HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Sabres set single-day ticket sale record

Old
01-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

vCash: 500
Sabres grossed over $2mil in just a week during their 50% off at the Sabres store.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Sabres grossed over $2mil in just a week during their 50% off at the Sabres store.
It would appear that Buffalo fans are definitely in favor of lockouts.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
In favor of hockey more like it.

All games almost sold out already
2mil in apparel sales in a week
22.3 local rating on NBC for Sunday's game

People here are just excited that hockey is back and it also helps that our new owner and president are awesome, fans absolutely love Pegula.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Western New York loves hockey. The lockout was annoying, but we found ways to pass the time, like playing hockey. Sorry our fanbase isn't holding a grudge because we missed 3 months of hockey.

If the best players in the world are playing against each other in our city, then we're watching them. Not because we're sheep to the NHL, but the love of the game.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Tekneek

Not about holding grudges. It's about whether you want lockouts or not. Regardless of the story you tell yourselves, coming back so easily and willingly is an endorsement of the owners locking players out every decade. They have no incentive to ever do anything differently.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:02 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Not about holding grudges. It's about whether you want lockouts or not. Regardless of the story you tell yourselves, coming back so easily and willingly is an endorsement of the owners locking players out every decade. They have no incentive to ever do anything differently.
rubbish.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
rubbish.
History supports my view. We'll see what the future tells. One thing is certain, they weren't worried about whether fans were going to come back or not. They won't be worried about it next time either, or the time after that. The only leagues that avoid stoppages are the ones where the market punished them.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:51 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
History supports my view. We'll see what the future tells. One thing is certain, they weren't worried about whether fans were going to come back or not. They won't be worried about it next time either, or the time after that. The only leagues that avoid stoppages are the ones where the market punished them.
If that was genuinely the case they would have nuked the season outright. I mean why not? It's the only leverage the PA had and if the fan reaction wasn't a consideration they'd have had nothing to lose.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
If that was genuinely the case they would have felt there was nothing to lose by nuking the season outright.
They did that last time. What made you think they were afraid to do it this time? We got a 48 game season, the same as the first of these three lockouts. I wouldn't consider that an improvement. This is status quo.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
examples? please provide specific information, including dates, teams, markets, measurement of "punishment", and of course the context of those labour disputes.

Quote:
They did that last time. What made you think they were afraid to do it this time? We got a 48 game season, the same as the first of these three lockouts. I wouldn't consider that an improvement. This is status quo.
an improvement for whom? owners? players? or are you talking about for the fans? where is it written that the league has any obligation to provide any added value to the fans?

if YOU resent the labour dispute, then you are free to not attend games, not watch broadcasts, not read the newspapers. but it is silly to expect that other people should behave in any specific way.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
examples? please provide specific information, including dates, teams, markets, measurement of "punishment", and of course the context of those labour disputes.
Specifically the NFL and MLB were punished by the market with significant attendance declines after most recent work stoppages. I will dig up evidence when I have spare time, if you're completely unaware (which seems disingenuous).

Quote:
an improvement for whom? owners? players? or are you talking about for the fans? where is it written that the league has any obligation to provide any added value to the fans?
It isn't written anywhere. Who said it was? It's a matter of people having any self respect or not. This is a league that is still driven by the money it receives from individuals. When they shorten seasons, and flush an entire one, through lockouts and you line up to hand money over you are endorsing their methods. No matter how you might want to personally spin it, the market is displaying an approval of the lockouts which will only help ensure more work stoppages in the future. You can already tell from comments around the league, they're way more concerned about the harm it does to their marketing partners than the fans. They take all of you for granted (as, apparently, they should).

Quote:
f YOU resent the labour dispute, then you are free to not attend games, not watch broadcasts, not read the newspapers. but it is silly to expect that other people should behave in any specific way.
I don't expect them to do anything. I'm just calling it what it is, and explaining what the consequences of it are. Look at recent history. The market didn't punish the league for the previous two lockouts. We got a third. Refusing to punish them for a third lockout will make them wary about doing it again? Seems highly unlikely.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:15 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
The fact that they got together and worked out a deal? If they truly didn't care the PA wouldn't have ever bothered sharing a room with the owners in the first place. If they apparently felt they had nothing to lose by wiping out another season why not just do it?

Old
01-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
The fact that they got together and worked out a deal? If they truly didn't care the PA wouldn't have ever bothered sharing a room with the owners in the first place. If they apparently felt they had nothing to lose by wiping out another season why not just do it?
They got close during 04-05 as well. There were major shifts in positions in both December and last ditch efforts to try and save the season going into February. Continuing to talk does not imply an unwillingness to flush the entire season, given that they continued to do it during the longest professional sports work stoppage ever (04-05 lockout).

Old
01-21-2013, 01:36 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
They got close during 04-05 as well. There were major shifts in positions in both December and last ditch efforts to try and save the season going into February. Continuing to talk does not imply an unwillingness to flush the entire season, given that they continued to do it during the longest professional sports work stoppage ever (04-05 lockout).
Which only further drives home the point that they had every opportunity to do so as leverage this time around fans be damned, yet didn't.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Which only further drives home the point that they had every opportunity to do so as leverage this time around fans be damned, yet didn't.
I never said they wanted to lock it out all season. I don't see any evidence that they were unwilling to do so.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Specifically the NFL and MLB were punished by the market with significant attendance declines after most recent work stoppages. I will dig up evidence when I have spare time, if you're completely unaware (which seems disingenuous).

