HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hall-Yakupov vs Seguin-Galchenyuk

View Poll Results: Which pair would you take on your team?
Hall-Yakupov 251 48.83%
Seguin-Galchenyuk 243 47.28%
Too close 20 3.89%
Voters: 514. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Sky04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Hall makes his entire team play twice as well when he's in the line-up, while Seguin is just a support player.

If Seguin was an Oiler playing on the worst team in the league, he wouldn't be looking nearly as good.

Yakupov Vs Galchenyuk is just downright funny, because Yakupov has already lit up the KHL like a Christmas tree. IMO that's like taking Galchenyuk over Yakupov would be like taking prime Kesler over prime Kovalchuk.
Which is why he also dominated against younger less matured players at the world jrs right? Oh wait....

Please, under a ppg in the KHL isn't lighting anything up, I'd say if he went on through the entire season that ppg would've gone down also, if you wanna talk about lighting up the KHL, go ask Malkin who has 65 points in 37 games

Last edited by Sky04: 01-16-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:18 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
From an outside perspective I would say that they would about be equal and it's all about personal preference at this point

A full year for both Seguin and Hall should help considerably in my decision making but the whole Taylor vs Tyler debate will be there their entire careers. Galy vs Yakupov I don't know too much because I haven't seen enough of either of them to make a complete judgement and we don't know how their transition to the NHL. A toss up at this point imo

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidLine93 View Post
Please explain how playing more games means his points per game would increase....
Gally had a bit of a slow start (still over 1PPG though) and it took him a few games to shake off the rust of not playing for a full year.

He looks dominant now though and will likely start the season in Montreal.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
The Predators will have to try harder to beat the Rangers than to beat the Blue Jackets. Are you denying this?
I will definitely deny that. A bad game by a good team or a great game by a bad team and anybody can beat anybody on any given night. If you're not giving it 100% every night against every team you're not going to win many games in the NHL or get a lot of respect. There's a reason why upsets happen in pro sports and it's not because wins come easy against bad teams.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidLine93 View Post
Gally is over 6 feet Yak is like 5'10
Hall is 6'1 over 200...Seguin is 185...your comment makes no sense
For some reason I thought Seguin was about 6'3. My bad.

Gally has about 3 inches on Yakupov, and yes, to me that means something. Especially considering there is no real gap in talent, IMO, between both players.

So yeah, my point still stands, but to a lesser extent. I could also add that I see both Seguin and Gally as more cerebral types of players, which I personally tend to prefer over power-types of forwards.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:02 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Which is why he also dominated against younger less matured players at the world jrs right? Oh wait....

Please, under a ppg in the KHL isn't lighting anything up, I'd say if he went on through the entire season that ppg would've gone down also, if you wanna talk about lighting up the KHL, go ask Malkin who has 65 points in 37 games

1. Serious case of WJC hype. NY led Russia in scoring, had 2 goals in the bronze medal game, he was not dominated but also not outstanding
2.Rookie in the KHL not scoring PPG? so bad, Ovy did it right? no 27p in 37 games by his 3rd year. Malkin tore up KHL at the same age right? Yakupov was scoring at a higher gpg then Malkins 3rd year in the KHL

not saying hell be as good but hes put up better numbers then the 2 best Russians at the same age, while playing in his first year in the KHL

3. Malkin is the best player in the world, Yakupov is a rookie

Last edited by topchowda: 01-16-2013 at 07:08 PM.
topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

1. Serious case of WJC hype. NY led Russia in scoring, had 2 goals in the bronze medal game, he was not dominated but also not outstanding
2.Rookie in the KHL not scoring PPG? so bad, Ovy did it right? no 27p in 37 games by his 3rd year. Malkin tore up KHL at the same age right? Yakupov was scoring at a higher gpg then Malkins 3rd year in the KHL

not saying hell be as good but hes put up better numbers then the 2 best Russians at the same age, while playing in his first year in the KHL

3. Malkin is the best player in the world, Yakupov is a rookie

Yeah I get his scoring is impressive for his AGE, but those kind of numbers are FAR from lighting anything up, read what I quoted.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:43 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
The Predators will have to try harder to beat the Rangers than to beat the Blue Jackets. Are you denying this?
Well the idea is that they try to win every night, which is why if they played the Blue Jackets 10 times and the Rangers 10 times they'd probably beat the Blue Jackets more. There's no such thing as a team in today's NHL where you can get away with not trying and still win. It's such an absurd argument for trying to prove that player A is better than player B. Do you think that defenemen didn't really try hard to defend against Stamkos because he was on a team that was poor in the standings? Or that Tavares has inflated offensive stats because he's on a team that other teams don't try again? Just think of how ridiculous that sounds, the argument is just plain silly.

In 2005-2006, when Crosby entered the league, his team finished 29th. Why then, when his team had 105 points in 2006-2007, did his point total soar from 102 to 120, winning the Art Ross? Shouldn't there have been a steep decline because teams weren't trying against him in his first year?

Or in 2007-2008, after Ovechkin and the Capitals had two straight years of finishing 27th, when they made the playoffs, why did Ovechkin score a career high and win the Art Ross, when teams were finally trying against him after all this time? Shouldn't his point totals have gone way down?

MastuhNinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post

Gally has about 3 inches on Yakupov, and yes, to me that means something. Especially considering there is no real gap in talent, IMO, between both players.

