HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hall-Yakupov vs Seguin-Galchenyuk

View Poll Results: Which pair would you take on your team?
Hall-Yakupov 251 48.83%
Seguin-Galchenyuk 243 47.28%
Too close 20 3.89%
Voters: 514. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-24-2013, 02:42 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

vCash: 50
The ones that aren't Oilers, clearly

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:53 PM
PsychoDad

vCash: 500
Only idiots compare the stats. Stats dont mean **** if you dont compare the situations and the systems the players have been playing in.

Only an idiot would compare the first season of Hall and Seguin statwise. One played on the worst team in the NHL on the first line, the other one played on the best team on the 4th-3rd line.

And consider this - no player in Juliens system will ever excel stat-wise. This is not how Boston works.
Boston rolls 3 lines, and even the 4th gets considerable time. At the same time the PP has been **** since 3 years so there is no considerable stat advantage from playing there.

PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:44 PM

definitely the two centers.

05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahnaMahna View Post
Holy **** reading this thread had me cringing at oilers fans... they just swarm to any thread that involves one of their players.

lol its because everyone outside of oilers fans loves to pick on us!

Seriously though, we see the same arguments against Hall, yak, the oilers in general.

Someone says "oh look at the stats your guys suck" then when we bring up other stats people tell us "oh stats dont say everything"

The problem is the majority of people who are voting are probably in the eastern conference cities, so they are up watching montreal and boston games, while when the oiler games come on they say "oh its a lottery team im going to go to bed."

I understand some of the points on why people like galchenyuk and seguin better, and some of those people bring up valid arguments and know what they are talking about. But so much in these threads is just bashing oilers players.

cpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Vdhawan89
Connor McMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahnaMahna View Post
Holy **** reading this thread had me cringing at oilers fans... they just swarm to any thread that involves one of their players.
Oh no the fans that actually know the most about two of the players in the poll are providing insight?!? The humanity...

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Pekka Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
definitely the two centers.
Would make sense if Seguin has ever played center at an NHL level. Too bad he never has.

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:45 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

I like Hall better than Seguin, but I like Galchenyuk A LOT better than I like Yakupov. I voted too close.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Bieber fever

Hall & Gal

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:58 PM
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler

How does this poll make sense?

It really isn't a who is better, it is who would you rather have on your team. Of course a center and a RW that can play center would be ideal to most teams.

For the record..

Hall has taken more faceoffs this year than Seguin has and is currently 17-9, to Seguin's 7-4.

Hall has 16 points in 16 games on one of the worst scoring teams in the league. A team that is by far the worst at even strength.

Seguin has 10 points in 15 games on a contending team.

Edmonton is in the bottom five for times shorthanded with 80 while Boston is 4th with only 58.

Less PK time means more time at ES and way more momentum.

And Hall has better linemates? RNH with 7 points and Eberle with 12.

Seguin has Bergeron with 11 and Marchand with 12. Not to mention Chara on the same team.

Seguin is very talented, but Hall brings way more to the Oilers than Seguin would have. If you disagree then you probably do not watch Oil games whatsoever.

And it is way to soon for Yakupov and Galy, I'll trust guys like Larionov and all of the scouts over guys from HF.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
Back in 2010, I would have taken Seguin first, and I still would.

Seguin > Hall

Seguin has done basically nothing over Hall except get lucky enough to get drafted at 2nd overall to a contending team.

Most people had Hall #1 and so far he has proven them right. If you're already saying Seguin when Hall has started off slightly better, I wonder what's going to happen if they're actually even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
Galchenyuk is outplaying Yakupov right now, he's got more points, and an incredible +/-. Galchenyuk IMO will be a better player than Yakupov, in terms of what he brings to the table, he's the complete package.

Galchenyuk > Yakupov
He's not outplaying Yakupov. Yakupov is being brought up slowly now. Earlier he was producing a lot with Hemsky/Gagner, but his defense was lacking. Now he is being forced to learn the defensive side of the game (i.e. with Belanger) and there hasn't been tolerance for mistakes.

Furthermore, we're 15 games into their first seasons. That has almost nothing to do with their long-term projections. I find it hard to believe that Galchenyuk closed the gap to the unanimous 1st overall choice of everyone in hockey in only 15 games.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

He's not outplaying Yakupov. Yakupov is being brought up slowly now. Earlier he was producing a lot with Hemsky/Gagner, but his defense was lacking. Now he is being forced to learn the defensive side of the game (i.e. with Belanger) and there hasn't been tolerance for mistakes.

Furthermore, we're 15 games into their first seasons. That has almost nothing to do with their long-term projections. I find it hard to believe that Galchenyuk closed the gap to the unanimous 1st overall choice of everyone in hockey in only 15 games.
Galchenyuk is being brought up even more slowly (even less ice time and PP time than Yak). And his defensive game is already pretty good.

And we should stop with "unanimous" 1st overall. Here is some scouting reports on Galchenyuk...

