HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 02:41 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
No - but realistically they will not contend for a Cup with or without Luongo - therefore why give up assets for him?

It seems Canucks fans all want the Leafs to be the next Calgary Flames - try and try and try for the playoffs even though there's next to no chance of winning a Cup. Canucks fans laugh at the Flames for that strategy, but seem to be ok with the Leafs doing the same thing - as long as it nets the Canucks something in a trade.
Fair point. But what is the Leaf's plan. I see you as caught somewhat in the middle. Not bad enough to get the first three picks but not good enough to make the playoffs.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Why not give Reimer a chance to rebound from his injury as well as a fresh start in front a coach that will implement a defensive system instead of run-and-gun?
Because in that scenario, Vancouver doesn't get Gardiner, our 1st and other neat stuff...come on man...think!!!

Old
01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Nucks N Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
No - but realistically they will not contend for a Cup with or without Luongo - therefore why give up assets for him?

It seems Canucks fans all want the Leafs to be the next Calgary Flames - try and try and try for the playoffs even though there's next to no chance of winning a Cup. Canucks fans laugh at the Flames for that strategy, but seem to be ok with the Leafs doing the same thing - as long as it nets the Canucks something in a trade.
I think you forget the Leafs have had numerous high draft picks over the past few years and haven't been able to get better, so Nucks fans are suggesting changing strategy. And no we don't consider them the same as flames fans as Leafs don't have their star players about to retire or at least drop off considerably in performance.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
doorman

[QUOTE=Cogburn;57686607]Sorry, this is going way back 4 pages or so, I just got a break.

I think Toronto has plenty of good roster players, but you're right in the respect that we probably won't like what's being offered, either by Leafs fans and possibly the Leafs themselves.

Mats+Luongo doesn't equal cup We tried that if you remember, and got run out of town by Chicago. Shame he decided to hang em up though, we could have been watching beautiful hockey here for the next year or two too.

Hurt I can understand, but a star goaltender, still top 5 in my eyes, doesn't get traded for Bozak and a prospect. That's no disrespect to Bozak, it...just doesn't happen, contract or no.

It would have been different in a different shade of blue, lol. Plus I hate to say it Nucks fans never saw the real Mats.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucks N Canes View Post
I think you forget the Leafs have had numerous high draft picks over the past few years and haven't been able to get better, so Nucks fans are suggesting changing strategy. And no we don't consider them the same as flames fans as Leafs don't have their star players about to retire or at least drop off considerably in performance.
In all fairness, Reilly,Percy,Biggs,Finn aren't quite ready. We traded 2 firsts for Kessel...that leaves Kadri (hopefully gets his shot this year) and Schenn (traded for JVR), so the bolded may be a little premature...no?

Old
01-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Nucks N Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
In all fairness, Reilly,Percy,Biggs,Finn aren't quite ready. We traded 2 firsts for Kessel...that leaves Kadri (hopefully gets his shot this year) and Schenn (traded for JVR), so the bolded may be a little premature...no?
Yea I know its premature but basing it on what has happened in past few years team hasn't gotten better and the lone brightspot remains the defence. Offence still lacks a star center and quality second line wingers. Goaltending is still a rotating door and doesn't look to be solved based on Toronto's rumoured interest in both Lu and Bernier. Despite all this the team remains close to the cap and hasn't actually had that great of a chance of making the playoffs in years.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
It would have been different in a different shade of blue, lol. Plus I hate to say it Nucks fans never saw the real Mats.
At the same time though, if we had had this problem in the Sundin era, we'd have also had Bertuzzi, Naslund, Ohlund, Jovo, Morrison, Linden, Salo and our old crew back too. Would have been some sick, disgusting hockey out west with Luongo/Schneider playing out here too.

Dammit Luongo, why couldn't you be in the NHL and on our team a decade earlier?!?...trade him for scraps

Old
01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucks N Canes View Post
They haven't had a ton of high picks - they traded many of them away. They look to be on the right track right now and I don't want to see them trading away young assets for a goalie that won't be around by the time the Leafs are rounding into a contender.

As for "star" players, let's be honest - there aren't many right now. That's the problem.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:57 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Care to discuss something related to this without making it a polarized contest?
But there's nothing left to discuss. All there's been for some time is Canucks fans insisting Luongo's trade value is higher than what every other fanbase's fans believe. No one is being swayed. No one has changed their opinions. We know where all the ususal suspects in these Luongo threads stand on the issue. Just let the situation play itself out, at which point you can gloat/rationalize until your heart's content, as if your reaction will even matter.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
But there's nothing left to discuss. All there's been for some time is Canucks fans insisting Luongo's trade value is higher than what every other fanbase's fans believe. No one is being swayed. No one has changed their opinions. We know where all the ususal suspects in these Luongo threads stand on the issue. Just let the situation play itself out, at which point you can gloat/rationalize until your heart's content, as if your reaction will even matter.
Well that sucked the usefullness out of that. Any reason you keep coming back then? I don't mean to sound snarky or aggressive or anything, its just updates will be posted in the title if it's anything of note. Plus, I mean I took a 3 or 4 thread break when I got a warning back last month or the month before, it's almost refreshing coming back to a new set of trivial details to worry about

The Nonis situation is still a week old too, just a baby compared to the other swirling issues that have been in play for 8 months. I don't think it's quite dead yet, although unless something happens, I'm more then happy to just roll with what we have.

