HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SJ Maple Leafs new name is.....

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2005, 06:02 PM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
I have to ask.
Why would they tell you and mess before leaking it to the media or officially announcing it?
If it was old NEWS, we'd know about it prior to the March 1 article since we spend so much time on hockey websites.

There are a couple other HF Leaf members that do too.

Old
03-01-2005, 06:11 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
If it was old NEWS, we'd know about it prior to the March 1 article since we spend so much time on hockey websites.

There are a couple other HF Leaf members that do too.
Well thats no fun.
Here i was hoping you were John Ferguson Junior Junior(JFJJ) and mess was John Ferguson Senior Senior(JFSS).

Old
03-01-2005, 06:14 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
Well thats no fun.
Here i was hoping you were John Ferguson Junior Junior(JFJJ) and mess was John Ferguson Senior Senior(JFSS).

I shine JFJ's boots and Mess is the chauffeur.

Old
03-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:

I shine JFJ's boots and Mess is the chauffeur.
Really? You'd think at his age Mess would be nearing the "legally blind" point.

Old
03-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Has it really?

Because had it been old, and known for months... I'm sure the Messenger and I would have known about it.
it was in the paper here before christmas. check out some old posts, i've been calling them the marlies for months.

guess you're not as plugged in as you might think.

Old
03-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
it was in the paper here before christmas. check out some old posts, i've been calling them the marlies for months.

That is were you are mistaken ..

At Christmas during the time the Baby leafs played at the ACC

MLSE said that the Name the Team was down to 5 options based on fan polls ..

Marlies, St Pats, Hogs, Aces, Baby Leafs, Buds were the final 6 off the top of my head on the short list for selection ..

They also said they hoped to get a few more focus groups together and the Final winner would announced in the Spring or in the near future

The official announcement came today that Marlboros was the final Winner ..

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1101855015804&call_pag eid=968867503640&col=970081593064&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7Ch AX&tacodalogin=yes

Last edited by Mess: 03-01-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old
03-01-2005, 07:09 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:

That's mighty strange since the COO of MLSE said that the new name and look would be presented in the next week.

You would think the COO knows a little more about the situation than Hankie.

Old
03-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Frankie

it was in the paper here before christmas.

you're good at checking old posts, i'll bet you can find a few where i called them the marlies. it was because i knew that was their name.

they had the name picked since they were at the acc in early december. they even had a press conference scheduled, but they had to cancel it because they didn't understand the players pre-game routines.

i guess someone from the baby leafs told the paper here about it.

Old
03-01-2005, 07:21 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
it was in the paper here before christmas.

you're good at checking old posts, i'll bet you can find a few where i called them the marlies. it was because i knew that was their name.

they had the name picked since they were at the acc in early december. they even had a press conference scheduled, but they had to cancel it because they didn't understand the players pre-game routines.

i guess someone from the baby leafs told the paper here about it.
So it was in a smalltown Newfy paper... than it must've been official.

Old
03-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Frankie

Quote:
So it was in a smalltown Newfy paper... than it must've been official.

here i am taking the high road again.........

smalltown compared to the toronto sun or toronto star, but the telegram covers the baby leafs a lot closer. and i would think the baby leafs staff knew the name a while ago.

official or not, turns out the smalltown paper had a scoop that was right.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...4&page=5&pp=15

post number 65. january 26th.

Old
03-01-2005, 07:44 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
here i am taking the high road again.........

smalltown compared to the toronto sun or toronto star, but the telegram covers the baby leafs a lot closer. and i would think the baby leafs staff knew the name a while ago.

official or not, turns out the smalltown paper had a scoop that was right.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...4&page=5&pp=15

post number 65. january 26th.
Since most of the fans on this forum don't live in Newfoundland, it's NEWS to us.

Old
03-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Since most of the fans on this forum don't live in Newfoundland, it's NEWS to us.
yes, obviously it is. that's why i said you aren't as plugged in as you might think.

old news to me.

Old
03-01-2005, 07:48 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
yes, obviously it is. that's why i said you aren't as plugged in as you might think.

old news to me.
Nobody takes Joe Morehead or Danny McFlaskers of the Newfy Times seriously... but if you can, post a link to the story.

I know the Telegraph has a website, it would be nice to have a link to the scoop.

Old
03-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Nobody takes Joe Morehead or Danny McFlaskers of the Newfy Times seriously... but if you can, post a link to the story.

I know the Telegraph has a website, it would be nice to have a link to the scoop.
what's with the insults? you just can't stand to be wrong, can you?

if you knew the guys who write for the telegram, you'd have the utmost respect for them. they're really quite excellent. they're taken very seriously by everyone. they write for national papers as well, and the hockey news. but as usual, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. hell, brenden mccarthy who covers the leafs isn't even from newfoundland, so you might as well drop that bigoted angle now.

the website is www.thetelegram.com

but you have to pay to see all the stories.

i don't know what more evidence you need, or why you want it. i told you i knew the name, i showed you where i said the name over a month ago, and it turns out to be the right name! unless mike zeisberger is wrong?

Old
03-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Crossroads*

Frankie, are you actually a Leaf fan or a closet Hab fan?

Old
03-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Frankie

sounds like the leafs are preparing already to move the team out of toronto.

the oshawa marlies.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1044442957278

Old
03-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Douggy

Quote:

the oshawa marlies.