Quote:
Galchenyuk is smart, big, talented, and he can skate. He is good in all aspects of the game and there really isn’t much he isn’t capable of doing. Given his size, smarts and skill he projects to be a very good first line center in the NHL for a long, long time. Had he been healthy the entire season, or even half, he would be a legitimate candidate to be drafted with the 1st overall pick.
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012/NHL-D...lex-Galchenyuk

Quote:
Many scouts felt that Galchenyuk was more talented overall than his Sarnia Sting teammate, Nail Yakupov. Galchenyuk may not be the natural goal-scorer that Yakupov is, but he has good hands and the ability to see and make plays that the average player may not be able to conjure up. Galchenyuk also pays attention to the defensive side of the game, moreso than does Yakupov. In time, Galchenyuk should be a contender to be a No. 1 center with the Canadiens.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/alex_galchenyuk/

So far that is exactly what I am seeing.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
While I can see Galchenyuk ending up better, these reports aren't written by professional (or formerly professional) scouts. I dug up this:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=142
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon
For the hell of it I looked up a few of the various ranking services (note to the mods... found all these ranks listed online (including on NHL.com so I'm not violating any copyrights here).

Here's 12 various ranking lists:

A Craig Button
B Bob Mackenzie (aggregate of ~10 NHL scouts)
C ISS
D MyNHLDraft
E Future Considerations
F NHL Central Scouting
G Redline Report
H Hockey Prospectus
I The Scouting Report
J The Hockey Writers
K The Hockey News
L McKeen’s Hockey

Yakupov
A 1
B 1
C 1
D 1
E 1
F 1 NA skater
G 1
H 1
I 1
J 1
K 1
L 1
Average: 1.0

Forsberg
A 7
B 4
C 2
D 5
E 5
F 1 Euro Skater
G 2
H 4
I 2
J 5
K 2
L 3
Ave: 3.5

Murray
A 13
B 3
C 3
D 2
E 3
F 2 NA Skater
G 4
H 8
I 4
J 3
K 4
L 4
Ave: 4.42

Galchenyuk
A 4
B 6
C 14
D 3
E 2
F 4 NA Skater
G 6
H 3
I 3
J 6
K 7
L 2
Ave: 5.0

Grigorenko
A 20
B 2
C 4
D 4
E 4
F 3 NA Skater
G 8
H 2
I 5
J 4
K 3
L 9
Ave: 5.67

Dumba
A 2
B 5
C 6
D 6
E 10
F 11 NA Skater
G 3
H 6
I 7
J 2
K 5
L 6
Ave: 5.75

Rielly
A 3
B 9
C 7
D 9
E 9
F 5 NA Skater
G 7
H 7
I 6
J 8
K 6
L 8
Ave: 7.0

Teravainen
A 5
B 10
C 8
D 8
E 8
F 2 Euro Skater
G 5
H 5
I 11
J 7
K 12
L 5
Ave: 7.17

Reinhart
A 6
B 8
C 10
D 7
E 7
F 10 NA Skater
G 9
H 15
I 10
J 9
K 8
L 7
Ave: 8.83

Trouba
A 12
B 7
C 5
D 10
E 6
F 9 NA Skater
G 11
H 12
I 9
J 13
K 9
L 10
Ave: 9.42

Notice a common trend with Yakupov compared to everyone else?

He's CLEARLY and unanimously the #1 pick. It's not even close to being close. When you do hear someone say something about the gap between Yak and the rest of the pack they sometimes say the gap isn't as big as some suggest, but literally NO reputable source says that there isn't a gap there... large or small it certainly exists as he's the CLEAR #1.

I've watched the guy play... I can SEE that gap with my own eyes in the way he plays the game. He has "IT"... and you don't even have to take any of those professional rankings into account if you actually watch him play and see what type of skills and talent he has.

When you include mock lists and other less well publicized ranking lists... you find that it's still almost 100% unanimous for Yakupov at #1. You have to look hard to find someone who says he's not #1.. and the few mocks that have Yakupov at #2 are only doing so because they think the Oilers need a dman badly... not because Yakupov is the #2 prospect.

140 decibel bullhorn to the ears of Lowe, Tambo and Co:...

"Pick the obviously most talented player and be damn glad you have him."

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:35 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 135
Well those rankings are the result of him not playing for a full year.'

He was drafted 1st overall in the OHL in 2010 and Craig Button called him "Arguably the best 16 years old in the World"

See at 4:05

We'll see how things work out but so far he's been outplaying Yakupov which is pretty darn impressive considering he missed a full year of development.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:43 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
lol Hall is destroying Seguin this year

Hall has a better PPG average throughout his career

Hall > Seguin

Yak=Gally

thus my homer vote goes to Hall, Yak
I'm not sure Hall>Seguin.

FWIW, when they both joined the league Hall was more NHL ready.

Last year, at same number of games Hall would've been a mere 3 points ahead after 81 games.

In addition, Seguin had 52 ESP last year out of his 67 PTS.
Hall, out of this projected 70 he would've had would be at 42ESP.

Again, this is with projections. So, meh, in a full season not as a rookie one could make a debate Seguin looked better.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Well those rankings are the result of him not playing for a full year.'

He was drafted 1st overall in the OHL in 2010 and Craig Button called him "Arguably the best 16 years old in the World"

See at 4:05

We'll see how things work out but so far he's been outplaying Yakupov which is pretty darn impressive considering he missed a full year of development.
Was Nick Ebert considered to be a Great player at 16. way to early to say who is better .

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:47 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Was Nick Ebert considered to be a Great player at 16. way to early to say who is better .
Perhaps but to be fair that projection changed. Galchenyuk hasn't fallen off the map or anything like that.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:54 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Perhaps but to be fair that projection changed. Galchenyuk hasn't fallen off the map or anything like that.
Galy is looking to be a great selection, but to be fair to Yakupov a Oiler fan who has watched him all season his linemates have not looked to him at all on the rush Gagner has been feeding Hemsky on Rush 90 percent of the time . When Yakupov has had the puck he has looked pretty good. I say they both have stellar careers. Yakupov has also been brought in on his off wing to start his career and looked uncomfortable on left side , and majority of all his points have come with him being on right side on pp or being on right side while cycling.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:58 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Galy is looking to be a great selection, but to be fair to Yakupov a Oiler fan who has watched him all season his linemates have not looked to him at all on the rush Gagner has been feeding Hemsky on Rush 90 percent of the time . When Yakupov has had the puck he has looked pretty good. I say they both have stellar careers. Yakupov has also been brought in on his off wing to start his career and looked uncomfortable on left side , and majority of all his points have come with him being on right side on pp or being on right side while cycling.
Galchenyuk hasn't been given much responsibility either. Yakupov actually plays 2:09 more than Gally per game so whatever issues there are shouldn't be entirely relevant considering that information.

Either way, it's their rookie year. They seem fairly equal at this point, doubt either team is complaining about the picks.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:04 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

]
Quote:
Galchenyuk hasn't been given much responsibility either. Yakupov actually plays 2:09 more than Gally per game so whatever issues there are shouldn't be entirely relevant considering that information.

Either way, it's their rookie year. They seem fairly equal at this point, doubt either team is complaining about the picks.
1:47 but 17 games does not define Career projections. Okposo and Oshie were better ppg players than Stamkos their rookie seasons same with versteeg and Berglund would you take any of those players over Stamkos now. Number 1 overalls are rated that in there draft years for a reason , Im sure threads back then were stating how Okposo was going to be better than Stamkos as well probably Oshie as well. Lets revist this in 3 /4 years

Last edited by Oiltankjob Fail: 02-25-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 03:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
]1:47 but 17 games does not define Career projections. Okposo and Oshie were better ppg players than Stamkos their rookie seasons same with versteeg and Berglund would you take any of those players over Stamkos now. Number 1 overalls are rated that in there draft years for a reason , Im sure threads back then were stating how Okposo was going to be better than Stamkos as well probably Oshie as well. Lets revist this in 3 /4 years
Why 1:47??

At this moment:

Yakupov 14:23 TOI/G
Galchenyuk 12:14 TOI/G

So not sure where you got 1:47 from.

I agree though, it's too small a sample and too early.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:31 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Why 1:47??

At this moment:

Yakupov 14:23 TOI/G
Galchenyuk 12:14 TOI/G

So not sure where you got 1:47 from.

I agree though, it's too small a sample and too early.
My mistake looked on wrong line on nhl.com (Tarasenko minutes)

Old
02-25-2013, 04:03 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Seguin-Galchenyuk

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:25 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
Quote:
I'm not sure Hall>Seguin.

FWIW, when they both joined the league Hall was more NHL ready.

Last year, at same number of games Hall would've been a mere 3 points ahead after 81 games.
so we still would've beat him on a much worse team with a bad offense...that's not helping your case

Quote:
In addition, Seguin had 52 ESP last year out of his 67 PTS.
Hall, out of this projected 70 he would've had would be at 42ESP.

Again, this is with projections. So, meh, in a full season not as a rookie one could make a debate Seguin looked better.
again, the Oilers were 22nd in the league in ES goals

the Bruins were 1st in the league...whopping 54 goals better ES...I'd expect Seguin to be much better in that area

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:13 AM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
Galchenyuk was too big a question mark to be taken by the Oilers with the number 1 pick. It would have looked terrible on the organization to take him over Yakupov, then have Yakupov become the far better player.

That's obviously not going to be the case, but lets not even waste time arguing about who is better at this stage in their careers.

McDreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
1 Seguin
2 Galchenyuk
3 Yakupov
4 Hall.

Seguin Galchenyuk combo.

Silly question also, Seguin defeated Hall in a one on one poll, and Galchenyuk also defeated Yakupov in a head to head poll.
Swap hall for Seguin and this is correct

1. Hall
2. Galchenyuk
3. Yakupov
4. Seguin

I absolutely love all 4 players, all very very close so it's all super opinionated.

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote