HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXXII

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
Just like last year, we need to win games by having a never quit attitude, and by outscoring the opposition. We were 4th in NHL scoring last season so we can do it again as we added some skill (Regin + Latendresse + Silfverberg vs Foligno + Konopka + Winchester/Butler). The style of game that PM has this team playing helps in that regard... We sacrifice a bit of defense but it's a much more exciting brand of hockey to watch

We have goalies that can be solid or win games by themselves. No big deal if our defense is not Elite this year, we are still in our way to contention

We'll lose Gonchar next year but we will have :

Karlsson, Cowen, Methot, Wiercioch, Ceci battling for the top-4
Phillips, Gryba, Borowiecki, Claesson, etc battling for the bottom 3 spots

If we ADD a top-4 veteran (like Edler for example), defense would look great. For my part, I think Wiercioch is going to be good

The 2 most important pieces are Karlsson and Cowen, if they can dominate opposition, it allows others to be better, because of less pressure and better match-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
HF considers Ottawa's defense below average

Your really over rating Phillips and Gonchar. At this point Phillips is more of a #5.
Makes sense, but not the "worst defense by far in the NHL" like some posters have stated in the last few weeks

Dramaqueenism is it called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I know Sens fans like ragging on Gilroy, but he was far from the worst player in the league.

Bad with us? Sure. But far from the worst.
Exageration power, or bias because he was traded for golden boy Lee?

Old
01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Just like last year, we need to win games by having a never quit attitude, and by outscoring the opposition. We were 4th in NHL scoring last season so we can do it again as we added some skill (Regin + Latendresse + Silfverberg vs Foligno + Konopka + Winchester/Butler). The style of game that PM has this team playing helps in that regard... We sacrifice a bit of defense but it's a much more exciting brand of hockey to watch

We have goalies that can be solid or win games by themselves. No big deal if our defense is not Elite this year, we are still in our way to contention

Karlsson, Cowen, Methot, Wiercioch, Ceci for the top-4
Phillips, Gryba, Borowiecki, Claesson, etc for the bottom 3 spots

If we ADD a top-4 veteran, defense could look great. For my part, I think Wiercioch is going to be good

The 2 most important pieces are Karlsson and Cowen, if they can dominate opposition, it allows others to be better, because of less pressure and better match-ups

Makes sense, but not the "worst defense by far in the NHL" like some posters have stated in the last few weeks

A+ post.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Yeah, Phillips really stepped it up in the second half last year. I guess it's been so long some people forgot.
i doubt there were many as critical of Phillips as me, and even ill tell you he was a lot more Phillips of old in the 2nd half. if we get that guy back this year we'll be in good shape.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Nizzy

Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie)
CGY puts Henrik Karlsson and Irving Leland on waivers

Everyone knows Lehner is ready Murray could have window 2 trade Bishop and claim a goalie on a 2way for Bingo Dont it Murray

Old
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:

Karlsson, Cowen, Methot, Wiercioch, Ceci battling for the top-4
Phillips, Gryba, Borowiecki, Claesson, etc battling for the bottom 3 spots

If we ADD a top-4 veteran (like Edler for example), defense would look great. For my part, I think Wiercioch is going to be good

Good post however I don't see Ceci making the NHL next year let alone challenging for a spot on the top 4. I think he is still a few years away.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
General Granny*

I wonder what HF thought of our top 6 before the season started last season.

Michalek- Spezza- Butler
Foligno- DaCosta/Regin- Alfie

Palmieri is on waivers, still only 23 years old, putting up good numbers in the AHL, still has potential of being a power forward in this league or at worst a 3rd-4th liner.

Last edited by General Granny*: 01-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Phillips would be a Norris winner if he played every game like it was his 1000th.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie)
CGY puts Henrik Karlsson and Irving Leland on waivers

Everyone knows Lehner is ready Murray could have window 2 trade Bishop and claim a goalie on a 2way for Bingo Dont it Murray
hmm, I want us to claim Henrik Karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
A+ post.
Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
Good post however I don't see Ceci making the NHL next year let alone challenging for a spot on the top 4. I think he is still a few years away.
You're probably right but who knows what a year of development could do? However, it's only a half-year of development so yeah... damn lockouts

I still hope he will make things difficult for the Sens brass...

Old
01-17-2013, 12:21 PM
God Says No

Quote:
hmm, I want us to claim Henrik Karlsson
why? if we claim him he has to stay on the main roster. and we already have anderson and bishop.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
and Lehner...

