HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: MLB owners approve interpretors on field

Old
01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
OT: MLB owners approve interpretors on field

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=413547

MLB owners have improved interpreters to go to mound with GM and/or pitching coach (to help players who don't speak/understand English well). Waiting on union to approve (for implementation this season).

I do sometimes wonder if without teammates who speak the language, if interpreters might help in hockey situations at times.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:01 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I had this entertaining image of teams scouring the ends of the earth to find a translator for Esa Tikkanen.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I had this entertaining image of teams scouring the ends of the earth to find a translator for Esa Tikkanen.
There's only one person that can understand Esa Tikkanen, and that's Esa Tikkanen.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:07 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
I'm surprised that this is just happening now. For example, we've had a Japanese influx of players the past 15 seasons or so and they come with their translators and they weren't able to communicate in their native language? Outside of Bobby Valentine, are there any current or recent managers that have a working knowledge of Japanese?

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:15 AM
premadonna

vCash: 520
I don't think language barrier is that big of a problem in hockey. Don't know about baseball but hockey isn't that tactical sport and I'm sure a guy like Evgeni Malkin knew excatly what to do on the ice even if didn't understand English too well. "Shoot", "pass", "left", "right" and you'll be all right.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:38 AM
MissouriBlues2008

I'm guessing this new MLB rule is more for the Japanese guys than anybody. Generally so many of the players and coaches are Spanish-English bilingual that they don't need a translator.

There are so many different languages in the NHL, though, that I'm not sure it would work for the NHL.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:19 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
I'm guessing this new MLB rule is more for the Japanese guys than anybody. Generally so many of the players and coaches are Spanish-English bilingual that they don't need a translator.

There are so many different languages in the NHL, though, that I'm not sure it would work for the NHL.
In addition to that a lot of organizations run English courses at their academies in the Dominican Republic as well so by the time the young players (16 or 17 at the time they sign) get to the States they know at the very least what their coaches are telling them.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
fism

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
I'm surprised that this is just happening now. For example, we've had a Japanese influx of players the past 15 seasons or so and they come with their translators and they weren't able to communicate in their native language? Outside of Bobby Valentine, are there any current or recent managers that have a working knowledge of Japanese?
Charlie Manuel, I believe. Played in Japan for years.

fism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

One of the great stories in baseball history involved the 1962 NY Mets. They had a washed-up Richie Ashburn in center and a young shortstop named Elio Chacon, who spoke no English. Chacon was eager to stay in the majors, so he'd play anything within a 100-foot radius. There were numerous collisions between Ashburn and Chacon, since Ashburn would call for the ball and Chacon couldn't understand him.

Finally, Joe Christopher (who was born in the US Virgin Islands) taught Ashburn how to yell "Yo la tango", which is Spanish for "I've got it!" The next game, there was a high fly ball between short and center, and Ashburn ran in on it, yelling "Yo la tango! Yo la tango!" Chacon backed off, and Ashburn was run over by left fielder Frank Thomas, who spoke no Spanish.

When he picked himself up, Thomas (who was a bit of a rube) looked down at Ashburn and asked, "What in the hell is a yellow tango?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:54 AM
scotchex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
One of the great stories in baseball history involved the 1962 NY Mets. They had a washed-up Richie Ashburn in center and a young shortstop named Elio Chacon, who spoke no English. Chacon was eager to stay in the majors, so he'd play anything within a 100-foot radius. There were numerous collisions between Ashburn and Chacon, since Ashburn would call for the ball and Chacon couldn't understand him.

Finally, Joe Christopher (who was born in the US Virgin Islands) taught Ashburn how to yell "Yo la tango", which is Spanish for "I've got it!" The next game, there was a high fly ball between short and center, and Ashburn ran in on it, yelling "Yo la tango! Yo la tango!" Chacon backed off, and Ashburn was run over by left fielder Frank Thomas, who spoke no Spanish.

When he picked himself up, Thomas (who was a bit of a rube) looked down at Ashburn and asked, "What in the hell is a yellow tango?"

Funny. Although you probably mean "Yo la tengo".

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:05 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
I don't think language barrier is that big of a problem in hockey. Don't know about baseball but hockey isn't that tactical sport and I'm sure a guy like Evgeni Malkin knew excatly what to do on the ice even if didn't understand English too well. "Shoot", "pass", "left", "right" and you'll be all right.
Or the classic :

Hey !

Followed by two stick taps on the ice.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote