HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Danis eventually supplant Theo?

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Squeaky

vCash: 500
Can Danis eventually supplant Theo?

This is something I've been hearing more and more people talk about lately, Danis getting the job of starter in a couple of years. Is this really a possibility? Danis has impressed me pretty much every time I've seen him. I think he was a fabulous pickup by Gainey. But can he surpass Theo?

Personally, I don't think he's going to crack the NHL next year, except for in the case of an injury to Theo or Huet. In two years, when people say he could be ready for the starters job, I think he'll be fairly hard pressed to even win the backup job. Huet's a pretty solid backup. I don't think that Danis will ever win the starting position, certainly not away from Theodore. He's welcome to prove me wrong.

Old
03-01-2005, 11:53 AM
habs1988

I think he'll get eventually backup position. He's talented and you can see that Melancon helps him during this season. He's very fast on his legs but he has no constancy. One night he could win the game by himself, and on another night, he could let passed 5-6 goals easily. But I'm sure in 2-3 years he'll be our backup and maybe our number 1 goalie if Theodore doesn't sign.

Old
03-01-2005, 11:54 AM
AH

We need Thedore for three or four more years ... after that, YES.

Old
03-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
This is something I've been hearing more and more people talk about lately, Danis getting the job of starter in a couple of years. Is this really a possibility? Danis has impressed me pretty much every time I've seen him. I think he was a fabulous pickup by Gainey. But can he surpass Theo?

Personally, I don't think he's going to crack the NHL next year, except for in the case of an injury to Theo or Huet. In two years, when people say he could be ready for the starters job, I think he'll be fairly hard pressed to even win the backup job. Huet's a pretty solid backup. I don't think that Danis will ever win the starting position, certainly not away from Theodore. He's welcome to prove me wrong.
Well, someone was calling here Perezhogin a franchise player and Komisarek a Norris candidate. So Habs fans forget about Lafleur and Dryden, a new dynasty is coming starting from next season

Old
03-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Aarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003
I think he'll get eventually backup position. He's talented and you can see that Melancon helps him during this season. He's very fast on his legs but he has no constancy. One night he could win the game by himself, and on another night, he could let passed 5-6 goals easily. But I'm sure in 2-3 years he'll be our backup and maybe our number 1 goalie if Theodore doesn't sign.

well first of all i've never seen or heard a bulldogs game where danis let in 5 let alone 6 goals. (possibly because on his bad nights hes yanked after 2-3 goals)

I'd also say its way to early to comment about his possibly replacing theodore.

Unfortunatly Theodore is seen by montreal fans as a francise player. While I believe he is a very good goal tender I think he is the most over rated player in our organization and I was hoping Garon would one day replace him as the #1 backstop, I think we made a huge mistake sending garon elsewhere.

Old
03-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
Unfortunatly Theodore is seen by montreal fans as a francise player. While I believe he is a very good goal tender I think he is the most over rated player in our organization and I was hoping Garon would one day replace him as the #1 backstop, I think we made a huge mistake sending garon elsewhere.
I agree about Garon and I'll add that 2 areas that I think Danis is just as good if not better than Theo already are his rebound control and positioning. From the games I've seen this year(and granted that only the ones they've shown on sportsnet) I've been very impressed with Danis rebound control. When ever he lets a rebound out its always into the corner or away from the play. That's one beef I have with Theo I always cringe with him and rebounds because I can't remember all the times I've seen him kick out a nice juicy rebound right into the slot onto an oppositions stick and it's in the net. I'd say that Theo and Danis are about equal when it comes to positioning and I'd definately give Theo the edge when it comes to quickness/abilty to scramble.

Another thing Danis has going for him is that he's a bit bigger than Theo and thus covers more of the net. Personally I think that under Melansons tutelage the possibility is there for Danis to supplant Theo but it is still a few years off, if ever.

Old
03-01-2005, 01:10 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Anything is possible. Halak or the Swede (Lindberg?) could also be in the running to "supplant Theo".

Old
03-01-2005, 01:17 PM
saskhab

As far as rebound control and positioning, keep in mind Danis is facing AHL competition and Theo faces the top level of competition in the world. The shots are harder, the pace is faster, the game much more difficult. To say his rebounding and positioning is already as good, or better than Theo's is stretching things quite a bit, and not appreciating the level of competition Theo faces as compared to Yann.

Danis will need to backup Theo for 2 to 3 years before think about a starting gig on his own. 1 more year in the AHL for Yann should do the trick at that level, possibly less than a year. But to make the jump to NHL starter.... that takes time, lots of confidence, and lots of training.

Theo is a lot quicker than Danis. Danis' leg movement has nothing on Theo. Danis' glove hand, however, is very pretty. That's an advantage I'll give Yann.

Could Yann be the goalie in 3 or 4 years for the Habs? Sure, but that might be because Theo signs elsewhere. He'll be a UFA and might find a better job with a better team (who knows how good the Habs will be in 3 or 4 years anyways when we don't even know what economic system there will be).

Old
03-01-2005, 02:57 PM
jcpenny

For a first season against tougher competition and longer schedule he's doing great. He's getting better game after game. It would be great if the team could make the playoffs and see what he's made of under pressure. He has good potentiel but taking over Theo? To soon to tell.

Old
03-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Sumhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
We need Thedore for three or four more years ... after that, YES.

Same for me. Danis has the potencial to be a number 1 goaler.

Sumhabs

Old
03-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003
He's very fast on his legs but he has no constancy. One night he could win the game by himself, and on another night, he could let passed 5-6 goals easily.
That's exactly my thoughts...... about Theodore, that is.

Old
03-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

We'll see in a few years. Danis has a lot to prove yet. But I am not to keen on trading away a Hart Trophy winning goalie because of an AHL prospect

Old
03-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
We'll see in a few years. Danis has a lot to prove yet. But I am not to keen on trading away a Hart Trophy winning goalie because of an AHL prospect
Who said anything about trading Theo away? This is just a speculative thread about whether or not we think Danis has the tools, albeit raw right now, to possibly replace Theo in the future,

Old
03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Could happen, but if theo plays up to his potential with consistency then i see no reason why Danis would become a number one. By the time Danis comes in we will be solid contenders most likely Theo will also be a veteran by then, a word that wont be to famular with Danis. Theo will be a number 1 for us for many years as long as he keeps his performance up, consistency up (needs to improve), and doesnt ask for a boat load of money (cap should help).....

Old
03-01-2005, 08:56 PM
alexstream

Can't believe that is happening right now!!!

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Is it a nightmare?

Why again and again and over again bring back the #1 goalie subject??????

Thibault, Hackett, Garon... now Danis... enough already!

Theo is #1

THEO IS NUMBER ONE, get it

Old
03-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Corey

At what point will Théo start having nightmares about Danis? Right now he's pretty confident about himself. Garon is gone and Huet doesn't strike me as an all-star.

Old
03-01-2005, 09:52 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin
Anything is possible. Halak or the Swede (Lindberg?) could also be in the running to "supplant Theo".
I wouldn't hold my breath on Halak "supplanting" anyone.

Both he and Heino-Lindberg are atleast a couple years away from the AHL... from there, we'll see how they do. But, I'd be more excited about Heino-Lindberg than Halak, he's just too slow.

Old
03-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
I wouldn't hold my breath on Halak "supplanting" anyone.

Both he and Heino-Lindberg are atleast a couple years away from the AHL... from there, we'll see how they do. But, I'd be more excited about Heino-Lindberg than Halak, he's just too slow.
I think Halak could get signed to the Dogs next year. Danis is clearly no.1 but Ellis will be gone.The only other guy I see who has a shot a being a backup would be Michaud. (Unless we resign JF-Damphousse or E. Fichaud ) Seriously though, we could sign a AHL vet to backup Danis.

I think they would sign Halak and see how he does in training camp. He's getting great experience this year in the Q league. He faces on average 31 shots a game and Lewiston is in 8th place so they're in the playoffs. Also, he'll be 20 at the end of the season. Obviously with such a late pick no one expected anything, but Halak is turning out to be quite a goalie. But imo, he'll either be getting some time in Hamilton or he'll get really good time in Long Beach.

Heino-Lindberg I don't know as much about but he has very impressive stats. (Although it is tier II) GAA 1.81, SV% .927. He's 20 right now, but I don't know whether he'll come over or not.

Old
03-01-2005, 10:16 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
I think Halak could get signed to the Dogs next year. Danis is clearly no.1 but Ellis will be gone.The only other guy I see who has a shot a being a backup would be Michaud. (Unless we resign JF-Damphousse or E. Fichaud ) Seriously though, we could sign a AHL vet to backup Danis.

I think they would sign Halak and see how he does in training camp. He's getting great experience this year in the Q league. He faces on average 31 shots a game and Lewiston is in 8th place so they're in the playoffs. Also, he'll be 20 at the end of the season. Obviously with such a late pick no one expected anything, but Halak is turning out to be quite a goalie. But imo, he'll either be getting some time in Hamilton or he'll get really good time in Long Beach.

Heino-Lindberg I don't know as much about but he has very impressive stats. (Although it is tier II) GAA 1.81, SV% .927. He's 20 right now, but I don't know whether he'll come over or not.
Can't see the Habs going with Halak as the #2 in Hamilton.

I expect Halak to be in the ECHL, where he should be like most 20 year old prospects not named Fleury or Lehtonen (or Toivonen, etc...), where he should get plenty of starts.

Heino-Lindberg will, like most Swedish prospects, be a long journey. I think he'll come over to North America no earlier than 2007/08, spend atleast a couple years in the AHL, and may get a crack at a spot in the NHL depending on the situation in Montreal when he's in his mid-20's.

Old
03-01-2005, 10:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert

It will be interesting what they do with Halak, as he has many choices. The problem right now is that we don't know when the NHL will be back, if the camps will start on time next year etc... With Halak they can send him back to the Q, or he could play in the ECHL or if he is strong at camp perhaps a spot on the Dogs. His style of play makes it hard to get a read on him for me personally, as I've seen him play very good and not so good, but we'll see next year what kind of progress he's made. I would think management will take a hard look at him, as Michaud is not a given for the backup spot. I do think Michaud has picked it up, so that just makes it more interesting next year.

Add in Heino-Lindberg, who wants to come over this summer and is now finished with hockey for year. His father told me wants to come over although I never did get to ask Chris himself at the development camp. But I have no idea what management has in store for him. I hope they bring him over. Would be very exciting to see Danis, Michaud, Halak and Heino-Lindberg at camp. Would give management a lot of options.

Old
03-01-2005, 10:34 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Add in Heino-Lindberg, who wants to come over this summer and is now finished with hockey for year. His father told me wants to come over although I never did get to ask Chris himself at the development camp. But I have no idea what management has in store for him. I hope they bring him over. Would be very exciting to see Danis, Michaud, Halak and Heino-Lindberg at camp. Would give management a lot of options.
That would be very surprising to me if he came over next season.

Old
03-01-2005, 10:41 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
That would be very surprising to me if he came over next season.

I don't think he would care if your surprised or not. I think it's up to what the management staff feels is the best choice.

Closed Thread