As for the gloating and rationalizing, that'll happen anyway, so I'm sure both sides want it all anyway

Old
01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Any reason you keep coming back then? I don't mean to sound snarky or aggressive or anything, its just updates will be posted in the title if it's anything of note.
The thread title doesn't change with every rumor/tweet, which is all I'm interested in, and why I've got to scan every post in every page of the thread to find such information.

Just wait to see what happens with Luongo, and then we can all either hail Canucks fans as oracles or idiots. We get that you and Gillis won't cut Roberto loose for anything less than a package befitting an all-star on a friendly contract. You don't need to repeat yourself. No one's opinion is changing.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:21 PM
doorman

Quote:
Well that sucked the usefullness out of that. Any reason you keep coming back then? I don't mean to sound snarky or aggressive or anything, its just updates will be posted in the title if it's anything of note. Plus, I mean I took a 3 or 4 thread break when I got a warning back last month or the month before, it's almost refreshing coming back to a new set of trivial details to worry about

The Nonis situation is still a week old too, just a baby compared to the other swirling issues that have been in play for 8 months. I don't think it's quite dead yet, although unless something happens, I'm more then happy to just roll with what we have.

As for the gloating and rationalizing, that'll happen anyway, so I'm sure both sides want it all anyway
Nobody will be happy when this trade goes down, mark my words. In fact name the last trade that both teams fans were really happy with? lol

Old
01-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Nobody will be happy when this trade goes down, mark my words. In fact name the last trade that both teams fans were really happy with? lol
Both sides seemed happy with the Booth, Reinprecht, 3rd for Sturm & Samulesson trade.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Schenn for JVR?

Old
01-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Rydgar

Canuck fan saying that Luongo going to the Leafs is a terrible idea for the leafs. I don't think he is enough to squeak you into the playoffs and basically leaves you with a Calgary Flame finish. This is assuming though that no other supplementary moves are made.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Interesting concept...a trade nobody would be happy with:

Kulemin, Scrivens and a 1st.

Kadri, Finn, 2nd

Last edited by ginner classic: 01-16-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 03:38 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
So I guess John Shannon was full of it when he said for the better part of a month that Luongo to Toronto was done. The guy just destroyed his credibility with that one.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:41 PM
RonEllisFan

kadir scored 3 goal in the first period today in leafs scimmage, I was'nt a big fan of Kadir, my knock on him was size, but I'm coming around now, he has great hands and high hockey IQ, lacking defence and size but skill can't be taught, defence can, With his size and a mean streak in him, could be a Gilmore, Fluery, St Louis. if he was on the table earlier Gillis miss the boat, sure hope they hang on to this kid, he could turn into something. Also player of the week in the AHL against Edm 2 young guns, got to say something in my opion. just sayin

Old
01-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
So I guess John Shannon was full of it when he said for the better part of a month that Luongo to Toronto was done. The guy just destroyed his credibility with that one.
Things change, especially when things like GMs are fired.
I don't blame him, he's more often right than wrong.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:42 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
kadir scored 3 goal in the first period today in leafs scimmage, I was'nt a big fan of Kadir, my knock on him was size, but I'm coming around now, he has great hands and high hockey IQ, lacking defence and size but skill can't be taught, defence can, With his size and a mean streak in him, could be a Gilmore, Fluery, St Louis. if he was on the table earlier Gillis miss the boat, sure hope they hang on to this kid, he could turn into something. Also player of the week in the AHL against Edm 2 young guns, got to say something in my opion. just sayin
Kadir (twice) and Gilmore? What the...

Old
01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

@DamoSpin
Bozak, Kadri and a 2nd rounder? Wayyy too much for Lu

@botchford
Wait, an expiring contract & unproven prospect are too much? Hilarious. RT @DamoSpin

@DamoSpin
@botchford Not as hilarious as being unable to come up with an original name for a TV segment.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Schenn for JVR?
Not everyone was, i my self had mixed feelings, well I love the raw ytalent JVR has,I think Schenn was over Wilsonized...lol

As for the Booth trade I guess, not sure, lol

Old
01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
As rough as that was to read, I would take kahdri on the canucks.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Things change, especially when things like GMs are fired.
I don't blame him, he's more often right than wrong.
Excuses, excuses... The firing of Burke had nothing to do with it according to Shannon because he was on SN after the firing and still claimed the Luongo to T.O. was done.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
As rough as that was to read, I would take kahdri on the canucks.
Tip my hat to you, sir. I couldn't make any sense of it.

Closed Thread