HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: MLB owners approve interpretors on field

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,571
vCash: 500
OT: MLB owners approve interpretors on field

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=413547

MLB owners have improved interpreters to go to mound with GM and/or pitching coach (to help players who don't speak/understand English well). Waiting on union to approve (for implementation this season).


I do sometimes wonder if without teammates who speak the language, if interpreters might help in hockey situations at times.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:01 AM
  #2
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 11,356
vCash: 500
I had this entertaining image of teams scouring the ends of the earth to find a translator for Esa Tikkanen.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:04 AM
  #3
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I had this entertaining image of teams scouring the ends of the earth to find a translator for Esa Tikkanen.
There's only one person that can understand Esa Tikkanen, and that's Esa Tikkanen.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:07 AM
  #4
puckguy11
This Space for Rent
 
puckguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Somewhere in MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 774
I'm surprised that this is just happening now. For example, we've had a Japanese influx of players the past 15 seasons or so and they come with their translators and they weren't able to communicate in their native language? Outside of Bobby Valentine, are there any current or recent managers that have a working knowledge of Japanese?

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:15 AM
  #5
premadonna
Registered User
 
premadonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 520
I don't think language barrier is that big of a problem in hockey. Don't know about baseball but hockey isn't that tactical sport and I'm sure a guy like Evgeni Malkin knew excatly what to do on the ice even if didn't understand English too well. "Shoot", "pass", "left", "right" and you'll be all right.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:38 AM
  #6
MissouriBlues2008
Registered User
 
MissouriBlues2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
I'm guessing this new MLB rule is more for the Japanese guys than anybody. Generally so many of the players and coaches are Spanish-English bilingual that they don't need a translator.

There are so many different languages in the NHL, though, that I'm not sure it would work for the NHL.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:19 AM
  #7
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,895
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
I'm guessing this new MLB rule is more for the Japanese guys than anybody. Generally so many of the players and coaches are Spanish-English bilingual that they don't need a translator.

There are so many different languages in the NHL, though, that I'm not sure it would work for the NHL.
In addition to that a lot of organizations run English courses at their academies in the Dominican Republic as well so by the time the young players (16 or 17 at the time they sign) get to the States they know at the very least what their coaches are telling them.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
  #8
fism
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
I'm surprised that this is just happening now. For example, we've had a Japanese influx of players the past 15 seasons or so and they come with their translators and they weren't able to communicate in their native language? Outside of Bobby Valentine, are there any current or recent managers that have a working knowledge of Japanese?
Charlie Manuel, I believe. Played in Japan for years.

fism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
  #9
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,186
vCash: 500
One of the great stories in baseball history involved the 1962 NY Mets. They had a washed-up Richie Ashburn in center and a young shortstop named Elio Chacon, who spoke no English. Chacon was eager to stay in the majors, so he'd play anything within a 100-foot radius. There were numerous collisions between Ashburn and Chacon, since Ashburn would call for the ball and Chacon couldn't understand him.

Finally, Joe Christopher (who was born in the US Virgin Islands) taught Ashburn how to yell "Yo la tango", which is Spanish for "I've got it!" The next game, there was a high fly ball between short and center, and Ashburn ran in on it, yelling "Yo la tango! Yo la tango!" Chacon backed off, and Ashburn was run over by left fielder Frank Thomas, who spoke no Spanish.

When he picked himself up, Thomas (who was a bit of a rube) looked down at Ashburn and asked, "What in the hell is a yellow tango?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I had this entertaining image of teams scouring the ends of the earth to find a translator for Esa Tikkanen.

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:54 AM
  #10
scotchex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
One of the great stories in baseball history involved the 1962 NY Mets. They had a washed-up Richie Ashburn in center and a young shortstop named Elio Chacon, who spoke no English. Chacon was eager to stay in the majors, so he'd play anything within a 100-foot radius. There were numerous collisions between Ashburn and Chacon, since Ashburn would call for the ball and Chacon couldn't understand him.

Finally, Joe Christopher (who was born in the US Virgin Islands) taught Ashburn how to yell "Yo la tango", which is Spanish for "I've got it!" The next game, there was a high fly ball between short and center, and Ashburn ran in on it, yelling "Yo la tango! Yo la tango!" Chacon backed off, and Ashburn was run over by left fielder Frank Thomas, who spoke no Spanish.

When he picked himself up, Thomas (who was a bit of a rube) looked down at Ashburn and asked, "What in the hell is a yellow tango?"



Funny. Although you probably mean "Yo la tengo".

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:05 PM
  #11
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
I don't think language barrier is that big of a problem in hockey. Don't know about baseball but hockey isn't that tactical sport and I'm sure a guy like Evgeni Malkin knew excatly what to do on the ice even if didn't understand English too well. "Shoot", "pass", "left", "right" and you'll be all right.
Or the classic :

Hey !

Followed by two stick taps on the ice.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.