HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 11:44 AM
BowDangles

vCash: 500
The general understanding from the media right now is that Gillis is asking to much for Luongo, hence why he is not traded already..

A lot of people believe that they are trying to drive up the market by using teams like Edm and Chi.

In an ideal world you would want the trade to happen sooner rather than later so that the acquired players can get some training camp in.

I got a feeling that the asking price is too high and will not come down leading to him not being moved..

Old
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
The difference is that he is being vocal about it by repeating it. Media jumps all over that. Expect things to ramp up.
Media in Canada for hockey is crazy. Does Nonis or someone on the Leafs get asked about goaltending issues just about every day multiple times by multiple reporters? Does that ramp up the team's desperation to make a move? Not likely.

Old
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Bob Mckenzie just said the price is too high for anyone to pay, but Gillis is holding put.

Said Toronto should/will consider Bernier as a legitimate alternative.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
That is because you don't watch every Leafs game. Was goaltending a problem? Yup. Was it the only problem...nope.
I should clarify, I mean to say I am 100% confident will provide the ABILITY to make the playoffs. He's played on low scoring teams before (Florida Panthers) and high scoring teams with not much defense (Canucks before Edler/Hamhuis/etc). Ask any Canucks fan, when Luongo faces lots of shots early he typically plays ridiculously good.

Now obviously if the Leafs allow 5-0 rushes all the time, then yeah no matter who is in net I don't think they'll fair well. But I imagine Leafs being 12 points out of a playoff spot, that Luongo could have made a difference in 6 games.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Nash

Quote:
That is because you don't watch every Leafs game. Was goaltending a problem? Yup. Was it the only problem...nope.
It definitely was not the only problem. Wilson was terrible. I honestly don't think he knows what special teams are. Even so, the team was going along pretty well before the collapse and scoring wasn't an issue. Carlyle should do as much as anything to improve the team's greatest deficiency last year and that was lack of systems and team defense.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
Bob Mckenzie just said the price is too high for anyone to pay, but Gillis is holding put.

Said Toronto should/will consider Bernier as a legitimate alternative.
Lombadri's price for Beriner is supposedly higher than Lu's. If the Leafs want to take that gamble, by all means.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:51 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
So basically you won't trade unless there is a safety net. I doubt you'll have many teams interested in that scenario.

If it is a conditional first that reduces the potential value by a substantial amount thus increasing what else TOR will have to pay. Cond. 1st + Kadri + Bozak/Franson, etc
Basically I wouldn't trade for the same reason you wouldn't trade. What if Toronto is decimated with injuries and Luongo performs well yet we still suck. Well, what if Luongo gets injured. Opposite sides of the same coin.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
The general understanding from the media right now is that Gillis is asking to much for Luongo, hence why he is not traded already..

A lot of people believe that they are trying to drive up the market by using teams like Edm and Chi.

In an ideal world you would want the trade to happen sooner rather than later so that the acquired players can get some training camp in.

I got a feeling that the asking price is too high and will not come down leading to him not being moved..
Bill Watters ‏@RealBillWatters
Quote:
Edmonton is very interested in acquiring Luongo.mike Gillis is not at all inclined to trading him inter divisionally.So much for that option

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug
Quote:
Asked ST if he had interest in Luongo.. Didn’t say no. “That’s not for me to talk about at this time”.
I don't think Canucks have any power of either of those guys to make that up.

Old
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Lombadri's price for Beriner is supposedly higher than Lu's. If the Leafs want to take that gamble, by all means.
Rumour has it Lombo is looking for a 1st....maybe plus a 2nd. That is NOT CLOSE to what Gillis is asking.

Old
crazycanuck

Quote:
Can goaltending cover up those other problems? Yup

With a more defensive style that Carlyle will most likely implement, and a goalie of Luongo's calibre, the Leafs would be very much in the hunt for the playoffs.

Look at Phoenix, are they really more talented than the Leafs? I don't think so, but they play a very solid team game and have a system that gives Mike Smith the best chance for success.

While Carlyle probably won't have as much success as Tippett this year in that sense, he definately has the potential to get the Leafs into the playoffs with the right system and goalie.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Spazmatic Dan
Behold the Shanaplan

Quote:
But it really doesn't make sense. (of course, as you say, depends on what you mean by quality) Luongo makes the Leafs a fringe playoff team. That doesn't put forth a reason to move Gardiner/Reilly/1st.
Oh I agree. That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
SeriousHabs

Great news for fantasy GMs who don't have Schneider or Luongo

Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
I should clarify, I mean to say I am 100% confident will provide the ABILITY to make the playoffs. He's played on low scoring teams before (Florida Panthers) and high scoring teams with not much defense (Canucks before Edler/Hamhuis/etc). Ask any Canucks fan, when Luongo faces lots of shots early he typically plays ridiculously good.

Now obviously if the Leafs allow 5-0 rushes all the time, then yeah no matter who is in net I don't think they'll fair well. But I imagine Leafs being 12 points out of a playoff spot, that Luongo could have made a difference in 6 games.
If we're 12 points out of a playoff spot we're likely getting a top-5 pick. If we're in the playoffs, great. Win-Win. Either way, we're not rushing to make a deal and we won't make a deal if the price doesn't suit us. Trade Luongo for a 1st round pick +, then Luongo gets injured or Leafs don't make the playoffs for whatever reason and we're ****ed. Haha, sorry, pass. We're not pushing panic buttons as much as some fans in this thread would JUST LOVE to see us do.

Old
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
The price for Bernier will be similar to what Varlamov got. The upside is that it does not come with Luongo's 10 year contract.

Old
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Basically I wouldn't trade for the same reason you wouldn't trade. What if Toronto is decimated with injuries and Luongo performs well yet we still suck. Well, what if Luongo gets injured. Opposite sides of the same coin.
Ok understandable then that pick is obviously worth a lot less because of the safety. Thus requiring more assets.

Quote:
Rumour has it Lombo is looking for a 1st....maybe plus a 2nd. That is NOT CLOSE to what Gillis is asking.
I don't get how you can say "rumour has it..." then state that isn't close to what Gillis is asking. There is tons of speculation on both sides, but truth be told we don't know what TOR has offered, we don't know what VAN has asked for, nor LAK.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
bcjonny

The Leafs and Canucks are poor trading partners,

Having said that if a deal were to be made I would look for it to include:

Kulemin
Biggs
Finn
2013 1st and a 2014 2nd Or 2014 1st and 2013 2nd Toronto's choice and gives the Protection.

For Luongo

Not interested in any players who are pending UFAs or are cap dumps.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Spazmatic Dan
Behold the Shanaplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Totally agree. What I'm trying to outline is that this was the case both before and after Luongo made his comments, and therefore the affect they have on his trade value is only significant if multiple teams aren't interested.
Agreed, I don't think his recent comments have any negative impact on his trade value.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:57 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
What they're asking is not what they'll get. They can demand alot and only have to work their way down to the buyer's price and meet in the middle. Unless someone is dumb enough to just offer whatever it is they want. Dumb like going into a car dealership and paying sticker price.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
monster_bertuzzi

We would have to jack Edmonton blind to give them Luongo.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:59 AM
KeninsFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The price for Bernier will be similar to what Varlamov got. The upside is that it does not come with Luongo's 10 year contract.
If the Leafs are hesitant to deal a 1st for Luongo then why the hell would they do it for a very unproven Bernier?

I pray to god that Nonis protects the hell out of it.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Spazmatic Dan
Behold the Shanaplan

Quote:
Here's why I don't like a conditional first. If luongo plays lights out, but your defensive core gets decimated by injuries, or your forward line can't score and you finish lower than what Luongo would typically would have gotten you, then that's not a lack of production from what the Canucks supplied.

I would say 1st (unconditional) + Bozak or Franson or whatever Roster player that is reasonable.

That really isn't shabby imo for a goalie of Luongos caliber.
I would definitely consider this if it were an unconditional 2014 pick.

The problem with this year's draft is a short season is so unpredictable (especially for a team like the Leafs) and the draft is supposedly deep (although they say that every year it seems like).

Call me paranoid if you want.

2014 1st + Franson + prospect or a guy like Connolly if Vancouver could use him (which I think they could) is a good deal for the Leafs... I think.

Just a thought.

Old
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjonny View Post
The Leafs and Canucks are poor trading partners,

Having said that if a deal were to be made I would look for it to include:

Kulemin
Biggs
Finn
2013 1st and a 2014 2nd Or 2014 1st and 2013 2nd Toronto's choice and gives the Protection.

For Luongo

Not interested in any players who are pending UFAs or are cap dumps.
With all due respect, i'm not interested in this at all.

Old
Highlander23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
That was just an example, hence the use of the term "for example". Unlike many posters in these threads (yourself included) I don't pretend to know what Luongo is worth on the trade market. I prefer to discuss factors that affect his value, what pieces make sense for Vancouver to target, and toss in the occasional facetious comment.
Luongo+his contract is a Gomez about to happen. if you want usefull assets you want to get back in a potential deal, stop making proposals about leafs' players. Nothing of value (by your standards) would come back. bozak+gunnarson+blacker+3rd is a logic offer for both teams.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Ok understandable then that pick is obviously worth a lot less because of the safety. Thus requiring more assets.
Absolutely understandable.

I fear these threads will go on for another year because I don't think Toronto is eager to make a move, just like Vancouver can afford to wait another year.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:02 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
If the Leafs are hesitant to deal a 1st for Luongo then why the hell would they do it for a very unproven Bernier?

I pray to god that Nonis protects the hell out of it.
Thank You.

Closed Thread