HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI takes Thomas Hickey

Old
01-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Evolution10
Best In The World

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Crazy how far he's fallen since being drafted 4th overall to being a waiver wire pick-up.. Always thought he'd be a talented D-man.
Was about to say the same thing, good move by the Isles though, the talent and potential is eithout a doubt still there.

Evolution10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:27 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Smart pickup. Was shocked to see him on waivers so soon.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
How old is Hickey?

edit - never mind, 23. That's not too old, still time to make a name for himself.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broad

As a Caps fan I remember the moment Hickey was drafted very vividly.

We were all expecting Lombardi to take Alzner which would leave Gagner for us to take. Just as Lombardi was about to pick, Pierre Mcguire chimed in about Lombardi being known for off the board picks. After Hickey was taken, Mcphee nearly ****ed up and took Gagner. He started "The Washington Capitals select from the London Knights..." then realized his mistake and took Alzner. Hilarious.

That draft worked out well for the Caps. Best of luck to Hickey.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
legendinblue
Trust in Hunter

Can't hurt, solid pickup.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
What a ****ing idiot Lombardi is. The kid is the smartest defenseman in Manchester and has finally become a solid defensive defenseman who can still move the puck a little bit and he never gives him a shot. Such a ****ing joke. Why draft him that high if you're never gunna give him a shot?
He has a defense in place that won the Cup last year. Who do you bench to give Hickey a shot?

It isn't Lombardi's fault that a couple of prospects (Martinez & Voynov) played their way ahead of Hickey.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

OP, I love your username.

I really like this pickup. Makes losing Visnovsky a little better (not saying he'll replace him).

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
pld459666

good pick up for the Islanders.

doesn't work out? No harm no foul.

Smart

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:30 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
What a ****ing idiot Lombardi is. The kid is the smartest defenseman in Manchester and has finally become a solid defensive defenseman who can still move the puck a little bit and he never gives him a shot. Such a ****ing joke. Why draft him that high if you're never gunna give him a shot?
Not giving players spots in your lineup based on draft position tells me the organization is run pretty well.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
They were busy winning a Stanley Cup. Hickey obviously didn't fit in that plan...

Hickey just was a calamity of misfortune. When we drafted him, we had hoped he would fill a 3-4 spot behind Johnson, but then he got injured, needed surgery, and then we drafted Doughty. By the time he was ready to go there was Johnson and Doughty ahead of him, and then was competing against Voynov and Martinez and wasn't able to beat them out for the 5-6 slot.

Hickey lost his spot to Voynov and Martinez fair and square. It is clearly evident that Dean made the right choice at this point.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:31 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
He has a defense in place that won the Cup last year. Who do you bench to give Hickey a shot?

It isn't Lombardi's fault that a couple of prospects (Martinez & Voynov) played their way ahead of Hickey.
Mitchell is hurt for 7 weeks. And Bodnarchuk got called up over Hickey. He should have been on the team this year fighting Whiskey for ice time until Mitchie is back.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Why didn't Hickey ever make it to the NHL? I honestly have never heard of him until now, and I watched the 2007 Entry Draft

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
fsanford

Quote:
Give him a shot over who?

Voynov passed him by, Martinez Passed him by,, What good would it be to have him sit in LA as maybe, and I do mean maybe a seventh defensemen.

Your draft position does not entitle you a spot on the NHL roster. Sometimes guys develop sometimes guys don't. Especially when you are talking defensemen who take longer (normally) to develop.

Plus how many freaking puck moving defensemen do the Kings need.

The interesting thing about the Hickey draft was the later round picks for the Kings actually ended up producing a lot more.

Last edited by fsanford: 01-15-2013 at 11:38 AM.
fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Not giving players spots in your lineup based on draft position tells me the organization is run pretty well.
Not what I meant. I meant it was dumb asset management waiving a guy drafted that high who is finally ready to play in the NHL over a Fa signing who is a clear step below Hickey.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Disappointed because I wanted him in Ottawa

Oh well..

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:36 AM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
i came to address your comment but everyone beat me to it...We had a log jam of defense men and Hickey couldnt beat anyone out for the job, thats a good position for us to be in and a bad position for him to be in. How long are we supposed to hang on to these kids for? keep them in the minors until they're 30? he needs a shot at playing in the NHL and here it is, if had stayed here in LA he wouldn't have gotten a shot for who knows how long.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Not what I meant. I meant it was dumb asset management waiving a guy drafted that high who is finally ready to play in the NHL over a Fa signing who is a clear step below Hickey.
The Kings aren't going to risk Hickey in a shutdown role just so they can squeeze a mid to late pick out of him. Lombardi wouldn't put him on waivers if he had takers on him and other teams are smart enough to know that Lombardi would eventually have to place him on waivers...

There was no place for Hickey on this team. Just because Hickey has higher potential than Muzzin and the like, doesn't mean that he can fill their role. We don't need a puck moving defenseman that cannot move the puck.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:38 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Andrew Campbell would of been called up before Hickey IMO. I dont think DL when he drafted Hickey had any intention of leaving him in the minors for 5 years. he has been slow to develop TBH and has been passed in the organization depth chart.
Dont believe everything the Manchester Union Leader tells you.
good luck to Hickey on the Isles.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:39 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
they waived him so they wouldn't have to waive him again later should the need have arisen that necessitated his being called up.

it's a little easier to sneak a player through before the season starts and most, if not all teams have a healthy group of players.

Hickey was twice injured at inopportune times, and was thus passed up on the depth chart by other defensemen... and like others have mentioned, two of those played vital roles on their championship team.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

Quote:
Yes...what an idiot Lombardi is. He just assembled the team that won the Cup last year.

The Kings have tons of depth. Good move by the Islanders to pick him up...hopefully he becomes a decent defenseman for them.

I thought he was too talented not to be an NHL'er one day in some capacity. Let's see what he does with renewed hope. He's still just 23 years old...we've seen late bloomers before.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
damacles1156

Good for Hickey to get a shot.

Cause it wasn't going to happen with the Kings. They are in love with Muzzin's overrated Size.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Disappointed because I wanted him in Ottawa

Oh well..
Same I wanted Ottawa to take a chance! Whatever hope he blooms in NYI I really like hickey

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:45 AM
MeestaDeteta

Definition of a bust pick, but maybe he can still make a career for himself yet.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:46 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

good move for the NYI

I still have hopes for Hickey

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:46 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Andrew Campbell would of been called up before Hickey IMO. I dont think DL when he drafted Hickey had any intention of leaving him in the minors for 5 years. he has been slow to develop TBH and has been passed in the organization depth chart.
Dont believe everything the Manchester Union Leader tells you.
good luck to Hickey on the Isles.
people have a bad tendency to overreact, and they fail to wrap their head around how players are slotted. you see it all the time - 2nd line guy goes down, team recalls 3rd line guy to replace 3rd line guy on the big club who has been re-slotted into injured 2nd line guy's role... a large cow ensues because minor league 'highly touted' prospect who's leading the team in scoring wasn't called up instead.

when a guy like Mitchell goes down, they are most likely going to recall guys within that layer... and like you said, someone like Campbell would get the nod WELL ahead of Hickey - whether he's "ahead" of him on the depth chart or not.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote