HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Sabres set single-day ticket sale record

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 08:14 AM
  #26
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Apparently there is now only 18,000 tickets remaining for the rest of the season, and they go on sale today at 10am to the public.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home

Would expect these all to be gone by sometime today, if not in a few hours.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:23 AM
  #27
berklon
Registered User
 
berklon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
And if the Buffalo fans didn't come out like this, people on here would be saying that they're not good fans and not a strong hockey market.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't sometimes on this site.
You know what's a double standard - people keep saying that Buffalo is such a great market but in the same breath they say that Hamilton getting a team would hurt Buffalo - which tells me it's not a strong market.

I'd like to know if it's a strong market and can survive a team in Hamilton, or not a strong market and can't survive a team in Hamilton. It's one or the other.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:25 AM
  #28
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Great to see this...
exactly! full stop.

well done sabres! well done buffalo!

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:12 AM
  #29
RoryDelap
SCFC 1863
 
RoryDelap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stoke-on-Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,417
vCash: 500
There is **** all to do in Buffalo. I'm not surprised in the slightest.

The most depressing and gloomy city I've ever been to... next to Detroit. Do anything to take your mind off it.

And the atmosphere at Sabres games is great. Miss the Aud.

RoryDelap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:15 AM
  #30
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
There is **** all to do in Buffalo. I'm not surprised in the slightest.

The most depressing and gloomy city I've ever been to... next to Detroit.
Yes, the actual city is quite gloomy..but most season ticket holders/fans are coming from very very nice suburb areas like Amherst and Clarence. Lots of past Sabres players end up staying in these areas to raise their families.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
  #31
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
There is **** all to do in Buffalo. I'm not surprised in the slightest.

The most depressing and gloomy city I've ever been to... next to Detroit. Do anything to take your mind off it.

And the atmosphere at Sabres games is great. Miss the Aud.
what an ignorant and asinine thing to say.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:28 AM
  #32
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 131
Do we know how many of these tickets were bought by Canadians?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
  #33
RoryDelap
SCFC 1863
 
RoryDelap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stoke-on-Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
what an ignorant and asinine thing to say.
It's not often you see somebody defend downtown Buffalo...

RoryDelap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:40 AM
  #34
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
It's not often you see somebody defend downtown Buffalo...
well seeing as you claim to miss a building that was torn down 4 years ago and hasn't seen the sabres play in it for more than 16 years, im guessing you dont get out much.

so I would put your opinion of buffalo directly into the trash bin. but like most folks from toronto, please feel free to continue to offer your ignorant and critical opinions of the world outside the 416.

fwiw, there was a long discussion about the revitalization of the downtown detroit area in another thread here a month ago and your opinion of that place is equally outdated.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:46 AM
  #35
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
It's not often you see somebody defend downtown Buffalo...
Downtown Buffalo has a lot of architectural treasures. Early skyscrapers by Andrew Sullivan. Some great Art Deco buildings including City Hall.

Downtown is undergoing a bit of a revival. Lots of old industrial and commercial buildings being converted to loft apartments, condos, and trendy hotels. Lots of young professionals filling them up too. Demand for upscale housing downtown is pretty high.

Don't know what anyone would have against downtown Buffalo anyway. It's fine. All the slummy areas of the city are on the East and West sides. Not downtown.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
  #36
LongWayDown37
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Downtown Buffalo has a lot of architectural treasures. Early skyscrapers by Andrew Sullivan. Some great Art Deco buildings including City Hall.

Downtown is undergoing a bit of a revival. Lots of old industrial and commercial buildings being converted to loft apartments, condos, and trendy hotels. Lots of young professionals filling them up too. Demand for upscale housing downtown is pretty high.

Don't know what anyone would have against downtown Buffalo anyway. It's fine. All the slummy areas of the city are on the East and West sides. Not downtown.
Louis Sulllivan. and I wouldn't bother responding to the idiot. Buffalo is a great city. I wouldn't worry too much about a comment from some guy in Toronto - I'd take Buffalo and its beauty any day.

LongWayDown37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
  #37
DatsyukNumberOne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Impressive, especially when you consider population and how poor Buffalo is.

DatsyukNumberOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:19 PM
  #38
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
I wouldn't do that. I can't speak for others.

If tickets had gone on sale and NOBODY bought any, I would actually be praising the Buffalo market for showing some self respect. When I see reports of people swarming into practices, buying up tickets, buying up merchandise, they seem more like sheep than human beings.
Agreed.

It's embarassing to see even on here the hoards of people just handing over their $ to the NHL for game centre whether it be at $50 or $100 even though there are now alternatives available to anyone with a decent internet connection who doesn't wanna pay the NHL.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:25 PM
  #39
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
You know what's a double standard - people keep saying that Buffalo is such a great market but in the same breath they say that Hamilton getting a team would hurt Buffalo - which tells me it's not a strong market.

I'd like to know if it's a strong market and can survive a team in Hamilton, or not a strong market and can't survive a team in Hamilton. It's one or the other.
Why does Buffalo's market need to stop at the border? Are all the Candian fans "out of market" fans?

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:33 PM
  #40
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 500
I've attended the Bills season finale this year and while in the city, walked to Niagara First and happened to learn Rochester played a game there, got tickets but like 5 minutes before the game and after 30 minutes of sweet talk to the chick behind the counter. Great atmosphere and the building was FULL of Sabres fans (almost everyone had at least a hat or t-shirt.

Now, I do have to say that as a tourist, I visited the main things in Buffalo including the tallest city hall in North America (might be in the world as well) in about 36 hours. Had to spend day at the falls (both side of frontier) to pass time. No offence to anyone but after visiting Boston, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, New-Y, New-J, I was kinda disappointed, but I repeat, disappointed as a tourist. Tho, from the cities visited Buffalo is the smallest.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:04 AM
  #41
RoryDelap
SCFC 1863
 
RoryDelap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stoke-on-Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
well seeing as you claim to miss a building that was torn down 4 years ago and hasn't seen the sabres play in it for more than 16 years, im guessing you dont get out much.
Christ on a bike. Obviously I ment I missed seeing the Sabres play there. I saw my first game there. Quebec beat them 7-2.

The place dies when the energy dies. **** me, do you think I missed visiting an abandoned building? And you think I'm thick.

Quote:
so I would put your opinion of buffalo directly into the trash bin. but like most folks from toronto, please feel free to continue to offer your ignorant and critical opinions of the world outside the 416.
I spend a lot of time in Buffalo. It isn't very far if you've got a map. I recently spent a weekend there to see a concert at the Town Ballroom. I'm amazed I even remember the name seeing how I'm so ignorant. The people are nice but the place is depressing as hell. Why do you think they are trying to revitalize it? Because it's so great? And I hope it goes well because it would be good for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
fwiw, there was a long discussion about the revitalization of the downtown detroit area in another thread here a month ago and your opinion of that place is equally outdated.
I guess they're trying to revitalize Detroit because it's such a great place, aswell. Then again, I'm talking to somebody from Guelph who's idea of a downtown is probably a Mac's bloody Milk.

Keep walking...


Last edited by RoryDelap: 01-16-2013 at 01:11 AM.
RoryDelap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:11 AM
  #42
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
Christ on a bike. Obviously I ment I missed seeing the Sabres play there. I saw my first game there. Quebec beat them 7-2.

The place dies when the energy dies. **** me, do you think I missed visiting an abandoned building? And you think I'm thick.

I spend a lot of time in Buffalo. It isn't very far if you've got a map. I recently spent a weekend there to see a concert at the Town Ballroom. I'm amazed I even remember the name seeing how I'm so ignorant. The people are nice but the place is depressing as hell. Why do you think they are trying to revitalize it? Because it's so great? And I hope it goes well because it would be good for everybody.

I guess they're trying to revitalize Detroit because it's such a great place, aswell. Then again, I'm talking to somebody from Guelph who's idea of a downtown is probably a Mac's bloody Milk.

Keep walking...
hey man, you are the one who initially said buffalo was a wasteland, but when pressed by myself and others here you now admit you "spend a lot of time" there and lookie lookie, you actually found a couple of nice things to say about it. i stand by my initial post ... yours was ignorant and asinine. im happy to see you have rephrased what you meant.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:32 PM
  #43
JetsFlyHigh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 683
vCash: 500
Congratulations Buffalo!

That opens up the possibility of Southern Ontario to get an NHL team.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:05 PM
  #44
Ryan34222
Registered User
 
Ryan34222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
Congratulations Buffalo!

That opens up the possibility of Southern Ontario to get an NHL team.
HA! but i think you are forgeting about that team in Toronto?


nice to see Sabres doing well. i think.

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:53 PM
  #45
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 12,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Why does Buffalo's market need to stop at the border? Are all the Candian fans "out of market" fans?
The better question is, why should Buffalo's market extend past the border?

Niagara Falls and St. Catharines are not Buffalo's Windsor. These cities are not suburbs to their larger American neighbour, they are independent cities with independent economies. Significantly fewer residents commute to Buffalo daily than to Hamilton or Greater Toronto. Entertainment-wise, owing to its tourism industry, Niagara Falls is arguably just as big or bigger of an entertainment destination than the City of Buffalo. How many residents actually identify with Buffalo over their own city or even over Toronto? And if many do, why would the Sabres be concerned about a team in Hamilton (which the Sabres also claim as their territory, despite the city having no ties to Buffalo whatsoever)?

Combine this with the fact that the number one team in the region is clearly the Leafs, not the Sabres, and the fact that the Sabres have never cared to truly promote their brand (no TV broadcasts), I don't see why this region should be considered their market other than under the archaic terms of the NHL Constitution.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:13 PM
  #46
Leo W
Registered User
 
Leo W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 4,174
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
The better question is, why should Buffalo's market extend past the border?

Niagara Falls and St. Catharines are not Buffalo's Windsor. These cities are not suburbs to their larger American neighbour, they are independent cities with independent economies. Significantly fewer residents commute to Buffalo daily than to Hamilton or Greater Toronto. Entertainment-wise, owing to its tourism industry, Niagara Falls is arguably just as big or bigger of an entertainment destination than the City of Buffalo. How many residents actually identify with Buffalo over their own city or even over Toronto? And if many do, why would the Sabres be concerned about a team in Hamilton (which the Sabres also claim as their territory, despite the city having no ties to Buffalo whatsoever)?

Combine this with the fact that the number one team in the region is clearly the Leafs, not the Sabres, and the fact that the Sabres have never cared to truly promote their brand (no TV broadcasts), I don't see why this region should be considered their market other than under the archaic terms of the NHL Constitution.
They claim it to be their territory because they have STH from the Hamilton area. My grandfather being one of them as he was one of the first Canadian Sabres season ticket holders. Not sure why you insist on trying to bash Buffalo as a hockey market because they get people from St Catherines and Niagara Falls at their games.. They're 25-30 minutes away from each other.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:45 PM
  #47
Hamilton Tigers
Registered User
 
Hamilton Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
They claim it to be their territory because they have STH from the Hamilton area. My grandfather being one of them as he was one of the first Canadian Sabres season ticket holders. Not sure why you insist on trying to bash Buffalo as a hockey market because they get people from St Catherines and Niagara Falls at their games.. They're 25-30 minutes away from each other.
I don't think he's bashing the Buffalo hockey market. I think he's just giving an opinion of how that market relates to southern ontario.

No doubt Buffalo gets some people from St Catherines and NF to their games, but what we don't know is how many. It appears that Buffalo is not dependent on southern Ontario fans. WNYers are very strong supporters of the Sabres as is clearly indicated by the numbers of sell outs, STHs, STH waiting list, and very strong local TV ratings.

I've lived in Hamilton all my life ( over 50 years) and have never seen any sense of strong support for Sabres in this city. Not even close. I have never known any Hamiltonian who is a Sabres STH ( I'm sure there are some), and know of some hockey fans who go to the occasional Sabres game. I don't know any regular attendees. This is strong Leafs territory, and even a lots af fans of many other teams. (Don't know why, but I get the sense that Montreal and Boston are fairly popular here, and have been for decades). In my house alone we have a Leafs fan, a Habs fan, and a Red Wings fan.

At work (which is male dominated) there are many,many Leaf fans, several Habs fans, a few Bruins, one Flyers, one Blackhawks, one Red Wings, one Oilers, and no Sabres, which is a bit surprising really. All strong hockey fans, all play in a league, and none go to Bulldogs games. Sure it's anecdotal, but still somewhat telling I think.

I got the same sense recently from two colleagues who are lifelong hockey fans and St Catherines residents, who both note the inconvenience of the long border crossings, especially since 9-11.


Last edited by Hamilton Tigers: 01-19-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:07 PM
  #48
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 12,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
They claim it to be their territory because they have STH from the Hamilton area. My grandfather being one of them as he was one of the first Canadian Sabres season ticket holders. Not sure why you insist on trying to bash Buffalo as a hockey market because they get people from St Catherines and Niagara Falls at their games.. They're 25-30 minutes away from each other.
As HT notes, I am not bashing Buffalo as a hockey market, rather I'm questioning the notion that the Niagara Peninsula should be considered Sabres territory. I have yet to see any significant evidence that it is.

From what I can tell, there isn't a large base of Sabres fans in either Niagara Falls or St. Catharines, let alone Hamilton. Yes, the Sabres claim that "10 to 15%" of their season ticket holders come from Canada but from where (Fort Erie or St. Catharines? Niagara Falls or Hamilton?) and the exact number, they've never stated publicly.

While it is true that the NHL Constitution gives Buffalo territorial rights up to Hamilton (an area that mostly overlaps with Toronto's territory), it seems rather disingenuous to suggest that a team there would threaten the Sabres in any way.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:23 PM
  #49
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
And the story THAT tells (if your information is accurate) is the sabres are having somewhat of a hard time selling out their arena.

In the more popular markets the STHs would take up all 80K tickets, if for no reason then to resell them for more money.
absolutely wrong. The Sabres have no problem selling tickets. Buffalo is the best us hockey tv market and we actually go to our games.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:51 PM
  #50
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
As HT notes, I am not bashing Buffalo as a hockey market, rather I'm questioning the notion that the Niagara Peninsula should be considered Sabres territory. I have yet to see any significant evidence that it is.

From what I can tell, there isn't a large base of Sabres fans in either Niagara Falls or St. Catharines, let alone Hamilton. Yes, the Sabres claim that "10 to 15%" of their season ticket holders come from Canada but from where (Fort Erie or St. Catharines? Niagara Falls or Hamilton?) and the exact number, they've never stated publicly.

While it is true that the NHL Constitution gives Buffalo territorial rights up to Hamilton (an area that mostly overlaps with Toronto's territory), it seems rather disingenuous to suggest that a team there would threaten the Sabres in any way.
nonsense. a circle is a circle whether part of it crosses a border or not. linear distance from a center point is the universal metric of catchment. the extent to which a team at copps would threaten the sabres would be worked out in setting the indemnification fee.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.