It isn't written anywhere. Who said it was? It's a matter of people having any self respect or not. This is a league that is still driven by the money it receives from individuals. When they shorten seasons, and flush an entire one, through lockouts and you line up to hand money over you are endorsing their methods. No matter how you might want to personally spin it, the market is displaying an approval of the lockouts which will only help ensure more work stoppages in the future. You can already tell from comments around the league, they're way more concerned about the harm it does to their marketing partners than the fans. They take all of you for granted (as, apparently, they should).

I don't expect them to do anything. I'm just calling it what it is, and explaining what the consequences of it are. Look at recent history. The market didn't punish the league for the previous two lockouts. We got a third. Refusing to punish them for a third lockout will make them wary about doing it again? Seems highly unlikely.
The NFL lockout had no consequence on attendance. The MLB lockout caused a pretty big drop, but the situations were completely different. It was much uglier, lasted longer, and the players started striking a month before the playoffs. Which left fans extremely bitter towards them.

Point is, we lost less than a half season, we have a CBA that keeps the league healthier, and we have a 10 year agreement.

A more comparable lockout would be the NBA lockout. The fans stormed back once it ended.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:09 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
There is **** all to do in Buffalo. I'm not surprised in the slightest.

The most depressing and gloomy city I've ever been to... next to Detroit. Do anything to take your mind off it.

And the atmosphere at Sabres games is great. Miss the Aud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
It's not often you see somebody defend downtown Buffalo...
Its also not often you see someone who actually argues the downtown Buffalo area has any impact on Sabres ticket sales. I'm amazed anyone would be daft enough to think it does.

The overwhelming majority of STH and ticket buyers in general are suburbanites or Canadians that rarely see the downtown area or area around the FNC. So why exactly would they need to attend Sabres games to take their mind off the gloom of a neighborhood they wouldn't be entering otherwise? Very few people even live in the areas you're talking about.

The people that live in the Buffalo area, myself included, do things in or near the town we live in. Unlike when you visited for a concert and had nothing but time on your hands. We are working and involved with the activities of our families. The main focus of our life is the town or neighborhood we live in, particularly if we have kids. If we buy STH or any tickets its because we love hockey and can fit it into our schedule. Not because downtown Buffalo is gloomy. And yes the towns and neighborhoods we live in have plenty of things to do.

I'm a STH and live in Hamburg, NY a southern suburb of Buffalo. Most of my non-work time is spent coaching my 3 daughters in hockey and doing things around the town I live in. Because of that I can only attend about 8-10 games a year as a STH. That wouldn't change even if downtown Buffalo was the most incredible downtown ever.

I've never understood why people think ticket sales in Buffalo for the Sabres or Bills have anything to do with the state of downtown.

Btw I'm a City of Buffalo firefighter and I'm well aware of how bad large portions of Buffalo are.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Layne Staley

Great post JoshJull you hit the nail right on the head. And also thanks for yourself and your firefighter co workers risking your lives to keep our city safe.

Anyway, I love how people assume that the people who go to the game all live within the city limits I'd say 75+% of the attendees live in either the Suburbs or North Buffalo. I doubt too many East and West Side residents go to Sabres games.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
0point1
Own(er)ed

vCash: 450
Buffalo seems without a doubt the most passionate hockey market in the US. Who would be second? The third? fourth?

2 and 3 should have: good tv ratings, lots of season ticket holders, and sell outs.

0point1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:31 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
As HT notes, I am not bashing Buffalo as a hockey market, rather I'm questioning the notion that the Niagara Peninsula should be considered Sabres territory. I have yet to see any significant evidence that it is.

From what I can tell, there isn't a large base of Sabres fans in either Niagara Falls or St. Catharines, let alone Hamilton. Yes, the Sabres claim that "10 to 15%" of their season ticket holders come from Canada but from where (Fort Erie or St. Catharines? Niagara Falls or Hamilton?) and the exact number, they've never stated publicly.

While it is true that the NHL Constitution gives Buffalo territorial rights up to Hamilton (an area that mostly overlaps with Toronto's territory), it seems rather disingenuous to suggest that a team there would threaten the Sabres in any way.
I mean, I'm cool with Buffalo drawing fans across the border. However, I hope that doesn't hurt Hamilton's chances. Really, I think Toronto might be the bigger obstacle for Hamilton.

Honestly, I think Southern Ontario could eventually support three NHL teams.

1. Toronto
2. Hamilton (their territory would be Hamilton, Brantford, Burlington, and the Niagara Peninsula)
3. In about 35 years, Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo census metropolitan area (their territory would be SouthWestern Ontario; basically, Guelph, London and everything else in between -- Windsor would probably fall within Wings territory still). In about 25 years, the Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo area will have about 700K people; in about 35 you could probably reasonably add another 50-100K to that. Then it should be viable as an NHL market.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

"BUFFALO, N.Y. (January 24, 2013) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced that last week’s Fan Appreciation Sale at the Sabres Store helped to set up a week of record-breaking sales. Through the seven-day sale, the Sabres Store sold nearly 50,000 pieces of merchandise, the most the team has ever sold in such a short period of time and a total that was greater than the amount sold during the entire 2010-11 Sabres’ season."

"As part of the record volume of sales, the Sabres Store sold more than 8,000 jerseys and 9,000 hats."

This is sales for the store inside FNC Arena during the 50% off deal. I can't even imagine what the sales would have been if they were able to do the deal online..

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=652198

Last edited by Fire Lindy: 01-24-2013 at 03:15 PM.