HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines have to be changed for the game in LA.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:26 PM
dwood16

vCash: 500
Lines have to be changed for the game in LA.

The 3rd line is gonna get destroyed if there aren't changes made. LA getting the last change is huge.

What is the most balanced/best lineup we can throw at them? And how do you think LA will try to exploit them ? Let's analyze the possibilities.

Is coaching gonna decide the series? That terrifies me.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

We can't get the Thornton line vs Richards line matchup. That throws everything else off

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Kitten Mittons

There won't be any changes.

The only thing you can do is drop Pavs: Marleau-Couture-Wingels, Gomez-Pavelski-Burish, but I wouldn't since there is not enough depth to pull it off.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
The 3rd line is gonna get destroyed if there aren't changes made. LA getting the last change is huge.

What is the most balanced/best lineup we can throw at them? And how do you think LA will try to exploit them ? Let's analyze the possibilities.

Is coaching gonna decide the series? That terrifies me.
It really depends on what kind of lines you want to throw at them. The bottom two lines will need the most help when they can't dictate the matchups. Based on how the guys played, I'd probably go with this for tomorrow...

Galiardi-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Sheppard-Pavelski-Burish
Kearns-Gomez-Desjardins

They're going to be in tough just because they simply don't have the depth to win the matchups where the Kings will throw Kopitar or Richards' line against the third and fourth lines.

If the Sharks are going to win game 7, Thornton's line is going to have to have a hell of a game in terms of production. That line is going to need to put out two or three goals and hope another line pots one and can hold the Kings off enough.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:58 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It really depends on what kind of lines you want to throw at them. The bottom two lines will need the most help when they can't dictate the matchups. Based on how the guys played, I'd probably go with this for tomorrow...

Galiardi-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Sheppard-Pavelski-Burish
Kearns-Gomez-Desjardins

They're going to be in tough just because they simply don't have the depth to win the matchups where the Kings will throw Kopitar or Richards' line against the third and fourth lines.

If the Sharks are going to win game 7, Thornton's line is going to have to have a hell of a game in terms of production. That line is going to need to put out two or three goals and hope another line pots one and can hold the Kings off enough.
I'd swap Desi and Burish because I fear that 4th wouldn't be able to stop anyone from scoring. Plus Burish would kill any setup chances Pavs would be looking for. Desi at least looks to shoot sometimes. I agree otherwise.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:20 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
There won't be any changes.

The only thing you can do is drop Pavs: Marleau-Couture-Wingels, Gomez-Pavelski-Burish, but I wouldn't since there is not enough depth to pull it off.
Gali-JT-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels/Gomez
Sheppard-Pavelski-Wingels/Gomez
Kearns-Desjardins-Burish

Boyle-Stuart
Braun-Vlasic
Hannan-Demers

Being that this is the most important game of the season, everybody needs to play well.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Kitten Mittons

I think DW will start the same lines and then start shuffling like he's a DJ.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:43 PM
WantonAbandon

The Pavelski third line obsession continues. The Sharks top four forwards are currently out producing the Kings top four forwards BUT NO THIS TREND MUST NOT CONTINUE FOR GAME 7. Pavelski must be a third liner just because...

And floyd why in the world would you break up the fourth line? That was by far the best game the fourth line has played all series.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:50 PM
WantonAbandon

Now the one possible argument for mixing up the lines is that now that Sutter has the favorable matchups he can now effectively use Toffoli. But I'd counter by saying the most goals the Sharks have scored in this series was in LA. I wouldn't change a damn thing

Old
05-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
The Pavelski third line obsession continues. The Sharks top four forwards are currently out producing the Kings top four forwards BUT NO THIS TREND MUST NOT CONTINUE FOR GAME 7. Pavelski must be a third liner just because...

And floyd why in the world would you break up the fourth line? That was by far the best game the fourth line has played all series.
Well, first of all, the third and fourth lines as constructed will probably not fare too well on the road when Sutter gets last change. As for Pavelski's part in your trend, if he was doing any of that at even strength, I might be more inclined to stick with him in that spot. However, he's not. Pavs' production is on the power play and ONLY the power play this series. That's not changing with him centering the 3rd line.

I don't have any delusions that the fourth line is going to play the same in game 7 when things are not going to be the Sharks advantage with regards to last change, face-offs, and being able to feed off the crowd. You can keep them together if you want but Pavs on the third line gives that line a legitimate scoring threat that they don't have and also a defensive presence that they don't have. That line as Shep-Pepper-Wingels is a line that the Kings will look and likely exploit as it is.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:59 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

The difference between home and away is that the third line on the road is going to play against more top competition. Sheppard-Pavolski-Wingels is able to do that, but Sheppard-Gomez/Desjardins-Wingels cannot.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Now the one possible argument for mixing up the lines is that now that Sutter has the favorable matchups he can now effectively use Toffoli. But I'd counter by saying the most goals the Sharks have scored in this series was in LA. I wouldn't change a damn thing
What a horrible argument. They scored 3 goals in game four. That's great except they also got shut out twice and in the game they scored three, they gave up four so obviously what they've been doing in LA thus far hasn't worked and needs to be changed.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:10 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Roll with:

Desi-JT-Burns
patty-juicy-gomez
TJ-Pavs-Wingles
kearns-shepp- burish

Desi has played w/ JT in the past

Gomez GETS the puck to patty/juicy

Pavs line has more merit now

4th line solid

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 03:34 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Roll with:

Desi-JT-Burns
patty-juicy-gomez
TJ-Pavs-Wingles
kearns-shepp- burish

Desi has played w/ JT in the past

Gomez GETS the puck to patty/juicy

Pavs line has more merit now

4th line solid
TJ and Desjardins cannot be switched. TJ plays well with Burns and Thornton, he should stay up there.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:34 PM
do0glas

i think its less the lines and more the aggresive forecheck and pinching d that do us in.

sutter is able to do that more due to matchups. but the only thing id do is move pavs back down, swap with wingels. and put gomez back to 4C.

otherwise they dominate our third/fourth lines and overtax our top six.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Lockout Season

The third line will be fine if Gomez shows up.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7150 View Post
The third line will be fine if Gomez shows up.
Gomez can show up all he wants but he's still going to be on the losing end the more he faces off against Kopitar or Richards and their lines.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Gomez can show up all he wants but he's still going to be on the losing end the more he faces off against Kopitar or Richards and their lines.
And won't be able to win the battles in the corner or clear the puck.

Old
05-27-2013, 04:22 PM
SJeasy

TM did a change in game 5. Didn't work or the team didn't respond. Instead of Boyle behind JT, he had Boyle behind Couture. He tried to matchup lack of defensive ability on the blueline with top defense from the forward line. When he puts Vlasic behind Couture, TM gets his best defense with that line and best offense with Boyle behind JT. He'd been doing that on home ice until game 5.

For game 7, his best bet is to continue to explore the mixes that even out the abilities of forwards and defense such that Sutter can't expect to overwhelm any matchup. Effectively, optimize the 5 man units for evenness.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 04:25 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Well, first of all, the third and fourth lines as constructed will probably not fare too well on the road when Sutter gets last change. As for Pavelski's part in your trend, if he was doing any of that at even strength, I might be more inclined to stick with him in that spot. However, he's not. Pavs' production is on the power play and ONLY the power play this series. That's not changing with him centering the 3rd line.

I don't have any delusions that the fourth line is going to play the same in game 7 when things are not going to be the Sharks advantage with regards to last change, face-offs, and being able to feed off the crowd. You can keep them together if you want but Pavs on the third line gives that line a legitimate scoring threat that they don't have and also a defensive presence that they don't have. That line as Shep-Pepper-Wingels is a line that the Kings will look and likely exploit as it is.
So Pavelski has only scored on the power play... ok Kopitar has only two points for the whole series and one of those points was at even strength. Here let me put it to you this way. At even strength the Kings so far lead the series by 7/5. The Sharks tied with them 2/2 at home and trailed 5/3 on the road. So its a bit of a mixed bag since the sharks have scored more even strength goals on the road. Also the Kings have scored 3 out of their four ppgs at home...

Old
05-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
They scored two in game four. So Pavelski has only scored on the power play... ok Kopitar has only two points for the whole series and one of those points was at even strength. Here let me put it to you this way. At even strength the Kings so far lead the series at even strength by 7/5. The Sharks tied with them 2/2 at home and trailed 5/3 on the road. So its a bit of a mixed bag since the sharks have scored more even strength goals on the road. Also the Kings have scored 3 out of their four ppgs at home...
I don't see your point with any of this. The bottom line is that Pavelski hasn't done much of any contributing at even strength with Marleau and Couture. He doesn't help them offensively and he doesn't help them defensively. Pavs is also better as a center anyway.

The Sharks give themselves the best chance to win game 7 on the road by putting Pavs on the 3rd line pivot.

However, all that being said, if the guys win draws at the clip they did in game 5, they don't have a snowball's chance in hell anyway.

Old
05-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
The difference between home and away is that the third line on the road is going to play against more top competition. Sheppard-Pavolski-Wingels is able to do that, but Sheppard-Gomez/Desjardins-Wingels cannot.

Exactly. Moving Pavs back down is as much about getting better D from the 3rd line as it is getting offense.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 04:47 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
I don't see your point with any of this. The bottom line is that Pavelski hasn't done much of any contributing at even strength with Marleau and Couture. He doesn't help them offensively and he doesn't help them defensively. Pavs is also better as a center anyway.

The Sharks give themselves the best chance to win game 7 on the road by putting Pavs on the 3rd line pivot.

However, all that being said, if the guys win draws at the clip they did in game 5, they don't have a snowball's chance in hell anyway.
They have been even with the Kings every single game except game 5. In fact the -2 is equal to the Sharks even strength goal differential in the series. So your solution is to water couture line down... that doesn't make any sense.

Old
05-27-2013, 05:22 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
TM did a change in game 5. Didn't work or the team didn't respond. Instead of Boyle behind JT, he had Boyle behind Couture. He tried to matchup lack of defensive ability on the blueline with top defense from the forward line. When he puts Vlasic behind Couture, TM gets his best defense with that line and best offense with Boyle behind JT. He'd been doing that on home ice until game 5.

For game 7, his best bet is to continue to explore the mixes that even out the abilities of forwards and defense such that Sutter can't expect to overwhelm any matchup. Effectively, optimize the 5 man units for evenness.
Do you actually root for the Sharks? Just wondering cause you always post insightful stuff like this, but I've never seen you post anything like "yay! Sharks score!" Or "Go Sharks!" Or anything like that, but you always post here and your name is SJEasy, so you actually have emotional attachment to the sharks? JW.

Old
05-27-2013, 05:29 PM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

DO NOT TOUCH tHE 4TH LINE.

But ya thr third line needs something. I think pavs and someone from te current third line need to switch. The third line os just awful. Why is shep so bad?

crunchyblack* is offline   Reply With Quote