HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Sympathy For The Devil

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The TSN article? If the ownership of the leafs didn't run a media conglomerate pumping propaganda, I don't think Gillis would care.

The TSN article was another case of MLSE based spin, done by BELL and TSN. Article written by tsn.ca staff? Stand by your article?

They can't....

...they way they framed Gillis' quotes, is classic Toronto hype.

TSN has almost become unreadable.....they can't even stand by their writing. They make it sound like Gillis' requested the interview and got up on a soap box screaming....listen to the interview.

If only the other leaf fans could be like you....reading the comments in that article kills brain cells, so many uninformed people, its ridiculous.

Again, why are you're leaf fan brether, still so caught up in Lu....people write how much they don't want him, yet continue to follow the story with their 'fingers on the pulse'.....
This article.
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/18/gil...a-luongo-trade

Old
01-18-2013, 03:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Ok...sorry for the rant

Old
01-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I'm guessing the fact Burke likely had something to do with the "cap recapture" penalty in the new CBA might have helped cause this.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:45 PM
crazycanuck

Honestly I think the Leafs and their media stooges (cough cough Cox cough cough) are being ridiculous with their lowballing for Luongo.

Honestly how is Kadri, Bozak, 2nd too high for a top 10 goaltender in the league?

Old
01-18-2013, 03:47 PM
vanwest

Gillis today on the issue of whether he is asking too much for Luongo:

"When asked if he wanted too much in return, Gillis went at the media and the Leafs.
“Fair value is different for every team that you speak to because they have different players, they have different concerns and different contractual issues that play into what they have available that you might want,” Gillis said.

“The notion that we were asking for too much was floated in the Toronto media by a team that was extremely interested in acquiring Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn’t think was right.

“That’s nothing new in this business and it’s’ not the type of pressure that I’m going to succumb too.”"

Old
01-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Honestly I think the Leafs and their media stooges (cough cough Cox cough cough) are being ridiculous with their lowballing for Luongo.

Honestly how is Kadri, Bozak, 2nd too high for a top 10 goaltender in the league?
Well if it wasn't too high wouldn't you think the deal would've been done by now..

Old
01-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 50
Maybe Gillis thinks it's too low...

Old
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Well if it wasn't too high wouldn't you think the deal would've been done by now..
This is a fair question. If this is such a horrible offer, one would think that one of the other interested teams would have surely topped it.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
vanwest

Quote:
This is a fair question. If this is such a horrible offer, one would think that one of the other interested teams would have surely topped it.
Who says the Leafs offer hasn't been topped?
How about another fair question. How many tradess have there been?

Old
01-18-2013, 04:24 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
You know better than that.

You don't just compare the offer to what other teams are putting on the table....you compare it to its impact on your team.

He has not had an offer that surpasses the value of having Luongo as a backup.....clearly. Luongo to Bozak makes the Canucks a worse team. Luongo to Frattin makes the Canucks a worse team. Luongo to Kadri makes the Canucks a worse team.....etc.

If he had seen an offer that helped the team (that Luongo would also accept)...he'd have acted. It has a lot less to do with simply taking the highest offer or feeling like you have to. He has proven....beyond any doubt...that he is not simply going to take the best offer. After six months...I think people should take him at face value.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:38 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
One hot spot down(pre-season)

That leaves 3 more

10-15 games mark, with a playoff wannabe team struggling

Deadline

After amnesty buyouts, when teams have made space (Philly I'd Bryzgalov sucks)

That's not counting ubiquitous injuries.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I'm guessing the fact Burke likely had something to do with the "cap recapture" penalty in the new CBA might have helped cause this.
I don't want to believe it but it is very coincidental and if true, very damaging.

Edit: what do they call those things, smoking guns?

Old
01-18-2013, 05:20 PM
John Bender

Everytime I come to this site and see the Luongo thread dropping to about the 5th or 6th most popular on the list, I am overcome by feelings of melancholy. Another day of Luongo proposals

Old
01-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Well this is different. Dreger admits the deal is not particularly great. Paraphrasing:

Bozak - UFA; not that desirable as a result
Kadri - Unknown; Is he a center, a winger? Is he a good NHLer"
Pick - "And then there's a pick..."

Ferraro thinks we should aim for more quality, not quantity, and cites the Rangers as giving up quantity. In short, voice of reason is Ray Ferraro.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:44 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Well this is different. Dreger admits the deal is not particularly great. Paraphrasing:

Ferraro thinks we should aim for more quality, not quantity, and cites the Rangers as giving up quantity. In short, voice of reason is Ray Ferraro.
Dreger said this? Holy. Are him and Nonis having a fight with each other? Also, I agree with Ferraro. Would much rather one quality player, then a quantity of three crappy ones.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Crows*

Its possible gillis is waiting to see how Schneider performs as the number one before dealing Lu.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Its possible gillis is waiting to see how Schneider performs as the number one before dealing Lu.
I don't think so. I think the team has full confidence in Schneider.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Dreger said this? Holy. Are him and Nonis having a fight with each other? Also, I agree with Ferraro. Would much rather one quality player, then a quantity of three crappy ones.
He was mostly speculating from Gillis' perspective. He still believes that is the deal though. And yes, this is why I still think Lupul or Flash.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

I agree with Ferraro. First and foremost, make sure you get at least 1 excellent asset.

David Bolland would be the guy to target IMO. He's capable of playing on the 2nd line while Kesler is out and gives the Canucks ridiculous strength down the middle when healthy. We would have an elite 1st, 2nd and 3rd line centre. 4th too if Malhotra returns to form.

Chicago likely moves to the East next season. Besides, they don't match up well against the Canucks at all after that deal...

Old
01-18-2013, 05:58 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I agree with Ferraro. First and foremost, make sure you get at least 1 excellent asset.

David Bolland would be the guy to target IMO. He's capable of playing on the 2nd line while Kesler is out and gives the Canucks ridiculous strength down the middle when healthy. We would have an elite 1st, 2nd and 3rd line centre. 4th too if Malhotra returns to form.

Chicago likely moves to the East next season. Besides, they don't match up well against the Canucks at all after that deal...
I agree. I think Bolland is fair value. When Kesler comes back he is the perfect 3rd line centre and versatile enough to be used to PK and on the second PP unit. Guy has great defensive skills and good offensive upside.

However, if rumours are true, Gillis has already turned that down.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:00 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Luongo for Bolland is honestly the best case scenario. We solve our 3C problem and get a guy who can shutdown top lines and still produce well, and would have no trouble filling in for Kesler.

If there was an offer like that on the table and Gillis turned it down, he's an idiot. Plain and simple.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

That offer is pretty much a joke ... any one of those assets is probably individually worth a mid-tier 2nd rounder at this point.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:11 PM
miked1101

At least Leafs fans won't be throwing around Connolly anymore in rumours/proposals

Old
01-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Gillis today on the issue of whether he is asking too much for Luongo:

"When asked if he wanted too much in return, Gillis went at the media and the Leafs.
“Fair value is different for every team that you speak to because they have different players, they have different concerns and different contractual issues that play into what they have available that you might want,” Gillis said.

The notion that we were asking for too much was floated in the Toronto media by a team that was extremely interested in acquiring Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn’t think was right.

“That’s nothing new in this business and it’s’ not the type of pressure that I’m going to succumb too.”"

Woah, Gillis said this?

He attacks the TOR media directly? Amazing.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:20 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post

So Dreger and the Toronto media get slapped in the face and now he's backing off?

Been saying this forever about the Toronto propaganda and them trying to lower the value of other teams' players. Been doing it for years.

Good on Gillis for calling them out. **** them.

Closed Thread