HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Willie Mitchell Had Knee Surgery

Old
01-14-2013, 04:54 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
I'll let Sutter do his thing before jumping off the boat. Give the team a chance to handle a little adversity before getting too crazy.
Ditto.

Lets just wait and see what happens.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I have a feeling this team is going to come out the gate very slow. Kopitar and Mitchell are huge losses.

Quick is usually a slow starter and I'm not expecting much from Doughty, Richards and Carter early on.
I have to assume Mike Richards knows how important he's going to be in the beginning of the season. I think we'll see a few big games from him early on.

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:25 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsation8 View Post
Move Stoll or Loktionov in a deal for Hjamaralsson
While Hjamarlsson would fill a hole on D, trading Stoll opens one down the middle.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Whiskeypete

to be honest the more i think about it, i'm not sure i would want Hjamarlsson. i watch a lot of Hawks games and the guy makes a lot of bone headed plays. makes quite a few bad reads that gets him caught out of position and unable to close gaps like he thinks he can. my buddy that is a Hawks fan sits and *****es about him more than any other Hawks dman.

the upside you can say is he is still young (25) and has only played 3 full NHL seasons, so there is room to learn/grow. he reminds me of Aaron Miller. to the point the actual skating style and how he carries himself, to me he looks like Miller. his style of play is very similar to Miller also - aggressive physically, shot blocker and always matched up against someone.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Pass on Hajlamrsson. His contract entends into next year and we need the cap space then. If we get anyone, it'll likely be a rental.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:55 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

That's rough... luckily LA has the depth to make up for it and Scuderi + Greener can step up. Also have Richards and Carter to fill in for Kopitar.

This organization has insane depth.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:04 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

We have tons of D that can take a shot why are some of you so hung up on signing players to replace him. We just let our younger D step in. We have to give them a shot some time. And Kopitar will be just fine he will probably start the first game or the one after.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here's the problem with replacing Mitchell... he logs over 22 mins of ice time, the only player to average more ice time during the reg. season was Drew Doughty. He was 2nd to Doughty during the playoffs as well, but he was seeing more ice time at 25+ mins. Sure, he played on the second pair with Voynov, but he was also the top defender on the PK (along with Greene).

If he's out for an extended period of time, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable seeing a fresh faced, inexperienced rookie, logging lots of minutes while the responsibilities and ice time of every other defender increases. We're not sure how much of a workload some of them can handle in a compressed schedule.

Hence the reason why it wouldn't hurt the team to bring in an extra defenseman who can step right in and play some big minutes (if necessary). I'm not comfortable in seeing Drewiske appear in a majority of the games.

As of yesterday, the D pairings appeare to be...

Scuderi-Doughty
Martinez-Voynov
Drewiske-Greene

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:25 PM
damacles1156

Bodnarchuck will win that spot in camp. He is a lot more smooth and polished than Muzzin.

All Muzzin has going for him right now is size. I would be shocked if the Kings keep him up.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
no name

The only way this is a big deal is if the kings come out and have a hangover for 3 weeks. Assuming the Kings make the playoffs this will only make Mitchell more rested for the playoffs.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:58 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Here's the problem with replacing Mitchell... he logs over 22 mins of ice time, the only player to average more ice time during the reg. season was Drew Doughty. He was 2nd to Doughty during the playoffs as well, but he was seeing more ice time at 25+ mins. Sure, he played on the second pair with Voynov, but he was also the top defender on the PK (along with Greene).

If he's out for an extended period of time, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable seeing a fresh faced, inexperienced rookie, logging lots of minutes while the responsibilities and ice time of every other defender increases. We're not sure how much of a workload some of them can handle in a compressed schedule.

Hence the reason why it wouldn't hurt the team to bring in an extra defenseman who can step right in and play some big minutes (if necessary). I'm not comfortable in seeing Drewiske appear in a majority of the games.

Scuderi-Doughty
Martinez-Voynov
Drewiske-Greene

If I remember correctly, Martinez/Voynov were usually paired together after a LA PK.. and it wasn't pretty to watch. I'm sure it could be said for any team, but when you lose one of your top 2 dman, the unit as a whole looks far less steady.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Ronk

What about Visnovsky? People seem to think that he only wants to come to Cali if hes NHL bound. Problem is that hes obviously a PMD so he doesn't fill the typical pairings we like to go for.

Ronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:46 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronk View Post
What about Visnovsky? People seem to think that he only wants to come to Cali if hes NHL bound. Problem is that hes obviously a PMD so he doesn't fill the typical pairings we like to go for.
I saw your post on the NYI board.

Isles need a solid, top 4 established d-man
. So, unless they are getting one back in exchange for Vis, I doubt Snow bites. He'll toll Vis contract and let the KHL/NHL/IIHF fight it out.

They have a glut of prospects, so no picks/prospects/forwards.

Newsday has comments from today's training camp. Both Cappy and Snow made statements that make it clear, that they don't want their own inexperienced top youngsters learning on the job, in the 48 game rush. Nino/Nelson/Donovan are all being left in the AHL.
Staples who covers them for Newsday, thinks Strome will be sent back to juniors. So, since they aren't willing to take the lumps with their own inexperienced prospects, I don't see them wanting another team's inexperienced youngster in a key spot.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Throw a few picks for Murray.

Im happy with not doing anything. Mitchell has been injured before, and now we dont have the walking disaster in Johnson to find a partner for.

Just match Scuds-Drew against all top lines. Give A-Mart-Voynov, the soft offensive minutes, and let Drewiskie/Greene take the middle ground, just ensure they are on the ice with the top 2 lines a lot

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Lombardi just said on FSW that defensive depth is a concern with Mitchell out and made it aware that they're going to take a look there.

So I guess he isn't as satisfied as some posters are with what they have right now on D with Mitchell missing an extended period of time.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:45 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Id give Bodnarchuk a chance, I dont like DD44 and Muzzin.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
Just thinking of the positives, when they come back it will be a HUGE addition.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

Scuderi-Doughty
Martinez-Voynov
Drewiske-Greene
When it's printed out like that, our need becomes pretty apparent. It looks so much less brass-ballsy without Mitchell pushing everyone but Doughty down a peg.

Never thought I'd say this, but what's Sheldon Souray's phone number?

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:15 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
When it's printed out like that, our need becomes pretty apparent. It looks so much less brass-ballsy without Mitchell pushing everyone but Doughty down a peg.

Never thought I'd say this, but what's Sheldon Souray's phone number?
Try the OC phone book...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Move Richardson or Muzzin or Loktionov for some d depth.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
Martinez-Voynov worries me.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:56 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Some short term options to consider as Mitchell's replacement...

Jordan Leopold (BUF)
Roman Hamrlik (WSH)
Brett Clark (UFA)
Mark Eaton (UFA)
Kent Huskins (UFA)
Colin White (UFA)

Only two real trade options on the list with four UFA defensemen who wouldn't cost anything, except for roster and cap space.

Darryl Sutter is familiar with Leopold, having had him as part of his team during the Flames Cup run. He could serve as a decent 2nd pairing defenseman and be a good insurance policy to have around the team should any defenseman be banged up. Certainly a better option than Davis Drewiske.

The Capitals have a 8 signed defensemen and is another former Darryl Sutter player as part of the Flames from 2005-2007.

Mark Eaton would probably be the best free agent option. He was a teammate of Rob Scuderi on the Cup winning Penguins roster and he was paired with a young offensive minded defenseman back then: Kris Letang. Eaton is also a veteran leader and could serve a role that is similar to Mitchell. Although he averaged a little over 16 mins of ice time last season, he's hovered around 19-20 minutes in previous years.

I'd say the another good option to play the middle pairing would be Brett Clark. He's appeared in all 164 games over the past two seasons for the Lightning. He's averaged 18+ minutes and could be that veteran defense partner that the Kings could pair with Voynov until Mitchell returns. He'd also be an upgrade as the 7th defenseman on the roster.

I wouldn't be as confident in giving Huskins or White ice time on the second pairing.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Martinez-Voynov worries me.
meh, with soft minutes they would crush, and playing Sutter's system, could probably handle 2nd pairing minutes comfortably

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
How about Theo Peckham from Edmonton. He had a solid season in 2010-2011 but struggled last season. But lets be honest, what players, especially defenseman, don't struggle on Edmonton. He's physical, and fights as well.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:37 AM
Martyros

It's a 48 game game season, not the type of year to be giving the youngsters "a shot" unless they show they are ready in the 6 day training camp.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote