HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2013, 02:41 PM
  #926
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
No - but realistically they will not contend for a Cup with or without Luongo - therefore why give up assets for him?

It seems Canucks fans all want the Leafs to be the next Calgary Flames - try and try and try for the playoffs even though there's next to no chance of winning a Cup. Canucks fans laugh at the Flames for that strategy, but seem to be ok with the Leafs doing the same thing - as long as it nets the Canucks something in a trade.
Fair point. But what is the Leaf's plan. I see you as caught somewhat in the middle. Not bad enough to get the first three picks but not good enough to make the playoffs.

vanwest is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
  #927
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Why not give Reimer a chance to rebound from his injury as well as a fresh start in front a coach that will implement a defensive system instead of run-and-gun?
Because in that scenario, Vancouver doesn't get Gardiner, our 1st and other neat stuff...come on man...think!!!

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
  #928
Nucks N Canes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
No - but realistically they will not contend for a Cup with or without Luongo - therefore why give up assets for him?

It seems Canucks fans all want the Leafs to be the next Calgary Flames - try and try and try for the playoffs even though there's next to no chance of winning a Cup. Canucks fans laugh at the Flames for that strategy, but seem to be ok with the Leafs doing the same thing - as long as it nets the Canucks something in a trade.
I think you forget the Leafs have had numerous high draft picks over the past few years and haven't been able to get better, so Nucks fans are suggesting changing strategy. And no we don't consider them the same as flames fans as Leafs don't have their star players about to retire or at least drop off considerably in performance.

Nucks N Canes is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
  #929
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Cogburn;57686607]Sorry, this is going way back 4 pages or so, I just got a break.

I think Toronto has plenty of good roster players, but you're right in the respect that we probably won't like what's being offered, either by Leafs fans and possibly the Leafs themselves.

Mats+Luongo doesn't equal cup We tried that if you remember, and got run out of town by Chicago. Shame he decided to hang em up though, we could have been watching beautiful hockey here for the next year or two too.

Hurt I can understand, but a star goaltender, still top 5 in my eyes, doesn't get traded for Bozak and a prospect. That's no disrespect to Bozak, it...just doesn't happen, contract or no.


It would have been different in a different shade of blue, lol. Plus I hate to say it Nucks fans never saw the real Mats.

doorman is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
  #930
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucks N Canes View Post
I think you forget the Leafs have had numerous high draft picks over the past few years and haven't been able to get better, so Nucks fans are suggesting changing strategy. And no we don't consider them the same as flames fans as Leafs don't have their star players about to retire or at least drop off considerably in performance.
In all fairness, Reilly,Percy,Biggs,Finn aren't quite ready. We traded 2 firsts for Kessel...that leaves Kadri (hopefully gets his shot this year) and Schenn (traded for JVR), so the bolded may be a little premature...no?

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:52 PM
  #931
Nucks N Canes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
In all fairness, Reilly,Percy,Biggs,Finn aren't quite ready. We traded 2 firsts for Kessel...that leaves Kadri (hopefully gets his shot this year) and Schenn (traded for JVR), so the bolded may be a little premature...no?
Yea I know its premature but basing it on what has happened in past few years team hasn't gotten better and the lone brightspot remains the defence. Offence still lacks a star center and quality second line wingers. Goaltending is still a rotating door and doesn't look to be solved based on Toronto's rumoured interest in both Lu and Bernier. Despite all this the team remains close to the cap and hasn't actually had that great of a chance of making the playoffs in years.

Nucks N Canes is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:53 PM
  #932
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,743
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
It would have been different in a different shade of blue, lol. Plus I hate to say it Nucks fans never saw the real Mats.
At the same time though, if we had had this problem in the Sundin era, we'd have also had Bertuzzi, Naslund, Ohlund, Jovo, Morrison, Linden, Salo and our old crew back too. Would have been some sick, disgusting hockey out west with Luongo/Schneider playing out here too.