Requires Registration.

Old
03-06-2005, 07:16 PM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Requires Registration.
I found that out too.

Old
03-09-2005, 11:16 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:

the oshawa marlies.

Oshawa would draw more than Newfoundland.

Either way, Oshawa would be an okay pick since it's relatively close for development. I don't think Leaf fans care whether or not the Marlies draw 10,000 a game... as long as the prospects are playing closer to HQ.

Old
03-09-2005, 11:29 PM
richardn

Quote:
Oshawa would draw more than Newfoundland.

Either way, Oshawa would be an okay pick since it's relatively close for development. I don't think Leaf fans care whether or not the Marlies draw 10,000 a game... as long as the prospects are playing closer to HQ.
Do you really think Oshawa could draw 6,000 a game. I am not sure if they could unless they are abandoning the Oshawa Generals. The attendance would be along the same lines as Newmarket if they were in Oshawa.

Old
03-09-2005, 11:34 PM
hosehead

I don't think the MLSE involvement with the proposed Oshawa development necessarily means they want the AHL team there ... Oshawa can't support the OHL & AHL. If the new arena is built the assumption is that the Generals would be able to stay -- if the Leafs forced tha Generals out of town & put their AHL team there I believe there's no way in hell the AHL team would survive.

MLSE is smart -- they know a good deal when they see it, an Oshawa complex could attract medium range concerts & entertainment acts the way the Hershey Center in Mississauga does. Don't forget MLSE blocked Eugene Melnyk from buying MLG for St Mikes because they didn't want him to be able to use MLG to stage concerts that were too small for the ACC but too big for clubs.

Old
03-09-2005, 11:34 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Do you really think Oshawa could draw 6,000 a game. I am not sure if they could unless they are abandoning the Oshawa Generals. The attendance would be along the same lines as Newmarket if they were in Oshawa.
Do you think that article has anything to do with the Marlies? Read it... saying Oshawa could draw 8,000 makes as much sense as saying the Leafs are looking to move the Marlies to Oshawa.

On a related note, Oshawa's drawing around 3,000 people a game... with the worst hockey team in all of junior hockey. The Marlies would draw atleast 5,000 a game if they were to move to Oshawa, which is a massive "if" because there's no trace of evidence that MLSE is even contemplating such a move.

Old
03-09-2005, 11:49 PM
richardn

Quote:
Do you think that article has anything to do with the Marlies? Read it... saying Oshawa could draw 8,000 makes as much sense as saying the Leafs are looking to move the Marlies to Oshawa.

On a related note, Oshawa's drawing around 3,000 people a game... with the worst hockey team in all of junior hockey. The Marlies would draw atleast 5,000 a game if they were to move to Oshawa, which is a massive "if" because there's no trace of evidence that MLSE is even contemplating such a move.
I never read the article. I just don't think the team would do that well in Oshawa. Oshawa is a big hockey town but to small to support an AHL and OHL team. But we all know that the Oshawa Generals are not going any where. 3000 a game is really good considering their team. I am just trying to make the point in this whole debate is that MLSE has pulled one over on St. John's. The move has nothing to do with attendance it is all about what JFJ wants. I bet if Quinn were still GM the Baby Leafs would still be here in St. John's. The fans out here have been supporting them for years with not much to cheer about. Then they build a new arena for the team and they pull the team . The bottom line is that the team would have been fine to leave here, its just not what the organization wants. I bet if they were not being pulled at the end of this season, the attendance figures this season would be sell outs on the weekends and near sellouts during the week.

Old
03-09-2005, 11:58 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
I never read the article. I just don't think the team would do that well in Oshawa. Oshawa is a big hockey town but to small to support an AHL and OHL team. But we all know that the Oshawa Generals are not going any where. 3000 a game is really good considering their team. I am just trying to make the point in this whole debate is that MLSE has pulled one over on St. John's. The move has nothing to do with attendance it is all about what JFJ wants. I bet if Quinn were still GM the Baby Leafs would still be here in St. John's. The fans out here have been supporting them for years with not much to cheer about. Then they build a new arena for the team and they pull the team . The bottom line is that the team would have been fine to leave here, its just not what the organization wants. I bet if they were not being pulled at the end of this season, the attendance figures this season would be sell outs on the weekends and near sellouts during the week.
Frankly, it seems like few Leaf fans care about keeping the team in St. John's if there's a chance to improve future player development with a move to Ontario.

It's a business.

Newfoundland is not exempt from it. Even if it was out of their control, the people need to stop whining and get over it. It's the AHL, teams don't stay around forever.

Old
03-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Frankly, it seems like few Leaf fans care about keeping the team in St. John's if there's a chance to improve future player development with a move to Ontario.

It's a business.

Newfoundland is not exempt from it. Even if it was out of their control, the people need to stop whining and get over it. It's the AHL, teams don't stay around forever.
frankly, moving to toronto is going to be devastating to player development. sheds could not wait to get the team out of there a couple of weeks ago.

it sure is a business. nice to see rich peddie admit that its all about getting control of more facilities. hopefully that puts the "better development" talk to rest.

and as for the whining, it seems like you don't want to let it die.

oshawa would draw more than Newfoundland.

first of all, that's wrong. second of all, that was an attempt by you to goad me and others into another scrap.

you're complaining that there's too much fighting, but you're leading the league in instigators.

Closed Thread