Old
01-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Yeah, Phillips really stepped it up in the second half last year. I guess it's been so long some people forgot.
Yep, to me Phillips is still a valuable asset and a good top 4 defenceman. I'm pretty confident that the organization sees this also.

I wouldn't mind Huskins, but again, I'm only looking for a depth defenceman right now until we can see what we have. It's going to be an interesting half season.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Daffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Yep, to me Phillips is still a valuable asset and a good top 4 defenceman. I'm pretty confident that the organization sees this also.

I wouldn't mind Huskins, but again, I'm only looking for a depth defenceman right now until we can see what we have. It's going to be an interesting half season.
I still think Robidas is a possibility. I continue to hear rumours about Ottawa and Dallas talking, and the Stars could use the cap space for Benn.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:19 PM
General Granny*

Its a crime that Gryba didn't get a camp invite while Boro did, or they should have brought both.

Gryba leading the team with +19 and is 3rd in the league in +/-, leading over guys like Paul Ranger, David Savard, Holzer (Has more points than Holzer while playing less games), could skate, physical and big body that we are lacking with Cowen gone and losing Carkner, he fits the 3rd pairing hole better than Boro in my mind. (Has a great shot too)

Old
01-17-2013, 01:19 PM
newerabegins

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Its a crime that Gryba didn't get a camp invite while Boro did, or they should have brought both.

Gryba leading the team with +19 and is 3rd in the league in +/-, leading over guys like Paul Ranger, David Savard, Holzer (Has more points than Holzer while playing less games), could skate, physical and big body that we are lacking with Cowen gone and losing Carkner, he fits the 3rd pairing hole better than Boro in my mind. (Has a great shot too)
and hes a real good pool player too

Old
01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Adam Pardy and Brian Strait on waivers. Pardy could be a solid depth guy.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:29 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Ryan Parent was an UFA? Damn, that would have been a quality pick up as well.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Nizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
why? if we claim him he has to stay on the main roster. and we already have anderson and bishop.

The claim would stock up the depth (Ivring) we are going to have too trade Bishop sooner then later .. he wants too be a starter and too be honest that wont be here ..Andy starts till Lehner gets the green light

Trade Bishop and a pick ..and fill out are future top 4 Karlsson Cowen Ceci

Old
01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
The claim would stock up the depth (Ivring) we are going to have too trade Bishop sooner then later .. he wants too be a starter and too be honest that wont be here ..Andy starts till Lehner gets the green light

Trade Bishop and a pick ..and fill out are future top 4 Karlsson Cowen Ceci
Wouldn't the team have to waive Irving in order to send him down? If so, then the team would be carrying 4 goaltenders on the opening-day roster. What's the point of that?

Old
01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
So the team would carry 4 goaltenders on the opening-day roster? What's the point of that?
Superb goaltending depth the likes of which is rarely seen in the National Hockey League.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Northern Neighbour

I think Pardy would be a great pickup as a #5/#6 guy. He has good size, plays a pretty good defensive game, and has some offensive ability.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
The one thing I think prevents Ottawa from grabbing any of these waiver wire players is the fact that they want to give their own players a shot. Most of these guys are being waived because they did not make their NHL rosters. How does it look to Wiercioch/Boro/Benoit if you give some random fringe player the chance before them?

I don't see BM picking up anyone unless they really think the player will be a gem.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Theres a reason Pardy was waived by a team with pretty bad defense.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Ouroboros

Pardy's salary is way out of line with his ability.

A few people have mentioned Kent Huskins as an option, but he signed a PTO with Norfolk today. Figure the Ducks will probably sign him when he plays himself into shape.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Theres a reason Pardy was waived by a team with pretty bad defense.
I'd be fine with Pardy if he didn't have a 2M$ cap hit. That's alot for a #6/7 D. I would also rather have Huskins who will likely have a smaller cap hit.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
armani
Guy Likes

None of the available waiver/UFA defencemen are worth signing. None of them are substantially better than the bubble Bingo defencemen in the camp. The Bingo players have participated in camp, have played in the Sens system under Richardson thus far in 2012/2013, and at least deserve the opportunity.

PMac is always trying to instill chemistry within this group, something that works really well in Detroit. Close bunch of guys who are relatively young and can hopefully grow into their roles in the next few seasons.

Closed Thread