Dammit Luongo, why couldn't you be in the NHL and on our team a decade earlier?!?...trade him for scraps

Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
  #933
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucks N Canes View Post
I think you forget the Leafs have had numerous high draft picks over the past few years and haven't been able to get better, so Nucks fans are suggesting changing strategy. And no we don't consider them the same as flames fans as Leafs don't have their star players about to retire or at least drop off considerably in performance.
They haven't had a ton of high picks - they traded many of them away. They look to be on the right track right now and I don't want to see them trading away young assets for a goalie that won't be around by the time the Leafs are rounding into a contender.

As for "star" players, let's be honest - there aren't many right now. That's the problem.

madmike77 is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:57 PM
  #934
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Care to discuss something related to this without making it a polarized contest?
But there's nothing left to discuss. All there's been for some time is Canucks fans insisting Luongo's trade value is higher than what every other fanbase's fans believe. No one is being swayed. No one has changed their opinions. We know where all the ususal suspects in these Luongo threads stand on the issue. Just let the situation play itself out, at which point you can gloat/rationalize until your heart's content, as if your reaction will even matter.

RECsGuy* is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
  #935
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,743
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
But there's nothing left to discuss. All there's been for some time is Canucks fans insisting Luongo's trade value is higher than what every other fanbase's fans believe. No one is being swayed. No one has changed their opinions. We know where all the ususal suspects in these Luongo threads stand on the issue. Just let the situation play itself out, at which point you can gloat/rationalize until your heart's content, as if your reaction will even matter.
Well that sucked the usefullness out of that. Any reason you keep coming back then? I don't mean to sound snarky or aggressive or anything, its just updates will be posted in the title if it's anything of note. Plus, I mean I took a 3 or 4 thread break when I got a warning back last month or the month before, it's almost refreshing coming back to a new set of trivial details to worry about

The Nonis situation is still a week old too, just a baby compared to the other swirling issues that have been in play for 8 months. I don't think it's quite dead yet, although unless something happens, I'm more then happy to just roll with what we have.

As for the gloating and rationalizing, that'll happen anyway, so I'm sure both sides want it all anyway

Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
  #936
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Any reason you keep coming back then? I don't mean to sound snarky or aggressive or anything, its just updates will be posted in the title if it's anything of note.
The thread title doesn't change with every rumor/tweet, which is all I'm interested in, and why I've got to scan every post in every page of the thread to find such information.

Just wait to see what happens with Luongo, and then we can all either hail Canucks fans as oracles or idiots. We get that you and Gillis won't cut Roberto loose for anything less than a package befitting an all-star on a friendly contract. You don't need to repeat yourself. No one's opinion is changing.

RECsGuy* is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:21 PM
  #937
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Well that sucked the usefullness out of that. Any reason you keep coming back then? I don't mean to sound snarky or aggressive or anything, its just updates will be posted in the title if it's anything of note. Plus, I mean I took a 3 or 4 thread break when I got a warning back last month or the month before, it's almost refreshing coming back to a new set of trivial details to worry about

The Nonis situation is still a week old too, just a baby compared to the other swirling issues that have been in play for 8 months. I don't think it's quite dead yet, although unless something happens, I'm more then happy to just roll with what we have.

As for the gloating and rationalizing, that'll happen anyway, so I'm sure both sides want it all anyway
Nobody will be happy when this trade goes down, mark my words. In fact name the last trade that both teams fans were really happy with? lol

doorman is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:25 PM
  #938
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Nobody will be happy when this trade goes down, mark my words. In fact name the last trade that both teams fans were really happy with? lol
Both sides seemed happy with the Booth, Reinprecht, 3rd for Sturm & Samulesson trade.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
  #939
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Nobody will be happy when this trade goes down, mark my words. In fact name the last trade that both teams fans were really happy with? lol
Schenn for JVR?