So yeah, my point still stands, but to a lesser extent. I could also add that I see both Seguin and Gally as more cerebral types of players, which I personally tend to prefer over power-types of forwards.
3 inches? More like 1 or 2 inches tops and also, Yakupov is more talented than Galchenyuk. It's not even debatable. Don't get me wrong, both are very talented but Yakupov is just a notch above Galchenyuk at everything except stickhandling. There's a reason one was "head and shoulders" above the rest of his draft class.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Lol at the "Hall makes the oilers play better, Seguin's a support player" argument. If you call a team's leading scorer a support player, then Hall would just be a support player on the Bruins, too. Not Seguin's fault that he was drafted by a good team which didn't have to count on him right away.

I'd agree that Hall is more captain material, but that's not the difference between core and support player. Unless if you want to call for example Spezza a support player too.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:03 PM
johnnyboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
3 inches? More like 1 or 2 inches tops and also, Yakupov is more talented than Galchenyuk. It's not even debatable. Don't get me wrong, both are very talented but Yakupov is just a notch above Galchenyuk at everything except stickhandling. There's a reason one was "head and shoulders" above the rest of his draft class.
I'll take Galchenyuks Hockey Sense, passing and creativity anyday over Yakupov...+ he's a center, bigger and he makes everyone around him better..Yakupovs flash and dash...Galchenyuk is smooth and graceful!!

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:

I saw Seguin at the Super series in Guelph and he's taller than I thought he would be. I'm 6'4" and he was basically a hair under me. Take that for what it's worth. (not much)

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboo View Post
I'll take Galchenyuks Hockey Sense, passing and creativity anyday over Yakupov...+ he's a center, bigger and he makes everyone around him better..Yakupovs flash and dash...Galchenyuk is smooth and graceful!!
Okay, but Yakupov is faster, has a better shot and opens up space for his team-mates. Plus he has decent playmaking abilities (Had the same amount of assists as Gal). Also, I would just like to know what Gal has done to overtake the CONSENSUS number 1 since the draft, other thne get drafted by your favourite team?

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Nicko999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
Okay, but Yakupov is faster, has a better shot and opens up space for his team-mates. Plus he has decent playmaking abilities (Had the same amount of assists as Gal). Also, I would just like to know what Gal has done to overtake the CONSENSUS number 1 since the draft, other thne get drafted by your favourite team?
They have an equally good shot.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
50 goals to 31 goals in the OHL says different.

Also, Gal might be bigger, but Yak is very physical and has layed out quite a few big hits.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Quote:
Galchenyuks shot isnt in the realm of Yakupovs, Yakupovs shot is one of the biggest reasons why he was the top prospect last year, and right now.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Quote:
thats all it takes

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Forgot how to embed video's, but this video shows how dirty Yak's shot can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tyCC9_i-A8

1:31 and 1:54 especially.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:49 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboo View Post
Literally no scout in hockey would agree with you

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
It is definitely debatable. I'm certainly not the only one who thinks Gally's play this year proves that he, at the very least, could've been in the discussion for 1st overall had he not been injured. I'm not saying he for sure will be better or is more talented than Yakupov, I try to avoid these essentialist arguments that don't provide any solid base for a discussion.

Also, I'd argue the only skill you allow to Gally's edge stickhandling is not exactly the shallowest skill for a hockey player to possess. Combine this with better on-ice vision, better use of linemates, better playmaking abilities and better two-way play (all IMO, of course), you have some solid arguments to prefer him over Yakupov, if these are elements of the game you highly value. Also, Gally's wrist shot might be his best asset. It's much closer if not as good as Yakupov's. There's plenty of video evidence to show how lethal it is.

And unless Yakupov has grown closer to 6'0 (which didn't look to be the case at the WJC), yes, Galchenyuk has about 3 inches on him. But yeah, at this point I admit it's not such an important factor.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
It is definitely debatable. I'm certainly not the only one who thinks Gally's play this year proves that he, at the very least, could've been in the discussion for 1st overall had he not been injured. I'm not saying he for sure will be better or is more talented than Yakupov, I try to avoid these essentialist arguments that don't provide any solid base for a discussion.

Also, I'd argue the only skill you allow to Gally's edge stickhandling is not exactly the shallowest skill for a hockey player to possess. Combine this with better on-ice vision, better use of linemates, better playmaking abilities and better two-way play (all IMO, of course), you have some solid arguments to prefer him over Yakupov, if these are elements of the game you highly value. Also, Gally's wrist shot might be his best asset. It's much closer if not as good as Yakupov's. There's plenty of video evidence to show how lethal it is.

And unless Yakupov has grown closer to 6'0 (which didn't look to be the case at the WJC), yes, Galchenyuk has about 3 inches on him. But yeah, at this point I admit it's not such an important factor.
Forgot to mention Galchenyuk's wrist shot, however, I don't know if I'd agree about vision, playmaking etc. Yakupov is an elite playmaker and I think he's underrated in that aspect. Obviously, people think of him as a goal scorer first and foremost, which is understandable because of his explosiveness and shot, but he really has one of the most complete and diverse offensive toolsets I've seen in a young player in a long time. He was making sweet passes in the OHL/KHL and is doing the same in training camp. The WJC isn't indicative of how he usually plays and a lot of people are judging him based on that single event, which is unfair and wrong.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Nicko999

For those doubting Gally's shot

Old
01-17-2013, 05:04 AM
johnnyboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Literally no scout in hockey would agree with you

My guess is that most of them would

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
This is just not true. Yakupovs shot is better than Eberle's. He has one of the best wristers I have ever seen.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Really? Seguin is ">>" better then Hall? Please explain how Seguin is SO much better then Hall? I can understand = and maybe even just one ">" but two? wow.

Honestly neither one of them have done anything spectacular to pull themselves away from eachother.
Pretty good explanation for the entire thread here. Good post.

Tim Vezina Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote