Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Winter 2013 Transfer Rumors & Moves II

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 03:40 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

vCash: 500
Arsenal Insider; Always predicts the Teams starting XI before Arsenal announce it. (Even the random times that Coquelin and Gnabry started out of the blue)

Quote:
Geoff Arsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal
Arsenal have made a £30m bid earlier today.
Quote:
Now that, is intent.
Quote:
I never thought that would happen under AW. I am as surprised as you.
Won't mention who it is though, so I'll take it with a grain of salt (AFC done paying for the Emirates Stadium, so the 30Million pounds is not as crazy as it normally would sound). When asked by someone "I don't understand why he[Geoff] doesn't give the name!!, he replied "Its obvious"
Either hes taking a guess, and will not mention who it is to keep all the chips on his side and say "I told you so" if something happens, either he doesn't want to mention it so that nobody in the clubs suspects him.

Only player I could guess is Fabregas, who instagram'd this picture today. Don't really get his caption though

Last edited by LaurentHabs: 01-16-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I don't think Cesc is on the bench right now either, so could be.

edit - Never mind, Cesc is playing.

Last edited by Cin: 01-16-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
It is. Guardiola didn't make the choice to go to the toughest league with the toughest road to glory.

Just saying. Doesn't make the way appear that much tougher. I think the perception of the Bundesliga isn't all that accurate over the last few years, in that regard.

Quote:
Bayern officials are a whiny committee that is directly responsible for the creation of the disaster that's called CL.
They are probably the most consistent critics of the governing bodies in soccer, with their corruption and focus on money. There isn't much in European competition that works the way they'd create it.

Quote:
They're frankly a bunch of guys I hate (as officials, they were great players).
I kind of got that impression. To be honest, I wouldn't even blame you. I'm not blind enough to not see they can (and often do) come over incredibly cocky, and often they willingly do. They live the game and especially for the club, though, and when they feel an issue is worth fighting for even if it comes with looking like a complete ******, they'll get their face dirty and fight for it, verbally as that's needed at that level. But yeah, based on that, I don't blame anyone for actively disliking them. That said, I don't really think you know their idea of the game.

Quote:
In any case, they do hole a big responsability for their team being hated as it is.
It's not very hated, actually. It's immensely hated in Germany, sure, that comes with being the best in a country. Not different than with United in England. For a long time, it was a little lonelier at the top in Germany, so the national dislike from other teams was likely a little more united on Bayern, but that's hardly surprising or evidence of the club actually doing something wrong that others didn't.

But if you look at England, for example, Bayern isn't hated a lot, at all. If you look at the big boards for United or Liverpool, there's a ton more sincere respect for a "well-run club" than any hate. The only exception in that regard is City, which isn't shocking, with our board's outspoken opinions on sugar-daddy clubs, and Manchester City specifically as we met them last year.

[QUOTE=Evilo;57687443]The point was that Munich being a nice city is certainly not an argument when the competition was London, Paris, Milan (I'll give you Manchester ).[/qute]
Okay, Manchester is easy to give up there. I still don't think London is necessarily better than Munich. As I said, it's a very different style. I enjoyed my short stints in either city greatly. It's like the European version of New York vs. Boston, I'd say. Both have a rather different appeal.
And with Paris and Milan, I don't think they really were competition when you factor in the more basic criteria for a club (I'm sorry if I come of like a dick, again ). I just don't see how a coach like him would go to the Serie A right now, compared to EPL or the Bundesliga, but that may just be me. (I don't think it's nearly "just" me, though, judging by the amount of international feedback I've read today.)

I didn't mean my enumeration of Munich's/Bayern's qualities to say that it's the very best option in every regard, I meant that as a package, and I'd still say that this package wasn't inferior to any one that was available.

Quote:
It proves nothing, since we don't even know if Bayern will go through next round. What if they fail? Going one more round proves they're better but losing the CL doesn't count?
Even if that's the way it went - we tied (!) Chelsea for 120 minutes, while dominating in scoring chances, and lost on penalties. How is that less important in deciding who's the superior team now than even only making it one very basic round further than Chelsea today? I really don't get that.

Quote:
No it's not a difference when you spend the money.
That's where people disagree. Everyone has their principles. Guardiola certainly has some, too.

Quote:
Money has the same smell if it's qatari or german.
People get that heart-warming feeling like it's actually smelling good when they worked hard to earn it. It doesn't have any smell, whatsoever, when it's just dumped on you.

Quote:
Guardiola chose a rich team, and it was obvious he would. Bayern is a rich team, Barca, United, City, Chelsea, PSG are rich teams.
Bayern is also buying its title because they're more powerful than others financially. It's quite simple.
They earned their situation. That's what makes it simple. Chelsea didn't. City didn't. PSG didn't. You can try to rationalize that all you want. If you don't see that difference, I'm not going to be able to open your eyes on that. But don't believe it doesn't mean anything, when it does to most people.

Quote:
Of course, everyone would rather have money from someone else than sugar daddies, but it doesn't change anything to the fact they're winning the league as heavy favourite because quite simply, they can buy themselves the Riberys, Robbens, etc...
Bayern didn't start up as a money-and-success-making perpetuum mobile. When the Bundesliga was installed, they had to start from the 2nd league. It didn't just fall into their laps. And making money of winning isn't as easy as you make it sound there. There just aren't many examples of teams being able to pull this off the way they did.

Quote:
Instead, he chose the easy way. What will he have in Munich that he didn't have in Barcelona? Nothing. It's a poor man's Barca.
Well, I'm not going to be able to sell you on it, but for all I've heard, he quit with Barcelona because of the politics that came from above. I'm sure it will be disputed, but Bayern's front office is actually very easy to work with, unless you're an egomaniac like van Gaal. The atmosphere at the club is incredibly familial for a top level club, that's what all players say, including the foreign ones, and it's a part of the reason why you don't see many leave as long as they are playing, even when the bigger leagues came knocking. Also, I think the media in Germany is not nearly as aggressive as it is in Spain, which can be a huge factor in being able to enjoy that job.

I'm fairly sure Pep took his time weighing his options for months, and his main focus wasn't on where he'd have it the easiest. If he wanted things easy, he could stay on his couch for a while. Or gone back to Barca, actually. And we already know this wasn't the most lucrative option financially, either.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:18 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I don't think Cesc is on the bench right now either, so could be.

edit - Never mind, Cesc is playing.
People on Twitter are speculating. Most common name is Cavani, but makes no sense cause I believe his release clause is over 40 million pounds. The other hot name is Gotze, who apparantly has a 30 million pound release clause. But 1)Why would Gotze come to Arsenal & 2) Dortmund already(supposedly) turned down Arsenal last year for a Gotze move 3) Arsenal don't need another Attacking mind.

Starting to sound very skeptical, but I trust Geoff Arsenal, so I guess we'll see. The bid has to get accepted to start with anyways.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Omnomnomnom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
People on Twitter are speculating. Most common name is Cavani, but makes no sense cause I believe his release clause is over 40 million pounds. The other hot name is Gotze, who apparantly has a 30 million pound release clause. But 1)Why would Gotze come to Arsenal & 2) Dortmund already(supposedly) turned down Arsenal last year for a Gotze move 3) Arsenal don't need another Attacking mind.

Starting to sound very skeptical, but I trust Geoff Arsenal, so I guess we'll see. The bid has to get accepted to start with anyways.
You can always use players of Gotze's quality. With that being said, it's hard to believe that it would be him.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:26 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
You can always use players of Gotze's quality. With that being said, it's hard to believe that it would be him.
Thing is Wenger said "Our squad is pretty fully, we have spotted the areas where we need a player, and we will try to find someone to fit in the bill. We don't want average players though, we someone that can bring something special" (Approx, On Arsenal player this week). So If he follows up with his logic, I can't see it being an Midfielder, has to be a forward

Old
01-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Omnomnomnom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Thing is Wenger said "Our squad is pretty fully, we have spotted the areas where we need a player, and we will try to find someone to fit in the bill. We don't want average players though, we someone that can bring something special" (Approx, On Arsenal player this week). So If he follows up with his logic, I can't see it being an Midfielder, has to be a forward
Fair enough. Still interested in who this is going to be.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:30 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
Fair enough. Still interested in who this is going to be.
Looks like Geoff Arsenal was spot on. A couple of minutes ago; after the Swansea game

Arsène: "We're working very hard to get something done. Will I spend big? Yes of course. It doesn't depend on money, it depends on talent."

Old
01-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
The constant transfer rumors around Sneijder and Liverpool are a little unsettling, but there is a positive regarding such a move. If it really does happen, I don't think he fits in the team, and of late (when he was allowed to play) he hasn't been very good. But there is a distinct lack of ambition in our transfer targets, which doesn't send a good sign to players like our Luis. So would taking an 8m punt on a name player to appease our best player be a good move? Absolutely. Do I think he'd help the team over the long run? Probably not, but there is a chance he, Suarez, and Gerrard link up and it's absolute magic. Quite the conundrum, but I don't expect the deal to happen. We have the means to do it, but doesn't seem to go in line with anything we've done for years.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:14 PM
SteelCitySaviour

Send a message via AIM to SteelCitySaviour
Sneijder wants London, not Liverpool. he's hoping for spurs.

Liverpool isn't a destination anymore. he definitely would be deadly with suarez though...much better than anyone in that mid field

Old
01-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
The only destination in football now is money. I hope he does go to an Arsenal or Spurs because he's not that good anymore, but let's not act like Sneijder wouldn't go to anyone who paid his wages. Cause he would in a heartbeat, and probably will when he goes to Turkey.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Foppa

Spuds can have Sneijder I don't think Arsenal would pay his wages anyways.

So about this mystery bid from the Gunners...surely at that price we aren't talking about a center back or a defensive midfielder (I mean, even a good young one like Lars Bender...would he really cost that much?). Which is kind of sad because we freaking need help in those areas...I hope whatever this fuss is about (maybe nothing...could be more hot air) doesn't impede adressing those areas.

And I agree with the comment about our midfield being "full" in Wenger's mind even though it would be sublime if we were looking at a real star young talent such as Gotze or Isco.

So forward? Cavani or Falcao? Would one of those guys be open to coming to Emirates? Would Arsenal pay the wages they could get at City, Chelsea or PSG? A guy to really replace RVP who can be counted on to bang in goals for fun would certainly be a welcome addition.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
Spuds can have Sneijder I don't think Arsenal would pay his wages anyways.

So about this mystery bid from the Gunners...surely at that price we aren't talking about a center back or a defensive midfielder (I mean, even a good young one like Lars Bender...would he really cost that much?). Which is kind of sad because we freaking need help in those areas...I hope whatever this fuss is about (maybe nothing...could be more hot air) doesn't impede adressing those areas.

And I agree with the comment about our midfield being "full" in Wenger's mind even though it would be sublime if we were looking at a real star young talent such as Gotze or Isco.

So forward? Cavani or Falcao? Would one of those guys be open to coming to Emirates? Would Arsenal pay the wages they could get at City, Chelsea or PSG? A guy to really replace RVP who can be counted on to bang in goals for fun would certainly be a welcome addition.
Falcao or Cavani cost MUCH more than 30m.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
My guess is that Arsenal didn't bid 30m on anyone. What I think is that somebody else besides QPR bid on M'Vila and will get him. Maybe, very possibly Arsenal. If not, wouldn't the deal be done?

Old
01-16-2013, 06:58 PM
gary69

Fiorentina might be willing to sell Jovetic for 30m.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:59 PM
SteelCitySaviour

Send a message via AIM to SteelCitySaviour
Spuds, eh? at least they're moving in the right direction. you're dreaming if you think arsenal is getting a splash player. maybe 30 million on two players, but they won't pay the wages on someone worth 30 million. they need a goalie, an entire defense line, and a mid that isn't a midget or a complete puss, not a big striker.

wilshere cazorla and arteta are good enough to set up podolski giroud and walcott. they need big help though everywhere else. very pedestrian behind those guys

Old
01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The constant transfer rumors around Sneijder and Liverpool are a little unsettling, but there is a positive regarding such a move. If it really does happen, I don't think he fits in the team, and of late (when he was allowed to play) he hasn't been very good. But there is a distinct lack of ambition in our transfer targets, which doesn't send a good sign to players like our Luis. So would taking an 8m punt on a name player to appease our best player be a good move? Absolutely. Do I think he'd help the team over the long run? Probably not, but there is a chance he, Suarez, and Gerrard link up and it's absolute magic. Quite the conundrum, but I don't expect the deal to happen. We have the means to do it, but doesn't seem to go in line with anything we've done for years.
As you said, Liverpool and Arsenal are both in the same situation. The situation is we need young players to compete for a title couple years from now, so this makes no sense to me.

If 30 million pound rumour is true for Arsenal, whoever it is, it's a really good player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
Could be considering there were Jovetic to Arsenal rumours at the beginning of the window. That would be a solid move.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:32 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

AC Milan News ‏@Milanello

Milan will try to sign Belfodil. Galliani inquired about him and Parma said they aren't willing to sell now (could happen in the summer).

Old
01-16-2013, 08:44 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

United should sign Sneijder.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:11 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
no that shipped has sailed

Old
01-16-2013, 09:12 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
It's 2013, not 2010.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:32 PM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
I don't think there's any chance Viola is selling Jovetic in this window. It can't be Cavani either. He's going to cost more than 30m + that he have spoken of this goal that he wants to achieve before leaving Napoli, no one really knows what it is but some think it's winning the Scudetto.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Wow on qpr landing remy

Old
01-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Karim Benzema maybe?

Striker in the 30 million range. Torres maybe?

Old
01-17-2013, 01:54 AM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
Karim Benzema maybe?

Striker in the 30 million range. Torres maybe?
wouldn't it be funny if Wenger finally made so many Arsenal fans wishes about spending some money come true only to pay 30m for Torres

Closed Thread