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:29 PM
  #940
Rydgar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Fiji
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Canuck fan saying that Luongo going to the Leafs is a terrible idea for the leafs. I don't think he is enough to squeak you into the playoffs and basically leaves you with a Calgary Flame finish. This is assuming though that no other supplementary moves are made.

Rydgar is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
  #941
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Nobody will be happy when this trade goes down, mark my words. In fact name the last trade that both teams fans were really happy with? lol
Interesting concept...a trade nobody would be happy with:

Kulemin, Scrivens and a 1st.

Kadri, Finn, 2nd


Last edited by ginner classic: 01-16-2013 at 03:47 PM.
ginner classic is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:38 PM
  #942
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 8000
So I guess John Shannon was full of it when he said for the better part of a month that Luongo to Toronto was done. The guy just destroyed his credibility with that one.

MikeK is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:41 PM
  #943
RonEllisFan
Registered User
 
RonEllisFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rjukan
Country: Norway
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
kadir scored 3 goal in the first period today in leafs scimmage, I was'nt a big fan of Kadir, my knock on him was size, but I'm coming around now, he has great hands and high hockey IQ, lacking defence and size but skill can't be taught, defence can, With his size and a mean streak in him, could be a Gilmore, Fluery, St Louis. if he was on the table earlier Gillis miss the boat, sure hope they hang on to this kid, he could turn into something. Also player of the week in the AHL against Edm 2 young guns, got to say something in my opion. just sayin

RonEllisFan is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:41 PM
  #944
Skead
Registered User
 
Skead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
So I guess John Shannon was full of it when he said for the better part of a month that Luongo to Toronto was done. The guy just destroyed his credibility with that one.
Things change, especially when things like GMs are fired.
I don't blame him, he's more often right than wrong.

Skead is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:42 PM
  #945
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
kadir scored 3 goal in the first period today in leafs scimmage, I was'nt a big fan of Kadir, my knock on him was size, but I'm coming around now, he has great hands and high hockey IQ, lacking defence and size but skill can't be taught, defence can, With his size and a mean streak in him, could be a Gilmore, Fluery, St Louis. if he was on the table earlier Gillis miss the boat, sure hope they hang on to this kid, he could turn into something. Also player of the week in the AHL against Edm 2 young guns, got to say something in my opion. just sayin
Kadir (twice) and Gilmore? What the...

RECsGuy* is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
  #946
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
@DamoSpin
Bozak, Kadri and a 2nd rounder? Wayyy too much for Lu

@botchford
Wait, an expiring contract & unproven prospect are too much? Hilarious. RT @DamoSpin

@DamoSpin
@botchford Not as hilarious as being unable to come up with an original name for a TV segment.


Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
  #947
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Schenn for JVR?
Not everyone was, i my self had mixed feelings, well I love the raw ytalent JVR has,I think Schenn was over Wilsonized...lol

As for the Booth trade I guess, not sure, lol

doorman is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
  #948
rune74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
kadir scored 3 goal in the first period today in leafs scimmage, I was'nt a big fan of Kadir, my knock on him was size, but I'm coming around now, he has great hands and high hockey IQ, lacking defence and size but skill can't be taught, defence can, With his size and a mean streak in him, could be a Gilmore, Fluery, St Louis. if he was on the table earlier Gillis miss the boat, sure hope they hang on to this kid, he could turn into something. Also player of the week in the AHL against Edm 2 young guns, got to say something in my opion. just sayin
As rough as that was to read, I would take kahdri on the canucks.

rune74 is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
  #949
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Things change, especially when things like GMs are fired.
I don't blame him, he's more often right than wrong.
Excuses, excuses... The firing of Burke had nothing to do with it according to Shannon because he was on SN after the firing and still claimed the Luongo to T.O. was done.

MikeK is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
  #950
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
As rough as that was to read, I would take kahdri on the canucks.
Tip my hat to you, sir. I couldn't make any sense of it.

MikeK is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.