Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Slopo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
that's terrible reporting.

It's been rumored for a while, but nothing has gone through yet.
So who wants to talk now?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...dallas?cc=5901

Quote:
Stoke has completed the 2.5 million-pound ($3.96 million) signing of United States winger Brek Shea from FC Dallas, hours before the January transfer window closed.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:48 PM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I disagree.

Adding doesn't make it better, improving the squad does....

The 6 week loan of Thierry Henry did more for that squad than it will ever get credit, not to mention Arsenal weren't in 6th, hadn't sold their best player to Man Utd of all places, and that player is now leading them to the title.

Arsenal are in 6th....way worse shape than last year, with a worse squad....

It's all about expectations, but I'm finished ranting about it.
I think this transfer window did feature an improvement to the squad. Nacho is pretty good - and addition by subtraction. When we have him, we don't have to play Santos, and we can also let Vermaelen play CB with Kos, with Per's form fading a bit here. He's also a bit more defensively dependable than Gibbs, who has been good pushing the play forward, but is still susceptible to horrendous offside and defending decisions.

Obviously, it would have been nice to add the CB that we wanted to add along with Villa - but you know it's extremely unlikely that Barca will let him go in the winter window. The CBs we were targetting declined to move until the summer. As for MF... I'm not sure about Diame myself. Especially when we play Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, with Diaby, Rosicky in, along with Arteta, Coquelin on the return, it is realistically a bit of a jam, even if you don't buy the Wenger kool-aid.

Things definitely are not rosy, I'll say that. But at least he's addressed a critical weakness - and Nacho is not a panic buy. It was a planned buy, pushed up by the Gibbs injury, but it was a planned buy.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:54 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Not surprised to see Shea gone.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Edonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Short memory. Biggest signings last winter were Papiss Cisse, Alex, Thiago Motta. Pretty sure that was trumped this time.
2 years removed from Carroll, Dzeko, Torres, etc.

That's still sharp in my mind.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:29 AM
les Habs

Monreal is a quality left back. Played well against us in that 3-1 win over Malaga a week or two back. He's had a good La Liga career. From what I've seen he's well rounded, solid at the back and definitely capable getting forward. I think he'll fit in well at Arsenal. Not a bad price either.

Of course Arsenal could/should have spent more this window. Wenger for me is a great manager, but he just sits back way too much when it comes to transfers. Now to an extent I can see where he's coming from this window. They're only 4 points off the CL place while Newcastle is 4 points from the drop zone, and I know before the latest matches Newcastle was even closer to the drop zone. So I can see where Wenger is coming from, but had he gone after the likes of M'biwa or M'Vila, assuming they're as good as advertised (at least the former anyway as the latter looks good), then he's still improving the team and adding quality depth.

Don't know if I said a few days back or not, but is it me or shouldn't Coutinho be 24 by now? Feel like the kid has been around forever.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I disagree.

Adding doesn't make it better, improving the squad does....

The 6 week loan of Thierry Henry did more for that squad than it will ever get credit, not to mention Arsenal weren't in 6th, hadn't sold their best player to Man Utd of all places, and that player is now leading them to the title.

Arsenal are in 6th....way worse shape than last year, with a worse squad....

It's all about expectations, but I'm finished ranting about it.
On 1st February 2012, Arsenal drew 0-0 at Bolton. That result left them with the following record:

Played 23, won 11, drawn 4, lost 8, goals for 39, goals against 33, points 37

Their league position was seventh and they were five points behind the team in fourth, with inferior goal difference.

Granted, they then embarked on a run of nine wins from ten games, but compared with this very day twelve months ago, Arsenal are one place higher, one point nearer to fourth place, they have lost fewer games, scored more goals and conceded less. They have better goal difference than the team in fourth.

I don't mean to try and say that Arsenal fans have nothing to complain about. I wouldn't deny that Arsene Wenger has a permanent case of beer-goggles with some of his players, especially goalkeepers and defenders. Yet, judged purely in terms of results they aren't worse off than they were twelve months ago, for all that they've lost the sainted Van Persie (and Song) and failed to spend a hundred billion dollars.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:30 AM
villevalo

I feel sorry for Odemwingie, sounds like he got ****ed over by a few people on this.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:37 AM
villevalo

Wenger said that there was another transfer on the cards late last night but the club in mention in the end didn't want to get the deal done.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Foppa

I'm shutting up because Monreal was more quality than I was expecting to be honest.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopo View Post

The report, "citing anonymous" sources, is TERRIBLE REPORTING.

I said nothing about the move not happening, as that was what Shea and his agent were pushing for.

ESPN soccernet is garbage as far as breaking reports. They'll do crap like repost blog rumblings. Or say crap like 'anonymous' sources say Ronaldo is going to PSG.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
I feel sorry for Odemwingie, sounds like he got ****ed over by a few people on this.
There's no way I'm going to feel sorry for a player who went over to QPR without a deal done and tried to take the building under siege until he got in. No way at all. I'm glad this player power nonsense finally got nipped in the bud.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
DGen

Spurs Stat Man ‏@SpursStatMan

Quote:
Norwegian team in the 8th divison put in a bid for Beckham, offering him a sports bag and a button http://i.imgur.com/F2bYPbf.jpg
Retweeted 48 times

Old
02-01-2013, 12:48 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Wow haha

Old
02-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGen View Post
Spurs Stat Man ‏@SpursStatMan

I'll bet he responded to them, and thanked them for the interest. He's a class act, and that's pretty cool that they at least sent an offer haha.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
Wenger said that there was another transfer on the cards late last night but the club in mention in the end didn't want to get the deal done.
Was Capoue. Toulouse didn't want to sell until summer. Villa matter was rejected a few days ago, even though offer was in. Barca really didn't want to sell until summer.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:47 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Juventus made a bid for Parma’s Ishak Belfodil as their January search for a new striker continues.

The Old Lady contacted the Gialloblu last night to enquire about the availability of the 21-year-old.

Parma’s €20m asking price was deemed as excessive by the Turin giants, who offered Fabio Quagliarella in exchange.

The Stadio Tardini outfit subsequently asked for Quagliarella and €13m.

The Turin giants are hoping for a straight swap deal which would see each player move on loan until the end of the season.

Belfodil, born in Algeria, has scored seven goals this term. Quagliarella has seven as well.

Juventus is still gonna go after Belfodil in summer though

Old
02-01-2013, 07:10 PM
les Habs

Two smaller moves:

-Cuenca loaned to Ajax for the remainder of the season. Just recovering from injury and no room for him at Barça unless he were to drop to the B team.

-Madrid picked up Casemiro from... I think Sao Paulo. Rated prospect who has thus far disappointed from what I understand. He'll play in the Castilla side. Loan with option to buy. Probably a smart move. Can help the Castilla side who is just a few points above "the drop zone" and if he works out could be a first team player someday.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:14 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Newcastle made a bid for Nkoulou turned down by OM. They are definately targeting some future great players.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:07 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Kovačić is our biggest talent since Boban and Prosinečki. He and Halilović represent the new generation of our football movement. He's got a very bright future ahead of him and I wish him the very best except when he plays against Milan. Inter got a gem in him.

Good luck and thanks for everything you did for Dinamo Mateo.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:11 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

List of all EPL, Championship, League 1 & 2 and Scottish transfers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21287435

Old
02-03-2013, 02:57 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Quoting Evilo from the other transfer thread "I don't think he (Remy) has played 3 games in a row for a year."

He made it through 2 games and is now out with a hamstring problem. 'arry says torn hamstring. Could be out a while if that's true.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:08 AM
Evilo

Hahahaha.
I'm laughing but frankly, it's sad.

The guy's talented, but he just can't be healthy.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
I'm shutting up because Monreal was more quality than I was expecting to be honest.
Hes right behind Jordi Alba in Spain's LB depth chart. What did you expect? I didn't think he would be a "Short term replacement" for the injured Gibbs. I serriously think that hes a long term solution (For 3 or 4 years), where he can rotate with Gibbs, but play the important games that have solid right-sided players, as he is a defensive stud first and foremost

Old
02-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Evilo

And now Rémy might be out for the year and OM are making out like bandits.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
And now Rémy might be out for the year and OM are making out like bandits.
Great call man. I figured he'd at least get 10 games in.

Closed Thread