold Schwarzenegger comes to mind, luckily they've since changed it).

I know it's an unofficial name, but Benfica's Estadio da Luz probably always have had the most appealing name to me. It's just comes out very effortlesly, but still dignifiedly, out of your mouth.

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Caramel

That Braga stadium is amazing

Caramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:36 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Marina Bay, Singapore – The whole stadium ‘floats’ in the sea. The surface alone can bear the weight of more than 9000 people and the gallery around it can host 30,000 people. Shows the technical development that the Stadiums have gone through over the years. Truly a magnificent piece of work.

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:33 AM
Ceremony
I will swim

vCash: 24000
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Marina Bay, Singapore – The whole stadium ‘floats’ in the sea. The surface alone can bear the weight of more than 9000 people and the gallery around it can host 30,000 people. Shows the technical development that the Stadiums have gone through over the years. Truly a magnificent piece of work.

Yeah, but what happens if someone takes a bad shot and the ball gets punted into the water?

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote